image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
2013-05-22_23-30-51_946.jpg
2013-05-22_23-31-22_881.jpg
2013-05-22_23-31-35_733.jpg
2013-05-22_23-30-38_853.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frankenator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Here are some requested photos of my first pin. These pics are damage highlights taken with the machine off (and they're not the best it's a cell phone camera). It's a Hollywood Heat rehab project which is looking more like a "get it functioning properly" job than a "get it collector quality" project. Quick summary - I bought it fairly cheap because of damaged/broken/missing parts, non functioning display, unresponsive switches, etc. After setting it up at home (before turning it on) I unplugged and reseated all the edge connectors and wire harnesses - and to my pleasant surprise the machine was brought back to life (enough to play despite its remaining malfunctions).

You can see it's taken a beating, giving me a nice to-do list. Anyone know the following for this machine: solenoid #3 and switch matrix #60? I forgot I had a blown multimeter and borrowed one so finding 1 burned out fuse helped to answer a lot of my questions.

Going to get some jumpers and see about tracing the problem causing the inactive upper right flipper. Coil resistance is correct.
2013-05-22_23-30-38_853.jpg2013-05-22_23-30-38_853.jpg
2013-05-22_23-31-35_733.jpg2013-05-22_23-31-35_733.jpg
2013-05-22_23-31-22_881.jpg2013-05-22_23-31-22_881.jpg
Anyone have a good suggestion of how to get the broken pieces of the top inlane screws that are broken off/stuck inside the playfield?
2013-05-22_23-30-51_946.jpg2013-05-22_23-30-51_946.jpg
There are some broken thin metal connector pieces/clips that secure the metal side rails of this bonus/special lane that I'm also trying to find.
Other desired parts include playfield plastics, the red ramp, unfaded translite, the list is likely to grow as I go.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

No pics here...

Was trying to figure out how the uploader worked - still getting the hang of uploading and formatting correctly - try refreshing the page they're up now.

#6 10 years ago

I forgot to mention this thing is FUN! Even with the dead upper playfield flipper it becomes a nice nudging exercise getting the ball to the left flipper and start locking 'em up (for what many have accurately described as one of the easiest multiballs). Hitting the "Hot Shot" ramp without expecting it is always a fun surprise, too. Super 80's goodness I need to have a slap bracelet on the plunger that you're required to wear when playing. *cue police siren sound

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

My friend has a Hollywood Heat. His ramp has been melted by the light directly under it.
This is an impossible to get part.... Or maybe not!
We have on order a red ramp form a gottlieb tee'd off. It looks to be the same ramp although the Teed off ramp has a center cover that were going to cut out with a dremmel tool. I have Teed off and my friend brought over his Hollywood Heat ramp to eyeball them side by side, They look to be the same.
I will create a thread documenting how well this goes.

Hey Luckydogg that's a discovery with some great potential! Let me know when you start the thread I'm very interested in seeing the final fit, good luck!

#16 10 years ago

Check your

Quoted from Gerry:I have a ramp that is useable....

Check your inbox.

#17 10 years ago

Does anyone else have a large range of motion on the spot targets that helps create airballs like a trebuchet? The red non-matching replacement target on my #6 spot has a foam filler that keeps it much more upright and firm. It didn't take long to figure out that the large metal guide on the right hand side is to keep the flying balls out of the plunger lane so I guess that's just part of the design and I believe the fun.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

I have an extra set of plastics and various parts for Hollywood Heat. If you'll cover the shipping, I will send you whatever I can for free. Just drop me a PM.

PM sent, and donation to pinside will follow, thanks!

1 week later
#33 10 years ago

Were the original spot targets yellow? Most of the ones I have are very flexible and create a trebuchet/slingshot upward angle - bounce back for a lot of air balls (which I know the machine expects as it has the ball catch/metal bar in front of the plunger lane). Some of the non-matching replacement spot targets on my machine are more rigid with a foam layer behind the target that keeps the switch action less "bendy" and helps the ball to not fly up as much. Which style is on your Hollywood Heat?

1 week later
#34 10 years ago

One more question if anyone out there has the schematic for this game. My upper spot target bank is in poor mechanical shape. The spots will eventually drop and when the bank is completed the scoring lights all flash but it does not advance past 10,000 no matter what. My lower drops work fine, but the same problem is happening with the scoring advance never moving upwards. Also in multiball the drops are NOT ever in sync even when the light is indicating they should be. Anyone know which board component numbers the drops trace through?

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

you need to clear both drops for the score to increase by one

I've tested every possibility with the glass off = manually dropping them all in different order/combinations including multiball activated and still no luck.

#37 10 years ago

Ok I finally have the schematic diagram. Now all I need is a good window of time to troubleshoot.

#39 10 years ago

I located a faulty switch = the drop target had been falling but not registering so it could never advance. Problem solved, and earning the extra ball is pretty sweet!

Thanks Mrjamma! Yeah, I put the ground mod on the transformer first and finally ran new dedicated ground lines on all of the circuit boards. Part of the time I think I'm fixing it up to sell it someday, but then the more I improve it the more fun I have and the more I love this machine never wanting to part with it (and a collection like yours offers some great inspiration, too).

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

So is it fully working now?

I'm still waiting on the arrival of parts to fix the one dead mini flipper as well as the pieces to install my missing mini playfield inlane. Also going to do flipper rebuilds my lower flippers - the left one has trouble getting up the ramp without the ball already having momentum & I can backhand the right flipper up through it probably 3 out of 5 tries has the power). Still having a blast with it my high score keeps going up - this pin is simple yet a LOT of FUN!

#58 10 years ago

"I bet you can squeal like a pig.... oooiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!"

-cue banjo music

Centerflank means no harm.

Back to the topic, Gerry do you think the higher powered coils are too much for HH? Even with my weak flippers it's as you say a real glass-smacker.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

are your coils the 20095's ?
mine was weak with the others... i would now have to look up that #...
I like to put more pitch than normal on the sys80B's, i think it brings more challenge to the game...
But that's just me

Haven't had time to open it up lately, I think I'm just going to order the red wrap 20095's anyway - can't hurt to have 'em strong. I do have the pitch pretty steep, too.

**So I'm looking through the dip switch settings and I have a few questions. Switch 22 is for playfield special being extra ball vs. special. Does "special" on that setting mean replay credit instead of extra ball when you roll over the lit special after earning it (hope that makes sense)? Also, what does switch 29 "game mode" mean with extra ball vs replay (as compared with switch 22)? I've also noticed that my credit award doesn't register after 1,800,000 points like the score card indicates - could that have something do do with "Novelty" switch 28 - yes vs normal setting?

5 months later
#63 10 years ago

No, probably worth taking the glass of and seeing what happens but as of late the newer additions to my collection have been sucking up my "pin work" time.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

I got a HH a few months ago and the only thing I had to do to it was to clean the playfield, change the rubbers and a few bulbs. It was in the basement of a local resident for the last 18 years and probably not played for over 5 years. The playfield, cab and shooter's lane are like new.
My question: I cannot seem to be able to set the game up for Free Play. Is there something I'm missing? I have the original instruction guide, but it doesn't describe a Free Play mode.

Nice! Mine was/is a little rough around the edges, but after rebuilding the flippers and getting everything running 100% it's a blast You can set the dip switches so every quarter loads five credits by the way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Sturgeon Bay, WI
Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Frankenator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hollywood-heat-is-on?tu=Frankenator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.