(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by anathematize
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anathematize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 4 months ago

i'm not much of a repair guy but it seems like Iron Maiden is downright bulletproof. Only issue I've ever seen with one is a flipper getting stuck up. But that is an easy fix.

The Hobbit doesn't seem anywhere near as complicated as other JJP's like Pirates but they are daunting machines when you open them up and see what is inside.

as far as gameplay goes... Iron Maiden / TWD blow The Hobbit out of the water imo. Completely different styles of games. If you have family that is going to be playing The Hobbit is the solid choice. If the games are for you and you are interested in becoming a better pinball player its Maiden / TWD all day long.

#48 4 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I’d really like to keep it under 7k for my first pin. If I end up loving having it in the house I’ll be more inclined to spend whatever on the second or third. Plus the wife is already speaking out at 7k lol. She’d never tell me no out right but I’d rather her be happy with how I spend my money. I’m hoping JJP releases more potc in the future that would be a perfect fit for me.

man for 7k you can probably get 2 good pins and get much more enjoyment by being able to rotate between the two. could easily get a used stern pro IM/TWD and something else that is solid.

games like hobbit are great. but after you've played a 30+ minute game hitting that 'start' button again is a pretty daunting task. in my experience it usually takes walking away for a couple hours/days before you feel like diving back in and doing all that work again.

#53 4 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

The only time I really have is on my days off so long games wouldn’t bother me. Where are you seeing TWD or Maiden for 3500? Lol. And I know this is going to sound lame but the details really make the experience for me so I’d probably enjoy one really nice pin more than two that I want to mess with to get looking up to what I want. Pros are usually missing the nice touches I really like.

I believe there is a TWD pro in my area on the marketplace right now for $4600. Maiden might be a few hundred more. I'm guessing in TX you should have some pretty solid options on the used market and the ability to wheel and deal a bit.

That leaves you another ~$2000-2500 to get something else older and solid - or some time to save a few more bucks to get into the $3000-4000 tier of pins which will open your options up a bit more.

I agree that the mechs and toys on a JJP are light years beyond anything on a stern pro... but that doesn't mean that the games themselves aren't just as fun (or even more fun). The Hobbit is downright stunning out of the box. But TWD can be a pretty good looking game too. Especially if you put in a few mods yourself once you get the pin.

I guess its all about the core goal of getting the game. Is it a piece of functional art and entertainment for your house? Is it entertainment with the goal of getting really good a pinball too?

And the 'long game' syndrome can be hard to understand until you get to that point with a game yourself. When I first started out playing the longer the ball time... the better. LOTR, Hobbit, etc. I always viewed it as better value for my quarters.

But now that I've gotten a little better at pinball I can see the beauty in games that give you all the goods in a solid 10-15 minute play session... but leave you wanting to come right back because the hill isn't so big to climb. Basically anything that Lyman codes these days seems to be a home run in this regard.

#101 4 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I’ve been offered a chance to buy a new POTC SE for $8100. It’s a little out of my range but I’m tempted. I also have a line on a new black arrow hobbit for $7400. I really don’t like the stainless steel trim on the SE POTC and am afraid I’ll just end up selling it for an LE or CE.

fwiw i've played a bunch of Pirates on both an SE and a LE and once you are into the game the differences between the two really aren't that noticeable.

1 week later
#119 3 months ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

Idk what the code was like before 2.0 but it’s in an amazing state now.

Early code was pretty bad/boring and likely left a bad taste in lots of people's mouths.

Good to hear the game is exceeding expectations!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Portage, IN
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anathematize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside