Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Boatshoe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys this question is for those that love the game I’m contemplating buying one at the right price and I’ve only played a handful of games on it but each time I left feeling unsure of what to do and like I’ve played waaaay too many multiballs. What am I missing? Help! I do want to like the game as the call outs seem great and the play field although a little barren looks great too

#2 6 years ago

What really made the game for me was reading up on feeder modes. Some of the early modes increase your mode bonus in later modes, so I plan which modes I want to play and in what order. Also make sure to hit plenty of orbit shots since advancing the map also increases your mode bonuses.

As far as there being too many multi balls, I increased the difficulty on beast hurryups by one, so they’re not all lit at the start of the game, which I feel really makes a big difference.

#3 6 years ago

You are missing a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be on the playfield, but never made it into the game.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from JamesMxP:

What really made the game for me was reading up on feeder modes. Some of the early modes increase your mode bonus in later modes, so I plan which modes I want to play and in what order. Also make sure to hit plenty of orbit shots since advancing the map also increases your mode bonuses.
As far as there being too many multi balls, I increased the difficulty on beast hurryups by one, so they’re not all lit at the start of the game, which I feel really makes a big difference.

Is there a document on this somewhere? I think I was just confused as to how to start a mode and all it seemed like I was doing was playing multiball after multiball but not quite sure how I did it either. I was definitely in the same boat with WOZ before someone explained how to play the game I was clueless and on the fence about buying one (as I was caught in a fiasco here in Aus). So help me understand the game

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Is there a document on this somewhere? I think I was just confused as to how to start a mode and all it seemed like I was doing was playing multiball after multiball but not quite sure how I did it either. I was definitely in the same boat with WOZ before someone explained how to play the game I was clueless and on the fence about buying one (as I was caught in a fiasco here in Aus). So help me understand the game

Cant help you much since I sold mine pretty quickly (for no reason other than space), but here's the Tilt Forum rule sheet:

http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360

#6 6 years ago

I recommend that you try to find one to play for a while before you buy it. I bought a Smaug SE and I forced myself to keep it far longer than I wanted to hoping it would grow on me. The playfield layout is pretty lame and hitting that Fish Tales like ramp in the center doesn't feel very satisfying at all. It was a constant multiball fest and not much more. I enjoy my MMR, BSD, and even Cyclone a lot more than TH. It could've been so much more! I waited over a year for it after I ordered it and I lost a ton of money when I sold it. It's no mystery to me why there are so many of them on the secondary market so cheap.

#7 6 years ago

Modes start at the right ramp when it’s lit red. Hitting it will start the mode displayed on the book LCD. You can change modes by hitting the left ramp when it’s lit, then hitting the flipper buttons to cycle the mode while the ball is still on the wire form.

Shots that qualify modes are the elf targets, dwarf targets, both ramps, the Radagast hole and the man targets.

The game really didn’t click for me until about 200 or so games.

#8 6 years ago

There is a lot haters on TH and I have held onto mine now for over a year waiting for an update on the code. Keith delivered on the 2.0 and it has taken me a while to really figure it out but I understand now what is going on now. TH takes you on an adventure once you understand the rules you really get immersed in the game. Glad I held out and didn’t bail on it because it was too hard for me at first - the game will only get better as Keith finalizes the code for JJP

#9 6 years ago

The game tells you what to do. Just need to pay attention once you learn what to look for. I find I need to be looking up higher on the play field to figure out what to do like reading the book.
I removed the center post between the flippers. Set the beast multi ball to extra hard. You can also set to critics choice in the settings. Not a better game out there for sounds and linkage to the movies

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

You are missing a bunch of stuff that was supposed to be on the playfield, but never made it into the game.

Oh yeah? Like what?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Oh yeah? Like what?

Oh it was just a joke. I don't need to explain it to you, do I?

#12 6 years ago

We love our Hobbit. Once you understand what you're looking for on the big screen it's easy to understand. Plenty of very different modes, great sounds and awesome wizard modes. It starts out slow, like the movies, and suddenly takes off. Not everyone will like every game and that's fine. I'm not a huge tron fan, but many are. You really just need more time and a better understanding of the machine before deciding to spend the kind of money on any new game. Our Hobbit is going nowhere.

#13 6 years ago

It's funny. Sunday night I made 45 min trip to the pinball bar closest to me. I was playing Batman 66 SLE (yeah, on location) and next to me this lady was playing TH Smaug SE. After our games were done we started chatting about BM 66 and then TH. Turns out her husband and her were fellow Pinsiders. She said she loved the lights, LCD, and music to TH but had no clue how to play it. In five minutes I had the basics explained to her and she was off and running. She had a blast and thanked me. I really enjoyed meeting her and her husband. Shout out to Zanzibar in Louisville who have BM66 SLE, TH Smaug SE, WOZ ruby red, SW LE, TWD LE, GOT premium, Ghostbusters Premium and ST Premium all on location. These games are sitting in a row along with original AFM, TAF, SW data east, Pabst Can Crusher, Dolly Parton, and 6 million dollar man.

#14 6 years ago

If you really want a master tutorial on the game, feeders, kickback rules, and multiballs.

Hobbit is a different beast for sure. Slower, then can get crazy with multiball. Helps to know how to use the Ring button also.

I'm a fan, but probably would not purchase for a 1 or 2 pin house.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

I'm a fan, but probably would not purchase for a 1 or 2 pin house.

I love my Hobbit, but have to agree. Need to have at least one other pin with lower ball times to sit next to it. At first your ball times on Hobbit will be short, but once you get the hang of it, you can have some pretty epic, long games. Don't get me wrong, those long games are phenomenal and epic, but afterwords its nice to have a faster, shorter game to play. I actually find myself playing TH and my EM back to back. They are so opposite but make me hungry for what the other lacks.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Our Hobbit is going nowhere.

Until Pirates arrives.....

#17 6 years ago

Agree on also needing a machine with short game times. I have trouble setting aside the 45 minutes or so a good game lasts. I’m planning to add a Ghostbusters or AC/DC since the hobbit is currently my only game.

#18 6 years ago

So I’ve decided to take the plunge and grab one. Apart from Karl’s video is there any other reading to do about V2 rules?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

So I’ve decided to take the plunge and grab one. Apart from Karl’s video is there any other reading to do about V2 rules?

Congrats!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet

I find pages 2, and 4 with the mode qualifiers and feeder mode map most useful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-what-am-i-missing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.