9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

An interview with Smaug

#2 9 years ago

It's kind of funny. Colbert is such a Tolkien nut he would go along with anything Peter Jackson asked.

#3 9 years ago

Interesting that you can't have a pinball hitting Smaug but they allowed this?

#4 9 years ago

#5 9 years ago

Was blown away by the CGI in that video. Smaug was done so well and was so entertaining in a standup skit, that I have just been MIND FU**ED. Like a hologram, he was there and looked scary, just had to keep reminding myself that he was just a representation. Well, what are you waiting for.... go ahead and watch it? That was 5 minutes of my life I am glad how I spent it.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

YO DAWG, I'M SMAUG, WORD TO YOUR MUTHA {throws claws up}

Wouldn't want to hurt the dragon's dignity by having a toy hit by a ball though.

(Seriously, it was funny and cute, but some of the stuff they had him say was pretty cringeworthy)

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Get out of my head. Yep sort of throws the protective licensee thing out the window when you can have Smaug doing a political piece.

#8 9 years ago

That was one of the best cgi interviews of all time. Smaugs mouth moved perfectly to the words he spoke...very well done. It is amazing that the studio allowed some of what he said, but put restrictions on TH. But then again, we don't know what Smaug can say or not say in the game.
You really got see the real colors in his face...not sure about the all red or somewhat gold smaug in the game....but that was a good representation to match the real colors. Time will tell I guess.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

we don't know what Smaug can say or not say in the game

Right, it would be pretty bizarre if they disallowed pinball-specific call outs after this.

#10 9 years ago

Truly priceless interview.

#11 9 years ago

Could this get any better ?

#12 9 years ago

They wouldn't allow a pinball to hit Smaug? That's idiotic.. I wonder what the rationale was?

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I don't think you should assume the studio had anything to do with that. In fact, the F bomb at the end pretty much confirms it.

When you do comedy about somebody or something (like a movie), as long as you don't do it with malice, the comedy is protected by the first amendment. Colbert is a huge fan. He had his LOTR LE on stage for one of his shows a couple years ago. I saw nothing in that video that reflected badly on the movie. You'd think with them showing the trailer, the studio was involved. Knowing Colbert's fanboy fervor, I don't think the studio was involved at all. That was all Colbert.

#14 9 years ago

If you want to see related pics of Colbert dressed as LOTR characters - http://www.ew.com/ew/static/longform/hobbit/desktop/

#15 9 years ago

Below is a link to the segment where he had his LE on stage. Pin shows up about the 3 minute mark, but the whole bit is hilarious. Nancy Pelosi is the cave troll. lol

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/8c1oeo/the-republican-ring-of-power

#16 9 years ago

How many people do you think it took to bring Smaug (or Dude) to life? Here is a listing ...http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/mfxigz/sign-off---aftermath-of-smaug

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-interview-with-smaug and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.