(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hobbit's the best game they've made, the most intuitive, the best rules, the best use of assets, the best music, the best sound, the best callouts, best modes, the most cinematic.

Seriously, spend some time playing Pirates.

You can still love TH but there is no way you could honestly believe what you just wrote if you put a little time on it.

JJP finally delivered on their original over-promise of Woz. Everything really comes together.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

the only thing I want from POTC that Hobbit has is more thematic modes (chapters).

Hobbit doesn't have more modes than POTC.

Pirates has 105, of which 25 are randomly selected at the start of each game, 5 per movie.

The upper flipper is also better implemented in Pirates. It has a very rewarding upper loop shot that is well integrated in the rules. You can increase value with consecutive loops and it will track loop champions. It is required to start one mb and collect jackpots.

It also can feed the back VUK to the upper pf. And it's used to sink a ball in the map hole.

The great part is it's also used to hit plain ole targets so TH fans can still see that it has a purpose.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I have played Pirates. After Hobbit, it just feels like an unfinished game due to lack of assets. Every Hobbit mode has tons of awesome footage & voices. POTC modes just don’t FEEL like anything. I like the cinematic nature of Hobbit. POTC doesn’t have that & it’s a detriment. It might be a better playfield design, but for me the whole package must come together. Hobbit is a complete package. POTC will never have that unless they get AT LEAST character voices in the game. The one dude from the movie doesn’t even feel like a character - he’s a pinball narrator.

Interesting perspective. I respect what you're saying, but my impression was different - more of a lay- person playing pinball, not someone in the industry.

I never saw any Hobbit movie (nor Pirates), so my experience was about playing. I owned Lotr without seeing the movies either. I actually learned the story after playing.

My impression regarding the movie clips for both games was the same. Random scenes associated with shots. They are both well integrated on the LCD. I felt a comparable cinematic nature with both. Ironically, I thought TH shots felt very samey but I was an early code owner. I hated the layout too so I just have no interest going back.

The pirate narrator sounds really good. I think he really elevates the game. And the LCD scenes are more compelling to me, making me want to watch the films. Zombie sharks? Wtf? Visually the pirates scenes are more visually interesting than trolls at a banquet.

I will admit I'm not a die hard fan of either franchise. But fantasy dragon stuff is less interesting to me.

Overall I was surprised how impressed I was with POTC. I didn't expect to like it.

I know we both like TSPP, so I thought there'd be carryover on POTC.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I've been offered a chance to buy a new POTC SE for $8100. It’s a little out of my range but I’m tempted. I also have a line on a new black arrow hobbit for $7400. I

Get the Pirates, it's the better game and the better deal.

Used Hobbits are easy to find for less.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RTS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-smaug-ed-a-good-pinball-for-first-time-buyer?tu=RTS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.