(Topic ID: 246818)

The Hobbit (Smaug Ed) a good pinball for first time buyer?

By Gattiman

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BS_artist.gif
BS_rampup.gif
pinballkids4 (resized).jpg
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I’ve been offered a chance to buy a new POTC SE for $8100. It’s a little out of my range but I’m tempted. I also have a line on a new black arrow hobbit for $7400. I really don’t like the stainless steel trim on the SE POTC and am afraid I’ll just end up selling it for an LE or CE.

fwiw i've played a bunch of Pirates on both an SE and a LE and once you are into the game the differences between the two really aren't that noticeable.

#102 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I've been offered a chance to buy a new POTC SE for $8100. It’s a little out of my range but I’m tempted. I also have a line on a new black arrow hobbit for $7400. I

Get the Pirates, it's the better game and the better deal.

Used Hobbits are easy to find for less.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I’ve been offered a chance to buy a new POTC SE for $8100. It’s a little out of my range but I’m tempted. I also have a line on a new black arrow hobbit for $7400.

No question. Do THAT. If you are a weirdo and don't like jjPotC for some reason in the end, you're going to lose almost nothing on resale. jjPotC SE for $8100 vs $7400 for a Hobbit black arrow is a no-brainer. jjPotC.

#104 4 years ago

Play them both before choosing. Though you may very well like potc better. Like vireland said, even if you don’t like potc you will able to sell it with little to no loss. Enjoy whatever you get, having a pinball machine under your own roof rocks!

#105 4 years ago

I went with an LE hobbit. Picking it up Thursday. I haven’t played POTC but it looks like a blast. I found a HUO LE for 6500 with 180 plays. It’s perfect for my budget and reasonably local. I’ll grab a POTC after playing it and when they come down a bit.

Quoted from anathematize:

fwiw i've played a bunch of Pirates on both an SE and a LE and once you are into the game the differences between the two really aren't that noticeable.

I really hate the stainless frame on the SE. I just think it looks cheap. I’m really weird about details like that. Plus I’d have to pay tax so I would pay 2300 more for the SE than the LE hobbit I found. And I know I like the hobbit already lol. Hard to be upset about missing a game I haven’t played yet.

#106 4 years ago

Good luck, hope you end up loving the pin. Some do, some don't, but that's what makes resale work in this hobby I guess

#107 4 years ago

Definately a better game with less drains once the center post is out. You find yourself relying on it when you shouldn't other wise and drain too often. Hobbit bounces back fairly often anyway from a center drain, so if your flippers are down you can often save it.

All our higher scores have been since the center post was gone.

#108 4 years ago

Got it home safe and sound. However as soon as I played a game the right flipper started sticking up. I played games before I loaded it up and nothing like that happened I guess it’s just my luck. I raised the playfield and made sure everything is tight. The right coil is giving way more resistance than the left coil. I’m guessing either the sleeve or coil is bad.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

Got it home safe and sound. However as soon as I played a game the right flipper started sticking up. I played games before I loaded it up and nothing like that happened I guess it’s just my luck. I raised the playfield and made sure everything is tight. The right coil is giving way more resistance than the left coil. I’m guessing either the sleeve or coil is bad.

Check the coil stop. If it's come loose from the bracket (not the bracket being physically loose, the actual coil stop bump that goes into the sleeve coming loose from the bracket itself), it will make flippers do that.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

I’m guessing either the sleeve

Coil stop loose ?

Remove coil stop - feel end of plunger - sharp edge or mushroomed ? Time to rebuild. New plunger assembly, new coil sleeve, new coil stop.

You can file/grind the plunger end smooth until you get new parts.

LTG : )

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Coil stop loose ?
Remove coil stop - feel end of plunger - sharp edge or mushroomed ? Time to rebuild. New plunger assembly, new coil sleeve, new coil stop.
You can file/grind the plunger end smooth until you get new parts.
LTG : )

Cool! I’ll check that out after work today.

#112 4 years ago

Got it fixed. Boyyyyy I am so in love with this game. The sound and design are so engrossing. My kids can play it because it starts slow. They really like the dragon and how colorful it is. JJP is just something special. I’m thoroughly impressed. Will definitely buy more in the future.

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

Got it fixed. Boyyyyy I am so in love with this game. The sound and design are so engrossing. My kids can play it because it starts slow. They really like the dragon and how colorful it is. JJP is just something special. I’m thoroughly impressed. Will definitely buy more in the future.

My family likes it alot too. Just amazing theme integration and mode creativity.

#114 4 years ago

What was the fix?

#115 4 years ago

I love mine. I have used it in my home, as well as at my arcade. Only had a couple issues. One easy and one was a bitch. The ax on the slingshot broke..easy fix. The dwarf drop target bank sheared off all the coil stop screws on all but 1 drop. THAT replacement sucked......kinda expensive and quite a bit of time getting it out and the parts migrated over to the new bracket.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What was the fix?

Took the assembly apart, cleaned it up put it back nice and tight. It worked great after 15 plays.

#117 4 years ago

Congratulations on your new game.

1 week later
#118 4 years ago

So I’ve got around 60 plays on it. Everything is working great wanted to drop some impressions.

I know where the slow and boring criticisms come from. The game is designed around Multiball. If you can’t get the Multiball going through beast frenzy, erebore, and Smaug Multiball it’s going to seem slow. Especially if your bad or new to the game this will happen. Once you know what to do though, this won’t happen you’ll get the Multiball going and that’s when hobbit hits it’s stride.

The depth of the code is AMAZING. I’ve gotten through the first two Arkenstone modes and beat Into the fire. I’ve killed Smaug once. Top score 3.5 million so far. Hopefully I can get to the last one soon. I love all the random missions and shots the game has. Multiball increases the difficulty so much bc shots become far more difficult and pinball management is very key so you’re not constantly pushing balls around the bottom.

Smaug being animated and following the pinball as well as talking/taunting the player wows guests and my kids alike.

Idk what the code was like before 2.0 but it’s in an amazing state now. I’ll probably never sell it and just add to it. Also Jersey Jack tech support has been great helping me through a few things to get it playing perfect. I really appreciate it since I bought it used.

Oh and the call outs man. If you like the movies you’ll love the call outs.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Gattiman:

Idk what the code was like before 2.0 but it’s in an amazing state now.

Early code was pretty bad/boring and likely left a bad taste in lots of people's mouths.

Good to hear the game is exceeding expectations!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 22.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-smaug-ed-a-good-pinball-for-first-time-buyer/page/3?hl=aflacjack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.