(Topic ID: 189530)

The Hobbit: Who had one and sold it, and why?

By yonizzell

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by WyseGuy
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hobbitpin (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

First off, this is not a post to bash JJP. They make outstanding machines that are of awesome quality. I'm just trying to get some feedback from those who bought a Hobbit pinball machine and decided to sell it. I had a prepaid (for almost two years) Hobbit and got rid of it within 5 months of getting it (at a substantial loss). The machine is beautiful, but for me, the shots just didn't feel satisfying. I think there will be more code dropping to polish it up, but I'm not sure that can fix the game for me. Anyone else sell one, and why?

hobbitpin (resized).jpghobbitpin (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

You have it all figured out already. It's a snoozer and I wouldn't ever purchase one. I wanted to like that game so much cause of its theme, but there's basically no shots to it. No code can fix that as you said. Wide body with those 2 boring ramps right next to each other all the way in the back, and 5000 drop targets....yikes. Not sure what they were thinking.

#3 6 years ago

I sold mine a couple weeks ago. For me, the game was marvelous and thrilling- until I cleared all 3 wizard modes. That took me several months. After that, I felt about it like I felt about beating a video game- no more worlds to explore, no amazing shots or combos to keep me coming back- time to trade it in to GameStop, so to speak.

#4 6 years ago

If you sold your Hobbit because you didn't like the game, what's the point of this post?

I like drop targets, I like pop up bash mechs, I like beautiful games, I like JJP games. Therefore I'm keeping mine.

Selling at this point because of incomplete code is rather silly. Major code updates are coming.

#5 6 years ago

I owned one for a month. Just wasn't fun. "Modes" that end in 1 shot? Not really much of a mode. Adding balls to modes was a good idea and helped, but more code won't make the shots more fun. We have one at league and everyone is put out when they are selected to play it. It will be replaced with a Dialed In when they are available.
I can see where others would like it - it's just not for me.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I owned one for a month. Just wasn't fun. "Modes" that end in 1 shot? Not really much of a mode. Adding balls to modes was a good idea and helped, but more code won't make the shots more fun. We have one at league and everyone is put out when they are selected to play it. It will be replaced with a Dialed In when they are available.
I can see where others would like it - it's just not for me.

I agree. It just wasn't very much fun to me either!

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Damonator:

If you sold your Hobbit because you didn't like the game, what's the point of this post?
I like drop targets, I like pop up bash mechs, I like beautiful games, I like JJP games. Therefore I'm keeping mine.
Selling at this point because of incomplete code is rather silly. Major code updates are coming.

I don't think code can save this game for me. The playfield layout just doesn't work for me.

#8 6 years ago

I sold mine for a couple of reasons. The main being that it was just too complicated for my 8 year old son. There was just too much stuff on the top monitor, the mini LCD, and the playfield that it just overwhelmed him and he never played it. I could never get in to the "whack-a-mole" part of the game. I also thought the code was underwhelming. I know there's 30+ modes, but big deal, most of them felt the same to me. I was hoping for something like WOZ.

I traded mine for a Metallica premium + cash and couldn't be happier. My boy and I play two player games all the time.

#9 6 years ago

I haven't sold my Hobbit, so don't know if my opinion counts, but a few things I agree with, some I don't. I love the game and playfield. The code does need more finish as after I got through the 3 wizard modes, I feel like there's nothing else I can do. A new code update is coming soon and hopefully fixed this. As far as kids, my 8 year old son fully understood the game and can get into the fire. It's really not hard to understand once you take time to learn it. Other families and kids probably go to Hobbit the most at my parties. As far as selling it, I have no plans to sell. My wife and kids wouldn't let me if I wanted to. Now if code doesn't ad more depth at some point, then eventually I may consider. That's how it is though with all games. I've even considered selling Metallica for something new. I guess ultimately I'm not sure what threads like this achieve, as some people will agree and others won't and that's all ok.

#10 6 years ago

Love the theme, the light show and video screen. Killing smaug and the 3 arkenstone modes are the only fun things in the game.

The 31 modes are just filler that are pointless at this point in code. I seen the entire game by day 2 of ownership. Game is a no skill game compared to say TWD, IM, GB, or even there own WOZ. When i say no skill its because the ball bounces around and collects the ruins with zero skill needed by player. How many times have you collected Feast, Erebor, and Beast ruin with out trying, lots! I seen a few people that never played Hobbit before make it to Into the Fire accidently. what other games can you accidently start a wizard mode on?

There isnt a single satisfying shot on the entire playfield...

The game is repetitive to point of wanting to walk away, second time through the arkentone modes with over hour games becomes a chore. Having to collect the 5 ruins the same exact way over and over is boring. The 3 arkenstone modes are linear unlike LOTR which is a much better coded game. To me Hobbit code isnt deep its long code like a long boring movie with 3 good scenes and rest filler. JJP complete silence on code on there JJP google forum was another reason.

These are the reasons i sold the Hobbit, i so much wanted to love this game but in the end it just wasnt for me.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Love the theme, the light show and video screen. Killing smaug and the 3 arkenstone modes are the only fun things in the game.
The 31 modes are just filler that are pointless at this point in code. I seen the entire game by day 2 of ownership. Game is a no skill game compared to say TWD, IM, GB, or even there own WOZ. When i say no skill its because the ball bounces around and collects the ruins with zero skill needed by player. How many times have you collected Feast, Erebor, and Beast ruin with out trying, lots! I seen a few people that never played Hobbit before make it to Into the Fire accidently. what other games can you accidently start a wizard mode on?
The game is repetitive to point of wanting to walk away, second time through the arkentone modes with over hour games becomes a chore. Having to collect the 5 ruins the same exact way over and over is boring. The 3 arkenstone modes are linear unlike LOTR which is a much better coded game. To me Hobbit code isnt deep its long code like a long boring movie with 3 good scenes and rest filler. JJP complete silence on code on there JJP google forum was another reason.
These are the reasons i sold the Hobbit, i so much wanted to love this game but in the end it just wasnt for me.

You feel pretty much how I did about it. I really wanted to love it, and I tried, but it is what it is!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I sold mine a couple weeks ago. For me, the game was marvelous and thrilling- until I cleared all 3 wizard modes. That took me several months. After that, I felt about it like I felt about beating a video game- no more worlds to explore, no amazing shots or combos to keep me coming back- time to trade it in to GameStop, so to speak.

Sounds like every pinball machine as theres only a finite amount of things to do in any pinball machine...except The Hobbit has 31+ modes.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

What you said can be said about any pin, just keep hitting shots and maybe you will beat a mode here and there.

Nearly all of the modes require certain shots to be hit and work the playfield in interesting ways. The 3 Arkenstone modes and Smaug MB have multiple stages too.

The game does require skill to actually progress through the game and also has more true skill shots then any pinball machine.

The only modes that I feel are gimmies are Beast MB and Feast Frenzy, I hope that changes. However, like nearly every other pin you sometimes start modes without trying to start them.

I agree with ya about the Arkenstone mode requirements. I hope that changes in a future code update which by the way is still being worked on by JJP.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I don't think code can save this game for me. The playfield layout just doesn't work for me.

Many can say the same about Bat66. Different strokes.......

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

This is obviously a subjective opinion. For me the game is filled with satisfying shots, but I also feel we need to get to a 3.0 update that really polishes and completes the game.

I do feel some people complaining haven't bothered adjusting their games. With some software changes, the right play field angle, wide outlanes, and no center post the game becomes much harder and progression feels much more satisfying.

#16 6 years ago

I traded mine...it really lack the fun factor for me...jjp does make a beautiful pin thou...and the build quality is awesome.....

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

What you said can be said about any pin, just keep hitting shots and maybe you will beat a mode here and there.
Nearly all of the modes require certain shots to be hit and work the playfield in interesting ways. The 3 Arkenstone modes and Smaug MB have multiple stages too.
The game does require skill to actually progress through the game and also has more true skill shots then any pinball machine.
The only modes that I feel are gimmies are Beast MB and Feast Frenzy, I hope that changes. However, like nearly every other pin you sometimes start modes without trying to start them.
I agree with ya about the Arkenstone mode requirements. I hope that changes in a future code update which by the way is still being worked on by JJP.

Did you sell your Hobbit? No so i dont expect you to see it the way i do. Up until the day i realized i didnt like the game i loved it too but mainly because i wanted a JJP game i think. OP asked why people sold the game which i answered. I really really do hope that JJP/Keith come through for Hobbit owners and make the code more fun and diverse but i got a feeling thats not going to happen. Sorry if i pointed out all the games flaws in my opinion and i understand your reasons for defending it.

Quoted from FlippyD:

This is obviously a subjective opinion. For me the game is filled with satisfying shots, but I also feel we need to get to a 3.0 update that really polishes and completes the game.
I do feel some people complaining haven't bothered adjusting their games. With some software changes, the right play field angle, wide outlanes, and no center post the game becomes much harder and progression feels much more satisfying.

They need to hit 2.0 code first. I had mine set up at 7.2 angle factory settings on 1.95 delta code when i sold it. Progression right now is boring because of the repetitive way to collect the ruins. Best most satisfying shot on game to me was kill shot for Smaug by far, the rest of the shots were nothing special. The ramps feel like the same shot, the orbits are on the slower side, the Radagast and Balin shots are decent but not great.

#18 6 years ago

I don't understand how the code isn't finished on a game that has been in the making for years? And it's one of 3 pins now in production for JJP

Must be a good reason because I love Keith's work

#19 6 years ago

Everyone has their opinion and here's mine. Plain and simple I love the game. It's in my personal wheelhouse. I'm just a pinball player that has and keeps games that are fun honestly I could care less if anyone likes my games since I play them 95% of the time. Not an expert, no interest in tournaments etc. I have its set 3 balls with extra balls based on scoring. I have gotten to 5 armies once and frankly liked that I got there even though I needed those eb's. Never beaten Smaug.

TH is completely different than what I have. I played it plenty at Level 257 in Schaumburg before I bought it. Liked it better than any pin they had there (except Woz) which I also own.

That included TZ, TAF, GOT, Kiss, DI, GB Prem etc. Also I could care less if there is an update. I love as it is. I feel sorry that some Pinside members are so good that the games become boring. I accept personal taste and everyone is different. What's wrong with that?

Every pin I own if I sell I expect to lose money, really could care less when you factor in the enjoyment. Got back from 10 day trip in Europe, first game I played was TH.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

Everyone has their opinion and here's mine. Plain and simple I love the game. It's in my personal wheelhouse. I'm just a pinball player that has and keeps games that are fun honestly I could care less if anyone likes my games since I play them 95% of the time. Not an expert, no interest in tournaments etc. I have its set 3 balls with extra balls based on scoring. I have gotten to 5 armies once and frankly liked that I got there even though I needed those eb's. Never beaten Smaug.
TH is completely different than what I have. I played it plenty at Level 257 in Schaumburg before I bought it. Liked it better than any pin they had there (except Woz) which I also own.
That included TZ, TAF, GOT, Kiss, DI, GB Prem etc. Also I could care less if there is an update. I love as it is. I feel sorry that some Pinside members are so good that the games become boring. I accept personal taste and everyone is different. What's wrong with that?
Every pin I own if I sell I expect to lose money, really could care less when you factor in the enjoyment. Got back from 10 day trip in Europe, first game I played was TH.

I totally agree with no game meets expectations for everybody. Every guy here has a game or two in their collection that I wouldn't ever own due to not my style, theme, or lack of fun. I buy games for me, and don't care what others think. I do appreciate feedback from owners at times when researching a new game however. Once I decide it's for me, nobody else's opinion matters. Hobbit isn't for everybody, but then again neither is GB or acdc.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

That included TZ, TAF, GOT, Kiss, DI, GB Prem etc. Also I could care less if there is an update. I love as it is. I feel sorry that some Pinside members are so good that the games become boring. I accept personal taste and everyone is different. What's wrong with that.

I think you meant to say "I could NOT care less".

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from DennisDodel:

I think you meant to say "I could NOT care less".

#23 6 years ago

I think both of you need to understand that "could care less" is fine. Could not care less obviously means that he totally doesn't care in comparison to everything else. However, could care less still means he doesn't care, just not above everything else. Hope that helps you Dennis trying to critique a guy on grammar when you would be the first baby to cry if the same were to happen to you on Pinside.

#24 6 years ago

I still have mine, but considering selling it soon... if something major doesn't happen with code. Beautiful game, but not impressed for the asking price. I still have hope though! woz was a turd for awhile too.

#25 6 years ago

I sold mine because I got an X-Men and realised what fantastic pinball is. TH is not alone among my collection here, others went for the same reason, but that's precisely the reason I pulled the trigger on letting it go.

#26 6 years ago

I have Woz, but sold TH.

It was just a tedious experience to play it. Keep bashing away and you'll get to play the modes eventually. But it felt like an excruciating boring chore.

The most rewarding shots were the holes to score the extra ball. It really lacked a satisfying rewarding shot. The modes felt barely distinguishable.

It got to the point where I couldn't even muster a "mercy play" to justify owning it. So glad when I sold it.

I have played Dialed In, and that game is really fun and succeeds everywhere TH failed. It might prove to be JJP's best so far. The flow of shots on DI felt great and the new technology in the game was cool. The shots alone are WAY more rewarding than TH. The quality of the rules are still TBD, but TH didn't do it for me.

#27 6 years ago

Code can still save the Hobbit if JJP pull their finger out. DI is fun but the theme is not worth 10k.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Code can still save the Hobbit if JJP pull their finger out. DI is fun but the theme is not worth 10k.

Code can definitely improve Hobbit, but I'm not convinced it can "save" it. Maybe, but I prefer not having to wait and hope.

Jack had previously stated that TH was mostly done. TH production didn't last nearly as long as Woz before production started on their next game. A great game that depends on improved code is not an endorsement of a great game.

I thought a standard DI was $8k. I'd rather pay for a fun game with a good layout and rules than a good theme.

#29 6 years ago

I'm a huge hobbit fan but the pinball wasn't terribly fun for me which is sad cause the lotr pin is amazing. I'll be getting indiana jones instead

#30 6 years ago

Beautiful pin and built like a tank...but just not a lot you can do with the layout. After a while 4 pop ups and the targets get boring. multiballs are fun at first but then it's kinda the same old. Once I started killing Smaug on a regular basis and could get to all the modes just knew it ran its course. Traded for a STLE and don't miss it at all. But I did love it at first, for sure.

#31 6 years ago

I bought an MMR with the money I got back from TH (I had to add some cash of course because I took a loss of over $1000 on TH). MMR has the fun factor TH lacked. It was a real grind to play that game. I think it was the best decision for me.

#32 6 years ago

The one I maintained on location was fine, but people just wouldn't play it because of the popping that happens once you leave it on for 7 or more hours. It's a bug in the newer Ubuntu core that Hobbit (and 6.xx and up WoZ) use, but there are workarounds out there for PCs. I have no idea why JJP couldn't get one of those to fix the issue in Hobbit. It's a real problem. WoZ has a related, but different issue with the new Ubuntu they're using. Anything from 6.xx locks up if you leave it on, usually within 12 hours or less. This bug also has workarounds from PC users, but after almost a year, still no fix that works from JJP for it. However, unlike Hobbit, we just rolled back WoZ to 5.05 to wait for a fix of 6.xx versions. Hobbit was crippled by the sound problem and we just sent it down the road.

All that said, most home users will probably never see/hear the Hobbit sound issue since they don't leave it on all the time straight.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The one I maintained on location was fine, but people just wouldn't play it because of the popping that happens once you leave it on for 7 or more hours. It's a bug in the newer Ubuntu core that Hobbit (and 6.xx and up WoZ) use, but there are workarounds out there for PCs. I have no idea why JJP couldn't get one of those to fix the issue in Hobbit. It's a real problem. WoZ has a related, but different issue with the new Ubuntu they're using. Anything from 6.xx locks up if you leave it on, usually within 12 hours or less. This bug also has workarounds from PC users, but after almost a year, still no fix that works from JJP for it. However, unlike Hobbit, we just rolled back WoZ to 5.05 to wait for a fix of 6.xx versions. Hobbit was crippled by the sound problem and we just sent it down the road.
All that said, most home users will probably never see/hear the Hobbit sound issue since they don't leave it on all the time straight.

I noticed that popping on TH I've played on location.

#34 6 years ago

I like the toys on the game and I found Hobbit lacking in that department.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Code can definitely improve Hobbit, but I'm not convinced it can "save" it. Maybe, but I prefer not having to wait and hope.
Jack had previously stated that TH was mostly done. TH production didn't last nearly as long as Woz before production started on their next game. A great game that depends on improved code is not an endorsement of a great game.
I thought a standard DI was $8k. I'd rather pay for a fun game with a good layout and rules than a good theme.

It can save it but it depends what it's saving for you personally. If you don't like the layout/theme etc. then I agree its not going to make much difference. I like the game as does my family, decent code would make the difference between keeping it and getting rid.

The thing it can definitely save is JJP's customer's trust. As a company they have to prove they are supporting their products fully. Of all the hobbit dev issues code was the last thing i was worried about. Now i can't even think about the next machine as who knows what can happen. A little bit more communication on their part would work wonders...

#36 6 years ago

Had a pre order for over two years and pulled out a month or so away. I think the game is a dog and I love stern lotr and the hobbit theme but I find this game very tedious and there no rewarding shots. I can play forever and get nowhere. The ramps are terrible and the extra flipper is ridiculous. I am very glad I dropped my order, no regrets

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from indybru:

i played it 2 hours and i knew it wasn't for me. i still wonder what 3rd flipper is used for. anyway during 2 hours, i played the game without bothering it. 20 standup/drop targets to hit...i'm not a player of targets. but as you said it depends on what kind of player you are.
there are many mods to do so ball time are way long...too long for my taste. you know when you come back playing you need to do all this long job again in order to try to go further and discover the following of the gameplay. it is the reason why i sold recently my WOZ that i think it is better than TH but this is the same kind of game, long gameplay, long ball time. i won't say boring but the repetitive effect is longer and you end up not wanting to play it again

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I noticed that popping on TH I've played on location.

Powering off then on will clear the issue for up to 7 hours (though it can happen sooner if you're unlucky), but it will always come back if you leave it on.

1 month later
#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

» YouTube video

Dat wuz 4sure the coolest vid i seent 2day!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 25.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-who-had-one-and-sold-it-and-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.