Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 681 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by leeoneil
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220116_110832 (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_GND (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_064655_Google (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_actual (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_before_exploding (resized).jpg
    Solenoid-wiring (resized).png
    20240411_170635 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173347 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173418 (resized).jpg
    20240410_162556 (resized).jpg
    20240412_073031 (resized).jpg
    20240411_224444 (resized).jpg
    20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231228_235104636 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stefanmader.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from DOOOMTRAIN:

I’ve been putting off looking into 3d printers because they’re so intimidating to me. I also haven’t learned how to model anything yet, so I should do that as well. Anyone got good suggestions on a printer, and how to learn how to use it?

i had 3 different 3d printers and have now settled on the Prusa i3 mk3. The software is really nice, i usually put in 2 or 3 parameters and it is ready for printing. And the printer just works. Although the filament is a factor as well. Right now i use a lot of Amazon Basics PLA and PET Filament, and it works very well.

When modeling the parts i usually use Autodesk Tinkercad. it is free and web based. It has it's limitations but is very easy to use and even easier to start with.
    I have done a few things in fustion 360 and onshape but spent to little time with it, so i have trouble getting into them completely.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Some other essential tools I’ve found are the digital caliper, jigsaw and file.
    The digital caliper is essential for exact measurements, the jigsaw for shaping cutouts, and the file for making them smooth.
    I suck at anything with woodwork, but the file helps me get ‘close enough.’ I’ll cut slightly smaller than I need to account for my lack of talent and fine tune with the file. It make a holy mess but it’s worth it.

I am also not a woodworker, but i feel like wood is an awesome material, and like mbecker said, that goes for wood too. Of course any heavy machine will make the product better, but you can cut it with a jigsaw and make it work. That is the beauty of homebrew, you can go as deep and professional as money, skill and time allows, but it doesn't have to be a production piece to be fun. My jigsaw gets heavy use, couldn't do without it.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This.
    It's why I keep trying to recommend it, because I really didn't understand it until I got one too. Now I couldn't go back to not having the ability to model what I need and just have it appear minutes to hours later, because it's so genuinely useful in so many ways. It changes your thinking almost, you have this new muscle you have to learn to use.

Totally have the same opinion! I don't think a 3d printer is essential. But it is an amazing tool, that really changes how you start to go at a new project. Before i had a 3d printer, i made gamepads with a microcontroller, and raspberry pi handheld consoles, with wood, plastic sheets, resin and parts from snes controller housings. I loved those projects, but it was always obvious that it was handmade.. With a 3d printer everything gets a little bit more professional. So i definitely recommend one, it is an advanced tool that will improve your projects.

2 weeks later
    #100 1 year ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

Did we lose Pinballmakers.com? It has been a great resource, but I am unable to reach the website. And what is the best place for CobraPin controller info? I checked out MPF. It appears to have beefed up the CobraPin details. I was considering adding some high intensity flash Leds to my Arzach machine for the pop bumpers and slingshots. Anyone have a suggestions for parts and integration? So many questions...

Weird i can also not reach it. Pinballmakers is the best site for homebrewers.

1 month later
    #249 1 year ago

I started with P3 on my first two homebrews and moved to CobraPin mainly because of the cost.
    all the p3 boards i used on a pin cost me about 700 euros. And with CobraPin it cost me 150 euros. That is a huge difference.

#250 1 year ago

Here are some pictures of my wires in my Startrip retheme.
    I am very happy with the CobraPin so far, very easy to connect everything.

On the pictures there is the left flipper to see. The black cables are the main and hold coil that are connected to J6 Coil Bank A 0-0-8 and 0-0-9. The Red wire is daisy chained with all the Bank A coils and is connected to J13 HV-A, high voltage bank A. Which in my case is 24V for this Pin.

IMG_20230415_074308.jpgIMG_20230415_074308.jpgIMG_20230415_074316.jpgIMG_20230415_074316.jpgIMG_20230415_074332.jpgIMG_20230415_074332.jpgIMG_20230415_074356.jpgIMG_20230415_074356.jpgIMG_20230415_074421.jpgIMG_20230415_074421.jpgScreenshot_20230415_074210_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpgScreenshot_20230415_074210_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg
    #251 1 year ago

I also like this documentation, very useful
    , if not posted already
    https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=CobraPin

and Thomas from Cobra is very helpful as well!

#253 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Pain points on both the Fast and Multimorphic board sets are the controllers themselves. Neuron controller is $219 and P3 ROC $190. The node boards are much more affordable and the cost scales appropriately with the complexity of the system. My intuition is that that communications protocol between the controller and the node boards is straight forward. I keep hoping that somebody will analyze one or the other's protocol and write firmware for a $4 Raspberry Pi Pico to act as a controller to sit between MPF and the node boards.

That would be cool, i am not familiar with the raspi pico. So what i read is that its not a normal raspi, so no computer, but a microcontroller. Much like those on the cobrapin o guess?
    So much cool stuff out there, would be fun to tinker with that.

#255 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

Rasperri pi pico is microcontroller, dirt cheap and with about as much computer power as an original Apple II. While it can't run MPF, if could work as a pinball machine controller. It's probably what cobra pin would use if cobra pin were designed from scratch in the 2020's. Many (maybe now most) makers have gotten away from arduino microcontrollers because of the higher cost and the vastly improved capabilities of the RPI-pico.

I am using a lot of teensy microcontollers, they are awesome in every way but cost at least 20 euros nowadays and the newer versions even more.

1 week later
    #279 1 year ago

I think so too, had a bookmark to the latest, that doesn't work anymore.

1 week later
    #288 11 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Has anyone put a "coin machine" in is pinball, working with a cobrapin ?
    I don't have one yet, but I want to know if it's possible.
    Do you know how it works ? Just like a switch or something like that ?
    Thank's for your help !

do you mean, that the machine is not freeplay and you have to put in a coin to play?
    usually when you have a coindoor, there is a part on there that can be adjusted for the right coin. when you drop in a coin, it rolls over a switch. So it is just an activated switch, that needs to be handled in mpf.

https://docs.missionpinball.org/game_logic/credits/index.html

#290 11 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

I've read the MPF part but I was talking about the "coindoor".
    I don't want to use real money, I just want to use some "false coin".
    I think you answered me, so it's just like a switch. I'll see what coin machine will fit in my door.
    I think I just understand something : some of the coin door are mechanical, and other are electrical.
    I don't understand the benefit of putting an electrical one...

yes or you could just use a button for the "coin".
    but a coindoor looks just awesome, mine does nothing really. i just have it as an opening to access the computer and the soundvolume control.

#292 11 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

It's just to have the pleasure to add some "coin" in the pinball, re-creating the arcade ambiance from my childhood

2 months later
    #340 9 months ago

The really cool thing is that Mpf does a lot of stuff for you, you don't have to worry about. Just start at the tutorial, and the most code is already done

#352 9 months ago
    Quoted from stefanmader:

Originally i had the idea to put the back screen in to change the mood and scenery for different bonus modes.
    And so i am now working on a Beetlejuice mode. Here a little teaser.

I am making a new mode for TreeHouse Club

#358 9 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

The light bulb moment for me was events. You can make anything do anything as long as you tie it to an event. I was (and still am sometimes) confused by events because MPF is finicky about using the exact right language.
    The answer (for me) was using logs. MPF gives you the exact name of the event. Open the log, cut and paste the event, and use that to do what you need.
    Case in point, it took me a few tries to get my magnet working. Once it worked, I dug into the logs to see what the event was called (magnet_voorhees_magnet_grabbed_ball). Then I used that event name to do more stuff. If I can grab the ball, I can fling the ball. If I can fling the ball, I can tweak the power. And so on.
    Before, I would try to guess what the event was called and had zero fun. Now, I just check the logs and it’s made life 1000% easier.

That is a nice tip! I will try that out , i usually only look in the logs when i have an error.
    For finding the right eventname, or how you can get the value for a special device variable, i sometimes search the docs for a while. The docs are filled with information, but sometimes it show that mpf is huge and the exact information i need takes long to find.
    but i have to say, mpf is just incredibly good, i love it and i could spend endless hours with it

#360 9 months ago

Wow that is so impressive! Thank you very much for your work. Since i found mpf, literally my whole life is now pinball .
    I will keep that in mind when browsing the docs!
    And i do have tried out how to communicate with phyton and a teensy (arduino compatible) with serial to for example to start a servo. I don't know if that would be something for the docs? Like an example for using external code?

#375 9 months ago

that is one cool loop

#389 9 months ago

For the Cobrapin and P3Roc, no diodes are required, because the controllerboards have them on it.
    I cut them off of every piece.

#390 9 months ago

Smart Droptargets are a lot more fun . It makes everything cooler, when you can also lower the droptarget on special events in the code.
    although it might not always be necessary.

#391 9 months ago
    Quoted from Sandman454:

Ok. Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
    Just was thinking of trying to future proof planning.
    Didn’t want to have to make 2 purchases if I couldn’t do what I wanted to do down the track.
    But also would like to have them working in some form pretty early on.
    Can I still do ball locks with standard drop target switches and use optos? I will have 2 in line.
    blockquote cite="#7689162">A smart drop has a switch and two coils. If you want to use it for a lock, you’ll need an opto also, so you’ll have four things wired.
    No difference using the switch vs. opto for the spinner, but an opto is 5V and a little trickier to wire than a normal switch.
    As far as programming, yes, coding more stuff is ‘harder,’ so start small and work your way up. I have a smart drop on my game that I haven’t programmed yet, I just need to get around to it.

you could do a lock withouth a smart target. The ball can just lie behind on the opto. Then shoot the droptarget to set it free. i tried this before, it does work.
    however like Mudflaps said, a smart target would surely work better for a danesi lock.

#403 9 months ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

Some of you may have seen the score reel clocks I've been producing - I have tried them out hooked to an EM machine to see how they would behave in an actual game. If you listen to the chimes and look at the numbers you can see it's missing some increments, but I didn't spend time trying to tune it, I just wanted to get a feel of it.
    As you can see, they are definitely not as snappy as the Stern ones, but could be a lower cost alternative. They are also smaller. I'd be interested in working with somebody to get them into a homebrew game at some point, so if you'd like to give it a shot you can message me.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Wow really cool, i followed your clocks since you started! They are really cool. But how did you hook it up to that em machine? Awesome!

#404 9 months ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

Need to change out the PC in my game and looking for recommendations. Main requirements are Windows OS, wake-on-power, and ability to handle 1080p video easily.
    Was using a Beelink Ryzen5 Mini-PC, but it has a problem with losing BIOS settings when power is cycled. That's kind of important when you need Wake-On-Power. It also has a problem where the USB ports never turn off and there's no way to disable that. Shame, otherwise it's an awesome PC.

When it looses the bios settings, i would think the bios battery is dead. Isn't there such a battery somewhere?

#407 9 months ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

It's brand new PC, it just doesn't like being power cycled. It will last 2 or 3 cycles before losing settings. Might be related to running the MPU and driver off USB power.

Hm ok that is weird

#410 9 months ago
    Quoted from PhilGreg:

Thank you. I used optocouplers. Basically one circuit triggers a second one through a tiny opto. I hooked them up on the lugs of the point relays.

Fantastic!

2 weeks later
    #450 8 months ago

What a nice machine , it really stands out.

#452 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Very kind word, and ty. I put a lot of time, energy, and more money than I should into it. I'm pretty happy with it, but great learning tool for my next. I'm definitely going bigger, better, stronger, faster on the next.

That sounds good!

#474 8 months ago

My first use of a servo ever .

1 month later
    #510 6 months ago

Clear coated my graphics today. It looked fine at first, but i guess the graphics got soaked and the glue is not the best. So i have a lot of wrinkles now. And i did a test piece first and it looked good, but i should have waited longer , also wrinkled now.
    so the plan is i will order some more spray, then wet sand it and spray it again. Or should i do something else?

You guys had great tips for clear coating but boy i am not patient enough to do it all right . Hopefully i can fix it a bit.

IMG_20231004_154724.jpgIMG_20231004_154724.jpgIMG_20231004_154844.jpgIMG_20231004_154844.jpgIMG_20231004_154848.jpgIMG_20231004_154848.jpg
    #511 6 months ago

After some time now it got even worse.
    i think it is save to say, i am never doing this again.
    Do you guys have any suggestions. What material do you normally use for the graphics? Maybe with my graphic it just won't work..

IMG_20231004_195243.jpgIMG_20231004_195243.jpgIMG_20231004_195250.jpgIMG_20231004_195250.jpg

IMG_20231004_195243.jpgIMG_20231004_195243.jpg
    #513 6 months ago

Patience is not a skill of mine . Ah man, just ripped the graphics off. Maybe I will order a new graphic from a different store, since i need it anyway.

#515 6 months ago

allright thank you very much!

#517 6 months ago

oh i see the cuts now. i tried that on my first homebrew but like you said it warped pretty bad. It also covered the whole playfield. then i used adhesive transparent pet like you would use for schoolbooks. Was a good solution, but the last one was a different brand and was not as good and got bubbly.

i think i will first try a store. i always order my graphic as a poster for about 200 Euros. but hey i ordered now a graphic that is for outdoor advertisement. and the best thing is, that it is 40 Euros?!?!

so maybe that could work without a protection overlay. i'll report back when i receive it.

Unbenannt (resized).pngUnbenannt (resized).png
    #518 6 months ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

You could do what I did to protect my vinyl art. Make yourself a playfield protector. I initially tried to cover everything, but it warped with temperature changes. So, I trimmed it to make it "float." I did mine as a last minute desperate attempt to get it ready for a show, so you could definitely cut it better than mine. You can see the cuts around the slings and posts in this pic.
    [quoted image]

did you cut the overlay by hand? looks great!

#521 6 months ago

Holy hell impressive.
    Wood primer is a good idea. When i inspect the playfield i found that that part without decal is also not totally smooth.

#527 6 months ago

I found a store where i could order a decals with white and transparent. I will consider that for the future, but i struggle to make the files accordingly. I don't want to pay for photoshop monthly.. And my freeware Krita cannot do it.

So does anybody have experience with a partially transparent print?

And i am wondering what is your prefered way to stick decals on?
    I am always sweating my ass of doing this.
    In the past i have my decal and cut out the inserts. That makes it easy to allign it on the playfield. And then put weights on one half and try to stick on the first half.

#528 6 months ago

So i was thinking when i have a partially transparent print which is on white paper, i cannot see how to allign it, right? So how would someone do that?

#530 6 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

stefanmader
    With a transparent print (on insert) you can align it quite easily !
    If you want some help I can do it, we need to make a layer fitting the white part/base on your graphic (in illustrator for example).
    When you print you ask for a transparent vinyl with selective white (not sure with the correct word in english)
    I did that for my homebrew, so no need to cut around the insert ! (save time and the surface is perfectly flat !
    Give me your file and i'll try to help you with that problem !
    A vinyl transparent print with selective white cost me 50€, and it's much better than paper (shiny).

Very cool of you! Ok so illustrator can do it, cool! My store actually needs exactly that, but exported to PDF/x 1a. Can illustrator do that?
    I will first clearcoat the hell out of the playfield, but when i finally ruin it again, it would be awesome if i can send you the file!
    I can make the white layer in inkscape. Illustrator can surely open it and hopefully export it to pdf x 1a?!

Thank you very much, i appreciate that!

#532 6 months ago

I dont know if printing in a pdf will create the correct result, since it needs to be the correct pdf format. Without knowing i would expect an export to work but not necesserely a print.

I think for adobe you ll have to pay monthly right? I don't like that

#534 6 months ago
    Quoted from Gillen:

If it's doable in Illustrator I can help you. I paid for a year already so better use it. Just send a pm if you need help.

Thank you very much, that is really nice of you!

#536 6 months ago

I do my designs in inkscape, i use the filetype svg. That goes very nice with cad.

For the allignment question i had, what i meant was:
    When i have the decals in hand there is usually a white paper underneath, therefore i can not really see where the inserts are in the wood. I do it now like this: i cut the inserts out of the decals the lay it flat on the playfield and can allign it perfectly.
    fix it with some sticky tape and weights. The i pull of the paper just a bit an stick it on. And then goe from there.

I guess though you can put on decals easier with more hands..

1 week later
    #541 6 months ago

It really looks like the plunger is not straight.
    maybe it couldvalso help to make the groove in the plungerlane deeper and longer, once the ball is straight in line it should stay straight the whole plungerlane.

#546 6 months ago

i am just using a normal pc speaker system, since there is usually a pc in a hombrew

2 months later
    #608 3 months ago

For startrip i used petg, and transparent decals, but i sanded the plastic before so that it is smokey for defusing the light.

I don't know the thickness anymore, but i was able to cut it with scissors.

1 month later
    #625 53 days ago
    Quoted from MooglyMoog:

I've looked around and not sure I found an answer. I'm trying to installed MPF on my windows 11 computer.
    I installed python fine, but when I type in the
    Pip install mpf Clio
    From the mpf website I get a syntax error in python. Not really sure what I'm missing.

What error do you get?
    But upfront after installing python the pc usually needs a restart, so that it gets the correct python path etc.

#628 53 days ago

I wish you good luck on your homebrew!and i am looking forward to seeing your progress!

#630 53 days ago

thanks, i love that hobby, and i really think it is the best to see others progress of such cool projects, it makes me want to build more and more!.

1 month later
    #674 8 days ago

You can test continuity with a multimeter. You don't need to connect the grounds on the cobra itself, it should already be connected. But since the 24V powersupply goes not directly into the cobra, this is the ground you will need to connect with the others.
    so when you make that connection in your first drawing it should connect all grounds.
    do you have a multimeter? It is a good way to tell if there is a ground thats not connected.

#675 8 days ago

Hmm or could it me like my servo jumping problem...
    when i pressed the flipperbutton, sometimes a servo would move. What i think helped was: making a more direct gnd connection and making sure the high voltage cables are not close to the servo cable.
    So in your case the led cables.

#677 8 days ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Ok, i'll see if it's touching something but from memory it doesn't....
    Thank's everyone for trying to help me ! Still stuck...
    - Re-wire "GND" : no change
    - Put a diode on the shaker : no change
    - Change the 24V and wire the 48V on the satellite : no change
    The fact that the post-up is buzzing can't be a clue ?
    Still need to test with the multimeter (I need another hand).
    Gasp !

Hm i don't know but does the uppost have an old singlewound coil like from an em machine? Or is it new? I am not an expert but when i first used old em coils on deep blue rage, there was buzzing, but that was alright because of the coils. But in that case take a look at this to prevent something burning. Look at single wound coils.
    https://missionpinball.org/mechs/coils/dual_vs_single_wound/

Hope i understood your problem correctly.

#678 8 days ago

Ha just thought of something. You could try to plug the satelite into a different usb port of the pc.
    (i don't have a reasonable explanation for that, just had an experience once, where an usb port caused problems, where a different didn't. There a usb busses on a pc, some ports might do something a little bit different.)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stefanmader.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homebrew-channel-tips-tricks-amp-showoff-pics?tu=stefanmader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.