hobbit (resized).png
IMG_5144 (resized).JPG
Hobbit Rulesheet v0.8.pdf (PDF preview)
hobbit_sankey2 (resized).png
FeederMap-Alt (resized).png
FeederMap (resized).png
hobbit_sankey_fixed (resized).png
EOB (resized).png
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.6small.pdf (PDF preview)
13839694_1236657023033748_1917523963_o_(resized).jpg
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.5(300dpi).pdf (PDF preview)
Hobbit_Rulesheet_v0.2.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Koops - awesome job pulling out all of those feeder modes!!! Thanks for doing that.
I still don't know the modes well (i.e. where they are on the grid, what they are, etc.)

I will try and make up these also, i want it for my own reference also

#102 7 years ago

Battle of 5 Armies is pretty bare bones at the moment...no way software is "complete". There is no mini display (it's blank), not much sound, callouts, or music, and instructions are lacking. It's "color" is pale green and you have to drop the ELF and DWARF targets for a while, then the targets slowly cycle and you continue to hit them, then it switches to beast hits...then I drained.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Can anyone confirm what the bonus x shot is?
I've had the bonus up as high as 18x (400+ thousand) I feel like it is when the ball goes in the pops, the captive ball briefly turns blue to hit with the upper flipper.

Nope...the blue captive ball after the ball is in the pops is to relight the kickback. You can stack kickback lights too.

#104 7 years ago

I'm not totally sold on this visualisation. You can see the dependencies but I don't like the thickness of the lines, some of the text overlaps so its hard to tell what line is what mode (ie. mirkwood looks like flies and spiders). I'll see if I can make something clearer but it's a decent start.

hobbit_sankey_fixed (resized).pnghobbit_sankey_fixed (resized).png

I've had a few mins to digest this.

The way to read this is left side is least dependencies, right is most dependencies.

So best method is playing from left to right. Simple

There are a few key modes through out that feed into more modes that others.

Examples. roast mutton. the one ring. mirkwood.

Maybe I can manipulate the data and have the lines cumulatively weighted.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Battle of 5 Armies is pretty bare bones at the moment...no way software is "complete". There is no mini display (it's blank), not much sound, callouts, or music, and instructions are lacking. It's "color" is pale green and you have to drop the ELF and DWARF targets for a while, then the targets slowly cycle and you continue to hit them, then it switches to beast hits...then I drained.

I'm sure Keith will be expanding on it (like he did with the others) as well as eventually adding a super wizard mode to rule all wizard modes

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I'm not totally sold on this visualisation. You can see the dependencies but I don't like the thickness of the lines, some of the text overlaps so its hard to tell what line is what mode (ie. mirkwood looks like flies and spiders). I'll see if I can make something clearer but it's a decent start.

I've had a few mins to digest this.
The way to read this is left side is least dependencies, right is most dependencies.
So best method is playing from left to right. Simple
There are a few key modes through out that feed into more modes that others.
Examples. roast mutton. the one ring. mirkwood.
Maybe I can manipulate the data and have the lines cumulatively weighted.

I think if you spaced everything vertically more and thinned out the "lines" it would help a lot, but fantastic work man!!!!

#107 7 years ago

For reference here is the 4k video of all modes and feeders.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

I'll see if I can make something clearer but it's a decent start.

I think it is a great start and your ideas along with some of the above will likely result in a great graphic.

I was also curious as to the dependencies... but from a perspective of what is the optimal order to play through the modes... from that perspective this "simpler" (but missing some of the critical detail) graphic was created... and it resulted in a nice simple to remember summary as well... basically play the modes in order by column top to bottom starting at the left...

FeederMap (resized).pngFeederMap (resized).png

or this alternate version which keeps the alphabet in order left to right
FeederMap-Alt (resized).pngFeederMap-Alt (resized).png

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nope...the blue captive ball after the ball is in the pops is to relight the kickback. You can stack kickback lights too.

Wow, now that is a cool concept. Now if only I could figure out what does the bonus x, I had 18x which was pretty sweet.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

and it resulted in a nice simple to remember summary as well... basically play the modes in order by column top to bottom starting at the left...

Excellent.

I tried to visualize it again. Probably as good as I can do. I think your "map" style is probably easier to read.

Here is mine.

The way you read it is that the longer the vertical stack the more potential benefit it has. If I could sort based on height (which the software doesn't allow) it should show the optimal path(s). I think a hive map might be better suited for this data but the software doesn't have that either :\

hobbit sankey 2hobbit sankey 2

The other thing that affects the order that you can do it in is the mode qualifiers. At any particular time only certain modes are available to be flipped to via the book ramp.

#111 7 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you Tiesmascand everyone else who contributed to this guide! I've been bitten big time by The Hobbit bug, and this guide has been my bible.

Top notch stuff!

#112 7 years ago

Updated... (with some errors I'm sure) but wanted to get this out there so people can suggest corrections, additions, improvements, etc.

Hobbit Rulesheet v0.8.pdfHobbit Rulesheet v0.8.pdf

#113 7 years ago

on cover page row 2 - update version from 0.8 to 1.90

#114 7 years ago

Battle of Five Armies was different than described for me. See my post above...

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

on cover page row 2 - update version from 0.8 to 1.90

Thanks. That is to note the revision of the rulesheet (not the hobbit code). I'll make that more obvious in next update or come up with a change that does both things... Like 1.90v01

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Battle of Five Armies was different than described for me. See my post above...

Thanks. I think it matches what I saw on video... I grabbed instructions for # of beast to kill from screen (lower right) since book was blank. And during stage 1 the elf and dwarf were green and collecting increased multiplier. Then for stage 2 man was Green and completing increased multiplier. I'll put a link up later... But it was Troz's video (https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball/v/96560897?t=01h26m56s)... And I need to find more to watch

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Thanks. I think it matches what I saw on video... I grabbed instructions for # of beast to kill from screen (lower right) since book was blank. And during stage 1 the elf and dwarf were green and collecting increased multiplier. Then for stage 2 man was Green and completing increased multiplier. I'll put a link up later... But it was Koops video... And I need to find more to watch

Maybe I just REALLY increased my multiplier when I played then...LOL. They did change up and start cycling drops after a while like I advanced to another stage. Hmmm, I admit I didn't really read the screen so much. I just shot the lit targets.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Updated... (with some errors I'm sure) but wanted to get this out there so people can suggest corrections, additions, improvements, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to do this. These rulesheets are perfect airplane reading material.

#119 7 years ago

Note: I updated post 116 with the video link to Troz playing Battle of the Five Armies... link is also here: https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball/v/96560897?t=01h26m56s

#120 7 years ago

I just had an awesome game and a new G.C. Of 5,125,899. What a rush! Killed Smaug twice, and got through all mini wizards and then back "Into The Fire" a second time.
Anyway here are a couple of updates I caught from "Battle of 5 Armies"

Stage 1 : Bash 8 beasts then shoot the Ork for the super jackpot.
Stage 2: Bash 20 beasts and then shoot the Ork for the super jackpot
Stage 3:
- Shoot the "D" target in "Dwarf", then hit Thorin 5 times.
- Shoot the "W" target and then hit Thorin 4 times.
- Shoot the "A" target and then hit Thorin 3 times.
- Shoot the "R" target and then hit Thorin 2 times.
- Shoot the "F" target and then . . .
- Drain to one ball . . .end of mode. Maybe next time I'll get further and fill you in.

#121 7 years ago

I've been jamming out HARD on The Hobbit at the local (well, 30 miles one way) bowling alley. I'm sorry to be so dense, but... what do you mean by "feeders"? I got to that part on the rulesheet and I'm just lost now. Please to have pity on me and explain.

#122 7 years ago

not bad for a machine on route with half of the pop ups not working, eh?

IMG_5144 (resized).JPGIMG_5144 (resized).JPG

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

I've been jamming out HARD on The Hobbit at the local (well, 30 miles one way) bowling alley. I'm sorry to be so dense, but... what do you mean by "feeders"? I got to that part on the rulesheet and I'm just lost now. Please to have pity on me and explain.

Don't worry... feeders are very new (and likely need some improved terminology). The simple explanation is that playing modes in a specific order will give you some scoring advantages. Thus you would want to play the "feeder" modes prior to the modes they "feed" into.

Said another way, your score within a mode has additional (end of ball bonus) score potential based upon how well you played prior modes that are associated with it.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I just had an awesome game and a new G.C. Of 5,125,899. What a rush! Killed Smaug twice, and got through all mini wizards and then back "Into The Fire" a second time.
Anyway here are a couple of updates I caught from "Battle of 5 Armies"
Stage 1 : Bash 8 beasts then shoot the Ork for the super jackpot.
Stage 2: Bash 20 beasts and then shoot the Ork for the super jackpot
Stage 3:
- Shoot the "D" target in "Dwarf", then hit Thorin 5 times.
- Shoot the "W" target and then hit Thorin 4 times.
- Shoot the "A" target and then hit Thorin 3 times.
- Shoot the "R" target and then hit Thorin 2 times.
- Shoot the "F" target and then . . .
- Drain to one ball . . .end of mode. Maybe next time I'll get further and fill you in.

I believe you only have to hit thorin once between dwarf hits.
Anyways after that sequence you have to hit 3p beasts. So many.....

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

For the 3 pop-up beasts... is super jackpot awarded after the 3rd hit?

#126 7 years ago

I don't even know what mode you kill Smaug in. Can anyone help me out? Haven't had much time to play my Hobbit yet. My high score is under 1 million!

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I don't even know what mode you kill Smaug in. Can anyone help me out? Haven't had much time to play my Hobbit yet. My high score is under 1 million!

During Smaug multiball

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

For the 3 pop-up beasts... is super jackpot awarded after the 3rd hit?

I think he meant 30, not 3p.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I think he meant 30, not 3p.

Yikes... that makes more sense but that is insane.

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Nope. Confirmed last night: it's 20 beast hits and 5, 4, 3, etc Thorin hits as posted.

1 week later
#131 7 years ago

Picking up a Hobbit this weekend.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

Picking up a Hobbit this weekend.

You're so in for a treat, dude!

#133 7 years ago

Anyone want to take the glass off and record full completions of barrel escape and battle of the five armies wizard modes... (screen shots of book and lower right corner of main screen) so I can see all the instructions ... Otherwise it could be years before we figure out all the steps in each wizard mode.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Anyone want to take the glass off and record full completions of barrel escape and battle of the five armies wizard modes... (screen shots of book and lower right corner of main screen) so I can see all the instructions ... Otherwise it could be years before we figure out all the steps in each wizard mode.

The book is blacked out currently in 5 Armies...

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

*sigh* i'll do it if I remember

#136 7 years ago

1.94 software adds a little bit, fixes sound popping and other things, adds missed kickback compensation settings.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

*sigh* i'll do it if I remember

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

1.94 software adds a little bit, fixes sound popping and other things, adds missed kickback compensation settings.

When are we seeing that?

3 weeks later
#139 7 years ago

So, this is something I don't understand. Don't think the ruleset explains it.

When the ring award is 'Light Thorin'
what does it actually do?

Thorin is the captive ball? And the captive ball is always available to be hit? So what does it mean when its lit? does that mean it skips the hits so that next hit is a multiple of 5 for an award?

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So, this is something I don't understand. Don't think the ruleset explains it.
When the ring award is 'Light Thorin'
what does it actually do?
Thorin is the captive ball? And the captive ball is always available to be hit? So what does it mean when its lit? does that mean it skips the hits so that next hit is a multiple of 5 for an award?

Good question and I don't know the answer...
Another option is it could light thorin to collect a (non-collected) dwarf...

#141 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Good question and I don't know the answer...
Another option is it could light thorin to collect a (non-collected) dwarf...

I just took the glass off to check. You are correct.. It spots a non collected dwarf When it's lite.

1 month later
#142 7 years ago

ahem <1 month later> ... sorry but i never got around to it.

I do have a consolidation prize. I can now take native screen captures

hobbit (resized).pnghobbit (resized).png

You'll notice the mini-lcd inverted next to it so I can grab images from that also!

proof : http://imgur.com/a/bGagC

edit: is the rule file available for editing anywhere ie? google doc's?

I can go through it and update screenshots/add new ones for all modes.

#143 7 years ago

Show off

#144 7 years ago

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot for this rulesheet.
I study it now more intense and have a question.
There are 31 Modes but the only smart strategy seems to be to play it from left to right (A to 5) to get most points.
The wizzard modes are independend from each other an dont affect the modes.

This means to me at the end that there are only one strategy.
I cannot get benefit with different strategys where I can profit.

Im right or did I overlooked something?

Thanks for advise
Flash

#145 7 years ago

Right now with the new code this is my current strategy. I use the postpone lock feature with the ring button as part of my strategy. I'll postpone locks until I have finished Beast Frenzy and usually complete my trip to Erebor before I challenge Smaug. Then during Smaug multi ball I'll usually complete a mode or 3 and of course Feast Frenzy starts as well. Then by the time I'm back to one ball, Into the Fire will be ready to start. Then it's rinse, repeat through Barrell Escape and then Battle of Five Armies. dsuring all play I also focus on starting and playing any mode that is offered. No particular order. They will eventually all be available if your game is long enough.

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from FlashGordon:

Hi Guys,
There are 31 Modes but the only smart strategy seems to be to play it from left to right (A to 5) to get most points.
The wizzard modes are independend from each other an dont affect the modes.
This means to me at the end that there are only one strategy.
I cannot get benefit with different strategys where I can profit.
Im right or did I overlooked something?

In theory playing through modes left to right will give you better points... however, because of mode qualification requirements this is quite an undertaking and my guess is that unless you are a tier one player you'll score higher forgetting about that strategy and just playing through whatever is available (but perhaps picking the leftmost option of those that are available)...

That said, this game has so many concurrent things that can go on... that I estimate opportunities for strategy are not so simple... deciding when to include book multiballs or not... to avoid beast multiballs or not... what modes to bring into multiballs... and so much more that require real time decisions and understanding of the rules and quick decisions.

I'd definitely not call this simple.

3 weeks later
#147 7 years ago

The link to the rule flowchart on the JJP website on page 9 no longer works ... I don't see it on the JJP site anymore. But you do have that as your last page. Maybe send the hyperlink to your last page.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The link to the rule flowchart on the JJP website on page 9 no longer works ... I don't see it on the JJP site anymore. But you do have that as your last page. Maybe send the hyperlink to your last page.

Thanks, will do.

#149 7 years ago

Any rumors of another update coming soon? Feels like a final arkenstone mode is still missing

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Any rumors of another update coming soon? Feels like a final arkenstone mode is still missing

Rumors ... A new official release "Soon" ... they were trying to come up with a Ubuntu operating system solution for the sound popping issue if the pin is left on for a long time. They may do a work-a-round solution for now. There are some other updates too from 1.9 but did not hear about any final arkenstone mode.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 239 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.