(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by anathematize
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 5 months ago

I love mine, but i'm not sure i would want to choose it if i only had to keep one....

You see a very large part of the joy that my machines bring is watching others play them. The Hobbit is not as approachable for new players and the rules are much harder to explain than say, Deadpool and for a new player to acheive easy goals etc. Not that they can't just that the immediate satisfaction of a good ball is easier to acheive for a novice player on a machine with less complex rules and some simpler shots.

If you are buying this purely for your self disregard.

pinballkids4 (resized).jpg
#30 5 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

It’s mainly for myself. I have two girls that I’m sure will play it randomly but besides me and my wife that’s pretty much it. Holidays my house gets full though. So I want it to be cool to look at and play for others but that’s not really important.

In that case i reckon you'll be happy with The Hobbit. I play it much more than the Deadpool and truth be told love it more. It's so immersive and sucks you into the game. Deadpool has you playing against the machine instead of along with it inside the game if you know what i mean.

The situation in that photo was that one of the girls loved playing Deadpool and the other loved playing the Hobbit. So not all new players will prefer the fastest games either.

#107 4 months ago

Definately a better game with less drains once the center post is out. You find yourself relying on it when you shouldn't other wise and drain too often. Hobbit bounces back fairly often anyway from a center drain, so if your flippers are down you can often save it.

All our higher scores have been since the center post was gone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Flagstaff, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider punkin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside