(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

Hello all,
I was looking at some Sterns namely Iron Maiden and TWD but the JJP attention to detail really has blown me away. Are these good for a first timer or am I fixing to bite off more than I can chew to keep them working? I have some technical ability but not a ton. WOZ isn’t really my style and POTC is out of my price range as a first purchase.
Thanks!

I've owned IM Pro, TWD, and TH. I liked all three but Hobbit is the only one still around. I like longer playing games well. I really appreciate how JJP integrates the theme into the Hobbit. IMO, it is the best theme integration of all the JJP games and easily top 10 of all time. The playfield is open but there are lots to shoot for...both the qualifiers you need to get to wizard modes AND the individual modes. I also own JJP POTC and will say that I like it a tad more than TH. But Hobbit has it beat in individual modes because they are all so different and integrated into the theme. TH is really a beautiful game.

#81 4 years ago

Also wanted to add that the game gets dogged a bunch. Not sure how people can call it boring though. I guess if you don't understand the ruleset or played on an old code set. Yes there are a couple of easy multi balls, one of which is Smaug. The ramp shot can be hit from either flipper. But have you beaten Smaug? Because that is pretty damn exhilarating! Also with the new code you can turn off Multiball stacking which you really need to do so you don't get Smaug and Beast at the same time as it makes killing Smaug near impossible.

The only thing I want from Hobbit that POTC has is character selection with perks. And the only thing I want from POTC that Hobbit has is more thematic modes (chapters).

#84 4 years ago

I think you misread what I was saying. I wish the modes in Pirates were more thematic, like Hobbit. I would rather have 31 thematic modes than 105 modes that are just "hit these shots in any order".

I agree the upper flipper on Hobbit is a bit of waste. I own both games so I understand what the upper flipper does on Pirates.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Clarifying ... Smaug MB is easy to start but far from being easy to actually beat.

Yea that was kind of my point when I followed that up with, Have you ever beaten Smaug? I like the fact that it is easy to start. It gives novices something to shoot for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-smaug-ed-a-good-pinball-for-first-time-buyer?tu=palmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.