(Topic ID: 293054)

The Homemade Pizza Thread (aka: Who makes their own pizza?)

By Rodent

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 684 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_201720 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240405_185633888 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240405_181102099 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9425 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9426 (resized).jpeg
    c6c8303b-4bca-4010-9242-205f9221e26f (resized).jpg
    IMG_9297 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8116 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9051 (resized).jpeg
    20221123_194237 (resized).jpg
    20231014_141458 (resized).jpg
    20240112_151538.jpg
    20231202_180538.jpg
    20231202_180407.jpg
    20231202_180340.jpg
    IMG_8191 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanStl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I got into making homemade pizzas when the pandemic hit, I do them on the big green egg. My favorites are sausage and mushroom, ham, and the fancy prosciutto & arugula, yum![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'm jealous, my eggs have been stored in my garage 5 months waiting for my new patio to be built. I need me some pizza.

1 month later
    #95 2 years ago

Man, that looks good.

#99 2 years ago

I think I might fuse two food threads together tonight. Let me conteplate.

#101 2 years ago

This is the result. My ode to the Filet-O-Fish in pizza form. It was freaking delicious.

IMG_20211015_001707280~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20211015_001707280~2 (resized).jpg

#114 2 years ago

Well done. I really like Detroit pizza. My family where bitches about it though when I made it. Said I burned the cheese. They wouldn't believe when I explained that what makes it taste so good.

3 months later
    #167 2 years ago

All of these pizzas are looking awesome. I need a nice weekend to pull my pizza stone out. It's been nearly a year.

2 weeks later
    #192 2 years ago

I got a new 14" cast iron pan, so I thought maybe I'll make Chicago deep dish for the first time. I have one vegetarian and one that doesn't eat red sauce, so that means three pizzas. I think it was great, but it turned out to be a big bust except for the non red sauce pizza. Last year I was on a detroit pizza kick and my family nicely told me to stop. They called it an upside down pizza because sauce is on the top. Well, I guess my family hates sauce on the top no matter the style.

IMG_20220212_191056201 (resized).jpgIMG_20220212_191056201 (resized).jpgIMG_20220212_191046817 (resized).jpgIMG_20220212_191046817 (resized).jpgIMG_20220212_191041063 (resized).jpgIMG_20220212_191041063 (resized).jpg

#200 2 years ago

Glad to see you all have trouble making actually round pizzas like me.

3 weeks later
    #230 2 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

$2300 can buy you a lifetime of pizzas from a restaurant. The pizzas shown so far look like crap. This is a picture of a real pizza, loaded with toppings and cheese.
    [quoted image]

Interesting a person from Chicago showing a St. Louis style pizza. Looks great.

Got to admit I see a lot of DIY pizza pics on the net that looks burned. I don't need 1,000 degrees.

#234 2 years ago
    Quoted from MRG:

It's a fallacy that Chicago people only eat deep dish. We eat tavern style with square slices. Deep dish is for the tourists.

It's all good, just thought it was funny because it looked like Imo's. If no provel cheese than it's not StL style.

I have to get my pizza stone out this weekend. It's been too long.

#237 2 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I don't really have any favorites...Every pizza I make is like no other. I just come up with my concoction each time, depending on what ingredients I have on hand at that moment.

For me it's either regular Ragu or Prego, made the mistake of adding powdered garlic once. The fam didn't like that, it was too much.

#248 2 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

For me I just buy sauce as even though I make pizza like it’s an addiction I use little sauce.
    I try all the pizza sauces at my local grocery stores.
    There are a bunch of good ones and some bad ones.
    Also The pizza and pasta magic seasoning in the photo is cheating it’s so good!
    You’re welcome.
    [quoted image]

I'll have to try that Pizza magic.

1 week later
    #261 2 years ago
    Quoted from arkuz:

Seeing Ooni at Lowes now, seems nicely constructed:[quoted image]

Paint it pink and it'll look like a pig.

1 week later
    #289 2 years ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

Another adventure in Pizza! This was something that I read about and wanted to try for a while, it is a style called the Egg-Shell Crust. It is NOT a super thin crust, like you would think from the name.
    It is a THICK crust, but supposedly it has an egg-shell thin bottom crust that snaps CLICK like an egg shell when you bite it, and “biting into the pizza is like biting into a cloud.  The crust seems almost weightless.”
    Doesn’t that sound like an experiment worth trying?
    So the secret was supposedly to make a VERY wet crust, and then use a method called Stretch and Fold instead of kneading the dough. You plop the wet dough on the counter, stretch on side and fold it to the center, then stretch the other side and fold it to the center. Then let it rest for 30 minutes.
    Then repeat this SIX times: Stretch and fold, 30 minute rest.
    Then refrigerate the dough 24 hours at least. Break off one pizza’s worth of dough, ball it up, and let THAT sit for 24 hours. Then take the dough ball out of the refrigerator and warm it for four hours.
    So that’s what I did. I made enough for four pizza’s, because the important part is then to stretch the crust out “the right amount”. I figured that I could experiment, and it’s a good thing I did, because the first one failed!
    We start with the Stretch and Fold thing, and it looks like THIS:
    You stretch HALF of the dough and fold it to the middle, the stretch the other half and fold it to the middle.
    Let it rest 30 minutes, the rotate it 90 degrees.
    Then stretch the WIDE half and fold it to the middle, and the other WIDE half and fold it to the middle.
    And repeat, rest, rotate, repeat, rest, rotate…you get the idea.
    And it very wet and sticky. But you scrape it off the counter and rotate it 90 degrees
    And soon it stretches more and easier, and starts to look a little smoother.
    Until pretty soon it gets silky smooth and easy to stretch.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Now it’s time to make crusts. Look at how active and bubbly the crust is!
    It is a small pizza (for me) at 13 inches. I guess most places would call it a Medium.
    [quoted image]
    Look at how puffy and “cloud like” the bread-y part is!
    And the bottom of the crust was Egg-Shell thin, and snapped. And it WAS like biting into a pizza flavored cloud!!!
    It was a THICK crust that seemed almost weightless, with a THIN crunchy SNAP at the very bottom.

Wow, that is some effort there. The end result looks fantastic.

2 weeks later
    #300 2 years ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I just got an ooni last month and now got a Big Green egg from a friend who has a restaurant. I am going to fix it up like new and try it out. It weighs about as much as 2 pinball machines! Has anyone done a pizza in them yet? They get up in the 700+ heat range and the wood fire flavor would definitly come through? Maybe too much?
    [quoted image]

Congrats, the Egg itself just looks like it needs and nice soapy water scrub on the outside and, even though you don't show an inside picture, it probably needs a hour or two long 700 degree burnout to clear out any mold. If it has mold on the inside, it will burn off no problem. The bands are pretty rusty and can be replaced, but you don't need to do that right away as long as they are tight or can be tightened.

Since that table doesn't really have counter area I would recommend switching to a nest just because I believe it looks better. You can get shelves for the nest too if you want.

Is that an XL? Without the table it weighs almost the same as one pinball machine for sure, at about 300 pounds.

As for pizza, use good lump charcoal and you will not get a smoky taste. The most popular brand on Eggheadforum is Rockwood (just unofficial based on being on that forum for awhile now). Ace Hardware sells Rockwood. It doesn't hurt that the owner is also a really nice guy. If you need a replacement gasket contact RRP on the same forum. He sells a lifetime gasket at material cost, plus shipping only. Sort of a hobby for him.

#301 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm probably full of shi*. Who the hell browns onions for pizza toppings? It just looked like they needed a little more flame time or something.

Would be good if doing a BBQ sauce pizza I'd imagine.

1 week later
    #322 1 year ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

Time for reality photos. My first cook on the ooni. I know what went wrong and how to do better next time. I hate to waste a good burn so tried a recipe for wood fired bread. They didn't say what temperature so that too was a mess. Believe it or not I made pizzas for 4 years at my first job.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I post on a another food forum and have put some of my fail up for all to see. The common response is post the good and bad because they both help us all learn.

1 week later
    #339 1 year ago

It's been a long time since I've done pizzas with homemade dough on my XL Big Green Egg. I didn't remeber to take a pic until my last pizza after making about 8 personnel pizzas. I always set out the doughs ready for my kids and guests to make their own pizzas with all the normal pizza topping available. People just love this.

IMG_20220430_195717916 (resized).jpgIMG_20220430_195717916 (resized).jpg

#352 1 year ago
    Quoted from Spiderpin:

I'm working my way to make pizza night. I'm getting close, I was wanting a stromboli and went that way today. Yes I get side tracked all the time and get in trouble for not staying focused. Need a dipping sauce now.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Not pizza but has me drooling. That looks fantastic

#363 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

3 day dough. Half ball for pizza other half for bread knots.
    Stanislaus full red pizza sauce zhuzhed up.
    Stella brick mozzarella shredded in the food processor.
    Margherita sliced pepperoni.
    Pizza cooked at 550deg middle rack convection oven on a pizza screen.
    Knots cooked on buttered sheet pan at 450deg then tossed with butter, granulted garlic, onion powder, garlic salt and pecorino romano.
    [quoted image]

Tell me about bread knots like that.

I have a kid that doesn't like cheese (allergy) or red sauce. She was complaining like normal when I was doing pizzas. I had extra dough balls and asked if she would eat if I just put that on the BGE. She refused the olive oil. She liked it ok, but said it was dry. No shit Sherlock.

Btw, she'll eat freaking pizza Hut.

#368 1 year ago
    Quoted from misterschu:

Allergic to dairy or lactose?

Dairy. First started when she could try solid foods and reacted to strawberry ice cream.
    It turned her beet red and barfed. She's 8 now and can handle dairy in some forms. Mostly if cooked. However, too much cheese makes her tummy hurt. I have to buy the almond milk ice cream. The lactose free ice cream still messes with her stomach.

2 weeks later
    #375 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

I made some knots tonight to go with chicken parm, here's my method.
    16oz dough ball. I make 10lb at a time and freeze them in a ziploc divided into 1lb balls.
    Hand shape dough ball into a circle and cut into a spiral rope.
    Tie and cut knots, place on a buttered sheet pan. I used a 12x7.
    Cook at 450 on the middle rack for 8-10 min.
    Melt a few tblsp of butter in a container, add whatever seasoning you like and shake well. Minced fresh garlic works good too.[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very cool. Also, I need to venture into dessert pizzas. I don't know why I never thought to do that. My kids would love that.

1 month later
    #406 1 year ago

These recent pizza pics have me craving pizza so bad. Well done gents.

#409 1 year ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Hey, dudes. Apologies if this has been covered before, but what's the best way transfer the uncooked pizza from the peel into the oven? Wife and I tried to make homemade pizza a few years back and that's where we had trouble. The raw dough we got from trader joe's kept sticking to the peel and was difficult to transfer. We got a couple misshaped pizzas that were otherwise tasty. I recall my wife tried flour, or cornmeal, or something and it didnt help very much. Thanks!

Parchment paper completely solves this problem. I roll out the doughs and make the pizzas on parchment paper (not wax paper). I transfer the whole thing, paper and pizza onto the grill. After a minute I pull the paper out. It will slide out nice and easy.

Before I almost lost a few pizzas and mangled more because I couldn't use enough flour and I don't like the texture of corn meal

1 month later
    #432 1 year ago

You guys have been busy. Lots of nice looking pies.

#436 1 year ago

What an awesome looking pizza oven. What's that wooden flour dispenser thing?

#439 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Thanks! That's a stone mill. I mill wheat for about 20% of my dough. It gives a freshness and complexity to the flavor profile.

You are hardcore. Do you wrap your own coils too? Kidding. That's awesome you go to those lengths for good P-dough.

#445 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

Yeah, I'm pretty passionate about grilling, smoking meat, and pizza. I love being around a fire and making food.

Wish you were my neighbor. We would get a long very well.

#449 1 year ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Is this the mill you’re recommending?
    $840 on amazon.[quoted image]

Do you put the store bought bread in and then it gives flour back?

#455 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

I'm not sure exactly what your asking, but you put in wheat berries (there are a lot of different kinds of berries) and a mill grounds the berries into flour.

I'm just fucking around. The amazon pic showed the mill and and what looked like a store bought loaf. Should have added.

#459 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

I thought you might be, but I have friends that ask questions like that, so I wasn't sure

No worries, I'm still in awe of you p oven.

#461 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rockytop:

https://fierocasa.com/ovens#acunto
    That's a link to the company I got the oven from. They are great to work with, and have fantastic customer service.

Must resist clicking link.

1 week later
    #469 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Any tips for making it easier to scoop the prepped pizza off my quartz countertop with my peel? I feel like I put plenty of flour down on the counter before I start my build out but I usually need to come in swiping under the pizza from all directions repeatedly, slowly getting closer and closer to getting it 100% on the (floured) peel. It's almost like it's wet underneath and sticking to the peel. I use counter rested dough at room temperature.
    Also, how do you not make a complete mess of the kitchen and oven for those using the oven. I tend to get flour everywhere in an attempt to keep things sliding effectively. I tell my wife that it's just part of the process but she isn't buying it.
    Anyone ever bake the dough some and then put toppings on to finish baking it? I like extra sauce but it definitely makes the center of the pizza a little on the wet side.
    Anyone ever do a cinnamon/sugar style desert pizza (think TB cinnamon crisps) or maybe with another flavor like apple pie filling or something?
    Any tips/advice on my various streams of conciseness would be appreciated!

Your sticking dough problem has a super easy fix. Make them on parchment paper and keep the paper with the pizza on the stone for a couple minutes. Then pull the paper. That will take care of any launch issues you may have.

1 month later
    #484 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoodManners:

Hey pizza lovers - When I make a pizza the regular way (in Canada at least) there's the dough then pizza sauce then cheese then toppings. If I do that then the sauce ensures that the cheese/topping mixture slides off as you eat it.
    I tried doing my pan pizzas with cheese then toppings then sauce then more cheese and toppings - but wherever I have sauce the toppings slide off. And the Chicago style of sauce on top like Pequod's doesn't do it for me (though I love the crispy cheese crust).
    Now I just do a modified Detroit style with the sauce in thin strips on the top.
    Anyone do things differently to try and keep the slices together as you eat your deep dish?

You have correct order for standard pizza. Some good styles reverse like Detroit and Chicago Stuffed.

Perhaps your problem is too much sauce or your sauce is not thick enough. It shouldn't slide like that.

Toppings are called toppings for a reason

#486 1 year ago

Looks awesome

2 months later
    #502 1 year ago
    Quoted from drwicket:

Not seeing any Chicago style pizza getting any live on here.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great to me, but not my style of choice.

#503 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I think there's a casserole thread for these

I've heard people say that about stuffed pizza, but every casserole I ever had, had pasta noodles of some kind. Not casserole IMO.

2 weeks later
    #507 1 year ago

Both of those look awesome

1 month later
    #578 1 year ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

A little late to post, but I usually make a heart shaped pizza for Valentines day for the wife. Even cut the pepperonis into hearts this year! Left it in the oven for about 45 seconds too long.
    [quoted image]

How cute

#579 1 year ago

I hate to click on this thread anymore because I'm on a diet that doesn't include pizza. I want to go fire up my BGE so bad and throw one on.

1 month later
    #600 1 year ago

I don't care what people think. I love pineapple on pizza and so do three of my kids. In fact, it's the only way I will eat pineapple

1 month later
    #630 11 months ago
    Quoted from jsyjay:

Homemade dough, neapolitan pizza cooked in the amazing Gozney dome.
    Looks quite small but was actually 12".
    [quoted image]

That should be a worshac test

#634 10 months ago

I knew I'd spell it wrong, but was to lazy to check.

3 weeks later
    #641 10 months ago
    Quoted from Goyomex:

Nothing better on Father’s Day than making a few pies - except perhaps getting pizza socks (and a T-shirt matching my newest pin)
    Happy Father’s Day!

Looks good, but this father had the wife pick up Pizza Hut because I ain't cooking on Father's Day. Your pies look great, btw.

#645 10 months ago
    Quoted from Kevlar51:

Do any of you use a bread machine for dough? I've always used a mixer/bowl/counter/hands but am exploring how versatile a bread machine would be.

Used the pizza dough function on the Ninja blender once. Was very doughy

#646 10 months ago

I didn't proof it or anything. I'd say it did do a good job with the special attachment the blender came with

8 months later
    #676 46 days ago

I would still eat it

1 month later
    #681 13 days ago

It's national deep dish pizza day so made this tonight.

Pizza casserole before oven:
    IMG_20240405_181102099 (resized).jpgIMG_20240405_181102099 (resized).jpg

After oven:
    IMG_20240405_185633888 (resized).jpgIMG_20240405_185633888 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #684 4 days ago
    Quoted from Viggin900:

I used the Trader Joe's garlic and herb pizza dough last night and I gotta say I was very impressed. I think it was around $1.50 and puffed up around the edges with air just the way I like it.
    One question. I have just one problem left to conquer using my ooni wood fire. The pizza cooks perfectly crisp on the bottom and the edges bubble. The crust below the sauce isn't crisping up and still soft and doughy? My stone is 500 degrees and the oven around 600. Does the oven need to get hotter? I also keep the door closed on it and the vents open if that matters?
    [quoted image]

I never had that flavor, just unflavored, but their dough is good when you don't want to bother making your own.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RyanStl.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homemade-pizza-thread-aka-who-makes-their-own-pizza?tu=RyanStl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.