image_7.jpg
image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_10.jpg
image_9.jpg
image_8.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 8 years ago

Shocking, surprising, spectacular!
Congrats!

#168 8 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I'll send you pics of my wife's huge and perfect boobs if you post some video and give us an honest review

But ok

#256 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Ok, I was lucky enough to get to go over MNPinball's pole barn of heaven on Earth tonight. Here's my two cents on the game and a couple of disclaimers. #1, I don't have one on order so I have no skin in the game. #2, I am not a huge fan of WOZ. #3, I had seen the game before at MGC, but I had never played a single ball on on until tonight so I am not sure what is new and what isn't.
First the visuals and audios. The game looks really nice. I think I have the same hammered bronze powder coat on my LOTR and it looks great and fits the theme very well. Decals were high rez and the screen movie clips were really well done. You may as well have been watching the movie. HD quality and everything popped on the screen. The music was the best part for me. Absolutely outstanding score. It was intense and immersive and the audio quality was fantastic. It was night and day better than the repetitive WOZ theme over and over. Also the lighting, I liked it much better than WOZ too. Even though it fits the theme, I am not a fan of the all out rainbow visual assault in WOZ. I think just because you can, doesn't always mean you should, and in this case, they didn't. The inserts are more torch colors like orange and yellow which fits the theme. It uses other colors well, but only really when it fits, which is nice. Hobbit doesn't just flash all hot pink cause it can for instance.
I played about 3 games tonight and watched several more groups play. The game was constantly being played in groups of 4 so there was a nice wait to play everytime. My first game ever on the pin I killed it. I put up 780,000+ which I think was the highest score of the night. I saw a lot, but I had the benefit of a couple of friends watching the screen and telling me what to shoot for since I had no idea. When starting the game, there are 4 selectable skill shots. You switch between them with the ring button. They are the inlanes, rollovers, dwarf drop targets and elf drop targets. The rollovers seemed to be the best to go for cause with the right plunge you could roll over all 4 lock letters which would give you a whopping 20,000 points, plus light your locks. The dwarf drop skill shot is nice too cause the drop targets strafe up and down from right to left and the farther left drop target you hit, the more points it was worth. The ring button also did things during gameplay. You can power it up with switch hits and cash it in everytime it was full. Sometimes it was for 1000 points, or lighting Thorin or attempting a backstab. It was easy to recharge the ring, so you wanted to use it when you got it full since there is no limit on how many times per ball you could use it, you just needed to recharge it everytime with several switch hits. After the initial plunge you hit drops and shots to light man, elf and dwarf modes. The mode was then started by hitting the right ramp. Modes were different and had nice visuals. Some you hit drops, sometimes orbits, sometimes ramps, sometimes pop ups, sometimes scoops, sometimes it was an every switch frenzy and sometimes a combo of a couple different shots. For instance for flies and spiders you have to hit the lower left spider pop up 3x, then hit the right scoop to complete. During modes, the left ramp seemed to award more time in the mode. Along with the screen, the mini screen in the book in the upper right hand area of the playfield served as a mode status. It would tell you how much time was left in the mode, points scores in the mode and what the value of shots are currently. Points are pretty minimal on the modes right now though, so I'm not sure they are always worth playing. When lit mode shots are worth 200 for instance, it seemed like it was good to start them while working on multiball, but not really to focus on them.
There are double inlanes on each side and they all have a hurry up switch the ball can roll over. When you do, it will pop up one of 4 creatures to knock down ala trolls in MM. When you knock down them all, you get a creature multiball where all the pop ups start firing ala troll madness in MM. The nice thing is this is stackable with the main multiball, so you can get some great points there. The left outlane has a kick back and an up post that serves as a temporary ball lock that you fire the ball out of with the ring button. The ball will often be diverted here on purpose at the start of a mode while you are told what to do. You then fire it out and begin the mode. The right outlane has a single horizontal stand up target. When the ball drains, if you hit this switch, you have a chance to win your ball back. It's a visual game where there is a bar and a line moves up and down and you need to hit the ring button to stop the line in a highlighted section of the bar. Do it and you continue playing, fail and your ball is over.
The main focus of the game as it was seemed to be to start lock 3 multiball. You roll over the L-O-C-K rollovers to light lock on the right ramp. With each lock you get a nice movie clip to watch and Smaug's head turns and he talks to you. The balls are virtually locked and after hitting all 3 locks, you start multiball. In multiball, the right ramp is lit for a mode, so the first thing you want to do is start a mode to go along with the MB. You can start and finish multiple modes in MB as long as you can keep it going and you can stack with another MB like the pop up creature MB. Tons of point potential here. I didn't notice an add a ball, but there is a blue mystery stand up target to the right of the right ramp. That may have awarded one, but with everything going on, I couldn't be sure of that.
The code in general seemed pretty nice. There was a lot going on and a lot to do. I didn't understand it all, but Jack said about 85% of it was there. You collected the different dwarfs and there was a dedicated visual for that. The map of progress was in the upper right hand corner, the honey comb grid of modes is in the center, the hurry up creature pop up list was in the lower left and the lock progress and other status was in the upper left. The middle upper center showed progress towards lighting the man, elf and dwarf modes.
There were some things that seemed incomplete or missing as to be expected. None of the other main multiballs seemed to be achievable yet. There was 3 inserts on the playfield for bigger objective multiballs I never saw light. Some of the call outs were a bit repetitive from Smaug during MB and the scoop shots didn't seem to do much at all during normal play. They shoot well though, so it will be nice to see objectives added to them to spice up the game. The pops are kind of hidden in the upper right hand side of the playfield. You don't plunge into them and orbit shots from the right seem to bypass them so they are kind of under utilized right now. You can enter them from the left orbit and a direct shot though. At first glance the game kinda seems a little barren in the center of the playfield. Most all the shots are way back from the flippers. Once you play though, you see that you are almost always lighting a creature hurry up and having one pop up somewhere so that takes up the empty space. If the creature pop ups were only used sparingly like in Medieval Madness, it would be more of a waste of space, but you are shooting them all the time in Hobbit.
Overall, I really enjoyed playing The Hobbit. I love the theme, the game is beautiful to look at and even better to hear. The flippers were plenty strong and it was fun to flip. Not counting any of the 4 creature pop ups, there are 12 shots to shoot for; Elf drops, left orbit, left scoop, dwarf drops, left ramp, center captive ball, right ramp, blue mystery stand up, pop bumper shot, right scoop, right orbit and right drops. Like I said, not all of them seem to do much yet during normal play, but the shots feel good. You can back hand either ramp and you can make the left scoop with the upper right flipper. You are going to want to move the posts up as far as you can or this is going to be a long player. With double inlanes on both sides, a center post, left kick back and a way to save your ball ala TOTO on the right drain, there are a lot of chances to continue playing.
I took short video on my phone showing the main multiball stacked with the creature pop-up MB and a mode and the hell that breaks loose when that is going on. I'm sure others have more and better video, but it was something just to get an idea of what it looks like if you haven't seen it before. If anyone has any other questions, feel free to ask and I would be happy to help if I can.
» YouTube video

Thank you! Most comprehensive review so far!

#271 8 years ago

I didn't want those reviews to end! Great read, Thks guys.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vyzer2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-landed?tu=vyzer2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.