hobbit (resized).png
IMG_5144 (resized).JPG
Hobbit Rulesheet v0.8.pdf (PDF preview)
hobbit_sankey2 (resized).png
FeederMap-Alt (resized).png
FeederMap (resized).png
hobbit_sankey_fixed (resized).png
EOB (resized).png
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.6small.pdf (PDF preview)
13839694_1236657023033748_1917523963_o_(resized).jpg
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.5(300dpi).pdf (PDF preview)
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.2.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago

Isn't the Arkenstone mode scoring dependant on what tier mode you completed to qualify the Arkenstone?

Do I get more points for completing a ***** mode before starting Into The Fire than I would if I only completed a * mode?

And what is the scoring difference? Does it matter if I have completed more than just one mode before starting the arkenstone? I have always wanted more info on this.

#202 3 years ago

* = 1/4 value
** = 1/2 value
*** = Full value
**** = 2x value
***** = 4x value

#203 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Isn't the Arkenstone mode scoring dependant on what tier mode you completed to qualify the Arkenstone?

Yep.

Quoted from pinlink:

Do I get more points for completing a ***** mode before starting Into The Fire than I would if I only completed a * mode?

Yep.

Quoted from pinlink:

And what is the scoring difference?

Good summary in the post right before this. I don't think this was explained well in the rulesheet, so I am going to add a paragraph on this and re-publish, as it's very important for scoring.

Quoted from pinlink:

Does it matter if I have completed more than just one mode before starting the arkenstone? I have always wanted more info on this.

More than one doesn't matter, but the level of stars does. Note that if you complete multiple modes before starting an Arkenstone mode, the highest star value from any mode you completed will apply.

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

And what is the scoring difference? Does it matter if I have completed more than just one mode before starting the arkenstone? I have always wanted more info on this.

Quoted from Reaper802:

* = 1/4 value
** = 1/2 value
*** = Full value
**** = 2x value
***** = 4x value

Like the book modes with star ratings, the road to Erebor has a Arkenstone score multiplier too. Ted mentioned it in one of these threads but I can't remember what the multiplier scheme was. But reaching it once was a low multiplier. You need to complete it multiple times for some good Arkenstone multipliers. I'm guessing that the different levels of Smaug and Beast multiballs probably have multiplier levels also. Guessing the Feast Frenzy is like the road to Erebor in that you need to complete it multiple times for a good Arkenstone multipliers. It all adds up for higher points in the Arkenstone modes. I wish JJP would explain these multipliers to us owners. I asked that question to JJP for their "Behind the Backglass" question/answer new thing that they are starting. We'll see if they reply to that one. I hope so.

#205 3 years ago

Completing a four or five star before into the fire and completing it, you’ll be at 3-5 million easy after that.

#206 3 years ago

Thank you for the PDF! Great job!

1 week later
#207 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

After some quality time with the glass off, we have updated the Hobbit Rulesheet to be complete with the latest v3.10 code. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8A56XYts9n-qZBQUL4VW4c91AIzoUmk/view?usp=sharing
Feel free to send me any suggestions/corrections.
Ben
cc tiesmasc

@bmlors
Wow. Really impressive! I had no idea about the mode multiplier aspect of Arkenstone mini-wizard modes. It makes me want to have a go at playing some Hobbit just to experience the nuanced rules, even though I'm not a big fan of how the game physically shoots.

To help me understand:
1) The "*" calculation of Arkenstone scoring... confirm some math examples, if you would...
A) if I play one single * mode and one quintuple ***** mode, then my next Arkenstone scoring is at 1x? (1/4x times 4x = 1x)
B) if I play one single * mode and one double ** mode, then my next Arkenstone scoring is at a paltry 1/8x? (1/4x times 1/2x = 1/8x)

2) Do all the modes played (from the beginning of the game) prior to an Arkenstone wizard mode factor into the * multiplier? Or is it just the modes that are played between Arkenstone modes?

3) During the Treasure Hunt phase of a Mode multiball:
- Is the Treasure Hunt value = the total points scored in the Mode?
- Does your eventual Mode Total (that factors into your EOB bonus from Feeders/Map) get increased by the amount of points collected during Treasure Hunt?

4) Is there a good YouTube or Twitch video of someone going deep in the game on latest code?

Thanks again.

#208 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

bmlors
It makes me want to have a go at playing some Hobbit just to experience the nuanced rules, even though I'm not a big fan of how the game physically shoots.

You probably played one that wasn't set to a steep enough pitch of 7.2 degrees and have flipper strength set to compensate. This was the typical setup and why it played floaty and overall bad. It's a shame so many people had this experience.

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

bmlors
Wow. Really impressive! I had no idea about the mode multiplier aspect of Arkenstone mini-wizard modes. It makes me want to have a go at playing some Hobbit just to experience the nuanced rules, even though I'm not a big fan of how the game physically shoots.
To help me understand:
1) The "*" calculation of Arkenstone scoring... confirm some math examples, if you would...
A) if I play one single * mode and one quintuple ***** mode, then my next Arkenstone scoring is at 1x? (1/4x times 4x = 1x)
B) if I play one single * mode and one double ** mode, then my next Arkenstone scoring is at a paltry 1/8x? (1/4x times 1/2x = 1/8x)
2) Do all the modes played (from the beginning of the game) prior to an Arkenstone wizard mode factor into the * multiplier? Or is it just the modes that are played between Arkenstone modes?
- Does your eventual Mode Total (that factors into your EOB bonus from Feeders/Map) get increased by the amount of points collected during Treasure Hunt?
4) Is there a good YouTube or Twitch video of someone going deep in the game on latest code?
Thanks again.

You have to finish a Mode for it to qualify for a mini wizard mode. Highest star value finished when you start the mini wizard is what your value is set at. (If you finish a 1 star, a 2 star, and a 4 star, then go Into the Fire, it will be worth 2x) You will need to finish another mode to start Barrel Escape.

Keep an eye on Buffalo Pinball on Twitch this week as Kev and Joe are going to battle on The Hobbit. It will be a great way to learn a ton of rules for this masterpiece.

#210 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Keep an eye on Buffalo Pinball on Twitch this week as Kev and Joe are going to battle on The Hobbit. It will be a great way to learn a ton of rules for this masterpiece.

When is the stream?

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

bmlors
To help me understand:
Thanks again.

#1 -- already answered, but just to confirm that whatever the highest value mode you complete before starting multi-ball is what counts. So your A example would be 4x...your B example would be 1/2x. And just to make sure it's clear -- it's not just playing the mode...you have to finish the mode.

#2 -- just the modes played between Arkenstone multi-balls count toward starting the next one. If you're ever curious about where you're at during the game, just hold down a flipper (catching a ball) and you can scroll through on the screen to see what you have active going into the multi-ball.

#3 -- frankly not sure. kjlors might know.

#4 -- I haven't seen one that's current, so sounds like the other posts about one this week would be your best shot. We did link a short video of There and Back Again into the rulesheet, but that's just a tiny snippet of what it took to get to that point.

Bonus -- I'd second the comments about making sure the machine is setup well before judging the game play too harshly. For me, it was the first JJP/widebody that I'd played. I was very used to my LOTR LE, which plays fast and rewards precise shots. Hobbit initially felt slow/soft to me, but then we increased the pitch a bit and bumped the flipper strength. That, combined with learning the depth of the rules, makes a huge difference in enjoying the game. Despite both being from Middle Earth (ha!), they are very different games but equally enjoyable once you get good at them.

#212 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Highest star value finished when you start the mini wizard is what your value is set at. (If you finish a 1 star, a 2 star, and a 4 star, then go Into the Fire, it will be worth 2x)

Thanks so much. Understood. That helps.... because in my misinterpreted way, it would then dissuade you from playing certain Feeder modes due to the guaranteed negative effect it would have on your next Arkenstone (if you complete it).

#213 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

When is the stream?

Kev is streaming starting at 8pm tonight.

#214 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

Thanks so much. Understood. That helps.... because in my misinterpreted way, it would then dissuade you from playing certain Feeder modes due to the guaranteed negative effect it would have on your next Arkenstone (if you complete it).

Start at 2:15:00. Here. I start a game where I complete a 4 star then play through almost all of Into the Fire. Well I get to victory laps I think. We also talk a lot during it. Not sure we know what we’re talking about though. Haha.

So just basically doing that netted 2.1 million and playing all the way to there and back again on the previous game got like 3.5-3.8 million. Haha.

I’m sure with your talents you can bring a 5 star into Into the Fire and come out with 4-5 million.

This is a game that benefits from playing with a friend to help tell you what to shoot.

#215 3 years ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/685817713

Kev battles Joe Friday night around 8:30 EST. Tune in and check it out.

#216 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is a game that benefits from playing with a friend to help tell you what to shoot.

Agreed. Having a co-pilot is invaluable!

#217 3 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Like the book modes with star ratings, the road to Erebor has a Arkenstone score multiplier too. Ted mentioned it in one of these threads but I can't remember what the multiplier scheme was.

Also this,
From Manual Page 15 of 33

"Not shown is the location of the mode which also increases scoring if your map is
advanced beyond that location when you play the mode."
- This is the 'Map Bonus' shown on display.

#218 3 years ago

Learn all the rules. This was one of the greatest streams and highlights ever for this Masterpiece.

#219 3 years ago

The only thing that effects points as a multiplier in Arkenstone modes is the highest star rating of the book mode completed. All of the other Arkenstone mode qualifiers do not effect the Arkenstone modes scoring. That came directly from Eric in the stream.

Good to know.

#220 3 years ago

bmlors Thanks again for all the work you put into refining this.
One minor suggestion: would you mind putting a page break in page 15, so that the table of the mode hex grid is all one page instead of split between two pages?
Thanks.

#221 3 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

bmlors Thanks again for all the work you put into refining this.
One minor suggestion: would you mind putting a page break in page 15, so that the table of the mode hex grid is all one page instead of split between two pages?
Thanks.

Snailman -- good call, I made that change. The link should always reflect the latest version, which now has the table all on page 16.

#222 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Learn all the rules. This was one of the greatest streams and highlights ever for this Masterpiece.

Thanks for this!
I learned some things and it was fun to watch. I did not know about the ability to select the right or left VUK from the magnet catch.

#223 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Thanks for this!
I learned some things and it was fun to watch. I did not know about the ability to select the right or left VUK from the magnet catch.

How do you do that? Or do you recall where they talk about it in the video? Thanks.

#224 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

How do you do that? Or do you recall where they talk about it in the video? Thanks.

Hold left or right flipper button down as the magnet catches. As soon as the ball breaks the opto beam in the subway it will take the value from the flipper held down. Otherwise it's random.

#225 3 years ago
Quoted from Reaper802:

Otherwise it's random.

If I don't go right by holding the flipper, mine always goes left by default.

#226 3 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

If I don't go right by holding the flipper, mine always goes left by default.

same here

#227 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

1:26:00

5 months later
#228 3 years ago

Hey guys - I can't find this in the rules, so hoping y'all know...

After you Light Thorin (using the ring button when it's orange or from a mystery award or whatever), the insert in front of the captive ball standup target turns orange. What do you get for hitting the captive ball after that (while it's lit orange vs. normally not lit)? I'm never looking at the screen when it happens and I'm not finding it in the Rulesheet... Thanks!

#229 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Hey guys - I can't find this in the rules, so hoping y'all know...
After you Light Thorin (using the ring button when it's orange or from a mystery award or whatever), the insert in front of the captive ball standup target turns orange. What do you get for hitting the captive ball after that (while it's lit orange vs. normally not lit)? I'm never looking at the screen when it happens and I'm not finding it in the Rulesheet... Thanks!

It will spot you a dwarf you haven’t collected yet.

1 week later
#230 3 years ago

So in terms of qualifying modes, do I need for equality after playing each mode? If I’m trying to get to taba, (let’s say I’m just timing out modes) do I need to re qualify after each mode, or are they permanently qualified? Anyone have a good strategy here?

#231 3 years ago

Yes you will need to requalify them. If you're going that route I would take the modes that require the most qualifiers when they are available. Try to get into multiballs and postpone starting a mode while you try and work on missing qualifiers then start your mode.

#232 3 years ago

Thanks! Sounds extremely difficult.

2 weeks later
#233 3 years ago

Made my own version of the quick reference sheet to learn the game based on all the awesome info in the rules doc..........thought I would share and see what you all thought.

Hobbit grid.pdfHobbit grid.pdf
#234 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Made my own version of the quick reference sheet to learn the game based on all the awesome info in the rules doc..........thought I would share and see what you all thought.
[quoted image]

Thats awesome thanks!

#235 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

After some quality time with the glass off, we have updated the Hobbit Rulesheet to be complete with the latest v3.10 code. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8A56XYts9n-qZBQUL4VW4c91AIzoUmk/view?usp=sharing
Feel free to send me any suggestions/corrections.
Ben
cc tiesmasc

In the http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/th/Hobbit_Manual%203_4%20November%202018.pdf PDF flow chart it says "FORGE GOLD -> 3. 2x playfeld (Super X)", so in your PDF, you can update the super X ??? to "playfield 2x"

1 month later
#236 3 years ago

[quoted image]

PinballHaven This is fantastic - I hope they incorporate this into the next update!!! I added the sequence identifier and qualifier info to this version for a little more one-stop-shopping

HobbitModesInfo.pdfHobbitModesInfo.pdf
5 months later
#237 2 years ago

[quoted image]

great! Thank you

5 months later
#238 2 years ago

These are awesome and crazy helpful!

Any chance someone has done this for wonka?

#239 2 years ago

Tiltforums is the best available right now: http://tiltforums.com/t/willy-wonka-rulesheet-early-wip/5406
No tutorial video that I could find but there are a couple good vids on youtube.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/5?hl=clellison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.