• Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7944 (resized).JPG
Lineup (resized).jpg
20170721_140247 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

LOTR is WAY better than Hobbit.

I'd have to agree with this, and I own Hobbit but not LOTR. I never really know what is going on in the Hobbit either. I know the general things that trigger the main objectives (rollovers for locks, 5 different objectives for the ruins to start mini-wizards, etc), but at any given moment in time I don't really understand what's happening. For example, I've had multiballs that last 5-10 minutes with new balls continually getting relaunched when I drain one or more. I had one go on so long I thought something was broken (maybe it was). I've had multiballs go on for quite a while with only one ball left. I assumed a ball was stuck somewhere, but once I drained, the ball was over.

For all the lights and the LCD, it is FAR, FAR, FAR inferior to LOTR at drawing you in, letting you know what to do, and making you feel part of the adventure. For example, there is nothing in TH that mimics the feel of the movie as much as Balrog multiball in LOTR. Shoot the ring to get someone across the bridge, hit Balrog to distract him / get him out of the way, so you can shoot the ring to get someone else across. It feels like the movie.

Aside from that, there just aren't any satisfying shoots in TH. I feel like I'm flailing more than anything. While some of the LOTR shots are clunky, for sure, they all feel different and connected to something tangible. None of the shots in TH feel any different from each other. The ramps feel the same. Hitting the left-most drop target doesn't feel any different than hitting the one next to it or the one 2-3 down from it.

I want to like the Hobbit, but I just don't get into it. Some of the epic multiballs can be fun, so I'm not saying I hate it, but with other upcoming things I want, Hobbit it at the top of my possible sell list due to the low obsession-to-value ratio.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You have lots of other pinball machines - so I don't know why you would have difficulty playing the hobbit. It seems very simple to me after you get just a few games on it. It is heavy in multiballs, but they are pretty easy to grasp how they start. Smaug MB, beast MB, and mode multiballs if you lock any.
If anything I have found with TH either you love it or hate it I guess. Not much grey area...

Well, I don't really love it or hate it. I do feel it lacks sorely from enough callouts. I have not played 2.0 yet, but it seems to rely too much on the book and the LCD, so when stuff happens I don't know why. And things like the multiballs going on forever just doesn't make sense. I can't really describe it, but I just feel on the outside with this game, whereas other games seem to draw me into the middle of them.

#225 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

There is at least a few hundred...I'd say closer to 500 callouts.
Rudy has almost no callouts. Are you serious?

I'm sure this was a reference to how Rudy is always talking and addressing you as the player. I remember the earlier assumptions that Smaug was going to taunt the player. Rudy doesn't have a ton of quotes, but he has more than Smaug. Hell, he probably has about as many nicknames for the players as Smaug has actual quotes. Regardless of the specific numbers, I find it hard to argue that Smaug has always been grossly underutilized (not even counting the early over-promises of his interactions with the ball).

#227 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Smaug yaps at you non-stop during smaug MB. Sure, sometimes I wish he was talking more during regular play - but I see why they made the creative decision to save it. Whenever a guest is playing and they get that 2nd lock where he speaks - they're always surprised and excited when it happens.

Isn't he more reciting lines from the movie? I've never really felt like he was addressing "me" and certainly not in the Rudy-esque way people originally hoped.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rebooted-for-objective-consideration?tu=Cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.