hobbit (resized).png
IMG_5144 (resized).JPG
Hobbit Rulesheet v0.8.pdf (PDF preview)
hobbit_sankey2 (resized).png
FeederMap-Alt (resized).png
FeederMap (resized).png
hobbit_sankey_fixed (resized).png
EOB (resized).png
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.6small.pdf (PDF preview)
13839694_1236657023033748_1917523963_o_(resized).jpg
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.5(300dpi).pdf (PDF preview)
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.2.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #86 Modes map, and images link (spoilers) Posted by koops (7 years ago)

Post #108 Mode order graphics and dependencies Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 7 years ago

Cool

2 weeks later
#14 7 years ago

Are you sure? I thought it dropped the diverter in the ramp for a quick loop to the back of the Orc/goblin?

4 weeks later
#26 7 years ago

A few updates:
1) The Ring Button: "Light Thorin" is an award. You also definitely need a charged ring to postpone mode or lock. You have "Fire Windlance" as a charged award, but that shouldn't be. You use the ring button to fire a loaded arrow at the start of a mode, but that's lit by the mystery award.
I believe "Beast Backstab" is the first one of the two scenarios you listed.
2) Beast Frenzy: Thorin (captive ball) lights for jackpots during this mode too. Starting it adds a rune towards an Arkenstone mode.
3) Feast Frenzy...starting it definitely awards a rune towards an Arkenstone mode. If you get all the Dwarves the mode ends.
4) Smaug Multiball...starting it also definitely adds a rune towards an Arkenstone mode.
5) The level 3 mystery award, load arrow, is only good for one shot...I.e. One mode start.
6) Precioussssss ball save game only requires the outlane switch to be hit, NOT the Beorn target...but I did figure out what Beorn is for today!
7) The Beorn target becomes active during multiballs. You will know this because the right inlane lamps strobe in a sequence towards the target when it is active. Hitting this target adds a ball. It's similar to the outlane add a balls that were added to WOZ in the late update.
8) Reaching Erebor and beating a mode both add runes to an Arkenstone mode. When you get all 5 runes you start an Arkenstone mode by hitting either VUK. Into the Fire is pretty cool, but very sparse on sounds/music/speech at this point. It's a multiball with a lengthy sequence that makes sense shot-wise in the context of the scene, as Keith's games always do. I believe I got pretty far through it, though who knows?
9) For kicking over barrels: I believe a single "DWARF" target is lit flashing a light blue/white color to hit instead of any ARF target?
10) Mode Selection: yes, both left and right flippers work for this (they move the selected mode in opposite directions)
11) I won't get into modes this post, but I think "Defeat of Azog" is impossible. It can start a few ways, but always puts an undefeatable beast in your way. For example it will light the right loop as the mode shot but pop up the Warg so you can't hit it. You can bash the Warg all day and he just growls. Nothing else is lit. I think I ONCE had the Orc pop up with the loop as the shot, but after hitting that shot it gave me another impossible scenario. Weird that it is different each time though.
I also swear that both the One Ring mode and the Thief in the Night mode required more than one shot before...I might be crazy there, but it would be super cool if the modes slightly altered depending on WHEN you played them.

That's all for now...this is on version 1.20 by the way.

1 week later
#35 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

In the Defeat of Azog, look for the blue light inserts and hitting that will drop the beast for a little bit. Very tough mode, almost not worth it for the little points you get. I really enjoy the pop bumper modes and seeing that magnet catch a nice loop shot before dropping it into the bumpers for big points.
I was finally able to beat Into the Fire today. There are four stages before getting to victory laps. The first stage is just collecting 15 of the lit green shots and then hitting the super jackpot on the left ramp. This will then add a ball into play without a ball save. The next stage involves hitting 3 drop targets and then the warg. Repeat roughly 8-10 times?? Super Jackpot collect is at the Thorin captive ball and a ball is added upon collecting it. Stage 3 seems to be hitting 15 or so beast (all but the spider). They pop up at random times. After hitting the necessary number, both the Orc and Goblin stay up and you have to shoot the ball through them and into the captive ball for the super jackpot. Once again, a ball is added after collecting the super jackpot. Stage 4 involves hitting either ramp to raise 3 beasts (all but the spider) and then hitting a total of 15 beasts. The beasts you hit won't come up until you hit another ramp shot. After hitting the 15 beasts, you then shoot the right ramp (bilbo baggins) to collect the super jackpot and add a ball into play. It will then tell you that you beat the mode and the next objective is to collect 15 members (victory laps) before collecting another super jackpot.
I did notice that the super jackpot did not light after the completion of stage 4. The TV said to shoot Bilbo, but the Bilbo insert wasn't lit. Overall, phenomenal mode and it really fit the theme of the movie well.
The more I play this game, the more I love it. It is truly unlike anything I've ever played before. It is super important to be accurate with your shooting in order to get high scores. Nothing is worse than having Into the Fire lit and not being able to hit either hole.
Can't wait for the next two mini wizard modes! I think I had one game where I played Into the Fire 3 times. The progress doesn't carry forward. Each time through it starts at the beginning.

Nice write up. I usually flame out of Into the Fire in stage 4.

#39 7 years ago

Looks like there is actually five stages according to Keith's email in the JJP google group. Stage 5 is kind of the victory lap mode which is where you have to shoot all 15 lit shots (MAN, ARF, ELF, right ramp, left ramp, captive ball, right loop, left loop, and left hole) at 5000 + 250. Hitting all 15 shots will relight them again until you drain into single ball play. Also for the target shots in Stage 5, its the stand up targets behind the drop targets, not the drop targets themselves.

That's the Into the Fire mode.

1 month later
#61 7 years ago

Page 11: I think you might have the lighting the beast inlanes wrong. If I remember correctly, the ramps will light the respective WARG/SPIDER and the loops will light the respective GOBLIN/ORC.

Nope. Warg/Spider are the loops.

1 month later
#74 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

You start fresh. All modes must be qualified again.

Correct...but you can be a couple of spins away from Erebor and a dwarf away from Feast Frenzy and that progress isn't lost after playing an Arkenstone mode.

2 weeks later
#102 7 years ago

Battle of 5 Armies is pretty bare bones at the moment...no way software is "complete". There is no mini display (it's blank), not much sound, callouts, or music, and instructions are lacking. It's "color" is pale green and you have to drop the ELF and DWARF targets for a while, then the targets slowly cycle and you continue to hit them, then it switches to beast hits...then I drained.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Can anyone confirm what the bonus x shot is?
I've had the bonus up as high as 18x (400+ thousand) I feel like it is when the ball goes in the pops, the captive ball briefly turns blue to hit with the upper flipper.

Nope...the blue captive ball after the ball is in the pops is to relight the kickback. You can stack kickback lights too.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I'm not totally sold on this visualisation. You can see the dependencies but I don't like the thickness of the lines, some of the text overlaps so its hard to tell what line is what mode (ie. mirkwood looks like flies and spiders). I'll see if I can make something clearer but it's a decent start.

I've had a few mins to digest this.
The way to read this is left side is least dependencies, right is most dependencies.
So best method is playing from left to right. Simple
There are a few key modes through out that feed into more modes that others.
Examples. roast mutton. the one ring. mirkwood.
Maybe I can manipulate the data and have the lines cumulatively weighted.

I think if you spaced everything vertically more and thinned out the "lines" it would help a lot, but fantastic work man!!!!

#114 7 years ago

Battle of Five Armies was different than described for me. See my post above...

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Thanks. I think it matches what I saw on video... I grabbed instructions for # of beast to kill from screen (lower right) since book was blank. And during stage 1 the elf and dwarf were green and collecting increased multiplier. Then for stage 2 man was Green and completing increased multiplier. I'll put a link up later... But it was Koops video... And I need to find more to watch

Maybe I just REALLY increased my multiplier when I played then...LOL. They did change up and start cycling drops after a while like I advanced to another stage. Hmmm, I admit I didn't really read the screen so much. I just shot the lit targets.

1 week later
#128 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

For the 3 pop-up beasts... is super jackpot awarded after the 3rd hit?

I think he meant 30, not 3p.

1 week later
#134 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Anyone want to take the glass off and record full completions of barrel escape and battle of the five armies wizard modes... (screen shots of book and lower right corner of main screen) so I can see all the instructions ... Otherwise it could be years before we figure out all the steps in each wizard mode.

The book is blacked out currently in 5 Armies...

3 months later
#154 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I couldn't find this in your rulesheet, but something you can add if it's not in there someplace ... might be related here
Super Jets / Kicking Over Barrels - when exiting the pops going into the right orbit lane, I DID see the immediate DWARF target light up for the shot as mentioned, but when that is not "qualified" (however that happens), instead the captive ball indicator light lights up blue and with the upper right flipper if you hit the captive ball right away to go up and hit the captive ball target, it is 4000 points. I have seen this several times ... not sure if there is a different qualifier for that.
Using version 1.95P - (beta)

No, the lit captive ball from pops adds a "kick-back" and they (the kick-backs) can be stacked.

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Ok ... the floating 4000 points that appears as soon as I hit the captive ball in that situation must be from something else. It has been repeatable, but I'll watch to see if that 4000 points does not appear sometime. It isn't during a multi-ball when I notice this.

Well, I suppose you may get 4000 points too, but the kickback is for sure...

1 week later
#159 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Still no time frame on update? Also, a woz update is really happening? Jjp sure does a great job finishing off their machines.

Other than the beta? No, no time frame for an official release. Yes, a WOZ update is happening but it's not really rule changes. We'll get things like "reserve ball play" and "floating scores" added. And yes, JJP is doing a great job finishing their games (just wish Hobbit code progress was faster at this point).

2 months later
#171 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Is there a way to flip the mode back to the one that was previously available. For example if the one ring is lit and you hit the last dwarf drop by accident and the mode changes.

Yes. If you hit the left ramp, you can cycle through the lit modes forward or backwards with the flipper buttons. It's imperative to pick and play the right modes and not waste easier ones if you already have the rune collected for modes.

Edit: you can quickly cycle through the modes until the inlane or another switch is hit.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

So as the ball goes up the ramp you use the left or right flipper?

Yes, while it's traveling on the ramp (and wireform) use the left or right flipper depending on which direction you want to cycle.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Have had the game two months and I finally figured out feeder modes, thanks to the help of this forum. The worksheets, videos, and discussions are invaluable.
A few questions:
1. What determines which feeder modes are assigned to which modes? Does it have to do with the sequence of the movie? They seem random but I'm sure they're not.
2. Map scoring is cool, but how do you know if the mode you are playing is past that point on the map? Do you really have to know the movie that well?
3. Any chance you guys think the next revision will include a status update when holding a flipper button? This is the only game I have that doesn't have one. Would especially love to know what I scored in each mode since it flashes up then down so very quickly. (!!!)
4. With such a complicated game, why doesn't JJP put out an in-depth set of rules? I'm sure Keith and his team spend an extraordinary amount of time designing and engineering the software – and without this in-depth discussion, I would've never figured out the complexity of it all. If they've already got it figured out, why not share it with us?
Thanks!

1) Sequence of the movies.
2) yes, you pretty much have to know the movies.
3) Only Keith knows if that is coming.
4) Basically, because it is fun to figure stuff out by playing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet?tu=pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.