• Once they start production 4 votes
    2%
  • Once they start shipping pre-orders 11 votes
    5%
  • Wait & see 145 votes
    60%

(241 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0599.jpg
51B4jsee-jL._SX342_.jpg

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago

Does anyone know when The Hobbit will go into production?

At Pinfest, Jack told me Silverball Museum would have theirs in June. We're now in July. Is there any expected date when production will start?

I give you pre-order people a ton of credit for being able to wait for your machines. I personally couldn't do it.

JJP is good for Stern. Competition brings out the best in everyone...and we get rewarded with better machines. Now we just need them to adopt the Titan competition silicone rings instead of the standard rubber rings...

Beezlebood, hope to see you at Jack's show in August.

#102 4 years ago

I have a pre-ordered SE Smaug and from what I've seen so far it will be worth the wait. I love the theme and probably wouldn't have tied up so much cash unless I was sure that I would love the game. I currently have LOTR and feel it's my best pin in the house. The early nineties Williams/Bally and new Stern games are terrific but the one thing I feel that JPP is providing over the other two is a collector quality machine right off the bat.

Theme is a big deal to me just as much as gameplay and rules. I love the newer Stern games like AC/DC, MET, ST, TWD, and SM as well as WOZ and what I've seen of TH so far. I think it's great that we have 2 companies to compete and push each other. Can't wait until Stern tries its hand at a LCD.

#103 4 years ago

All of you guys that are so concerned about how long TH is taking should go buy a project pin to occupy your time. I'm so busy with life and working on my STTNG project that I don't have time to sit around and worry.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

All of you guys that are so concerned about how long TH is taking should go buy a project pin to occupy your time. I'm so busy with life and working on my STTNG project that I don't have time to sit around and worry.

OHMYGOD I want to give me more thumbs up. I'm so frickin' busy with my Funhouse and life in general, I couldn't really give a crap when it comes out...as long as I get it before, say, I'm dead.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I agree 100%

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Plus you won't have to wait 3 years for complete code.

You sure? Start you clock when you first started paying for your TH and stop your clock when you get it with complete code. Report back when that happens and then let's see how long it took ;-?

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Think about it.

Right back at ya!

#107 4 years ago

Hope everyone had a great 4th! Here's hoping for some great TH news end of next month. Who knows, maybe we'll even get a nugget or two about Lawlor's new game

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Here's hoping for some great TH news end of next month.

You might listen to Jack's seminar at Pintastic this Friday night.

LTG : )

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

3. There's one actually available to SHIP once I pay for it.

This for me 100%. I'm surprised this was not listed as an option. I guess it means I'm in the "wait and see" category because that option is the closest to my true answer: once it is available for purchase from a distributor I trust.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Your little jab here could also be directed at yourself.

You failed to comprehend what you were reading in this exact thread when you made your reply in post #27.

#111 4 years ago

I will buy one when:
1.I've had a chance to actually play one.
2.When NIB buyers start to sell in the secondary market.
3.It's gotta play great.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I will buy one when:
3.It's gotta play great.

Ditto!

#113 4 years ago

Never will purchase one. I will not support a company that has no scruples.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Am I the only one who couldn't care less

Thank you Hazoff. You are one of the few that actually use that phrase correctly left in the world!

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You might listen to Jack's seminar at Pintastic this Friday night.

Streaming anywhere?

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Streaming anywhere?

I'm sure Pintastic or Jared will make it known here on Pinside.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Your little jab here could also be directed at yourself.
You failed to comprehend what you were reading in this exact thread when you made your reply in post #27.

Wrong. I understood his post 100% correctly.

If there was any misunderstanding it was your misinterpretation of my post.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Never will purchase one. I will not support a company that has no scruples.

What a joke! Where do you buy your food, gas, medicine, electronics, etc..

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Even the person you were contradicting in post #27 had to explain to you in the very next post #28 that you were just saying the exact same thing.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Even the person you were contradicting in post #27 had to explain to you in the very next post #28 that you were just saying the exact same thing.

Off topic post, immediate thread eject??????? Moderators???????

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Off topic post, immediate thread eject??????? Moderators???????

Reminds me of this old russian joke (cold war period, but you may argue it still applies):

"
- Do you share my feelings about the government?
- Oh Yes!!
- Sorry, I have to arrest you then.
"

Guess I have to report both of us to the mods...

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Reminds me of this old russian joke (cold war period, but you may argue it still applies):
"
- Do you share my feelings about the government?
- Oh Yes!!
- Sorry, I have to arrest you then.
"
Guess I have to report both of us to the mods...

I'd love to buy a hobbit but I think I'm going to be busy buying all these stern games that will ship as soon as my payment is complete, bring on TWD!

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Quoted from RobT:

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

What a joke! Where do you buy your food, gas, medicine, electronics, etc..

I don't see the CEO's of Giant grocery, Sunocco, Rite Aid, Amazon ect going on forums talking down their potential customers (or going jersey on them), but perhaps I missed where they did.

1 month later
#125 4 years ago

I will buy one when:
3.It's gotta play great.

JJP is playing a little financial game to make this stance tougher. Right now, the standard edition is $8k and LE is $8.5k. When they start manufacturing, each will bump up $500.

If history is a guide, it will be a long time before any volume hits the secondary market. There are a few WOZ on the market, but most are asking purchase price (who knows what they are getting for them). Plus JJP has just raised the price for WOZ by $500 - I keep wondering what their sales / price curve looks like. I would think that the $500 increase would crash demand for an aging title. Maybe they don't care as they are ushering a new one out the door.

Those that got in early on WOZ can sell theirs likely at a profit. Those that buy WOZ today may lose some money in the resale market in the short term.

I keep wondering if it is reasonable to put $$ into this company by making a pre-manufacturing Hobbit purchase. They have lined up a group of new investors. That speaks well for viability. But new investors also may mean a change in direction for the company, for good or bad. WOZ is a packed playfield, while The Hobbit is much more open. Is that a move to save production costs? Or a valid design decision?

That they missed their shipping target by over a year on their second game, does not speak well for management.

As to buy on the secondary market, I am tired of waiting to see which pins work out to be great games, then find that the secondary market is higher in cost than the NIB was. The ones that drop in value are less desired (ex: CSI). As a NIB buyer, one rolls the dice to see what your NIB pin will do after purchased. It is a hell of a risk to spend that much money on a pin that one has never played.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

The Hobbit is much more open. Is that a move to save production costs?

Look under the playfield. It wasn't designed to save production costs.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look under the playfield. It wasn't designed to save production costs.

I would love to. Not many around anywhere, certainly not near me. I saw one in Allentown, and it was not setup to compare WOZ and The Hobbit. The Hobbit was not available to play - was downloading a software update all Saturday.

That is part of the risk of a pre-order.

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I would love to. Not many around anywhere, certainly not near me.

The underside is packed. Looks like a bigger version of Safecracker under there. 45 pounds heavier than WOZ, 17 more drive transistors.

I hope someone can post a picture. It is an amazing piece of machinery.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

You sure? Start you clock when you first started paying for your TH and stop your clock when you get it with complete code. Report back when that happens and then let's see how long it took ;-?

You may be right but from what I saw at Allentown it is already an advanced code for a prototype. If it takes as long as you suggest TH will be one of the best codes to come out into production. WOZ was not nearly as advanced but became very good. TH hobbit to me is already ahead of the curve when it comes to code. Looking forward to having it in my collection.

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

The underside is packed. Looks like a bigger version of Safecracker under there. 45 pounds heavier than WOZ, 17 more drive transistors.

Sounds like greater possibility for issues, tighter space, harder to work on, greater chance of production errors...

2 weeks later
#131 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Here ya go.

IMG_0599.jpg

#132 4 years ago

I'm a year or 2 away from purchasing Hobbit. I'd rather wait till all the kinks get worked out.

#133 4 years ago

deleted my long post. just play before buy.

#134 4 years ago

Will purchase a few games on a location-based Hobbit once an operator places one on location that I happen to be at. No intention whatsoever to buy a complete machine for $8-10k. Cars (carguement) and retirement have higher priority for me.

#135 4 years ago

If Pat's game is really all that and a bag of chips, I think an even tougher purchase question than Hobbit vs GoT, is Hobbit vs PatsGame.

#136 4 years ago

I will never pay for an unfinished game again....in full or deposit. By the time they come out 2-3 years later I'll pay the extra $1,000 or so. Better to be safe than sorry. I got lucky and bounced on Magic Girl early after realizing JPOP is great at what he does but not great at running a business.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

"Wait and see" is an option here, correct?
Where is the crying kid pic?
edited

Yeah! Are we not allowed to read or post if we did not preorder TH??? That would stink andbe totally wrong!!!

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from hillbilly:

Here ya go.

IMG_0599.jpg

really amazing!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
£ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside