Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 681 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by leeoneil
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220116_110832 (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_GND (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_064655_Google (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_actual (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_before_exploding (resized).jpg
    Solenoid-wiring (resized).png
    20240411_170635 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173347 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173418 (resized).jpg
    20240410_162556 (resized).jpg
    20240412_073031 (resized).jpg
    20240411_224444 (resized).jpg
    20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231228_235104636 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaddyManD.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

That’s really cool. I linked your build thread, if you don’t mind. Keep the pics coming!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/when-rain-washes-away-the-game

awesome! my sons and I are embarking on our first honebrew and have so much to learn. Thanks in advance for all the advice we will be seeking from you all (especially where to get playfield art done, how to get it on playfield, and how to get my to scale paper sketch into a CNC machine!)

#42 1 year ago

My sons (15 and 13) and I are about to embark on our first homebrew. Theme is Overwatch (Blizzard video game). We are maybe 3 weeks in and learning as we go. We have basic 3D printing skills and Adobe skills, can solder and do basic game repairs, but playfield art design, printing and cutting are new to us. After confirming with the boys that they won’t lose steam on this project (will see!) we purchased a homebrew starter kit from Octomodz which we look forward to populating!
    Going to try to keep simple fanish layout (we love flow) with a mix of inspiration from AFM, STh, Iron Maiden and Black Knight in terms of shots. Ordered some ramps from Ramp O Matic that should work and have wireforms sourced. Definitely excited and trying not to get overwhelmed! Need to order a rotisserie this week (not making one haha)!

C09A9AFA-EA39-4C6E-996C-A13872338DF3 (resized).jpegC09A9AFA-EA39-4C6E-996C-A13872338DF3 (resized).jpeg
    #45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Just talked to Paul at VirtuaPins. My cabinet ships early next week. Thank God, because this setup is kind of embarrassing…[quoted image]

omg man love this haha! you are going so fast you are waiting on a cab!

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I'm completely petrified of 3D printers but would love to try before I buy kind of thing. I can make nearly anything now, but it would be fun to play with. Having welders, plasma cutter, every saw known to man, and planers, routers, etc is a nice plus. I own a custom guitar shop, (Bigg Deak Customs), so intricate wood things is pretty normal for me.
    My HB is pretty far along now, cabinet is done, playfield top is really close, but the wiring is a ways off. Most of cabinet wiring is complete, but playfield just got started.
    I did several small things I've not seen others do yet on lighting, and i put an Mp3 player/jukebox mod into my cabinet for when I'm not playing, and just want music.
    Next playfield will be carbon fiber/epoxy which I think will be really cool with the depth and such.
    This thread is already very cool, and glad I found it. I love sharing ideas, and always love advice from multiple points of view.

me and my sons bought the ender 3 an Amazon for $299 two years ago. we had zero experience. First day was a little frustrating and since then I would say best return on investment pretty much any purchase ever. So useful and endless fun.

1 month later
    #142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

2 part epoxy. I followed Vid’s guide and sanded the inserts as well as the sides. I used wood coffee stirrers to apply the glue. Everything worked great.
    Following the inserts, I sanded everything flat and cleared with SprayMax 2K. You could install a vinyl overlay after all that. My art isn’t ready, so the blank whitewood will have to do for now. [quoted image]

dude look awesome!!!

1 week later
    #168 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

The best piece of advice I can give is to level the printer. If you don’t, you will be frustrated and throw the printer out of the window. Ask me how I know.
    After that, it’s super easy and fun.

Totally agree! Levelling took us our entire first 24-48 hrs and we were frustrated…since then we have been 3d printing almost everyday for 2 years! so many great and helpful applications and money saved, its insane! Definitely recommend printing a “benchy” to ensure you are level. Don’t be surprised if you don’t “look” totally level by eye, but actually are level by the paper test…sometimes the machines aren’t built perfectly level. Also we use a glue stick to apply a very thin layer of glue to help the first layer stick. For us, without a glue stick we usually have a mess. good luck!

#175 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

In cura, you’ll slice a file which will create a gcode file from the stl file you load. Once you slice, you have to export that gcode to your sd card

and be sure to power on the printer only after you insert the card. If you power up first then insert the card it won’t see the files

#176 1 year ago

Hey crew,
    So my playfield design is close to locked but so far have only rolled the ball by hand. experiencing quite a few airballs. in your experience, do you get fewer airballs when the playfield is pitched and also coming off of a flipper vs by hand (perhaps rolling by hand gives it air?). I know I will need airball protectors at the tight ramp/wireform junction, but even getting airballs off of targets right now if I use much force. While I gear up for wiring the flippers, thoughts are appreciated!

1D47F0CE-22E9-4088-85A8-C05705CCCC2E (resized).jpeg1D47F0CE-22E9-4088-85A8-C05705CCCC2E (resized).jpeg
    #183 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Are those new PBL mechs? I find sometimes I need to bend them a bit by hand to get them the way I want them, which may be a bit of why you're getting airballs. That and the playfield being pitched should help a lot.

yes all fresh PBL mechs. agree I do feel some components (particularly the targets) could be bent down towards playfield a bit. will report back!

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

The layout looks awesome!
    Yeah, it’s tough to gauge airballs in different settings. Tons of factors. I would plan on airball protectors, especially above the drops. You could decrease flipper strength and pitch, but again, it will all depend. The best way to tell is to set the pitch at 6.5 and use real flippers. Even then, the playfield isn’t cleared and the ball will roll differently.

Thanks for the tips and advice! Will report back once we are really flipping!

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Cabinet decals went really well. I prepped and sanded and painted and re-sanded the cabinet until it was super smooth. I did the flap and hinge trick, and I was surprised how quick it went.
    Head decals are next. I’m sanding and doing the prep work to the backbox, then I’ll try to figure out how to get a Stern playfield in a WMS cabinet. [quoted image]

damn sexy!

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

OK I just got it to finally print. So one last issue, even after the leveling trick, the pre heat trick, etc, my filament will not stay stuck to the bed. I saw a gluestick tri k, but what do you all suggest?

yes thin layer with glue stick! makes a huge difference! i do it every time or maybe every 2-3 prints depending on time between prints. you need to gently wipe it off after a few prints or it gets caked in. wet paper towels does the trick.

1 week later
    #247 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

This discussion did get me thinking again that the Cobrapin setup is really lacking. Fast has an exhaustive tutorial, while with Cobrapin you’re kind of on your own. Not a knock, but more of an observation.
    I’ve been happy with the Cobrapin so far, but I’m lucky to have people I can bug to answer my dumb questions.

yup! why I chose fast

#273 1 year ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Aoutch, take a break ! Good luck for the work, it's always horrible to do some task twice.
    The crazy thing i'm still amazed in these projects, it's the time we need.
    Every step takes hours... It's crazy !
    I just prepare some electric wires for the Cobra, and.. 3 hours later i am still on it !
    Maybe trained builder are going faster but for me it's astonishing the time it take me to do simples things !
    Not have anything to do with the soldering problem, i'mcurrently working on the lights, and I have done a quick visual of my playfield with all the numbers for my lights.
    Now I can quickly have a look at it when i'm working with MPF shows.
    It's just here as an idea.
    [quoted image]

wow! beautiful work!!!!

#275 12 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Been getting a lot of base wiring done on the next game.
    [quoted image]

are those 3D printed mounts for the backbox power supplies and boards? if so, willing to share the files? looks awesome!

#282 12 months ago

For anyone not following our thread, just sharing!
    So pleased to share our podcast with Dan Rosenstein who interviewed me, Cam and Lucas on behalf of TPN network. Thanks to Dan for all he is doing to connect and ignite the homebrew community! This was a really memorable chapter of our journey!
    ———————-
    Episode 5 is live!! Episode 5: A Family Affair
    We made it to episode 5! Join me as I talk to Mike, an amazing dad and his 2 awesome sons about their overwatch pinball machine!
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/0IquWTPcdkTaYjRAThhCc1?si=5HJrs0IQSfijRqaiUSaOGg

7FAE88DC-BA7E-4459-A2F8-5B269C5B841C (resized).jpeg7FAE88DC-BA7E-4459-A2F8-5B269C5B841C (resized).jpegF0341C21-A08F-488B-887D-A6203492E7A6 (resized).jpegF0341C21-A08F-488B-887D-A6203492E7A6 (resized).jpeg
    3 weeks later
    #314 11 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

You’re in good company!

yeah buckle up boys because we will be learning MPF in the next few days…lots of noob questions incoming!

4 weeks later
    #330 10 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I’m trying to add sounds to a show and having a bad time. Any example show configs?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #373 9 months ago
    Quoted from BrianMadden:

I have a favor to ask everyone in this thread.
    I'm the maintainer of MPF and related projects (MPF-MC, MPF Monitor, MPF Docs). I still spend many hours a week on it (all unpaid volunteer), literally right now working on updates for MPF 0.57 which will allow it to run on versions of Python newer than 3.9.) jabdoa and I alone wrote about 98% of MPF over many thousands of hours over the past 9 years. We also wrote about 95% of the documentation. (I'm the guy who spent a week of full time work moving the docs to the new platform last month. for example.)
    We don't ask for much in return. We don't need credit. We don't need money. We don't need glory. You will not find our names in IPDB or the Pinball HOF.
    What we need, and what we plead and beg for, is your help with documentation!
    When I originally envisioned MPF, (Fun nostalgic link to the Pinside announcement post from 9 years ago), I thought it would follow the arc of typical open source projects where we'd get lots of contributors and people working on it. That hasn't really happened (though there are a few other people who've written a lot of code for it, Q-Dog and avanwinkle get shout outs). In hindsight I think that's because MPF is geared for "non coders", so by definition the user base doesn't know Python or software engineering, and anyone who both loves writing software and making pinball is probably going to write their own code from scratch and not use MPF. So that's fine. (Though we'd love more help if you are a Python and pinball guru!)
    But the bar for writing the documentation is way lower. So, for real, any time you're on the MPF docs site and you figure something out that isn't documented, or you think something could be explained better, or something is confusing, or you just see a typo, I'm begging you, PLEASE click the edit button on the page and add to or fix the page. The changes you make go into a queue and be approved, so there is no chance of breaking anything!
    If you don't know where to start or you don't want to deal with it, you can email me the page you want to change ([email protected]) and I'll make the change. (But really it's easy, you can learn!) I put some instructions together which are linked from the bottom of every page on the site. If that's not enough, I can make a video, or walkthrough.. whatever it takes!
    This is all we ask. By using MPF, you get access to tens of thousands of hours of work for free. Openhub estimates (using the COCOMO method) the MPF project as worth $2.7m! (Sure we can nit-pick the specifics but the point remains it has been a lot of work!)
    We love seeing the hundreds of machines created, and reading through the pages and pages of posts talking about how helpful MPF is. It's immensely satisfying that we actually helped bring more pinball into the world! I have to pinch myself when I walk into Add-a-Ball (down the street from me in Seattle) and see STIrby's Eight Ball Beyond in revenue service on location, knowing that's running MPF!
    Awesome, amazing, love it all!!!
    All we ask is your help to give back to the community and help everyone by sharing what you learned in the docs. So all these tips and tricks and advice (which you all know better than me since I personally have never actually made a game with MPF), please help get this into the docs!
    Thanks, and happing pinball making!!!
    Brian

Wow! Thank you so much for all you have done for the community! You help people troubleshoot on a regular basis and yeah there is no glory in that whatsoever. So while we all need to do a better job recognizing you and the MPF team, yes for sure will help in the ways you are asking!

1 week later
    #414 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Finally cut my plastics. I’ve been procrastinating forever, but they turned out really well. These are temporary until I get them laser cut. The scroll saw made an unholy mess but thankfully nothing cracked.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This pin is gorgeous!!!

#415 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I met Octomodz in the flesh at SFGE, so anyone who was wondering if he was actually real, I can confirm, and he is as nice, and humble in person as he is on here.
    [quoted image]

you guys are both real! Love it so much to see you together! Can’t wait till we can join you at an expo soon!

1 week later
    #432 8 months ago

Just wanted to give a huge shout out to Octomodz and Trident Pinball. I purchased a cabinet flatpack from Ernie, and my sons and I built it. It was meant to be to modern Stern specs . I am happy to report that Stern armor, glass channels, and backbox hardware all fit like a glove! The backbox is about 2 inches taller than Sterns so just ordered a slightly larger translite (custom anyway) and a custom piece of glass ($50 on Amazon). Look forward to sharing pics of translite and cab decals in a few weeks!

3D3FE8C7-4969-4491-89FB-CA6A2E0CCB0A (resized).jpeg3D3FE8C7-4969-4491-89FB-CA6A2E0CCB0A (resized).jpegB4D64DDD-BB11-4F0F-81C5-5EC37FE9B6AA (resized).jpegB4D64DDD-BB11-4F0F-81C5-5EC37FE9B6AA (resized).jpeg
    #435 8 months ago
    Quoted from RatShack:

You can buy custom cut tempered glass on Amazon?

Yes, I was surprised too. Took about a week to get and very happy with the quality and they sized it perfectly!

https://www.amazon.com/GLASS-Premium-Replacement-Shelves-Tabletop/dp/B0B3V7LBV5

#439 8 months ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

Custom mitered joints by scratch. Who needs to buy a cabinet…
    [quoted image]

Certainly impressive you can do this on your own! But very happy to have access to folks like Ernie who can provide this as a service to folks in need.

#441 8 months ago
    Quoted from Billygrippo:

It wasn’t a dig. Just goofin. I’ve never built a cabinet in my life till now.

all good, I didn’t take it that way! Just complementing you on the work!

#444 8 months ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

Thanks for the pro tip. I did not know about this and it really does improve the finish. Not quite finished with my playfield but I already see the difference. Not as much clear and wet sanding needed.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Gorgeous!!!

#467 8 months ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

So an update on the BDC pin, I spent about an hour yesterday tracing wires, checking diodes, caps, etc. Found a bad cap, and a near shorted coil on the right mini flipper. Changed both, and it appears all is working correctly now. I put the glass back in, and played a few games, and everything worked as ot should. Huge sigh of relief finally. Thanks for all the suggestions, and help guys, I really appreciate it.
    [quoted image]

She’s beautiful, Bigg! Stands out just like you do brotha!

5 months later
    #622 76 days ago

already contacted him!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaddyManD.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homebrew-channel-tips-tricks-amp-showoff-pics?tu=DaddyManD and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.