(Topic ID: 293054)

The Homemade Pizza Thread (aka: Who makes their own pizza?)

By Rodent

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 684 posts
  • 127 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240413_201720 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240405_185633888 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240405_181102099 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9425 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9426 (resized).jpeg
    c6c8303b-4bca-4010-9242-205f9221e26f (resized).jpg
    IMG_9297 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8116 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9051 (resized).jpeg
    20221123_194237 (resized).jpg
    20231014_141458 (resized).jpg
    20240112_151538.jpg
    20231202_180538.jpg
    20231202_180407.jpg
    20231202_180340.jpg
    IMG_8191 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rodent.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Nothing like a slice of homemade pie - not the dessert type of pie, a PIZZA PIE!

Who here in Pinside-land is making their own pies, and whatcha doing to do so? For this topic, dough could be homemade or bought as a pre-risen dough ball that's eventually stretched/rolled out and topped with any assortment of goodness. Any kind of cooking setup is on-topic, from regular electric oven to outdoor grill to dedicated pizza oven. There's lot's of ways to make outstanding homemade pies!

I've been making my own pies for about two years, starting out with a pizza stone I stole from the oven and tossed onto a gas grill. The initial result wasn't too good, and consisted of a slab of charcoal where a round of dough used to be plus a set of mostly cooked toppings. I did more reading and got to where I do an OK pizza on the grill with that stone, but it was never something to invite friends over for. Eventually a Big Green Egg (BGE) found its way to my place, and shortly thereafter I added a BGE pizza stone - and the world changed into a lovely place.

I still can't stretch a perfectly round dough, and am attempting to learn how to toss the dough ... but who cares if a homemade pizza is geometrically pleasing, it's all about the great taste, texture, and economics!

Here's a shot of my last pizza outing, utilizing unrisen dough balls I purchased at Central Market. It may not be visually incredible, but the flavor and essence of wood that comes from cooking on the BGE have left me ignoring the local pizza joints for all but nights with the most inclement weather.

IMG_0686 (resized).JPGIMG_0686 (resized).JPG

IMG_0685 (resized).JPGIMG_0685 (resized).JPG

Se let's hear it - what pizza goodness ya got cooking at your place, what's your recipe, and how are you doing it?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Last nights pie.
    Hmong spicy sausage.
    Cooked in Roccbox.
    [quoted image]

tell me more about the Roccbox - you using wood or propane for yours? I was about to take the plunge on a Pizza Porta attachment for my BGE, but the Roccbox is within my outdoor cooking accessory budget for the year.

#12 2 years ago

found this video on homemade dough from scratch, and loved the presentation + simple to follow workflow

#14 2 years ago

^ that's pretty cool! ^

#24 2 years ago

found this YT post by Vito on making a NY style pizza in a home oven, showing results for both a screen and stone

1 month later
    #59 2 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Yo OP any more pizzas coming off that egg? I would like to cook a few pizzas in one of those, I’m surprised nobody else posted any other BGE pizzas.
    My Roccbox using Propane is efficient and cost only about a dollar to heat up and cook a pizza but I bet the big green egg with wood charcoal and having more even heat would cook a bad ass pizza but the price of Lump wood charcoal versus propane would maybe put me in the poorhouse for how many pizzas I make as I’m usually only making one pizza each time I heat it up.
    Also a tip for y’all pizza bakers out there Caputo Semola Rimacinata is the best flour to use for flouring and stretching and shaping a pizza before cooking that I’ve used. It’s a double fine ground semolina.

I made four pizzas for visiting family a weekend back, but failed to get images before they were in process of being consumed. I gave Royal Oak brand charcoal a try for this outing (it's $12/bag at Home Depot) and was able to bring my XL BGE up to 550F stone temp within 75 minutes using just about 1/4 bag. The flavor imparted by the RO was excellent, and the temp was consistent and easy to control. I'm sure if I used a smaller Large sized BGE the cost for charcoal would be diminished quite a bit, but I love the ability to make a full 16" pie on the XL for when there's more than just 2-3 visitors joining for dinner.

The only issue I have with the BGE is the need to open the lid to check doneness, and losing all of the built up heat in the dome.

The Roccbox (or one of the other propane/wood ovens) is appealing. I've been doing a lot of reading on them

4 weeks later
    #82 2 years ago

I'm looking forward to getting past a mound of OT and major things breaking at home and back to making a pie or three (Thur it was a burst pipe, and after removing the wall/ceiling I discovered I needed to replace 75% of the copper piping in my hours ... key up two very long days Sat/Sun and we had water running and toilets flushing again before bedtime on Sun night)

Thanks to all who keep posting - it gives me inspiration and hope that homemade pies are not too much farther away!

R

1 month later
    #89 2 years ago

Anybody planning to toss a pie or two this coming (US holiday) weekend?

1 month later
    #92 2 years ago

Pizza tonight n the wood fired outdoor oven

07BFB77B-0F48-4C14-8F4A-878ADC03E8BC (resized).jpeg07BFB77B-0F48-4C14-8F4A-878ADC03E8BC (resized).jpeg

04725591-2A31-454D-820D-3BFF416A51D6 (resized).jpeg04725591-2A31-454D-820D-3BFF416A51D6 (resized).jpeg

8AC70F77-D79D-4322-9FBC-DF2FD84133A4 (resized).jpeg8AC70F77-D79D-4322-9FBC-DF2FD84133A4 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
    #102 2 years ago

I find that strangely intriguing ... need to try such a monstrosity sometime soon

3 months later
    #165 2 years ago

I’ll take a slice, please!

#173 2 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 month later
    #258 2 years ago

We're about ready to relocate to the other side of the state, having found a great place with acreage, river frontage, and a room for pins.

This new place offers the opportunity to build an outdoor pizza oven - something I've wanted to do for a few years now. It's going to be a while before we get settled in, so I have some time to plan out the build and document the progress once I finally get started. I'm hoping to have this completed by Fall, which means it'll probably be early next Summer if work continues to be a dominant a feature of daily life as it's been the past 2-1/2 years.

Since I also homebrew, I'm hoping to up my brewing game a bit as well with a dedicated place I can set up and brew at. The brewing part is easy compared to the pizza oven building, and a good pint or three should help motivate the progress of great pizza out by the river

4 weeks later
    #296 2 years ago

Pizza on the BGE with a BGE pizza stone

0F4AFE56-693C-46F6-A32B-AD054A626AF8 (resized).jpeg0F4AFE56-693C-46F6-A32B-AD054A626AF8 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rodent.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homemade-pizza-thread-aka-who-makes-their-own-pizza?tu=Rodent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.