(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cscmtp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 4 years ago

Everyone has opinions, but I wouldn't touch it. I bought it NIB and was so excited and it (along with Avengers LE) were 2 of the most disappointing purchases I've ever made in the hobby. Not bashing JJP, I still enjoy my WOZ and I had fun the one time I played DI, but its definitely the worst of what they have put out. I'd go CGC, Stern, or any other JJP for my first pin. Just my humble opinion...

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Hobbit is the worst JJP machine. We had one for about 6 months. Lots of eye candy, but the game is D-U-L-L and repetitive. You'd be way better off getting a Deadpool/Iron Maiden Premium. Or if you really have your heart set on a JJP and can't swing a jjPotC get the operator version Wonka for $7500. Any of those are better choices than Hobbit.
But really if you want JJP and are on a budget, you should take a look at a HUO WoZ, either the ECLE with the 2.0 lighting already installed or a RR 75th. It's a GREAT game that people of all skill levels can enjoy. I wasn't thrilled with the theme either (much like TWD - I'm not into zombies/horror) but the game won me over.

Agree with you 100%, and its comical how people will down vote someone just sharing an honest opinion. Hobbit is very dull and repetitive. After a while the thrill of multiballs and pop ups goes away. There just aren't many long satisfying shots in this pin. Is it beautiful? Absolutely. Built like a tank? WITHOUT question. But for a pretty skilled pinball player, it just gets boring. I love LOTR and Hobbit movies and wanted to love this in the worst way. I would go play one several times before making a decision. And i agree that Deadpool, IM Prem (in my collection and LOVE IT) would be much better choices. I'd add MB66 to that list too. And yes AFM or MB remakes from CGC would be fantastic choices too.

#106 4 years ago

Good luck, hope you end up loving the pin. Some do, some don't, but that's what makes resale work in this hobby I guess

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cscmtp.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-smaug-ed-a-good-pinball-for-first-time-buyer?tu=cscmtp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.