Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 681 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by leeoneil
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220116_110832 (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_GND (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_064655_Google (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_actual (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_before_exploding (resized).jpg
    Solenoid-wiring (resized).png
    20240411_170635 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173347 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173418 (resized).jpg
    20240410_162556 (resized).jpg
    20240412_073031 (resized).jpg
    20240411_224444 (resized).jpg
    20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231228_235104636 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cmartin1235.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#107 1 year ago

Regarding pinballmakers being off line, remember there is always the wayback machine.

2 weeks later
    #132 1 year ago

I really like the Trident Pinball Homebrew Discord. I would like to see it take over the slack channels and be a hardware neutral space.

#135 1 year ago

Glue: a small amount of clear expox in the insert hole right before you rubber mallet it into place. Some people advocate roughing up the sides of the insert with sandpaper so the glue grips better. I don’t know if I would bother with a whitewood, but that will give you both belt and suspenders.

#137 1 year ago

Trident: Pm me with your email and I will send an invite

#139 1 year ago

That looks great!

2 weeks later
    #203 1 year ago

There is no one right way to make the first layer adhesion work. It depends on many factors, the type of filament used, the surface material of the build plate, the Z height, the temperature of the build plate, and the temperature of the extruder. I found this to be an excellent resource. Also, if you poke around their website, there are some articles worth reading. https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/print-quality-troubleshooting/
    In my workshop, I use CNC router, CNC laser, a variety of woodworking tools, etc. My 3-D printers are undoubtedly the most complex tools, but also the most rewarding. Stick with it, it pays off.

#213 1 year ago

The enchanted cable forrest.

#219 1 year ago

Unless you have more switches and switch inputs, I highly suggest you not use a matrix. The wiring is more difficult and the debugging much more difficult.

#239 1 year ago

I would triple check the part about the ground. The 48 V ground on Pinball machines is unstable because of the current surges when coils fire. Add a minimum this creates the potential for interference on the switch and at worst can damage the micro controller. Also, tying all your switches from a header to the ground on the same header plug makes debugging easier. When you disengage the header, you disconnect all of the switches and their ground that segment of your machine. It sounds unnecessarily complicated but if you miss wire something, being able to isolate various parts of the machine, makes it much easier to find your mistake.

#252 1 year ago

Pain points on both the Fast and Multimorphic board sets are the controllers themselves. Neuron controller is $219 and P3 ROC $190. The node boards are much more affordable and the cost scales appropriately with the complexity of the system. My intuition is that that communications protocol between the controller and the node boards is straight forward. I keep hoping that somebody will analyze one or the other's protocol and write firmware for a $4 Raspberry Pi Pico to act as a controller to sit between MPF and the node boards.

#254 1 year ago

Rasperri pi pico is microcontroller, dirt cheap and with about as much computer power as an original Apple II. While it can't run MPF, if could work as a pinball machine controller. It's probably what cobra pin would use if cobra pin were designed from scratch in the 2020's. Many (maybe now most) makers have gotten away from arduino microcontrollers because of the higher cost and the vastly improved capabilities of the RPI-pico.

#263 1 year ago

Love that podcast. So much yet to cover.

4 weeks later
    #304 11 months ago

Is there a slack or discord channel people are using for cobra pin?

2 weeks later
    #319 11 months ago

That really is the beauty of MPF. You can cook book your way into a game. Along the way, as you figure out the nuances, enough understanding of what's under the hood will come to allow you to make something complex and interesting.

1 month later
    #343 9 months ago

It's like picking a lock one tumbler at a time.

1 month later
    #497 8 months ago

That looks beautiful. How long are you waiting between coats?

1 month later
    #522 6 months ago

Did you clearcoat using only polyurethane?

#524 6 months ago

cwg29 Thank you. Yes, that question was for you. I was wondering if polyurethane alone was holding up fine on top of that beautiful fathom job. I haven't tried just polyurethane on Pinball. On furniture it has done well for me. If I could skip the hassle of 2K, I certainly would like to.

1 month later
    #570 4 months ago

Does anybody know what kind of surface prep is required (if any) for a newly cut playfield to get vehicle wrap vinyl to stick properly?

#572 4 months ago

Since I won't need a super hard finish, I don't want to spray 2K underneath vinyl. Does anybody have recommendations on a clear product with which I can prep my wood before applying the vinyl?

2 weeks later
    #582 4 months ago

What is the current draw on those LEDs? If it is 20 mA or more per channel, I think you'll find them plenty bright enough.

3 weeks later
    #599 3 months ago

Trident Pinball homebrew discord server is specifically non-denominational. Some of us are on cobra, some on fast, some on Multimorphic and even a few on grow-your-own microcontroller. The thing that really binds us together is homebrew design and MPF.

#609 3 months ago

As a homebrew person, I first made my plastics on my 3-D printer. It wasn't attractive but it was 100% functional for prototyping. Later, I make good use of a CNC machine. I don't have an infrared laser so I cut my polycarbonate slingshot covers with the CNC. Then, I smoothed the edges carefully with a blow torch. Art was hand drawn on tracing paper and stuck to the underside with spray glue. All of this was very inexpensive.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cmartin1235.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homebrew-channel-tips-tricks-amp-showoff-pics?tu=Cmartin1235 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.