• The Hobbit 36 votes
    49%
  • MMR 28 votes
    38%
  • Other 9 votes
    12%

(73 votes)

#1 2 years ago

I want to hear from people who either own both of these machines or have extensive time on BOTH. I have a The Hobbit Smaug Gold and I really like it, but I also love Medieval Madness and can't afford to have both of them. If you could only have one of these, which would it be? I am considering selling my Hobbit to buy a MMR but I would like to get others opinions before I make the decision.

#2 2 years ago

The Hobbit is a great game and so is Medieval Madness, I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of selling one to get the other.......

#4 2 years ago

I love both and own hobbit. I always wanted MM but after playing it on location it seemed to get boring after a while. Great game, theme, toys, and looks, but gets old after destroying the castle so many times. I'd keep hobbit for its depth.

#5 2 years ago

Hobbit! Both are amazing games but I would give Hobbit the edge due to its deeper and more unique ruleset.

#6 2 years ago

I sold a black MMR LE for the Hobbit SE and I have no regrets. MMR is a great game but it just didn't click with me like the other games I bought in the past. The Hobbit was a chance as I had not played it at all and it was still fairly early in the code, but the 1.3x release came out and I could see the direction it was going in and made the trade.

I think I'm more of a AFM guy, so if it was AFMR instead of MMR I probably would not have the Hobbit today...

--Kevin

#7 2 years ago

I wish I had more play time on the Hob to see if I really liked it. I consider a trade if I knew I wanted one.

#8 2 years ago

The hobbit isn't a very good game, mostly down to the terrible layout. If you aren't a player, that really won't matter to you, as the Hobbit is certainly flashier, newer, and more likely to impress your neighbors / friends / wife / guests. It has a "wow" factor to it that a conventional, 20-year old game can't match.

If you are a player, I'd suggest the MMR as it's a much better game.

both seem likely to hold their value.

#9 2 years ago

They are both really good games and very different. Play the shit out of both and get the one you like the most. There are some on Pinside that will choose an EM over either one of those machine and that is alright too for those individuals. You need to decide whatever floats your canoe for yourself.

#10 2 years ago

I voted hobbit and have both. Honestly, both are fantastic games, but for the same price you get better build quality, a deeper game, better lighting, and large color screen. I would not sell hobbit for any mm and am glad I'm lucky enought to have both.

I do not agree TH isn't a very good game because of layout. On the contrary, I think jjp has done very well laying it out, but it's the rules that sets it apart. It is one of the best games I've ever played. You can't appreciate it on location nearly as much as in a home environment.

#11 2 years ago

I voted other. I played a number of games on the Hobbit at Pin Wiz, and I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure the code is insanely deep, but the layout is something I personally can't get past.

I love MM, but I went with "other" as a vote for an original MM. I know, I know: MMR vs MM has been discussed to death. After seeing the clear coat in this thread though: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/documenting-the-entire-life-of-a-medieval-madness-remake I couldn't imagine buying a remake over an original. The price of an original vs a remake are close enough to make me lean towards the OG.

#12 2 years ago

i had a MM for about 6 months, and while it was/is a great machine, i lost interest in it quickly. Personally i like the "epic" games better (lotr, tspp, woz, hobbit, ect). if you only have room for one then my choice would be the hobbit.

#13 2 years ago

Hobbit has it.

I have both and love both, whilst MM is a great machine and I will never let it go its somewhat dated when compared to the Hobbit.

If I could just keep one it would be Hobbit as its a deeper rule set, offers far more and well pips MM.

#14 2 years ago

Own Hobbit currently and have owned MM in the past. I voted for Hobbit. So many great things going on. To be fair, I also have an AFM right now so I get my MM-like fix with that. I agree that Hobbit is an amazing pin. It is one of my favorites and the favorite of almost everyone who comes over.

#15 2 years ago

Where's the BOTH option?

Hobbit is deeper and more modern but also more tricky to work on. MM is a bit easier to maintain. Both make people smile.

#16 2 years ago

Every week there's a new thread about MMR vs a game. Everyone just recycling the same information at this point

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Where's the BOTH option?
Hobbit is deeper and more modern but also more tricky to work on. MM is a bit easier to maintain. Both make people smile.

I didn't put a both option because I can only afford to have one !

#18 2 years ago

Thank you all for your opinions. I think I'm just going to keep the Hobbit for a while at least until the code is finished.

#19 2 years ago

I wouldn't sell the Smaug to buy a MM/MMR. Maybe someone would trade you a MM/MMR on a temporary swap for say, 6 moths or a year.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I wouldn't sell the Smaug to buy a MM/MMR. Maybe someone would trade you a MM/MMR on a temporary swap for say, 6 moths or a year.

That's a good idea Scott !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New Braunfels, TX
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Portage, IN
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside