3%
  • Neutral 95 votes
    19%
  • *I actually like EVs* 269 votes
    55%

(489 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 16-44-36 EV vs. Gas Which Cars Are Cheaper to Own (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 7.44.38?AM (resized).png
IMG_5069 (resized).JPG
Screenshot 2024-04-14 at 8.10.29?AM (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-17-22 Ford targets Tesla owners with $1 500 EV 'conquest' rebates (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 01-19-38 Family Own A Tesla Get $1 500 Off A Ford Mustang Mach-E Carscoops (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 11-54-36 Best Solar Generator for Home Backup Power EcoFlow US (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 09-48-53 EcoFlow DELTA Pro 2 × 220W Solar Panel DELTA Pro Extra Battery D - (Members-only) DELTA Pro 2
248edf2c-1a41-4790-a83f-64f0bd20ad95 (resized).png
f285d5d3-ceec-4b7f-a741-0770ba2431ef (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240409_134107.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
200w.gif
There are 10,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 201.
#5001 1 year ago
Quoted from jakethesnake181:

I dont see any electric vehicles pulling cars and trucks out of the snow in Baltimore or anywhere for that matter, what a joke , electric isnt the answer

I don’t understand the quote, I don’t see any motorcycles or trains or buses or whatever I can come up with, pulling vehicles out of the snow either :S)so those are not the answer either, just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not happening

Just seems fact less and narrow minded statement imo just sayin

Ok hit me with more garbage quotes, lol feeling frisky today

#5002 1 year ago
Quoted from jakethesnake181:

I dont see any electric vehicles pulling cars and trucks out of the snow in Baltimore or anywhere for that matter, what a joke , electric isnt the answer

Boomer, come out here to Buffalo.

We've got every kind of truck, ev truck, armored car, bobcat and whatnot all pulling ICE cars out of the snow.

wearenotready (resized).jpgwearenotready (resized).jpg

snowjob (resized).jpgsnowjob (resized).jpg
#5003 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He has now even beat the **businessman** who held the record as the world's biggest loser.

I would still happily trade bank accounts with him. He won massively before he lost a little.

#5004 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I would still happily trade bank accounts with him. He won massively before he lost a little.

I dunno man, money ruins everything.

#5005 1 year ago

All the people who died frozen in their cars probably wished they had gotten stuck in a fully charged EV...

#5006 1 year ago
Quoted from Ribs:

All the people who died in frozen in their cars probably wished they had gotten stuck in a fully charged EV...

Ooooof
That jokes in poor taste man. 26 families in Buffalo would definitely downvote that one.

#5007 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Ya no doubt what’s a few billion when you have hundreds of them lol

#5008 1 year ago
Quoted from Ribs:

All the people who died frozen in their cars probably wished they had gotten stuck in a fully charged EV...

A fully charged EV running only the heater would likely last for several days.

#5009 1 year ago

"Despite the domination of steam locomotives on the railroad for almost 70 years, new technologies began to emerge around the turn of the century that would eventually revolutionize railroad travel. Although diesel engines first appeared at the end of the nineteenth century, it was not until General Electric combined it with electricity in 1917, that the technology became suitable for locomotives. Still, railroads did not incorporate these unproven locomotives until government, in the 1920s, mandated railroad companies to eliminate air-polluting steamers from urban rail yards. In 1925, General Electric, in partnership with Ingersoll-Rand and the American Locomotive Company (ALCO), created the first commercially successful diesel-electric locomotive, identified as the No. 1000."

Just in case anyone didn't realize trains were running on electric motors.

And the government made them do it.

#5010 1 year ago

That was all covered earlier in this thread. Same goes for all of the big ocean vessels other than the few powered by nuclear. The diesel-electric power system is a reliable, economical and powerful solution. The key is though, you still need to burn fossil fuel to power the electric engine.

#5011 1 year ago

... and a train can move 1 ton of freight 500 miles, on one gallon of fuel

#5012 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I feel like with EVs we are starting to hit "terminal velocity" on cars. When you can do 0-60 in < 2 seconds, what's left? Will 1.5 be different/better than 1.8?
Soon that kind of performance will just be table stakes. Cars will have to compete on handling, styling, fit/finish and software.
EDIT: and likely, charging time which Porsche has prioritized in their EV efforts.

It's already stupid for a street car. There is zero need for 2 or 4 second 0-60 times on the street.

#5013 1 year ago

Finally saw a Rivian pickup truck in a Vegas neighborhood last night....

20221230_201419 (resized).jpg20221230_201419 (resized).jpg
#5014 1 year ago

You pick your mode

Normal - driving with max battery life
Sport - to show your ICE friends what they are missing in the 0 to 60s
Towing - adjusts the torque & brake assist for boat, camper, construction
Off Road - traction fun
Snow and ice control

Most people are never going to use too much of the 0 to 60 EV craziness, but the mode is there if you want it

#5015 1 year ago

Two tankless water heaters at HD for $299 (yep, $150 each)

I guess you could put one in each bathroom for instant hot water

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-18-kW-3-73-GPM-Residential-Electric-Tankless-Water-Heater-Ideal-for-1-Bedroom-Home-Up-to-3-Simultaneous-Applications-BD-18HD/312680124

Screenshot 2022-12-31 at 19-41-43 BD-18-DWH (18kW) Black Decker (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-12-31 at 19-41-43 BD-18-DWH (18kW) Black Decker (resized).png
#5016 1 year ago

Those babies draw 75 amps each! I hope you don’t have to pick between charging your car or having hot water!

#5017 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That was all covered earlier in this thread. Same goes for all of the big ocean vessels other than the few powered by nuclear. The diesel-electric power system is a reliable, economical and powerful solution. The key is though, you still need to burn fossil fuel to power the electric engine.

Diesel-electric would be a vast ecological improvement. The majority of cargo ships still run on HFO (aka: bunker fuel), and only swap to diesel when near port (just to cover up how dirty they are). HFO is very economical, but it’s about as environmentally friendly as it sounds (burning a tar pit).

#5018 1 year ago
Quoted from PlanetExpress:

Diesel-electric would be a vast ecological improvement. The majority of cargo ships still run on HFO (aka: bunker fuel), and only swap to diesel when near port (just to cover up how dirty they are). HFO is very economical, but it’s about as environmentally friendly as it sounds (burning a tar pit).

Good information. Apparently cruise ships use HFO quite a bit also, although trying to improve.

#5019 1 year ago
Quoted from rwmech5:

Those babies draw 75 amps each! I hope you don’t have to pick between charging your car or having hot water!

It's only on for 5 minutes while you take a shower.

{It might also turn on at a low level, if it detects that the pipes are going to freeze)

#5020 1 year ago

You obviously don't have teenagers in your house.

#5021 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballizfun:

It's already stupid for a street car. There is zero need for 2 or 4 second 0-60 times on the street.

THIS! (resized).jpgTHIS! (resized).jpg

#5022 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Most people are never going to use too much of the 0 to 60 EV craziness, but the mode is there if you want it

You say that...once you're used to it, it becomes addictive. All other cars feel like they are standing still.
Now, I don't do full sport+ mode launch controls on the daily...but standing starts from every stoplight? Absolutely.

The instant power+torque is what makes these things so special, IMO.

#5023 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

A fully charged EV running only the heater would likely last for several days.

Here's a real world example of being stuck:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-driver-survived-14-hour-traffic-jam-battery-range-2022-1

#5024 1 year ago

Saw two debadged Teslas in Vegas today. a 3 and a Y. Maybe the cult's army is starting to abandon ship. Only got a pic of the 3. Frunk emblem was also removed.

20230101_124449 (resized).jpg20230101_124449 (resized).jpg
#5025 1 year ago

Something about d-bag cult frunk-ship?? I must be hung over!

Now I see it - no tesla badge on the car!

#5026 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Saw two debadged Teslas in Vegas today. a 3 and a Y. Maybe the cult's army is starting to abandon ship. Only got a pic of the 3. Frunk emblem was also removed.[quoted image]

Yep - apparently sales have taken a steep drive and they've done some price cuts to incentivize purchases.
Used Tesla prices dropping also.

Elon really screwed things up.

#5027 1 year ago

D217E833-5794-47B6-B3DE-47783B0AA9E8 (resized).jpegD217E833-5794-47B6-B3DE-47783B0AA9E8 (resized).jpeg

Might not be seeing as many vanity plates lately…

#5028 1 year ago

Popping off the $2 piece of plastic…
Wow, give these guys a metal of fucking honor

#5029 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Only got a pic of the 3. Frunk emblem was also removed.

Hard to tell but it looks like a matte black wrap. Could they have just removed them to install the wrap then decided they liked the clean look? I haven’t seen any de-badging on the east coast but I’ll keep my eyes open.

#5030 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

apparently sales have taken a steep drive and they've done some price cuts to incentivize purchases.

I’ve heard and seen other articles claiming how bad the price cut news is too. But Tesla raised prices on Y for over a year and only lowered them recently. Yes, probably to boost EOY numbers, but still Y is 10% more expensive today than it was just a year ago.

As for sales diving - we will have to see next week (and EOM at ER) when numbers come out but I’m guessing they will have sold every car they could make last quarter. China demand may end up showing a little soft but they just export any remaining cars to Europe, as always.

For shareholders it’s more about high production and low inventory on hand than one market’s ebb and flow. China had 1,500 local sales in April then 77,000 sales in May. China’s numbers vary wildly month to month - but total Q4 sales are most likely a new delivery record. You can’t have steep diving sales and new all time high delivery records at the same time.

#5031 1 year ago

<block quote cite="#7325225">You say that...once you're used to it, it becomes addictive. All other cars feel like they are standing still.
Now, I don't do full sport+ mode launch controls on the daily...but standing starts from every stoplight? Absolutely.
The instant power+torque is what makes these things so special, IMO.

You must like buying new tires often…

#5032 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Hard to tell but it looks like a matte black wrap. Could they have just removed them to install the wrap then decided they liked the clean look? I haven’t seen any de-badging on the east coast but I’ll keep my eyes open.

The Y was white standard gloss paint.
My son wrapped his TT several years ago. He reinstalled all badges with new trim tape.

#5033 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

You must like buying new tires often…

Yep every 10K or so.

Though the last set of Michelin PS4S on the prior car was still great 11K in.

#5034 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yep every 10K or so.

So toss any notion of economy out the window if you are buying a new set of tires every 10K or so….

My last set of Michelins for a Honda Civic was damn near $800 installed.

#5035 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So toss any notion of economy out the window if you are buying a new set of tires every 10K or so….
My last set of Michelins for a Honda Civic was damn near $800 installed.

Gotta pay to play.

At least I don’t have the tires PLUS plugs/belts/oil/service.

#5036 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Gotta pay to play.
At least I don’t have the tires PLUS plugs/belts/oil/service.

Plugs every 100,000 mi $100 or so
Belts every 100,000 mi $100-200
Oil every 10,000 mi $60-100

Those costs come out to about what your valve caps cost every 10,000 miles, let alone 4 new tires.

I bought a set of 80,000 mile Michelin Defenders in 2021 for less than $600 out the door.

In other news, the latest headliner for the EV haters:

https://www.businessinsider.com/rented-tesla-stopped-six-times-one-day-charge-hertz-2023-01

#5037 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Plugs every 100,000 mi $100 or so
Belts every 100,000 mi $100-200
Oil every 10,000 mi $60-100
Those costs come out to about what your valve caps cost every 10,000 miles, let alone 4 new tires.
I bought a set of 80,000 mile Michelin Defenders in 2021 for less than $600 out the door.
In other news, the latest headliner for the EV haters:
https://www.businessinsider.com/rented-tesla-stopped-six-times-one-day-charge-hertz-2023-01

Oh you sweet summer child.

Let me educate you on what it’s like in Porsche-land.

Oil every 10K $550.
“Major Service” every 20K to the tune of 2-3K. Sometimes plugs, sometimes belts.

I’m a Porsche junkie and by switching to their EV I am finally enjoying their driving experience without the service pain.

#5038 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Oh you sweet summer child.
Let me educate you on what it’s like in Porsche-land.
Oil every 10K $550.
“Major Service” every 20K to the tune of 2-3K. Sometimes plugs, sometimes belts.
I’m a Porsche junkie and by switching to their EV I am finally enjoying their driving experience without the service pain.

One service call is just about more than the entire value of my car

#5039 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

One service call is just about more than the entire value of my car

Don’t even get me started if there’s brake jobs, or something breaks out of warranty.
The MSRP is only the beginning of the financial pain!

These things though…they drive like nothing else.

Never try one.

#5040 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The Y was white standard gloss paint.
My son wrapped his TT several years ago. He reinstalled all badges with new trim tape.

Right, but the one in the picture you posted has been wrapped matte. Look how shiny the windows are compared to the paint. Look how shiny the black car is that’s in front and one lane to the left of it. It also has an aftermarket spoiler so the owner likes to customize their car. Many owners decide not to re badge their wrapped cars. All I’m saying is I wouldn’t include them in your count.

0DE521ED-93F4-4902-8078-0A2A673F0160 (resized).png0DE521ED-93F4-4902-8078-0A2A673F0160 (resized).png
#5041 1 year ago

I usually drive my Model 3 AWD like I stole it. I paid for the performance and it’s one of the things that sold me on the car. I’m going to enjoy every bit of it, even if it is hard on tires.

That said I surprisingly got 44k miles out of my factory 19” Continentals. My car has had a day at the track too and also had a performance chip installed at 20k miles. So half of those miles were with the chip - unlocked rear motor to P level so 0-60 went from 4.2 seconds to 3.1 seconds.

When I replaced the Continentals I went with michelin crossclimate 2‘s that have a 60k mile warranty. If I wear them out before that then Michelins will offer a prorated warranty. I have 12k on them and don’t see any noticeable wear. I do believe I got a good built 3 though. When I had my tires rotated at 10, 20, 30k etc the tech said they were wearing almost dead even and really didn’t need to be rotated. So some of it could be each individual car’s set up.

#5042 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Don’t even get me started if there’s brake jobs, or something breaks out of warranty.
The MSRP is only the beginning of the financial pain!
These things though…they drive like nothing else.
Never try one.

I have, they are great. I have a friend that has a Carrera. Personally I like Boxsters. Another thing Porsche is great at is the setup for ordering your new car. You start out with a nice one that's $65k and think, hey that's not too bad. Then you go through the build your car process, and even if you try your best to keep it reigned in there are so many cool things you gotta have, next thing you know it becomes a $90,000 car. Or more.

And then, that's only the beginning, as you pointed out, of the expenses to come...

#5043 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

You start out with a nice one that's $65k and think, hey that's not too bad. Then you go through the build your car process, and even if you try your best to keep it reigned in there are so many cool things you gotta have, next thing you know it becomes a $90,000 car. Or more.

The struggle is real. They really beat you up on options, and many of the options are really baseline needs.

#5044 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Used Tesla prices dropping also.

All used car prices are dropping

#5045 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

All used car prices are dropping

That is true, and it's about time. It was crazytown for a while.

#5046 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So toss any notion of economy out the window

Dude, he buys Porsches.

#5047 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yep every 10K or so.

Same tires I use on my 370Z. They are soft indeed, wear out quickly compared to "normal" tires, but grip can't be beat.

#5048 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Same tires I use on my 370Z. They are soft indeed, wear out quickly, but grip can't be beat.

Indeed. Love driving them, hate replacing them

#5049 1 year ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Indeed. Love driving them, hate replacing them

I'm due for some rears at around $1,000 installed. Don't know about your cars, but on the Z the fronts last about twice as long as the rears.

#5050 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I'm due for some rears at around $1,000 installed. Don't know about your cars, but on the Z the fronts last about twice as long as the rears (replaced those last year).

Exactly how mine end up wearing. On my 911s and the Taycans.

There are 10,026 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 201.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-i-hate-evs-thread/page/101?hl=pinballizfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.