(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wildbill327.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 4 years ago

I have owned my Hobbit for a few years and it’s still in my lineup, I also own Iron Maiden pro and it’s going to stay for awhile. The Hobbit starts off like the movies and before you know it you’re in a crazy battle(multiball) and gets pretty exciting. Hobbit also has one of the best finishing shots in pinball, the one shot to kill Smaug(IMO). The game can seem slow at first but once you understand what to shoot and when to shoot it really opens up. The sound on the Hobbit is just awesome, and I think sound has a lot to do with making you feel like you’re part of the game. The 2 games you have on your radar are both great examples of how pinball should be, but 2 different examples. All in all you can’t go wrong with either one... good luck on your decision.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

You get one chance to make a good impression on your family. Hobbit would not be my first choice for reasons mentioned previously. The above recommendation on a proven classic like Attack from Mars or even Monster Bash is a better direction for a first pinball machine IMO.

I had a AFMRLE and it was pretty cool at first especially the topper. After a few months the topper was just a topper and I saved the universe multiple times and all the callouts were kind of repetitive. I traded that game and my Hobbit is still in my lineup.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If you like LOTR, you should like The Hobbit. It’s not really empty - there are 4 beasts that are often used in a variety of ways...and when you realize how every action & reaction is so cleverly programmed, it’s very much like LOTR - each shot can have multiple uses and outcomes. It’s the same sort of Keith logic. You must play it with current code & with the sound blasting. Old code & quiet audio would make me have a different opinion about the game.

We finally get to agree on something... not sure I like that

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 22.50
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wildbill327.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-smaug-ed-a-good-pinball-for-first-time-buyer?tu=Wildbill327 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.