(Topic ID: 274261)

The Hurricane Isaias Thread - Have you tested your generator?

By mcluvin

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jaytrem
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

42FFE0EA-B861-419C-84F4-30E8C2E41020 (resized).png
    7F2F9BAC-6D53-4293-A03C-D8AA594123E6 (resized).jpeg
    isaias (resized).PNG
    #1 3 years ago

Ahh... The hum of generator testing is in the air. Looks like it wants to come closer to Florida, but shouldn't be too bad for me. Maybe it will blow my dead leaves into the neighbor's yard?

You folks ready?

isaias (resized).PNGisaias (resized).PNG

#2 3 years ago

I’m ready, nothing else to stock up on. 250g diesel tank at 3/4, 150g gas tank at 1/2. Tested generators back in June. Doubt this storm will do much other than bring in a pleasant breeze.

#3 3 years ago

I hadn't tested my generator in awhile, but she cranked right up with a little starter fluid. Gonna grab another can and maybe more beer. Need to clean out my gutters, trim a few more branches, and pick up some odds and ends around the yard. Duke made some upgrades to our power lines a year or 2 ago. They've been better about keeping up with the trees too. Hopefully no long term power outages this time. All the models are saying no worse than a Cat 1 for the next 48 hours anyway. There's a section of highway in my county that's already underwater. That might get interesting...

#4 3 years ago

I test my generator on the 1st of the month, every month aka 12 times a year.

#5 3 years ago

And remove old gas every 6 months. Even though I put stabilize in it. And fill it up.

#6 3 years ago

U guys need to put addative in your diesel too, it's not as long term stable you think. I've always used john deere fuel conditioner, year around.

#7 3 years ago

To anyone who works on a roof all day in 90+ degree 90+% humidity and full sun, you have my respect. An hour kicked my ass.

Well, I'm ready. The storm can make its turn away from me now. Time to drink beer and wait.

#8 3 years ago

This was a new one for me. Had ~5 minutes of "yep, it's here" and just like that it was gone. Good luck to you Carolina folks!

#9 3 years ago

I am last customer rural Dominion power line . Their corporate view cheaper to fix down lines rather than trim right of way vegetation . I get to test my generator more often than I care for .

Diesel additive good thing . Recently I found out the mix with biodiesel produces
    potential issue with algae growth . This is why mission crucial applications use fuel " polishing " to ensure clean supply .

Do not forget importance properly installed transfer switch !!!!

Best luck if bad weather comes your way ! Shane

#10 3 years ago

Disappointed. Didn’t even get the pleasant breeze I was hoping for.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I’m never disappointed to not have to deal with any aspect of a hurricane.

#12 3 years ago

If you work outside for a living, you tend to enjoy the breeze. Shortens the summer. I’m not talking hurricane force winds.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

I am last customer rural Dominion power line . Their corporate view cheaper to fix down lines rather than trim right of way vegetation . I get to test my generator more often than I care for .
    Diesel additive good thing . Recently I found out the mix with biodiesel produces
    potential issue with algae growth . This is why mission crucial applications use fuel " polishing " to ensure clean supply .
    Do not forget importance properly installed transfer switch !!!!
    Best luck if bad weather comes your way ! Shane

Also, the addative puts sulfur back in your diesel, which is a huge lubricant

#14 3 years ago

I have a generac wired into the house. It tests every Thursday, so we are good to go. I live on the water, so we are expecting 5 in of rain and a 2 foot surge. Nothing too bad. Everybody stay safe.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Usually it gets a little cooler right before something blows in. That didn't really happen. But then again, nothing really blew in. That was a tease for us. I'm not complaining. I'm still waiting for a new roof to be installed. I don't really want to go through any substantial weather with my current roof.

#16 3 years ago

Serviced my chainsaw today, and mowed. Don't use a generator but have a Coleman stove ready to go and many kerosene lanterns.

#17 3 years ago

Welp, dodged a major bullet yesterday, since no trees came down on the property, but basically all the roads around us are closed due to downed trees and power lines. The number of outages in CT is equivalent to some storms that took upwards of 2 weeks to fix, so hoping we’re on the shorter side of that timeline! Luckily our current house has a generator, so we’re able to keep the fridge and well running!

(I’m not sure why the pins weren’t included on that list of essentials! )

#18 3 years ago

Am I the only one here that still has no power??? At least I got to play a few games of Comet at my mom's yesterday. Latest restoration estimate is Sunday.

#19 3 years ago

Nope, I’m still without power as well. Trucks finally have been around yesterday and today, so I’m hoping we get power before Monday. After that we have to get our cable/internet back as well—they can’t do anything until the power lines are back up.

We have about 5-6 trees tangled up in wires like this around. It’s bad, but nowhere near as bad as the 2011 ice storm.
    7F2F9BAC-6D53-4293-A03C-D8AA594123E6 (resized).jpeg7F2F9BAC-6D53-4293-A03C-D8AA594123E6 (resized).jpeg

For comparison, I had more than 5-6 trees down in just my yard in 2011. Our entire town looked like this video!

#20 3 years ago

Never mind, power came back about 40 minutes ago! Hope you get yours back soon too!

#21 3 years ago

A crew from Oklahoma is outside working on it now. Wish they could have gotten here a little Sooner! Ba Da Dum!

#22 3 years ago

42FFE0EA-B861-419C-84F4-30E8C2E41020 (resized).png42FFE0EA-B861-419C-84F4-30E8C2E41020 (resized).png
    Josephine?

#23 3 years ago

Power finally came on an hour ago. Hopefully I didn't lose what little pinball skills I had.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hurricane-isaias-thread-have-you-tested-your-generator?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.