• Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7944 (resized).JPG
Lineup (resized).jpg
20170721_140247 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Karl DeAngelo commented that he couldn't quite put his finger on why TH didn't end up being a keeper for him.

It might be because he crushed the game by finishing every mode and wizard mode. Nothing more for him to see.
The rest of us will most likely never do what he did.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from iepinball:

Nope, I never completed Battle of Five Armies nor played all 31 modes in a single game. After my first day with the game I knew I had to set it up more difficult than factory to keep it fresh as 45+ minute games on it were going to wear thin, otherwise I think I may have sold it within weeks.
As ironic as this is (I'll get to it later) the bit that's missing for me is a sense of accomplishment. Yes, I get a piece of the Arkenstone when I complete a mode but it doesn't mean enough. Perhaps a bonus when I complete a second mode before "consuming" that inital piece on an Arkenstone mode? Perhaps additional scoring during the next Arkenstone mode? Perhaps increased mode scores based on number of completed modes before cashing in the Arkenstone mode? Scoring is very linear until you get to the later Arkenstone modes, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it becomes a grind. Yes, you can get large points grinding away at the spinner or building up Feast Frenzy values, and more, but I'm assuming there's more in store for scoring as there's a "Super-X" insert instead of a "2x Playfield" insert. Leads me to believe Keith had more originally planned there.
The one thing that kept me coming back to play was reaching Battle of Five Armies and playing through the 3rd stage in that. EASILY my favorite bit in the entire game. For whatever reason the music and speech work SO DAMN WELL during that mode, and the objective feels so different from anything else in the game. After that round though it's back to slaughtering beasts, which while very much thematically correct, unfortunately wears thin by that point.
Back to the ironic part [don't hate me Keith]...I recall reading that Keith was going to build Hobbit into a proper mode game after the lackluster initial release of Stern's Star Trek, and I'm paraphrasing here, to "show Stern how to properly build a game with a lot of modes" or something along those lines [wish I could reference this right now]. I think most people would agree that the medals system added a sense-of-accomplishment into Star Trek, and it's what's missing here now. I know it's been said over and over, but there's little-to-no urgency to completing the modes, and only a slight sense of accomplishment when a mode is completed. The feeder points / mode bonuses are not enough IMO.
All that said, I do still enjoy the game, and my son is mad at me for selling it. The theme integration is by far the best around. BY FAR. Nothing else compares. I'll still play it when I see it out and about, and hope someone is brave enough to use it in a large tournament some day. It CAN be made to play extremely difficult as I found while experimenting with various outlane configurations.

Well I watched your last TH video and one thing is for sure, you crushed "that" game. I thought you played all the modes and did them in order. Anyway, that was an amazing game and learned quite a few things.

#159 6 years ago

I'm keeping mine because it's too heavy to move.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.50
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hardware
Pinball Haven

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rebooted-for-objective-consideration?tu=Vyzer2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.