Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 681 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by leeoneil
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220116_110832 (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_GND (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_064655_Google (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_actual (resized).jpg
    CobraPinConnectionDiagram_before_exploding (resized).jpg
    Solenoid-wiring (resized).png
    20240411_170635 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173347 (resized).jpg
    20240409_173418 (resized).jpg
    20240410_162556 (resized).jpg
    20240412_073031 (resized).jpg
    20240411_224444 (resized).jpg
    20240323_114044 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231228_235104636 (resized).jpg
    There are 681 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.
    #201 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I'd love to have a copy of this file if you don't mind?

getting late here, so will sort out tomorrow - there is a left and a right

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

OK I just got it to finally print. So one last issue, even after the leveling trick, the pre heat trick, etc, my filament will not stay stuck to the bed. I saw a gluestick tri k, but what do you all suggest?

yes thin layer with glue stick! makes a huge difference! i do it every time or maybe every 2-3 prints depending on time between prints. you need to gently wipe it off after a few prints or it gets caked in. wet paper towels does the trick.

#203 1 year ago

There is no one right way to make the first layer adhesion work. It depends on many factors, the type of filament used, the surface material of the build plate, the Z height, the temperature of the build plate, and the temperature of the extruder. I found this to be an excellent resource. Also, if you poke around their website, there are some articles worth reading. https://www.simplify3d.com/resources/print-quality-troubleshooting/
    In my workshop, I use CNC router, CNC laser, a variety of woodworking tools, etc. My 3-D printers are undoubtedly the most complex tools, but also the most rewarding. Stick with it, it pays off.

#204 1 year ago

What's a good free cad software to be able to change stl files in? One that won't need a year of study to be able to figure out please

#205 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

What's a good free cad software to be able to change stl files in? One that won't need a year of study to be able to figure out please

STL's can't really be edited in any CAD program. an STL is a faceted surface. I usually use meshmixer when I need to edit an STL.

#206 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

You do want to clear it.

Thank's all for your answers !

So i tested 2 vinyl prints, both with a lamination. I finally found a french printer with vinyle transparency + white selective + protective lamination.
    - first with a mat lamination
    - second with a shiny lamination.

I applied 3 layers of clearcoating, the spraymax 2K shiny can.
    And it looks perfect, no problem at all with the vinyl, no bubble, no strange reaction.
    I did it very gently with the first layer, more like a fog pass.
    The second and third one were more strong (20 minutes between each layer).

I will stick with the shiny lamination + 2K shiny clearcoting (I don't like the mat effect) for the final print.
    Thank's again for the help !

Here the result after 3 layers :
    338322872_3446275949024310_3989996011875462214_n (resized).jpg338322872_3446275949024310_3989996011875462214_n (resized).jpg

#207 1 year ago

Not as bright as I hoped, but this will work.

#208 1 year ago

Tips on insert wiring? I’m using the Fast RGB lights, and I’m debating on soldering vs. making quick disconnects.

Is the time worth making quick disconnects?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #209 1 year ago

I found some .100 connectors that work with these little rgb boards I made. Much better than the soldered connections I used to use.

20230408_203107 (resized).jpg20230408_203107 (resized).jpg
    #210 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I found some .100 connectors that work with these little rgb boards I made. Much better than the soldered connections I used to use.
    [quoted image]

Would you mind sharing the link? I picked up a few of the connectors from Fast, but I’m not sure of the type of metal contact.

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Would you mind sharing the link? I picked up a few of the connectors from Fast, but I’m not sure of the type of metal contact.

Well, it's from Aliexpress. We'll see if the link works. I got 3 pin XH 2.54mm sets. Each set is 10 wired connectors and 10 headers. I bought a couple of hundred to use on these boards.
    https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800712290278.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.30.12cc1802cmifer&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

The boards are open source. https://github.com/jhpieper/pin-led

For the short runs between close lamp boards, I just solder them together with a piece of heat shrink to cover.

However, for your boards, they already have headers. So, I would ask Fast what connectors you need.

338719341_599726875509768_1682242127255402752_n (resized).jpg338719341_599726875509768_1682242127255402752_n (resized).jpg
    #212 1 year ago

Aaron from Fast sent me the following link with compatible headers and pre-crimped wires.

https://www.pololu.com/product/1812

6EF8AE1C-92DD-47D7-BC3D-4BAB7AE616DF (resized).jpeg6EF8AE1C-92DD-47D7-BC3D-4BAB7AE616DF (resized).jpeg
    #213 1 year ago

The enchanted cable forrest.

#214 1 year ago

This is super nice !

I need some help, my brain is totally stuck on my next problem : matrix wiring.
    I have a cobraboard, i try to understand how i can wire all my switches...

There's some information on the cobrapage, but "only" with row and columns.
    What I am supposed to do with wires ?
    I don't understand how i basically plug my switches... Where to start, where to end... Are they all plugged together ?
    Do you know a basic internet page with a clear explanation on matrix configuration ?
    Maybe with an example plan or an "electrical diagram" ?

Thank's for your help !

#216 1 year ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

This is super nice !
    I don't understand how i basically plug my switches... Where to start, where to end... Are they all plugged together ?
    Do you know a basic internet page with a clear explanation on matrix configuration ?
    Thank's for your help !

Cobrapin is great, but absolutely lacking with any tutorial. I am not an expert and still learning, but here’s a quick rundown.

Switches have two connections: input to the Cobrapin, and 48V ground.
    Coils have either two or three connections (depending on hold and pulse): input to the Cobrapin and one or two to 48V power

Definitely watch or read the MPF tutorials.

https://docs.missionpinball.org/latest/tutorial/

#217 1 year ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

First, how many switches do you have? That will determine whether you are using direct drive switches or a switch matrix.

#218 1 year ago

great interview. its good to hear people's backgrounds and skills who jump into homebrew.

#219 1 year ago

Unless you have more switches and switch inputs, I highly suggest you not use a matrix. The wiring is more difficult and the debugging much more difficult.

#220 1 year ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

This is super nice !
    Thank's for your help !

Cobrapin uses 48V and 5V, so start with two power supplies. Learn to wire those to Cobrapin. 48V for switches and coils, 5V for LEDs.

Once you have the power supplies safely wired, go through MPF and read everything three times. Start with one switch… again, one wire to 48V ground and one wire to the Cobrapin.

Once you get a switch working, try a coil. The coils go to 48V power and back to the coil bank on Cobrapin.

Your goal should be two working flippers and two working slings. Each flipper will need a switch, and each slingshot will need a switch. Start slow and be safe with the voltage.

#221 1 year ago

Using 48V for switches seems wrong?

#222 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Using 48V for switches seems wrong?

That seems like a mistake. I believe that cobrapin switches are 3.3v, in fact.

In terms of the matrix, unless it's a very simple playfield, he'll run out of direct switches. Maybe adding a satellite board would resolve that(adds 23 more inputs). I took a 4x8 lamp matrix harness from a Stern ticket redemption game and repurposed it. It still takes some work, but it's not too bad.

#224 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

That seems like a mistake. I believe that cobrapin switches are 3.3v, in fact.
    In terms of the matrix, unless it's a very simple playfield, he'll run out of direct switches. Maybe adding a satellite board would resolve that(adds 23 more inputs). I took a 4x8 lamp matrix harness from a Stern ticket redemption game and repurposed it. It still takes some work, but it's not too bad.

Switches on the Cobrapin use the 48v ground. Not sure what sorcery is involved (I’m not an electrician).

When I first wired everything, I hooked up the switches to 5V ground. They didn’t work. All worked perfectly when I changed to 48V ground.

#225 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Switches on the Cobrapin use the 48v ground. Not sure what sorcery is involved (I’m not an electrician).

When I first wired everything, I hooked up the switches to 5V ground. They didn’t work. All worked perfectly when I changed to 48V ground.

Shouldn't you be using the switch grounds? The switch grounds are on the same same connectors as the drivers. Electrically, they might be connected at some downstream point to the 48v ground, but I think they are meant to be grounded at the connector.
    Screenshot_20230413-175344_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230413-175344_Chrome (resized).jpg

#226 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Shouldn't you be using the switch grounds? The switch grounds are on the same same connectors as the drivers. Electrically, they might be connected at some downstream point to the 48v ground, but I think they are meant to be grounded at the connector.
    [quoted image]

I’m not using any of the switch grounds, I’m going to the power supply. It’s been working flawlessly, but yeah, grounding at the bank is probably not a bad idea.

#227 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

First, how many switches do you have? That will determine whether you are using direct drive switches or a switch matrix.

Everything is working on my pinball, but just with a few switches (direct drive). I'm using the ground of the switch bank.

But I need to connect a lot of them. I think i will have 60 contacts.
    I have the Satellite Board. If i flash the main cobra, i can go to direct switches, i think it will be enough.
    Is it really more difficult to use the matrix system ?

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Your goal should be two working flippers and two working slings. Each flipper will need a switch, and each slingshot will need a switch. Start slow and be safe with the voltage.

As I said, my pinball is flipping
    That's the Cthulhu, still working on it.
    My problem is that I have too many switches for the cobra board.
    I understand how it's working for direct switch (and i used the ground from switches bank without problem), but i don't understand what i'm supposed to do with the matrix.

Maybe an idea is to flash the cobra, go to the "direct" version, and use my Satellite Board, to do all in direct...
    But i'm scared to flash the cobraboard.... I fear to lost everything.

edit : I will exactly have 62 contacts if i'm not forgetting something (probably 64, i forgot the door).
    The cobra + the Satellite Board in direct allow... 61 switches....
    If i'm going this way I will need to erase a contact (maybe one for the ramp). But I can't make any mistake.... Not sur it's the good way...

20 targets
    4 drop targets
    12 roll-over

2 scoop
    3 bumpers
    6 ramps
    3 slingshots
    1 spinner

5 ball drain
    1 eject lane

4 buttons (start - 2 flip - fire)
    1 tilt
    I forgot the door. So 1 coin + 1 door open ?

(i'm not using any contact for the flipper, it's dual-coil with the "modern" approach)

#228 1 year ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

great interview. its good to hear people's backgrounds and skills who jump into homebrew.

Quoted from DaddyManD:

loved it! was very entertaining!

Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun. Tried to keep it light and entertaining.

#229 1 year ago

Have you ever serviced an older pin? They almost all use a switch matrix (and possibly a lamp matrix)

It was a way to reduce wiring and deal with the limited inputs of older CPUs. Give this a read https://www.flippers.be/basics/101_switch_matrix.html

You need to organize a matrix for your switches and wire them up that way, or get more of those satellite boards to add more direct inputs.

#230 1 year ago

Even a smaller matrix will give you the switches you need. First, read this link.

https://www.flippers.be/basics/101_switch_matrix.html

Then, look for some natural groupings on your playfield. Places where you have lamps in a row is ideal. Making a 4x5(20 switches) matrix or higher in addition to the rest of the direct switches will give you the number of inputs you need.
    Edit: I didn't notice that the link I shared was the same as above

#231 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Cobrapin is great, but absolutely lacking with any tutorial. I am not an expert and still learning, but here’s a quick rundown.
    Switches have two connections: input to the Cobrapin, and 48V ground.
    Coils have either two or three connections (depending on hold and pulse): input to the Cobrapin and one or two to 48V power
    Definitely watch or read the MPF tutorials.
    https://docs.missionpinball.org/latest/tutorial/

I feel ya, I created a spreadsheet with three tabs to help myself out. One tab for a switch matrix, tab for direct switch inputs, and one for coils. Here's a link: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmJnNrobtOftogLEFNnMLUglq--h?e=85IfgU

Arzach_SW_MATRIX (resized).jpgArzach_SW_MATRIX (resized).jpg
    #232 1 year ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

I feel ya, I created a spreadsheet with three tabs to help myself out. One tab for a switch matrix, tab for direct switch inputs, and one for coils. Here's a link: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AmJnNrobtOftogLEFNnMLUglq--h?e=85IfgU
    [quoted image]

That’s awesome

#233 1 year ago

Thank's everyone for your answers !
    I'll read the link and take some time to understand it !

#234 1 year ago

I would stay away from the matrix and just order the expansion board for the cobrapin and can even mount under playfield. Thats what I did for league. On cobra, the ground bank for the switches is same ground as the 48v as far as I understand it.

#235 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

I would stay away from the matrix and just order the expansion board for the cobrapin and can even mount under playfield. Thats what I did for league.

I think he needs to remove one switch to go fully direct.

#236 1 year ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

[quoted image]

that spreadsheet is very helpful to understand with the Cobrapin board

can someone share some photos of coil (flipper etc) at the coil and then at the Cobra board ?

#237 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

I would stay away from the matrix and just order the expansion board for the cobrapin and can even mount under playfield. Thats what I did for league. On cobra, the ground bank for the switches is same ground as the 48v as far as I understand it.

I will use the Satellite Board (i have one already), I need it for some coil (and shaker, and motor).
    But not enough direct mount possible.
    I need to remove more than one switch to go direct, probably 3 or 4.
    Not a good idea, i'll see.

Or maybe I can use the cobrapin + Satellite Board +Xpansion board .. but it's starting to look like huge...

#238 1 year ago

You should ask cobra18t for his opinion.

#239 1 year ago

I would triple check the part about the ground. The 48 V ground on Pinball machines is unstable because of the current surges when coils fire. Add a minimum this creates the potential for interference on the switch and at worst can damage the micro controller. Also, tying all your switches from a header to the ground on the same header plug makes debugging easier. When you disengage the header, you disconnect all of the switches and their ground that segment of your machine. It sounds unnecessarily complicated but if you miss wire something, being able to isolate various parts of the machine, makes it much easier to find your mistake.

#240 1 year ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

I would triple check the part about the ground. The 48 V ground on Pinball machines is unstable because of the current surges when coils fire. Add a minimum this creates the potential for interference on the switch and at worst can damage the micro controller. Also, tying all your switches from a header to the ground on the same header plug makes debugging easier. When you disengage the header, you disconnect all of the switches and their ground that segment of your machine. It sounds unnecessarily complicated but if you miss wire something, being able to isolate various parts of the machine, makes it much easier to find your mistake.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I’m repopulating my playfield now and will move my switch grounds to the switch bank.

#241 1 year ago

This discussion did get me thinking again that the Cobrapin setup is really lacking. Fast has an exhaustive tutorial, while with Cobrapin you’re kind of on your own. Not a knock, but more of an observation.

I’ve been happy with the Cobrapin so far, but I’m lucky to have people I can bug to answer my dumb questions.

#242 1 year ago

Honestly the biggest reason I went with P3 years ago was because of their documentation compared to everyone else. Although it’s maybe a bit lacking by modern Fast standards

#243 1 year ago

Fast docs have come a Long ways in a short bit of time with Brian on board. Brian is awesome at writing tech docs, But for years prior it was very lacking.. I think cobrapin is probably sitting in that realm at the moment.. it takes a lot of time and talent to get good docs put together

#244 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Fast docs have come a Long ways in a short bit of time with Brian on board. Brian is awesome at writing tech docs, But for years prior it was very lacking.. I think cobrapin is probably sitting in that realm at the moment.. it takes a lot of time and talent to get good docs put together

True, and I’m thankful for the folks who have taken the time (without getting paid) to create some of the tutorials, especially MPF.

Anyway, I’m hopeful this thread might be helpful for any of the 1000’s of things you have to do to make your own game.

#245 1 year ago

yes I was on the fence

FAST vs Cobrapin

FAST - up to recently the documentation lacked, but now with the exchange rate and all the other parts / breakouts FAST has gotten more expensive but very cool

where as

Cobrapin - is more affordable as want to do a simpler pin and I really want to use a alphanumeric board that he has done, but the documentation is lacking - it is assumed people have knowledge for some areas

But this thread is helping, would love some more info like photos of connecting coils to wires and wires to the board just to make sure I am assuming correctly.

#246 1 year ago
    Quoted from swinks:

yes I was on the fence
    FAST vs Cobrapin
    FAST - up to recently the documentation lacked, but now with the exchange rate and all the other parts / breakouts FAST has gotten more expensive but very cool
    where as
    Cobrapin - is more affordable as want to do a simpler pin and I really want to use a alphanumeric board that he has done, but the documentation is lacking - it is assumed people have knowledge for some areas
    But this thread is helping, would love some more info like photos of connecting coils to wires and wires to the board just to make sure I am assuming correctly.

I’ll upload some wiring pictures once all my mechs are installed.

#247 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

This discussion did get me thinking again that the Cobrapin setup is really lacking. Fast has an exhaustive tutorial, while with Cobrapin you’re kind of on your own. Not a knock, but more of an observation.
    I’ve been happy with the Cobrapin so far, but I’m lucky to have people I can bug to answer my dumb questions.

yup! why I chose fast

#248 1 year ago

At a certain point, trying to save $200 on the board set is irrelevant to the overall project cost lol. There is a lot of value in saving time with a more flexible and well documented controller.

#249 1 year ago

I started with P3 on my first two homebrews and moved to CobraPin mainly because of the cost.
    all the p3 boards i used on a pin cost me about 700 euros. And with CobraPin it cost me 150 euros. That is a huge difference.

#250 1 year ago

Here are some pictures of my wires in my Startrip retheme.
    I am very happy with the CobraPin so far, very easy to connect everything.

On the pictures there is the left flipper to see. The black cables are the main and hold coil that are connected to J6 Coil Bank A 0-0-8 and 0-0-9. The Red wire is daisy chained with all the Bank A coils and is connected to J13 HV-A, high voltage bank A. Which in my case is 24V for this Pin.

IMG_20230415_074308.jpgIMG_20230415_074308.jpgIMG_20230415_074316.jpgIMG_20230415_074316.jpgIMG_20230415_074332.jpgIMG_20230415_074332.jpgIMG_20230415_074356.jpgIMG_20230415_074356.jpgIMG_20230415_074421.jpgIMG_20230415_074421.jpgScreenshot_20230415_074210_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpgScreenshot_20230415_074210_com.google.android.apps.docs.editors.sheets.jpg
    There are 681 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homebrew-channel-tips-tricks-amp-showoff-pics/page/5?hl=stefanmader and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.