hobbit (resized).png
IMG_5144 (resized).JPG
Hobbit Rulesheet v0.8.pdf (PDF preview)
hobbit_sankey2 (resized).png
FeederMap-Alt (resized).png
FeederMap (resized).png
hobbit_sankey_fixed (resized).png
EOB (resized).png
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.6small.pdf (PDF preview)
13839694_1236657023033748_1917523963_o_(resized).jpg
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.5(300dpi).pdf (PDF preview)
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.2.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Any rumors of another update coming soon? Feels like a final arkenstone mode is still missing

An update is being worked on for the hobbit and WOZ.

#152 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Rumors ... A new official release "Soon" ... they were trying to come up with a Ubuntu operating system solution for the sound popping issue if the pin is left on for a long time.

hmm ubuntu fix eh? Might have a look and see if I can figure this out out.

I'd hazard a guess that this is the same/similar noise that occurs upon start up?
I'm seen other ubuntu posts saying this is related to power save on the intel audio power save.

I'll have a play with my machine and see if I can fix it.

edit: tried 1/2 a dozen of the ubuntu tricks and nothing has worked

3 weeks later
#153 7 years ago

I couldn't find this in your rulesheet, but something you can add if it's not in there someplace ... might be related here

Super Jets / Kicking Over Barrels - when exiting the pops going into the right orbit lane, I DID see the immediate DWARF target light up for the shot as mentioned, but when that is not "qualified" (however that happens), instead the captive ball indicator light lights up blue and with the upper right flipper if you hit the captive ball right away to go up and hit the captive ball target, it is 4000 points. I have seen this several times ... not sure if there is a different qualifier for that.

Using version 1.95P - (beta)

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I couldn't find this in your rulesheet, but something you can add if it's not in there someplace ... might be related here
Super Jets / Kicking Over Barrels - when exiting the pops going into the right orbit lane, I DID see the immediate DWARF target light up for the shot as mentioned, but when that is not "qualified" (however that happens), instead the captive ball indicator light lights up blue and with the upper right flipper if you hit the captive ball right away to go up and hit the captive ball target, it is 4000 points. I have seen this several times ... not sure if there is a different qualifier for that.
Using version 1.95P - (beta)

No, the lit captive ball from pops adds a "kick-back" and they (the kick-backs) can be stacked.

#155 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

No, the lit captive ball from pops adds a "kick-back" and they (the kick-backs) can be stacked.

Ok ... the floating 4000 points that appears as soon as I hit the captive ball in that situation must be from something else. It has been repeatable, but I'll watch to see if that 4000 points does not appear sometime. It isn't during a multi-ball when I notice this.

#156 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Ok ... the floating 4000 points that appears as soon as I hit the captive ball in that situation must be from something else. It has been repeatable, but I'll watch to see if that 4000 points does not appear sometime. It isn't during a multi-ball when I notice this.

Well, I suppose you may get 4000 points too, but the kickback is for sure...

1 week later
#157 7 years ago

On skill shot, I hit all of the L-O-C-K rollovers and 21,000 points floated on the screen labeled as the skill shot bonus ...

#158 7 years ago

Still no time frame on update? Also, a woz update is really happening? Jjp sure does a great job finishing off their machines.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Still no time frame on update? Also, a woz update is really happening? Jjp sure does a great job finishing off their machines.

Other than the beta? No, no time frame for an official release. Yes, a WOZ update is happening but it's not really rule changes. We'll get things like "reserve ball play" and "floating scores" added. And yes, JJP is doing a great job finishing their games (just wish Hobbit code progress was faster at this point).

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

(just wish Hobbit code progress was faster at this point).

Agreed. Feels like a final wizard mode is missing along with a few more call outs possibly. I'm sure Hobbit has taken a backseat to hobbit mostly in the coding Dept.

#161 7 years ago

Looking forward to a big Hobbit update that will hopefully expand on existing gameplay. I think the following items would really help make the game a masterpiece.

1. Rewards for beating sets of modes. Example, mode / reward unlock for beating 5 modes, 10 modes, 15 modes, etc.
2. More Smaug and Gandalf callouts
3. Ability to turn off stacking of Beast Multiball and Feast Frenzy
4. Making Feast Frenzy and Beast Multiball for objective based
5. Super wizard mode for beating everything

Also, where are the callouts or mode based on the scene below? This would be perfect for a "Thief Multiball" mode for saying beating 10 or so of the book modes.

2 months later
#162 6 years ago

Still learning the game and just need to say that this is the best graphic ever. Thank you for that.

IMG_9414 (resized).PNGIMG_9414 (resized).PNG

#163 6 years ago

hobbit code is now the new kiss code! ;(

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

hobbit code is now the new kiss code! ;(

What?! Did you see that several beta releases have been put out since 1.9 and that Keith just said that 2.0 is now in final testing? There has been probably 6 or more code updates released for The Hobbit over the past 12 months versus 0 for KISS...that isn't the same.

#165 6 years ago

I have been on the fence about selling my Hobbit since I got it, but the truth is, I cannot stop playing it. I adjusted all the settings to hard and still have not beaten Smaug or made it past Into the Fire. The game is beautiful and the sound is so immersive. Keith is a genius and I cannot wait until the code is complete. I like that it plays differently than my other games. Truthfully this game would have been a home run if they had tweaked the layout and made the third flipper a Kill Smaug ramp shot. That being said, the game offers so much that is no immediately apparent on the first few plays. The skill shots alone blow away other games! When is the last time you truly tried to get a skill shot??? It's one of my favorite features on the Hobbit! The modes are great, but as many have stated, there needs to be a reason to play and win them. The Hobbit is a true home use game that cannot be fully appreciated until you lock yourself in the basement alone with it. Keep up the work JJP team, I was one of your #1 bashers, but after buying both WOZ and Hobbit, the quality of you games in graphics, build and code has won me over. I now consider myself a JJP and Stern fan boy! I cannot wait to play, "Dial my Grandmother!"

#166 6 years ago

All well said. Felt the same way about The Hobbit initially. Loved the artwork but game play looked boring. Purchased WOZ in May and I was so taken with JPP quality and innovation that I bought The Hobbit last month. Can't stop playing it. I think you are right – guys that don't appreciate it, just don't know it. It is genius and I am so freaking glad to have it in my collection!

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Still learning the game and just need to say that this is the best graphic ever. Thank you for that.

Thanks! I had to watch a ton of videos with pause, rewind, pause, etc for a long time to work out those details! (But it was like a fun puzzle.)

Planning to update the rulesheet again when another formal code release is put out... For all of the deeper gameplay things I'll definitely need people to share their findings and ideally have a few video streams to watch as I don't have a machine I can open up and experiment with myself.

#168 6 years ago

I go back to Hobbit after playing other games for a while. It is seriously a fun game. You really need the mindset of trying to reach all the wizard modes and killing smaug to truly enjoy it. I can't wait for the update. I've been to all 3 wizard modes, but still haven't killed smaug. It's still an amazing game that gets much unwarranted hate. Love jjp games.

#169 6 years ago

Is there a way to flip the mode back to the one that was previously available. For example if the one ring is lit and you hit the last dwarf drop by accident and the mode changes.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

I don't have a machine I can open up and experiment with myself.

Yes you do.

LTG : )

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

Is there a way to flip the mode back to the one that was previously available. For example if the one ring is lit and you hit the last dwarf drop by accident and the mode changes.

Yes. If you hit the left ramp, you can cycle through the lit modes forward or backwards with the flipper buttons. It's imperative to pick and play the right modes and not waste easier ones if you already have the rune collected for modes.

Edit: you can quickly cycle through the modes until the inlane or another switch is hit.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes. If you hit the left ramp, you can cycle through the lit modes forward or backwards with the flipper buttons. It's imperative to pick and play the right modes and not waste easier ones if you already have the rune collected for modes.
Edit: you can quickly cycle through the modes until the inlane or another switch is hit.

So as the ball goes up the ramp you use the left or right flipper?

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

So as the ball goes up the ramp you use the left or right flipper?

Yes, while it's traveling on the ramp (and wireform) use the left or right flipper depending on which direction you want to cycle.

#174 6 years ago

Thanks! I just tried a game and saw for myself. Now I'll have to look up the best order of modes to play.

#175 6 years ago

Have had the game two months and I finally figured out feeder modes, thanks to the help of this forum. The worksheets, videos, and discussions are invaluable.

A few questions:

1. What determines which feeder modes are assigned to which modes? Does it have to do with the sequence of the movie? They seem random but I'm sure they're not.

2. Map scoring is cool, but how do you know if the mode you are playing is past that point on the map? Do you really have to know the movie that well?

3. Any chance you guys think the next revision will include a status update when holding a flipper button? This is the only game I have that doesn't have one. Would especially love to know what I scored in each mode since it flashes up then down so very quickly. (!!!)

4. With such a complicated game, why doesn't JJP put out an in-depth set of rules? I'm sure Keith and his team spend an extraordinary amount of time designing and engineering the software – and without this in-depth discussion, I would've never figured out the complexity of it all. If they've already got it figured out, why not share it with us?

Thanks!

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from lschmidlin:

Have had the game two months and I finally figured out feeder modes, thanks to the help of this forum. The worksheets, videos, and discussions are invaluable.
A few questions:
1. What determines which feeder modes are assigned to which modes? Does it have to do with the sequence of the movie? They seem random but I'm sure they're not.
2. Map scoring is cool, but how do you know if the mode you are playing is past that point on the map? Do you really have to know the movie that well?
3. Any chance you guys think the next revision will include a status update when holding a flipper button? This is the only game I have that doesn't have one. Would especially love to know what I scored in each mode since it flashes up then down so very quickly. (!!!)
4. With such a complicated game, why doesn't JJP put out an in-depth set of rules? I'm sure Keith and his team spend an extraordinary amount of time designing and engineering the software – and without this in-depth discussion, I would've never figured out the complexity of it all. If they've already got it figured out, why not share it with us?
Thanks!

1) Sequence of the movies.
2) yes, you pretty much have to know the movies.
3) Only Keith knows if that is coming.
4) Basically, because it is fun to figure stuff out by playing.

#177 6 years ago

Don't think they will do a status screen. They where pretty proud to have it all on one screen without having to click through. I don't think any pin gives you mode scores on finished modes in the status screen...

#178 6 years ago

I also don't think they will do a status screen. The overall progression is much simpler than WOZ, its basically collect the runes to light an arkenstone mode and each rune's progress is there on the dashboard. In WOZ it has the sub-progress for each element so the player really needs that flow map thing.

#179 6 years ago

Really don't need status reports as the entire LCD says it all.

9 months later
#180 6 years ago

Any plans for an update on the rulesheet to reflect the changes from 1.90 to 2.01 ???

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from ikrananka:

Any plans for an update on the rulesheet to reflect the changes from 1.90 to 2.01 ???

I'd be happy to update it if someone provides the information or streams the content so I can watch and take notes.

Alternately, I can provide the word document and someone else could take it over.

The sad fact is that I don't own the machine and my interest in playing it at $1/play isn't as high as it used to be.

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

The sad fact is that I don't own the machine and my interest in playing it at $1/play isn't as high as it used to be.

You can play mine for free, glass off. If it will help.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can play mine for free, glass off. If it will help.

Thank you! Forgot to mention it's also a function of free time
Hence the lack of updates to Hobbit and Dialed In Rulesheets.

I'm starting to like the functionality of the wiki (multi-user updatable) rulesheets that they have on tiltforums better... but I really wish you could make that look better (which was one of my goals besides just having an informative rulesheet).

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

I'd be happy to update it if someone provides the information or streams the content so I can watch and take notes.
Alternately, I can provide the word document and someone else could take it over.

Oh well, I totally understand. Regardless, many thanks for all of your efforts to date and hopefully someone will be able to pick this up in the future.

3 months later
#185 5 years ago

There doesn’t seem to be any rulesheet with the new code update. Somebody let Scott come over and play so he can update his fabulous document!

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Stream of #hobbit There and Back Again.

#

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Somebody let Scott come over and play so he can update his fabulous document!

He's always welcome to use my game. He does have to travel some to get here, and has a family. So easier said than done.

1 year later
#188 4 years ago

If someone wants to take this over I'd be happy to provide the Microsoft Word document that I had going for this. Between that, tilt forums (http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360) and the video above I'm certain this could use an update.

FYI: I doubt I'll get back to updating this one again.

1 month later
#189 3 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

If someone wants to take this over I'd be happy to provide the Microsoft Word document that I had going for this. Between that, tilt forums (http://tiltforums.com/t/hobbit-pinball-rulesheet/1360) and the video above I'm certain this could use an update.
FYI: I doubt I'll get back to updating this one again.

tiesmasc -- Between kjlors & myself I'd like to take a cut at updating the rulesheet to reflect v3.10 and the gaps that are in the Wizard Modes. We have most of it documented now and just need to get a Word version of your doc to update, as I attempted to edit from the PDF and it was too difficult to reformat. If you can send it over to me, I'll take a cut at it and post it back for the group.

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

tiesmasc -- Between kjlors & myself I'd like to take a cut at updating the rulesheet to reflect v3.10 and the gaps that are in the Wizard Modes. We have most of it documented now and just need to get a Word version of your doc to update, as I attempted to edit from the PDF and it was too difficult to reformat. If you can send it over to me, I'll take a cut at it and post it back for the group.

I don't even have the machine any more and I'd love to read through a detailed rule "book". Especially like to see the "scene paths" and how it affects scoring. Monumental task for sure.

#191 3 years ago

I have nothing to do with the file, but I converted it to docx from pdf and it looks fine. If you want that file shoot me a pm.

#192 3 years ago

I’m eager to read it through as well

#193 3 years ago

bmlors OchoFosho kjlors and anyone else...

You can download the v0.8 (last published) and v0.9 (last draft) versions here.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AOsH62kou-2AviN0QzHNzp4aft10ahWN?usp=sharing

If you update please post to this thread so others can access it.

Also, if you haven't looked on TiltForums they likely have a more up to date wiki version also.

Thanks to everyone/anyone that has helped in the past and who will help in the future.

Scott

1 month later
#194 3 years ago

After some quality time with the glass off, we have updated the Hobbit Rulesheet to be complete with the latest v3.10 code. Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8A56XYts9n-qZBQUL4VW4c91AIzoUmk/view?usp=sharing

Feel free to send me any suggestions/corrections.

Ben

cc tiesmasc

#195 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

After some quality time with the glass off, we have updated the Hobbit Rulesheet to be complete with the latest v3.10 code. Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8A56XYts9n-qZBQUL4VW4c91AIzoUmk/view?usp=sharing
Ben
cc tiesmasc

What does it mean when the ring-button turns blue? A super-jackpot is available?

#196 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

What does it mean when the ring-button turns blue? A super-jackpot is available?

During Smaug multi-ball if you also have Beast Frenzy going, when you get to Super Jackpot for Beast Frenzy the ring button will turn blue. If you hit the button, that will end Beast Frenzy. This makes it immensely easier to hit the Smaug "kill shot" since you don't have beasts popping up all over the place.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

Ben
cc tiesmasc

Thank you for taking the time to do this!

#198 3 years ago

Great job updating! Thank you!

I also updated the first post in this thread to link to your post with the link.

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from bmlors:

Ben
cc tiesmasc

Much appreciated for the effort here! This is a great update. Very hard to parse some of this out live with several balls flying around the playfield.

It will definitely help me go get a new personal best.

2B02A6CB-5C07-4747-94F4-9075B21E120B (resized).jpeg2B02A6CB-5C07-4747-94F4-9075B21E120B (resized).jpeg
#200 3 years ago

Great work! I can’t wait to read this! So much in this pin I can’t wrap my head around it during the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/4?hl=ochofosho and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.