(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by anathematize
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 5 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

Hello all,
I was looking at some Sterns namely Iron Maiden and TWD but the JJP attention to detail really has blown me away. Are these good for a first timer or am I fixing to bite off more than I can chew to keep them working? I have some technical ability but not a ton. WOZ isn’t really my style and POTC is out of my price range as a first purchase.
Thanks!

Hobbit is the worst JJP machine. We had one for about 6 months. Lots of eye candy, but the game is D-U-L-L and repetitive. You'd be way better off getting a Deadpool/Iron Maiden Premium. Or if you really have your heart set on a JJP and can't swing a jjPotC get the operator version Wonka for $7500. Any of those are better choices than Hobbit.

But really if you want JJP and are on a budget, you should take a look at a HUO WoZ, either the ECLE with the 2.0 lighting already installed or a RR 75th. It's a GREAT game that people of all skill levels can enjoy. I wasn't thrilled with the theme either (much like TWD - I'm not into zombies/horror) but the game won me over.

#37 5 months ago

Okay, done. Now what?

#40 5 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I really like the look of WOZ but I haven’t played it and I worry the music and theme won’t really do it for me. I will definitely try it out in the future though. The board is really impressive to look at, I love the details all over it.

Oh, you should DEFINITELY play WoZ before making this decision, then. It's in your price range and has huge bang for the JJP buck if jjPotC is out of your price range.

#43 5 months ago
Quoted from adol75:

True ! But you better like the theme and music, because there is a lot of WOZ in WOZ.

Meh. If you're into the game that kind of melts away. Just like on TWD. I am NOT into zombies/horror, I haven't watched the show, I avoided the pin because it's gross, but once I finally broke down and tried it, all those things melted away because the GAME is great. Easily a top 10 game for me, despite the theme, just like WoZ.

#44 5 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

before the code updates im guessing?

Played it before and after the code supposedly got better. Still dull. DULL. And same-y. Just not fun. And after me thinking all my life a pin could never have too many drop targets, Hobbit proved me wrong. Conclusively.

#58 5 months ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Agree with you 100%, and its comical how people will down vote someone just sharing an honest opinion.

Pfft. You should be able to look at my post history and figure out that I couldn't give a rip about downvotes and you will ALWAYS know where you stand with me if I interact with you or post on a subject. The way it should be. (Side point, I think the up and downvotes thing in general is bad for pinside. If you want to disagree, tell me WHY, don't click an icon - the art of conversation. Pinside would be better without either, or ration the downvotes available monthly so you really have to think about using your downvote for the month.)

Plus, Hobbit is JJP's worst pin. By a mile. When you're standing on solid ground, it's very easy to stomp confidently.

#64 4 months ago
Quoted from Goronic:

LOL. You obviously don’t know the difference between opinion and fact.

Which is, ironically, YOUR opinion. See? I DO know!

#71 4 months ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

If your buying NIB.....go with an Attack from Mars or Monster Bash. Best BANG for your buck! Hobbit is cool but consider what many on here have said. You'll be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable pinball machine than Attack From Mars....it's a true classic that still stands tall over 20 years later.

Agree. Attack from Mars remake LE, especially, is a fantastic experience. Monster Bash remake is just too basic of a pin. I know that seems weird because BOTH of them are not exactly expansive in the code department, but AfM somehow just does it better. It's a tighter package and the LE with the large screen and interactive martian does great on route and I have yet to tire of it.

#103 4 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I’ve been offered a chance to buy a new POTC SE for $8100. It’s a little out of my range but I’m tempted. I also have a line on a new black arrow hobbit for $7400.

No question. Do THAT. If you are a weirdo and don't like jjPotC for some reason in the end, you're going to lose almost nothing on resale. jjPotC SE for $8100 vs $7400 for a Hobbit black arrow is a no-brainer. jjPotC.

#109 4 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

Got it home safe and sound. However as soon as I played a game the right flipper started sticking up. I played games before I loaded it up and nothing like that happened I guess it’s just my luck. I raised the playfield and made sure everything is tight. The right coil is giving way more resistance than the left coil. I’m guessing either the sleeve or coil is bad.

Check the coil stop. If it's come loose from the bracket (not the bracket being physically loose, the actual coil stop bump that goes into the sleeve coming loose from the bracket itself), it will make flippers do that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springboro, OH

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside