Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

I recently bought the hobbit and only realized tonight that I have not seen the goblin pop up.

I went into the settings and the goblin and warg was in red stating “malfunction”. Any ideas how to fix this?

#2 4 years ago

Check connections under those two mechs, then the thinner wires that go to connectors mine were chopped kinda thin by mechs going up and down.

#3 4 years ago

At the bottom of the assembly is a nut, with a rubber stopper on a threaded rod. If the character pops up and down smoothly, raise the stopper up a little so the plunger rides higher in the coil.

If it doesn't move up and down smoothly, then figure out if it's dragging in the hole in the playfield. Or if the mech itself needs adjusting - which is remove from the game, three connectors and 5 screws. And then loosen, tweak, tighten, learn new curse words to get it lined up so it pops up and down smoothly.

LTG : )

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the replies...

The Goblin is working again, after moving it manually a few times, I guess it got stuck. The Warg needs a new spring for the coil, and the white and green wires going into the mech are completely cut.

#5 4 years ago

I had two of my pop-ups on Hobbit cut wires underneath them very early in my ownership of the game (it was NIB). It is a common problem with the pin. JJP support seemed unaware of this at first as I spent hours on the phone with them looking at circuit boards and multiple other connectors to try to determine why my "L" wasn't lighting up and one of my pop-ups wasn't working. Both were wires cut by the pop-up mechs. Hopefully they are more aware of this problem now as that has been a couple years.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I had two of my pop-ups on Hobbit cut wires underneath them very early in my ownership of the game (it was NIB). It is a common problem with the pin. JJP support seemed unaware of this at first as I spent hours on the phone with them looking at circuit boards and multiple other connectors to try to determine why my "L" wasn't lighting up and one of my pop-ups wasn't working. Both were wires cut by the pop-up mechs. Hopefully they are more aware of this problem now as that has been a couple years.

That sucks, you would think they would have a better solution.

I noticed the zip tie that holds the wire to the side of the mech broke, and I assume the wire was rubbing against the metal part. Unfortunately it was cut too short and I am not able to splice it. I'll have to solder new longer wires onto the mech, and then splice the old connector.

2 years later
#7 1 year ago

Hi guys, I know this post is old but one of my pop up seem to touch the playfield a bit witch someone prevent it from going down smoothly.
Where is the adjustment made?
Thanks

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from skwal:

Where is the adjustment made?

For a start I'd loosen the five screws under the playfield and pull the whole mech back as far as you can and then retighten the screws.

See if that got you enough room.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

For a start I'd loosen the five screws under the playfield and pull the whole mech back as far as you can and then retighten the screws.
See if that got you enough room.

I ve did that it seem to have worked for a bit but now same issue with the popup dragging against the back of the playfield. It s the only one out of the 4
any other sugestion?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from skwal:

any other sugestion?

Nothing easy. Figure out what is dragging. Then remove the whole mech. And fix it.

You'll have to remove the metal flap on top - 2 clips 2 springs. I'd have a magnet near them for when they go ZING.

Under the playfield. A few connectors and 5 screws.

While you have it out and analyze the situation. Before you put it back in the machine be sure it goes up and down smoothly. Plan on tearing hair out and spending a lot of time getting it all back lined up. If you loosen or remove any of the screws around the frame.

I've found a good start is start all the screws - sides and bottom. Then squeeze the whole thing together. Then tighten the screws. Sometimes this works. And other times it loosening and tightening stuff back and forth, until it goes up and down smoothly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-pop-ups?hl=tramd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.