Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by leeoneil
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3694 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3695 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231228_235104636 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20231228_235051443 (resized).jpg
    1734-00 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0115 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20231112_080940_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_0468 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0467 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0466 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0463 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0464 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0461 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0462 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0465 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3093 (resized).JPG

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from cwg29:

Did we lose Pinballmakers.com? It has been a great resource, but I am unable to reach the website. And what is the best place for CobraPin controller info? I checked out MPF. It appears to have beefed up the CobraPin details. I was considering adding some high intensity flash Leds to my Arzach machine for the pop bumpers and slingshots. Anyone have a suggestions for parts and integration? So many questions...

Cobra doesn’t really have a website. Here’s where you purchase:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1254-cobra-amusements/05162-cobrapin-pinball-controller

#102 1 year ago

If you haven't been following the Beerfest design (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-my-first-homebrew-beerfest/) he just posted a nice walk through on his slick rotating mechanical ball lock:

Fun video just on its own, but I just want to note as you watch it just how much he's leveraging the power of 3D printing for this game. A lot of really clever prints making it all happen. More fuel for the "this is a homebrew maker's best friend" topic.

#103 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If you haven't been following the Beerfest design (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-my-first-homebrew-beerfest/) he just posted a nice walk through on his slick rotating mechanical ball lock:

Fun video just on its own, but I just want to note as you watch it just how much he's leveraging the power of 3D printing for this game. A lot of really clever prints making it all happen. More fuel for the "this is a homebrew maker's best friend" topic.

There's almost nothing you can't 3d print to get a pinball made. America's Most Haunted had a ton of 3d printed parts and it's a commercial game. This dude recreated a space shuttle 3d printed most of the components:
    https://www.youtube.com/@fabe1690/videos

#104 1 year ago

Nice!

You obviously don't have to 3D print everything, but the fact that you can just shows the flexibility.

#105 1 year ago

I was cutting a playfield protector for my project, and I forgot that I hadn't glued in one of the inserts. And drilled a hole partly through it.
    *shakes my fist at the sky*
    WHY me?!

Eh, this game isn't going to be perfect, so it will have a bit of mylar covering the shoot again insert. Could be worse.

329519086_3322919611257762_4610762369300421858_n (resized).jpg329519086_3322919611257762_4610762369300421858_n (resized).jpg
    #106 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I was cutting a playfield protector for my project, and I forgot that I hadn't glued in one of the inserts. And drilled a hole partly through it.
    *shakes my fist at the sky*
    WHY me?!
    Eh, this game isn't going to be perfect, so it will have a bit of mylar covering the shoot again insert. Could be worse.
    [quoted image]

You could probably fix that with some clear 2-part acrylic. Put some painters tape over the top, flip it over and pour the resin into the hole.

#107 1 year ago

Regarding pinballmakers being off line, remember there is always the wayback machine.

#108 1 year ago

Pinballmakers is back on line.

#109 1 year ago

I need help please?
    I'm close to wrapping up all my playfield items except sound. Yes this is the hard way, I get that, so just help, no sidetracked "you're a dumbass" replies please....
    I installed a wav card, and bought micro switches, but my dilemma is this...

I need to find a way to mount them to trigger off other switches, OR help with a solution to make these trigger my sound card that MUST trigger off only its own signal.

I'm open to alternative methods, a different style card, whatever. However, I'm already completely built around d an alltek cpu, lighting card, and solenoid card, so I'm not going to rebuild an entire machine for sounds.

20230227_170706 (resized).jpg20230227_170706 (resized).jpg20230227_175506 (resized).jpg20230227_175506 (resized).jpg
    #110 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I need help please?
    I'm close to wrapping up all my playfield items except sound. Yes this is the hard way, I get that, so just help, no sidetracked "you're a dumbass" replies please....
    I need to find a way to mount them to trigger off other switches, OR help with a solution to make these trigger my sound card that MUST trigger off only its own signal.
    I'm open to alternative methods, a different style card, whatever. However, I'm already completely built around d an alltek cpu, lighting card, and solenoid card, so I'm not going to rebuild an entire machine for sounds.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Hopefully someone can help you. I imagine the majority of builders are using an all-in-one solution like PROC, Fast or Cobra.

#111 1 year ago

Definitely doing it on hard mode.
    **warning** I've no experience with what you're asking **warning**

If you're writing code for an alltek you're basically working with the same audio interface as the original roms. This guy has been doing amazing things and documenting it all in an accessible, as it can be, way. You'll have to see how sounds are triggered and replicate it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/slochar/forum/topics

Best of luck!

#112 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I need help please?

There's a couple ways..
    1. Replace the existing leaf switch stack with one that has extra layers (so you can separate switch activation from the sound activation)
    2. The guy that converted a flash gordon into a ghostbusters (pre-stern) I believe created custom secondary switches:

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

I need help please?

Here’s how I triggered music using a sparkfun pcb and new switches:

#114 1 year ago

MrBigg you my want to go down the ballysternOS rabbit hole. I converted a Stars to Stars202 with chimes. A friend of mine is converting it to Stars2021 with digital sounds using a wave trigger board.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stars-2020-side-project-digital-sound

Seller ROYGBEV has the kits if you don't want to make your own.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/all

#115 1 year ago

Here is one of mine, playfield is a Dolly Parton retheme but the rest is home brew. A lot of hand painting for art and multimorphic to control it.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dolly-parton-is-a-punk-/page/4#post-7374383

F0AAE7F3-67DB-4EB2-9D29-3A7819E9DBA9 (resized).jpegF0AAE7F3-67DB-4EB2-9D29-3A7819E9DBA9 (resized).jpeg
    #116 1 year ago
    Quoted from steve-o:

Here’s how I triggered music using a sparkfun pcb and new switches:

I watched your video the other day, it was helpful. My issue is adding sounds to existing switches. You can't use that voltage as a trigger, so I have to find a way to stack switches on switches

#117 1 year ago

You could piggyback an opto coupler between each switch and the trigger board. A serious pain in the ass, but it should work.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from 8bitrobo:

MrBigg you my want to go down the ballysternOS rabbit hole. I converted a Stars to Stars202 with chimes. A friend of mine is converting it to Stars2021 with digital sounds using a wave trigger board.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stars-2020-side-project-digital-sound
    Seller ROYGBEV has the kits if you don't want to make your own.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1304-roygbev-pinball/all

This may be just the ticket I'm looking for, ty very much.

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

There's a couple ways..
    1. Replace the existing leaf switch stack with one that has extra layers (so you can separate switch activation from the sound activation)
    2. The guy that converted a flash gordon into a ghostbusters (pre-stern) I believe created custom secondary switches:

This has been the most helpful so far. This was exactly what I was looking for, ty so much.

#120 1 year ago

Just a follow up, I have figured out my switch issue, and started mounting secondary switches to get my sound going. Ty for all the responses, and suggestions, that was a huge help guys.
    Even got my 2 lasers installed, and it looks pretty cool. Only lost one finger positioning them, which is a small price for a cool pinball machine?

#121 1 year ago
    1 week later
    #122 1 year ago

If you are in the Charlotte, NC area this Sunday, March 19th 2023, come by Super Abari and check out some homebrew pins and arcade games! My Spaceballs pin will be there, @wildertronix's Zelda: LTTP will be there, and Rebecca Hardy's "Matt Hardy’s Expedition of Gold" game, along with some custom arcade games. Should be a fun event!

https://www.facebook.com/events/723005039509407

#123 1 year ago

Playfield art is applied.

20230318_174031 (resized).jpg20230318_174031 (resized).jpg20230318_174139 (resized).jpg20230318_174139 (resized).jpg
    #124 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Looks great, nice job! Vectored art?

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Just curious why the dotted art is still poplular? I love how it looks, but wouldn't realism be even better? Or is it the type of printer they use?

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

ooks great, nice job! Vectored art?

No, we toyed with vector, but ended up doing upsampled bitmap work. My son is the artist. He's done some work for The Flipper Room in Concord, CA.

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrBigg:

Just curious why the dotted art is still poplular? I love how it looks, but wouldn't realism be even better? Or is it the type of printer they use?

Style choice. I wanted a comic look.

#128 1 year ago

The halftone looks awesome. Realism is just a style, it's not better.

So you printed it solid to avoid alignment issues and now you're going to cut it out while on the playfield?

#129 1 year ago

I'm intrigued, will you add some text, information, or something else ?
    If you planned to do it, what will be the solution ?

Anyway, the art is super nice !

#130 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I'd just use Discord. It has a superior interface compared to Slack (I would kill for Slack to have Discord replies instead of the awful thread feature). It's not locked down like Slack, very easy to have a public server if you want, or barring that invites are easier for private servers.
    The new forum feature in Discord doesn't replace a true forum, but it is an easy way to silo specific reoccurring topics so they aren't drowned out by real time chat.
    It's free, and the extra features (like larger file uploads) are on the user side, so the costs, if any, are covered by individuals in cheap month subscriptions and not borne by the people running the server.
    I'm in Slack and Discord all day long every day, and Discord is so much better in almost all ways imo. Slack is for companies who need to pay for things like compliance. We have a paid Slack server and we don't have data retention at all because it's just fodder for discovery for lawsuits. So ironic.
    I moderate a large Discord server (about 8,000 members) and run my own private server for my arcade, if you need any help I'm pretty familiar with setting things up.

I created a Discord server a few years back to try and move everyone over from the pindev Slack as we were having a constant problem with running out of data and dropping messages that were not even a month old. Unfortunately I didnt have enough weight in that forum so not enough people joined and it stayed in Slack.
    I havent visited that slack in a long while - I wasnt allowed to use it while at Haggis and then kinda never revisited

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from lachied:

I created a Discord server a few years back to try and move everyone over from the pindev Slack as we were having a constant problem with running out of data and dropping messages that were not even a month old. Unfortunately I didnt have enough weight in that forum so not enough people joined and it stayed in Slack.

Moving platforms takes overcoming a lot of inertia, it's difficult to do without full support "from the top".

#132 1 year ago

I really like the Trident Pinball Homebrew Discord. I would like to see it take over the slack channels and be a hardware neutral space.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

So you printed it solid to avoid alignment issues and now you're going to cut it out while on the playfield?

I was going to cut out the art over the inserts, but there was one piece that I was going to leave because the detail was awesome. I ended up only cutting out the ball save insert. Everything else is just going to glow through the art. I'm ok with that, since it's not a complicated game.

Quoted from leeoneil:

I'm intrigued, will you add some text, information, or something else ?
    If you planned to do it, what will be the solution ?

Anyway, the art is super nice !

Thanks! No, I didn't want to add text that would then lock me into a certain interpretation of the playfield. For example, the Middle Earth I reworked has scores printed on it. It would be odd to get different scores for it(barring a multiplier), so I was stuck with that scoring. I'll probably do something different for the next one.

#134 12 months ago

Hello, I have a few questions, i'm going to prepare the playfield before applying the artwork.

I read a lot of time that you need to "glue" the insert on the whitewood. Do you use something special ? Is there some glue that we cannot use ?
    Thank's for your help !

Another one after sanding : when the artwork (vinyl) we be stuck, i want to use a "varnish" (sorry i'm not sure of the correct word in english).
    I tried the playfield protector but I'm not happy with it.
    Do have some recommendation for this part ? To protect the overlay ?

Thank's for your help !

#135 12 months ago

Glue: a small amount of clear expox in the insert hole right before you rubber mallet it into place. Some people advocate roughing up the sides of the insert with sandpaper so the glue grips better. I don’t know if I would bother with a whitewood, but that will give you both belt and suspenders.

#136 12 months ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:I really like the Trident Pinball Homebrew Discord. I would like to see it take over the slack channels and be a hardware neutral space.

How do I get access? Tried some invite links in one of his threads but they are all too old and not working.

#137 12 months ago

Trident: Pm me with your email and I will send an invite

#138 12 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Hello, I have a few questions, i'm going to prepare the playfield before applying the artwork.
    I read a lot of time that you need to "glue" the insert on the whitewood. Do you use something special ? Is there some glue that we cannot use ?
    Thank's for your help !
    Another one after sanding : when the artwork (vinyl) we be stuck, i want to use a "varnish" (sorry i'm not sure of the correct word in english).
    I tried the playfield protector but I'm not happy with it.
    Do have some recommendation for this part ? To protect the overlay ?
    Thank's for your help !

2 part epoxy. I followed Vid’s guide and sanded the inserts as well as the sides. I used wood coffee stirrers to apply the glue. Everything worked great.

Following the inserts, I sanded everything flat and cleared with SprayMax 2K. You could install a vinyl overlay after all that. My art isn’t ready, so the blank whitewood will have to do for now.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #139 12 months ago

That looks great!

#140 12 months ago
    Quoted from Cmartin1235:

That looks great!

I probably didn’t need to sand the sides of the insert as I may have taken too much off. However, the clear was able to fill the dead space.

I have two cans of SprayMax on now, and I think I’ll need to sand and spray one more time. A few minor quibbles but overall I’m super happy with the result.

#141 12 months ago

Thank's for your answers !

#142 12 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

2 part epoxy. I followed Vid’s guide and sanded the inserts as well as the sides. I used wood coffee stirrers to apply the glue. Everything worked great.
    Following the inserts, I sanded everything flat and cleared with SprayMax 2K. You could install a vinyl overlay after all that. My art isn’t ready, so the blank whitewood will have to do for now. [quoted image]

dude look awesome!!!

#143 12 months ago

That looks great!!!

#144 12 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Following the inserts, I sanded everything flat and cleared with SprayMax 2K. You could install a vinyl overlay after all that. My art isn’t ready, so the blank whitewood will have to do for now. [quoted image]

I'm sorry, i'm back with my stupidity.
    I think I understood what to do before applying the vinyl overlay.
    But i wanted to know if some of you are applying something after the vinyl ? Something to protect the overlay without "melting it" or damaged it..

And can you direct me to "Vid's guide" please ?
    Thank's for your help !

#145 12 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

I'm sorry, i'm back with my stupidity.
    I think I understood what to do before applying the vinyl overlay.
    But i wanted to know if some of you are applying something after the vinyl ? Something to protect the overlay without "melting it" or damaged it..
    And can you direct me to "Vid's guide" please ?
    Thank's for your help !

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-re-populating-playfields

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

Prior to a vinyl overlay, you’ll need to prep and clear the playfield.

Others may have different viewpoints, but I would not clear over vinyl. You risk melting or warping the vinyl. I believe some have done it, but I’m not sure it’s necessary in a home environment. If you have a glossy overlay, it will look fine.

#146 12 months ago

Over 15 years ago I started playfield restorations using this product to mask bare wood & light inserts.
    https://www.happycrafters.ca/oracal-oramask-810-stencil-film-12x5-yards

The sanded playfield is cleaned & sprayed with gloss clear. Then cut masking is applied & white spray gloss as a base. I would remove masking & apply another 2 coats of gloss. Then wet apply clear overlay & cut out lane switches. If you had rollovers better to cut before overlay installed with a circle cutter. If a cut file was done then that would be even easier. Overlay was cold laminated & did not need further protection. Here is one of my printers overlays in a game:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-custom-pinball-official-video

Did overlays when I was not doing direct ink playfield restorations, & then moved on to new Stern Star Gazer & Seawitch playfields. If you can do it with a flatbed uv inkjet printer for playfields that would be the better choice. Less work & risk, you just have to find a printer willing to do the job!

#147 12 months ago

Wow, ok, so nothing to protect the vinyl overlay.....
    And it's not damaged affter hundreds of games ?

Here I can't find a print with the 3 options available
    - transparency
    - selective white
    - lamination
    It's always only 2 of these options, you can't have the 3 on one print...
    Maybe an option is to have 2 overlay ?
    One with the artwork, and one with transparency and lamination (nothing print on it)...

#148 12 months ago
    Quoted from leeoneil:

Wow, ok, so nothing to protect the vinyl overlay.....
    And it's not damaged affter hundreds of games ?
    Here I can't find a print with the 3 options available
    - transparency
    - selective white
    - lamination
    It's always only 2 of these options, you can't have the 3 on one print...
    Maybe an option is to have 2 overlay ?
    One with the artwork, and one with transparency and lamination (nothing print on it)...

if you're willing to cnc it, a thin layer of petg will protect it without directly adhering to the vinyl. ive heard some that have done light coats of spray lacquer to build up a protective layer before going heavy on polyurethane.

#149 12 months ago

My current league play field is vinyl with lamination over the top. I wouldn’t say I’ve had 1000 games over it but it has not worn down at all anywhere yet.

I have a direct to wood playfield I’ll be doing on my second build of game, but the vinyl isn’t bad. I messed up a couple spots putting it on by having to pull up and reposition. If you could find a way to have an alignment spot, that would work best

779EEC72-5107-4C8E-8D7E-4CA5C4019720 (resized).jpeg779EEC72-5107-4C8E-8D7E-4CA5C4019720 (resized).jpegD19F8707-1605-4E4C-9C53-717FDCB2AC57 (resized).jpegD19F8707-1605-4E4C-9C53-717FDCB2AC57 (resized).jpeg
    #150 12 months ago

Parts install is going well.

20230319_195042 (resized).jpg20230319_195042 (resized).jpg
    There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-homebrew-channel-tips-tricks-amp-showoff-pics/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.