(Topic ID: 293054)

The Homemade Pizza Thread (aka: Who makes their own pizza?)

By Rodent

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 684 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_201720 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240405_185633888 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240405_181102099 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9425 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9426 (resized).jpeg
    c6c8303b-4bca-4010-9242-205f9221e26f (resized).jpg
    IMG_9297 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8116 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9051 (resized).jpeg
    20221123_194237 (resized).jpg
    20231014_141458 (resized).jpg
    20240112_151538.jpg
    20231202_180538.jpg
    20231202_180407.jpg
    20231202_180340.jpg
    IMG_8191 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from eyeamred2u:

Blackstone no longer sells it, but you can find these on marketplaces for sale all the time. Cooks evenly with the upper and lower stones.

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from TheGunnett:

The manufacturer was Pizza2Stone but I’m not sure if they are still in business.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Blackstone ripped off the 2stone design, but they're both the two best pizza ovens that have been commercially produced for residential use. both have the rotating pizza stone with mega high BTU (60000) propane burner, 2stone's is moveable. major advantage over the ooni and roccbox products since you can slide it in and wait until it's baked without any tending needed.

i've been cooking pizza at home for the past 15+ years, built three different pizza ovens myself. I used the Breville Pizzaiolo for about a year before selling it, it's the best option available for 120V home outlets. Currently using a Blackstone. Use it for neapolitan, NY and new haven style, use my home oven for pan pizza styles like detroit and L&B spumoni gardens.

last cook was 16 pizzas for the block party.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from LitzDoc:

especially fresh Mozzarella

i find most fresh mozzarella to be almost flavorless. usually melts nicely, but the more flavorful fresh mozzarellas use cultures instead of citric acid/vinegar. Or just use buffalo mozzarella.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

So what difference in taste would I experience between say, a Blackstone oven ( propane I presume?) , a conventional kitchen oven and a wood fired oven. I have only baked one in our kitchen oven.

long answer incoming. the main difference is the temperature you can cook at. most home ovens max out at 550F, blackstone and woodfired ovens can reach 900F ambient temperature or higher. the high temp lets you get charred spots (called leoparding when it looks like leopard spots) on your crust very quickly (2 minutes or less) while your home oven can sometimes struggle to even brown the dough in 10 minutes (using the broiler and high malt flour or high sugar dough can help with this issue).

New York style can be approximated in a home oven, some styles can be done perfectly well in a home oven, but Neapolitan needs 900F or hotter.

Differences in taste essentially come down to that temperature difference, foremost the char spots. Some people say there's a flavor imparted from the wood when you cook in a woodfired oven. I've never done a side by side comparison but it's not something I've ever noticed. Another reason I don't believe it is that smoked foods are generally cooked low and slow, while wood fired pizza tends to be the opposite, hot and fast. Slow cooking in a wood fire gives the smoke time to adhere to the food being cooked. For the low vs hot, low heat fire creates a lot of smoke, a wood fired oven running full blast will actually become smokeless (at 1100F).

There are also textural differences due to the temperature. Neapolitan pizza usually has a very soft crust, the high temp cooks it quickly without cooking off much moisture. This also means the crust doesn't really get crispy/crunchy the way New York style can.

7 months later
    #170 2 years ago

some recent ones. the green is creamed chard. the one with onions is bbq chicken, red onion and some cheddar on top. these were from the same dough, but usually for the NY style I'd use a lower hydration.
    pinns2 (resized).jpgpinns2 (resized).jpgpinss (resized).jpgpinss (resized).jpg

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

is that a special pizza scissor above ?

yes, i think these are made by chef'n but the important feature is the offset blades

#177 2 years ago

as a comparison, the 16" Ooni ovens have burners at ~24000-30000 BTU depending on model, Blackstone pizza ovens use 60000 BTU burners, Versa uses 9600 BTU infrared burner below the stone, with 15000 BTU burner in back. Gozney Dome is 28000

1 week later
    #189 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

What's the best bang for the buck gas pizza oven.
    Looking to start making some pizza pies in a couple weeks. Thanks

this is a question of what type of pizza you're hoping to make. If you're aiming for New York Style or "American" Style (dominos/pizza hut) or Detroit Style or even New Haven style, you can get very good results from your home oven (whether it's gas or electric).

If you're trying to make neapolitan style, i would wait to see what kind of results people get from the halo (linked somewhere above) because the rotating pizza stone is a huge advantage over manually turning in such small ovens and for efficiency making multiple pizzas as the only cook.

#193 2 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

The rotating stone is only a gimmick and looks like real trouble!

Not sure i understand this complaint. Have you owned an oven with rotating stone? The 2stone and Blackstone pizza ovens both use rotating pizza stones, and it makes the oven easier to use. It's certainly not a gimmick... Whether it looks like trouble is a different question, I've replaced the motor twice in the 6 years I've owned the Blackstone, once free under warranty, once with $25 rotisserie motor. But, I've never had to worry about re-orienting a pie mid-bake

I'll also add that adding a motorized stone for the Ooni is one of the most popular mods (see fb group "ooni hack")

3 weeks later
    #244 2 years ago

Honestly I'm surprised there are people who will spend $2000 on a pizza oven and then use a $3 jar of sauce but if you like it, do you.

For neapolitan i just add salt to a can of crushed tomatoes
    (Find a brand you like, i look for ones that have only tomatoes or tomatoes and salt as the only ingredients) and use like that. In summer I'll chop up good tomatoes set them to drain in a strainer, blend/chop them after dripping for a while, mix with salt. For cheese i think buffalo mozzarella is worth the price, or stella brand fresh mozzarella if i can find it. Most fresh mozzarella doesn't have much flavor (if it has "cultures" in the ingredients that's good, if it has vinegar or acetic acid it will be bland)

For basically any other style i use serious eats ny style sauce recipe (sub crushed tomatoes for whole peeled). Use low moisture whole milk mozzarella (cultures in the ingredients here too) in block form, shred at home, don't use pre-shredded.

These are just for straightforward sauce and cheese pizzas obviously, but pizza works great with literally any toppings that go together. Just don't overload with toppings (especially wet toppings/uncooked vegetables), that's the downfall of many beginners.

2 weeks later
    #268 2 years ago

it is a style called the Egg-Shell Crust. /blockquote>

That thin brown layer is very impressive, can you add some details about the dough ingredients and the preparation of the pizza, e.g. did you press it into a pan, rise it in the pan after stretching, oiled pan, etc?

Thanks!

#275 2 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

A stone is probably better when cooking above 650F I would think.

Getting the balance right might be a little tricky, but you could use a steel heated to say 550 with the oven chamber at a higher temperature, which would be similar to a stone at 650 (or whatever), no?

#286 2 years ago
    Quoted from arkuz:

you have to be absolutely expert at lunching the pizza in there

You could give it a try with building and launching your pizzas on parchment paper, no flour/cornmeal needed, let the crust set a bit and then pull the paper out. trim the paper to size if you don't want it to burn before you remove it.

4 weeks later
    #324 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

For the bread I'll try a low temperature or maybe smaller loafs for garlic bread?

I've seen mention of something called secret low on the gas ovens, between the off position and the low position is my interpretation, like where the knob is pushed in?

1 week later
    #342 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

So been doing sourdough crusts and wondering if anyone else does them. Mine either end up super sticky or easily tears. Here’s tonight’s doing. Hawaiian and a sweet and spicy pep. Turned out great but would like to make them a little easier to work with

whats your workflow for managing your starter and mixing your dough? I use sourdough for pizza (and anything that calls for yeast). The only truly detrimental effect would be if you're significantly over-fermenting your dough such that it becomes acidified and starts to break down. otherwise it's probably just a matter of mixing/kneading, balling and stretching. happy to try to help

#347 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

Typically will almost triple in size

this sounds like your issue. tripled in size is fully proofed+ and then letting it go longer the gluten is probably starting to break down from acidification.

Also, repeated stretch and fold is important for bread when you want the loaf to hold height/volume but much less important for pizza. in fact, it can be counter productive, developing gluten too well will make the dough elastic and resistant to stretching (if this does happen you want to stretch until it starts to pull back then let it rest for 5-10 minutes and stretch again, repeating as necessary to get to full size)

RVH 's referenced post is pretty good starting point but if you want to go pure sourdough and leave out the instant yeast, you'll be looking at longer proofing time than his two hours. That said, different starters run differently, especially when you account for all factors different ambient temperature, different flours, different water composition, different stage in starter activity. I'll write out something more in depth which may not be necessary.

Judging from your photos you're not aiming for neapolitan, so here's a rough edit on my (white flour) new york style dough, which is pretty versatile, all measurements done by weight (given in grams and bakers percentages), this will be six balls at 375g which I would stretch to ~16":

feed starter 8-12 hours before. I might do something like 50g starter, 100g water, 100g flour the night before if i know I'm going to use 150-200g starter in my recipe.

100% flour - 1290 grams
    61% water - 785 grams
    10% starter - 130g
    3% sugar - 39g
    3% oil - 39g
    2.5% salt - 32g

in stand mixer, or by hand, mix starter into water, then mix in salt, then add flour, sugar and oil and mix until combined, knead/mix for a few minutes longer. let proof in bulk for a few hours, then divide into balls (look at youtube for some videos on how to divide and ball) then proof until fully risen (for this last step it might be helpful to proof in clear plastic or glass so you can see what the fermentation looks like more clearly until you get more experience to tell without this view; another way to do it which i use for some other doughs but not really for pizza, is buying a small graduated beaker, say 100 ml, pulling out 20ml worth of dough and proofing that alongside the rest of your dough, dough is fully proofed when beaker reaches 40 ml. )

that's my method for mixing dough. proofing times will vary, doing it in your oven with light on will speed up from room temperature.

for stretching techniques you might take a look at youtube also.

#355 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Pizza night!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If you shred your own cheese it wont burn so unattractively

#360 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flancrest_ent:

Probably because of the stuff they add to the bagged cheese to keep it from clumping in the bag and lasting longer

Yep, cellulose and starch are used to prevent clumping, both of which are not found in block cheeses or deli counter sliced cheese. They change how the cheese melts and how it burns.

#365 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I have a kid that doesn't like cheese (allergy)

Allergic to dairy or lactose?

2 weeks later
    #372 1 year ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Einkorn flour. Jovial brand.

or mill your own

1 month later
    #396 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

Another attempt. Dough wasn't stretching out like it should. I guess not enough gluten development? Or could be storage problem. I put dough balls in plastic bin instead of air tight containers. Still experimenting.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

What's your dough process and recipe? Dough acting elastic, like shrinking in on itself is actually too much gluten development. If it happens again, stretch as much as you can, let it rest for a few minutes then stretch again. How much did that dough weigh though? Looks small

#398 1 year ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

I think I kneaded again before dividing the dough.

just dump the dough, divide and ball, don't knead again. there's some kneading inherent in balling, but don't do anything more.

with 250g i think you may struggle to get any larger than 10 inch diameter in any case (without a rolling pin).

1 week later
    #416 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I would press mine with a pan and parchment paper for a while just use more Semolina if sticky. This way I was just pressing the inner part of the pizza and not the outer crust.
    I like to roll mine out and then give it a final hand stretch.
    [quoted image][quoted image]
    [quoted image]

clever technique.. i do wonder how the automated presses don't stick to the dough... maybe low hydration and well-floured?

1 month later
    #441 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Thanks! That's a stone mill. I mill wheat for about 20% of my dough. It gives a freshness and complexity to the flavor profile.

big fan of home milling. you should check out the lee household flour mill, makes by far the finest flour of any home mill I've tried.

nice oven!

#447 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Is this the mill you’re recommending?
    $840 on amazon.[quoted image]

Turns out it has gone up on price a little, it was 799 last i checked. But it's actually cheaper than the one he's already using (https://pleasanthillgrain.com/komo-duett-grain-mill-flour-grinder-flaker-wood-stone) so seemed like a reasonable recommendation.

Though I'd love to get a new Lee, i use a vintage one, they pop up on eBay pretty regularly, they've been produced since the 40s or 50s

As he says, even just a relatively small amount of freshly milled flour adds a lot of flavor to your baked goods. You can usually find some fresh flour at farmers markets in my experience (at least in the northeast US) if you wanna give it a try before diving in

#466 1 year ago

those look reallllllll good

3 months later
    #504 1 year ago
    Quoted from Charger68:

Check this out at irondomepizzaoven.com. It's a stove top pizza maker. Works on gas or electric. The burners are propane available anywhere.

This will make pizza, but I don't see how there's any improvement over using that pizza steel under the broiler. Neapolitan style seems like a stretch when there's no charring or even browning on the cornice even after 3 minute cook times (as shown in the videos).

I think there's probably a similar design with a smaller radius bottom steel, such that a full blast gas stove burner would actually send flames around the steel into the dome, getting significantly closer to the heat of a wood-fired oven.

3 weeks later
    #529 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just got my wife the Breville Pizzaiolo for Christmas. We've had homemade pizza twice since then...and I don't think we'll ever order out again.

Pizzaiolo is very impressive for an indoor home oven, owned one for like 6 months (before flipping it for a profit ) Couldn't make big enough pies to satisfy me. It's too bad that we're somewhat hampered here in the US by 120V being standard.

2 weeks later
    #537 1 year ago

start in your home oven imo

go out to some pizza restaurants and figure out what type(s) of pizza you want to make at home, this will help guide you to books and ovens

#550 1 year ago

I was wondering why you only make 8" pies, but now I see it's because you're feeding them to 40" people

1 week later
    #562 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

My dough I had frozen didn't rise for some reason? The one in the back fresh from a pizza place did though?
    [quoted image]

A portion of yeast dies in the freezer, and the longer it's in there the more will die. I think the recommendation is like 5x as much yeast if you're planning to freeze the dough

#564 1 year ago

One of eleven pies baked tonight. Smoked pepperoni, red onion, fresh mozzarella, tomato sauce, parmigiano.

PXL_20230212_233259780 (resized).jpgPXL_20230212_233259780 (resized).jpgPXL_20230212_233430557 (resized).jpgPXL_20230212_233430557 (resized).jpg
    #566 1 year ago
    Quoted from bjab:

So who on here uses Caputo 00 flour for their dough , and if not, what's your choice and why, and where do you buy it ?

Caputo 00 is "formulated for long fermentations and high heat ovens." I don't really know what that entails aside from it being unmalted (i.e. no added malted flour), meaning it does not brown easily, basically will not brown in a normal kitchen oven. The lack of malted flour also means it ferments more slowly than if it had the malted flour in it.

I usually cook in a high heat oven, but I do not seek out Caputo. I haven't noticed any improvement from it, and it is more than twice as expensive as other high quality, unmalted flours I can find more easily, like wegman's brand. Gold medal is also unmalted and available almost everywhere.

1 week later
    #571 1 year ago

barbecue chicken is one of my favorites. what sauce do you use?

#575 1 year ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

A little late to post, but I usually make a heart shaped pizza for Valentines day for the wife. Even cut the pepperonis into hearts this year! Left it in the oven for about 45 seconds too long.
    [quoted image]

Pre-shredded cheese?

#580 1 year ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

Yeah. I made the dough but just use pre-shredded cheese. This was actually the second pizza that night because the first one stayed in about 2 min too long and came out black and crispy.
    I do have a Stoke pizza oven on the way as a b-day present, so I need to get back in the pizza making game.

ya, pre-shredded cheese burns more easily because of the anti-caking agents

#582 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Could also be the sawdust they mix in with it or is the sawdust the anti-caking agent?

yes

2 months later
    #625 11 months ago

a couple recent pies, part home-milled whole wheat crust, always sourdough

pizz1 (resized).jpgpizz1 (resized).jpgpizz2 (resized).jpgpizz2 (resized).jpg
    #633 11 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

That should be a worshac test

Rorschach*

8 months later
    #667 87 days ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I could not believe Lucali was using 4 Blackstone ovens with rotating stones. I always thought these were a gimmick but here one of the very highest rated spots were using them.

Still have trouble understanding what the gimmick is. it has a straightforward purpose of removing the need to manually rotate the pizza, which is necessary in most ovens.

#670 87 days ago

It's definitely possible that Blackstone's oven is not the best implementation of the design, Everdure looks cool, at $800, I wouldn't recommend that or the current blackstone to anyone, but I got mine (previous version) for under $300, and that was before the ooni/roccbox/etc were even on the market. In my workflow, with bake times around 120 seconds, I can step away from the oven after launch, prep the next pie, and come back to a pizza that's been cooked evenly because it's been rotating.

As far as heat balance in an oven goes, it's much more important for neapolitan than other styles, and in my experience, almost every neapolitan restaurant I've been to is manually rotating their pizzas during the bake, it's simply too challenging to balance when a roaring fire is only on one side of the oven.

To your other point, there are rotating pizza ovens made by many commercial pizza oven manufacturers:
    https://www.breadstoneovens.com/pages/rotating-floor-wood-and-gas-fired-brick-pizza-ovens
    https://marraforni.com/discover-the-rotator-brick-oven/
    https://fierogroup.com/twister-rotating-ovens/

1 month later
    #675 50 days ago

Sadly my propane started to run outc6c8303b-4bca-4010-9242-205f9221e26f (resized).jpgc6c8303b-4bca-4010-9242-205f9221e26f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider misterschu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homemade-pizza-thread-aka-who-makes-their-own-pizza?tu=misterschu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.