“Which game could own By itself (One game household)?”

• The Hobbit 24 votes
    21%
  • Dialed In! 90 votes
    79%

(114 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Hey

I'm looking for people who own both of these games to give some positives and negatives for each one. Trying to figure out which one I want to get next. Any comments about these would be welcomed. I'm in GA - so we don't have local places to play and get a feel for them, and I would be buying (one or the other) without ever having played it... Trying to get an idea of what I will like based on your responses.

Thanks guys!

#2 5 years ago

I vote Dialed In Hobbit is way too long playing and it has too many multiballs.

#3 5 years ago

I owned Hobbit, and after a VERY short period, it got old really quick. I've never owned Dialed In, but played it several times on location and think its way way way better. Everyone will talk about how beautiful the Hobbit is, and how good they integrated the video. All of that is true. But the game is basically shooting drop targets and its multiball and pop up monster frenzy and not much else, and that gets REALLY old REALLY fast. I was killing Smaug and getting to all 3 wizard modes almost every game. Just not fun. I wouldn't buy it again unless I got it for like $3k.

#4 5 years ago

Bought a Hobbit NIB. Ball times are incredibly long and lack of variety in shots and modes got old. I did sell it before the code got to its current state so I can’t say it didn’t get better.

Dialed In is a Pat Lawlor game and one of his best. Theme isn’t for everyone but it has great shots and is fun to shoot.

#5 5 years ago

I’d go with Dialed in. I like the hobbit, but Dialed In is a much better pin. Unless you are a huge hobbit fan, I’d go with the all around better pin and get DI. Go play both and put some time in and see what you like best

#6 5 years ago

I'm in the minority on Hobbit. It's probably my favorite pin to play. However I played both at Level 257 and choose Hobbit over DI.
I really happy with Hobbit but am considering adding DI. So I didn't vote.

I think the other comments above me are probably much better players than I am so while they got bored with Hobbit I'm far from it.

Also I think Hobbit works with a mix of games (let say ) 5 or more games and not only a few. So my audits show games average slightly over 4 minutes, about 1200 games played and I play at least 85 % of the time. I just love the chaos of the beasts, multilballs, modes and I'm a sucker for drop targets. JJP games are very unique. Good Luck.

#7 5 years ago

I just got a Dialed In so can't comment too much about it yet. I also own a Hobbit and really enjoy the game. The Hobbit offers more mode variety then any other pin out there in my opinion. Keith Johnson created a ruleset for The Hobbit that is designed to make every one of the 31 book modes feel unique. Also, Two Steps from Hell did custom music for every book mode which along with David Thiels audio work make it one of the best sounding pins.

The 4 main multiballs (Smaug multiball and the 3 Arkenstone wizard modes) all have multiple stages to them and like the book modes have unique rules. I've owned a Hobbit for about two years and on default settings I haven't beaten Smaug once and have only seen Into the Fire a few times (now using critics cut preset). Code support has been overall very good for the game according to JJP a big update is being worked on for the game.

#8 5 years ago

I have both pins and dialed in is much better in my opinion, however my friend loves hobbit more. He hasn’t played both enough to understand the rules.

#9 5 years ago

I own both, very different games. Hobbit to me is a much more immersive game, but games can be pretty long and more of a journey, lots of Multibals and can be hard to figure out what to do at times. Dialed in is just a really fun game, lots of variety.

For smaller collections, I’d pick DI. Overall, I think I’d pick DI.

#10 5 years ago

If you decide on either one PM me for pricing.

#11 5 years ago

Have owned both. LOVED Hobbit. It was very fun, and rocks you up and down if you have the shaker. The default settings can be a little frustrating after a while because the pop battles can disrupt your flow. So you adjust it, reduce the frequency and the game is fun again. Killing Smaug is AMAZING. The modes are hard, and the “levels” are at varying levels of
Difficulty. Really great game.

But here’s the thing - DI is better. All around. It had a super long development time, and it shows. Killlllller game, one of the best of all time.

#12 5 years ago

With build monies not being an option, it would be very hard for Balcor to get over on Lawlor.

#13 5 years ago

If you're willing to buy a (gently) used game, you may save a substantial chunk with Hobbit, they seem to be going for $6500-$7k. I haven't looked but would assumed Dialed In is still going for more than that.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

If you're willing to buy a (gently) used game, you may save a substantial chunk with Hobbit, they seem to be going for $6500-$7k. I haven't looked but would assumed Dialed In is still going for more than that.

Quoted from fosaisu:

Yeah, Hobbit is a Crazy value right now. And it sounds like new code will be dropping soon. I think Dialed in may be the better game right now, but I think Hobbit is for sure the better value. If money is an issue at all, I'd really think about a Hobbit.

#15 5 years ago

Hobbit is one of the best looking games ever. Everything else I'd give to DI.

#16 5 years ago

i enjoy DI more than Hobbit. dont own either one, but have multiple friends who do. i lean more towards DI when there. if you havent player either one, maybe go to a show and get time on them. or find a fellow pinsider who has them to go play. maybe offer up a 12 pack for some playing time. i have played every pin i bought before buying one, so i would try to get time on them both. Its like TNA, watching videos and looking at pics of it, i was not impressed at all. after getting to play a half dozen games head to head on one with a friend, i loved it.

#17 5 years ago

I have both and I am also in North Georgia if you are in that area you are welcome to come see both.

Two totally different games. I like both of them but I love Dialed In. I just can’t get enough of it and that is after 4 months. However, my kids and wife seem to like Hobbit more.

#18 5 years ago

Portal_Pinball is in GA and has Dialed In!

#19 5 years ago

They’re both beautiful, but Hobbit is just too long playing. DI has more variety and faster pace.

#20 5 years ago

I have DI - love that game. Well, except for the SIM shot that drives me bonkers. I have space for one more pin and Hobbit is high on the list. Maybe even top spot.

You can’t go wrong with Dialed In, not sure about Hobbit. I think it’s one of those games you really need to own before you can give it a fair shake.

#21 5 years ago

Consensus is clearly for DI, and that's the right call OP.

#22 5 years ago

I have Hobbit and absolutely love it. That said, I haven't played DI but it looks awesome. I actually like the idea of the theme. I would say play both. Hobbit is great and gets pretty intense with a great package of sounds and lights. I can fully understand why some people hate it, but I like it for being different than anything else. We're a huge fan of the movies though so take that into account. DI does seem to have a more varied way of playing which I like. Again try both, and make your own decisions. I'm glad I didn't listen to the Hobbit haters, it's pretty fun once you understand it.

#23 5 years ago

Definitely looks like Dialed In is the favorite... Theme is terrible IMO, lol - but I see a lot of videos showing some outstanding game play. Looks like it would grow on me, as I'm not 100% opposed to the theme.

I'm a huge Hobbit fan and think I might just have to get both.

Looks like I'm going to have to go play them at my new friend's house (Insanity199) first, though!

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

Definitely looks like Dialed In is the favorite... Theme is terrible IMO, lol - but I see a lot of videos showing some outstanding game play. Looks like it would grow on me, as I'm not 100% opposed to the theme.
Looks like I'm going to have to go play them at my new friend's house (Insanity199) first, though!

At first I thought the theme was odd too.....but once you realize it's not a "Phone" game and more of a disaster theme where the phone is integral in the story it makes a lot more sense and is a lot of fun

#25 5 years ago

I have both. Hobbit would get sold first if I had to sell it.

Dialed-In is simply sublime.

#26 5 years ago

Also, if you do try a Hobbit or end up getting one anyways, you have to set it up hard. If it's setup too easy it's a very boring and extremely long playing game. When the game is challenging and average ball times are in the 1.5 minute range it's fantastic!

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

Here's why the Dialed In theme is perfect in my opinion and this is coming from someone who originally thought it was stupid and now just bought one.

1. No license restrictions so there's no complaints about the game lacking certain assets
2. The theme is intergerated perfectly everywhere on the game, from the playfield artwork, toys, cabinet artwork and into the rules
3. The backglass animations are a representation of what is occurring on the playfield, very cool.

Overall I've never seen another pin with as well of an integrated theme as Dialed In.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

Hated the theme too. Played the game and had to have it. The more we played the game and understood the humor/wit, surprisingly the theme grew on us. Definitely recommend trying it before committing to Hobbit.

#29 5 years ago

I've owned both of these machines, and both have pros and cons. The Hobbit is a great game with an even great theme. If setup appropriately its a very fun, and challenging game. Yes there is the potential of long ball times (like LOTR), but not sure why thats a problem. The other big pro is the graphics, sounds, and my kids loved the game. DI is a great game that has great flow, deep rule set, and is a lot of fun. My challenge is I hated the theme, but loved the game.....so to summarize I'm not sure you can really choose one or the other without actually playing the games, and see what fits best for u or your family.

#30 5 years ago

Now having WOZ, Hobbit and Dialed In I'll say this about The Hobbit from an LE feature point of view. I think The Hobbit has the most beautiful and highest quality powder coated armor ever put on a pin from the factory, it's simply stunning. WOZ ECLE is a close second. The powder coated armor on Dialed In LE is nice but is rather generic, with no metallic look to it and does not have as durable of a finish as the power coat on Hobbit (hammered finish) and WOZ.

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Now having WOZ, Hobbit and Dialed In I'll say this about The Hobbit from an LE feature point of view. I think The Hobbit has the most beautiful and highest quality powder coated armor ever put on a pin from the factory, it's simply stunning. WOZ ECLE is a close second. The powder coated armor on Dialed In LE is nice but is rather generic, with no metallic look to it and does not have as durable of a finish as the power coat on Hobbit (hammered finish) and WOZ.

I couldn't agree more about the Hobbit Smaug coated armor...its really amazing....my WOZ RR and DI LE are average at best....

#32 5 years ago

Agree with the armor. Frankly, all jjp machines are gorgeous.

#33 5 years ago

I'm a Hobbit owner. But my family and I chose Hobbit over Dialed In when we played them literally side by side at our local Expo last yeat. Recently I did get to put more time on Dialed In and have come to really enjoy it. You can't go wrong either way, but personally it is Hobbit all the way. Not sure why it gets the hate on here. I think it is bandwagon mentality.

Beautiful game: Hobbit > DI
Light Show: Tie
Toys: Tie (just different types)
Immersive gameplay: Hobbit > DI
Sound: Hobbit > DI (the game score on Hobbit is amazing)
Callouts: I'm giving the edge to Hobbit (movie quotes + Gandalf custom callouts)
Quirky humore: DI > Hobbit (selfie mode, etc...but will it get old?)
Ball diverted in unique ways: Tie (and this is something JJP does so well)

For a movie buff like me, Hobbit won because I feel immersed in the game and feel like I'm in the middle of a chaotic, epic battle. Some ball times are long, but I have a lot of short games as well. Plus, everyone in my family loves it. I couldn't get my kids to give Dialed In a second try at this year's expo. That being said, I totally think if you are going to pay JJP prices, you really need to find a way to play these games. It's a lot of money to spend and be disappointed.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I couldn't agree more about the Hobbit Smaug coated armor...its really amazing

Actually, I prefer the LE armor best. I like the hammered bronze/copper look. I think it accents the game better than the hammered gold. But both are better than the black arrow because it's just...black.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Here's why the Dialed In theme is perfect in my opinion and this is coming from someone who originally thought it was stupid...

This is a good lesson in not being close-minded and a theme whore like the rest of pinside. Hopefully one day more people will learn like you did.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I'm a Hobbit owner. But my family and I chose Hobbit over Dialed In when we played them literally side by side at our local Expo last yeat. Recently I did get to put more time on Dialed In and have come to really enjoy it. You can't go wrong either way, but personally it is Hobbit all the way. Not sure why it gets the hate on here. I think it is bandwagon mentality.
Beautiful game: Hobbit > DI
Light Show: Tie
Toys: Tie (just different types)
Immersive gameplay: Hobbit > DI
Sound: Hobbit > DI (the game score on Hobbit is amazing)
Callouts: I'm giving the edge to Hobbit (movie quotes + Gandalf custom callouts)
Quirky humore: DI > Hobbit (selfie mode, etc...but will it get old?)
Ball diverted in unique ways: Tie (and this is something JJP does so well)
For a movie buff like me, Hobbit won because I feel immersed in the game and feel like I'm in the middle of a chaotic, epic battle. Some ball times are long, but I have a lot of short games as well. Plus, everyone in my family loves it. I couldn't get my kids to give Dialed In a second try at this year's expo. That being said, I totally think if you are going to pay JJP prices, you really need to find a way to play these games. It's a lot of money to spend and be disappointed.

You are killing me. Quirky Humore is the only area that DI bests The Hobbit?
You may be a movie buff but I think you have something for hobbits.
I suppose your avatar should have been the first clue.
The Hobbit gets nothing for free. It has earned every bit of contempt fairly and squarely

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I suppose your avatar should have been the first clue.

Never trust somone's feelings on a game when it's their Avatar.
Unless it's Stern Avatar and they are saying it sucks.

#38 5 years ago

"Why the Hobbit?"

“Saruman believes it is only great power that can hold evil in check, but that is not what I have found. I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.”

Gandalf the Gray in The Hobbit

It's true, I love me some Hobbit!

#39 5 years ago

Dialed In! is far superior to The Hobbit...the best playfield layout we've seen in a decade.

Dialed In actually has the features of a widebody, with the flow and size of a single-body.

The Hobbit has the features of a single-body, with the lack of flow and empty space of a widebody.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Actually, I prefer the LE armor best. I like the hammered bronze/copper look. I think it accents the game better than the hammered gold. But both are better than the black arrow because it's just...black.

My Hobbit Smaug has the hammered bronze/copper armor

#41 5 years ago

Play both and decide - if you're not able to get enough playtime go with DI. I find the people that prefer Hobbit over DI (like me) are in the minority. I've only played a few dozen games on DI - and it is very good too. I think I may prefer WOZ to DI - but again, that's just me. All 3 JJP pins are excellent.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-or-dialed-in?hl=benlogan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.