image_7.jpg
image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
image_10.jpg
image_9.jpg
image_8.jpg
There are 494 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.
#301 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that Shadow isn't that bad of a movie. In fact, I quite enjoy it.

Well, even "isn't that bad" is still not "good." Point is, The Shadow pin transcends the source material, and believe that will be the case for The Hobbit, as well.

#302 8 years ago

the problem is, the shadow playfield is a well thought out design that really works well. Rules are in depth and go along well with the theme, music and layout. What it's based on doesn't really matter as only the backglass really shows anything of the movie. But the prices stayed low for decades because of it. With hobbit, the theme is the basis for purchase this early in the game. It hasn't had 20 years to sit around and wait for people to disregard it, or appreciate it. It's wayyyy to early in the game to say either way. I've put at least 50 games on hobbit over the past 2 years. The rules have been going to drastic changes over those years, but the playfield hasn't changed much. Personally, I don't care for the playfield layout or how it plays. the 3rd flipper is useless and always has been. The rules will be the saving grace of this game. Many in this thread seem to have new pussy syndrome going on, hardcore. Time will be the true test on how well it holds up.

#303 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

1024x768 @ 1920 resolution using a serial computer monitor cable for data

#304 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

One thing that wasn't mentioned was the finer points of details that the book LCD were doing.
1024x768 @ 1920 resolution using a serial computer monitor cable for data. A much improved HD upgrade over the WoZ crystal ball.
The book was showing the modes info and giving player information while playing giving a player count down durring hurry ups and vital information and fantastic animations at quick glances for player perspective. As well as using the display to animate realistic breathing fire when Smaug turns his head. When the ball is in the pops area the book display shows splashes of water.

Nice, I should have paid more attention to the book LCD at Expo, I was distracted by JP's ooh shiny up on the main monitor.

The animations on Hobbit really look top notch, a real evolution from WOZ. It's incredibly busy and packed with info, and I don't know how I feel about that yet, would have to really play it at someone's house and learn what it all means. But it looks beautiful.

#305 8 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

but it's one of the best player's games ever made.

What does that mean anyway? Player's game? I'm a pinball player, I have 3 games. So, logic says that all 3 of my pinball machines are "player's games?" I play all three so they must be.

If you don't have a "player's game" but you sell it to someone who plays it. Does it then become a "player's game?"

If no one played a "player's game" and no one heard someone play it would anyone know it's NOT a "player's game?"

If JZ cheats on Byonce does his machine all of a sudden become a "player's game?"

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Personally, I don't care for the playfield layout or how it plays.

Good to know.

My guess is you probably won't be buying one, but a lot of other people will.

#307 8 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Good to know.
My guess is you probably won't be buying one, but a lot of other people will.

I totally respect Neo's opinions as jaded as they may be because most all of them are the truth.

#308 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Why would killing smaug be the final wizard mode? It's not the overall ending of the movie. Keith is usually good at keeping the story lines in synch with the movie.

Well it was the most epic part of the movie. And probably the most recognisable asset from the movie. There is a reason he is in the centre of the playfield and on the SE side can which cost more than the regular LE.

There mini wizard mode in woz is killing the witch. I hope killing smaug is obtainable but it's not really listed in those 3 modes unless it's 'into the fire' and they have 2 modes from 1 movie. Or maybe those 3 modes are just extra special modes and mini wizard s after that? And full wizard is like woz and based off completion of a certain amount of modes? I'm just guessing..... KEITH?

Quoted from dung:

last I checked the theme is based of three TERRIBLE movies

I agree with what you say that it shouldn't be judged yet. But what the hell do the movies not being to your liking have anything to do with the how good the machine could be? If someone made a really shitty medieval madness movie would it ruin the pinball? It's a rubbish statement.

#309 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

What does that mean anyway? Player's game? I'm a pinball player, I have 3 games. So, logic says that all 3 of my pinball machines are "player's games?" I play all three so they must be.

Of course not. A "player's game" is one that is not only fun to play, but requires learned specific skills and also has great rules and modes that reward players who really spend time with it.

#310 8 years ago

The movies wouldn't have been so terrible if they had packed all that material into the length of what most peoples' games are going to be.
TH pinball will be the movies as they should have been seen.

#311 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Well it was the most epic part of the movie. And probably the most recognisable asset from the movie. There is a reason he is in the centre of the playfield and on the SE side can which cost more than the regular LE.
There mini wizard mode in woz is killing the witch. I hope killing smaug is obtainable but it's not really listed in those 3 modes unless it's 'into the fire' and they have 2 modes from 1 movie. Or maybe those 3 modes are just extra special modes and mini wizard s after that? And full wizard is like woz and based off completion of a certain amount of modes? I'm just guessing..... KEITH?

I agree with what you say that it shouldn't be judged yet. But what the hell do the movies not being to your liking have anything to do with the how good the machine could be? If someone made a really shitty Medieval Madness movie would it ruin the pinball? It's a rubbish statement.

that's true, but look at the ending of LOTR (which keith did). The ending is valinor. Was that the most distinguishing feature of the LOTR trilogy? Nope, but it was the ending of the movies and the ending of LOTR (so i've heard as I have never seen it). I think Keith will do a similar approach here.

#312 8 years ago

so everytime a ball rolls in the inlane, a "troll" pops up? :-/

#313 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's true, but look at the ending of LOTR (which keith did). The ending is valinor. Was that the most distinguishing feature of the LOTR trilogy? Nope, but it was the ending of the movies and the ending of LOTR (so i've heard as I have never seen it).

I don't think that the Valinor is featured in the movies in any way. It's where the elves go when leaving Middle Earth.

Could be wrong, though.

#314 8 years ago

it's just talked about as the overall boat ride they take to sail off into the sunset.

#315 8 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

so everytime a ball rolls in the inlane, a "troll" pops up? :-/

Nope. Only when lit. Which seems to be about 50 percent from videos?

#316 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Why would killing smaug be the final wizard mode? It's not the overall ending of the movie. Keith is usually good at keeping the story lines in synch with the movie.

The wizard mode is the Lord of The Rings obviously.

After you finish the three Arkenstone modes, there is a time skip to the time where Bilbo is old and the fellowship starts.
The LCD display switches to a dot matrix you have to play through all the modes of the LOTR table, collect all gifts of the elves, start There-And-Back-Again, complete the three movie multiballs and destroy the Ring to finally reach Valinor, the Super Duper Mega Extreme Wizard Mode.

#317 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The movies wouldn't have been so terrible if they had packed all that material into the length of what most peoples' games are going to be.
TH pinball will be the movies as they should have been seen.

I agree, the movies may not have been great as a movie-going experience but they might just be perfect material to make a pinball machine from. A fairly simple and clear story line, a plethora of characters, clear division between good and evil and countless hours of high definition grandiose video, dialogue and music to draw from.

#318 8 years ago

The Hobbit is so much bigger than just the movie trilogy. It's a timeless world that was universally known before the movies. When I see The Hobbit pin, i think more of the entire LOTR world.

In a way, the more time between the Trilogy and the game being released, the better.

#319 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The Hobbit is so much bigger than just the movie trilogy. It's a timeless world that was universally known before the movies.

and this, game looks great but theme matters alot for me and not having any interest in the books or films or these disgusting things keeps it as a might own one day but no real attraction. Aliens on the other hand is one I will take unseen and have patience for so I get it if you're a Hobbit fan.

1378489957_hobbit_feet_rect.jpg1378489957_hobbit_feet_rect.jpg

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Why would killing smaug be the final wizard mode? It's not the overall ending of the movie.

Spoiler alert!!!

#321 8 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

Spoiler alert!!!

Hahaha!

Seriously by the end of the Battle of Five Armies, I wanted Oakenshield dead. The scene on the gold floor in the mountain was probably the worst acting of all the movies.

IMO there should be some mode revolving around The Battle with Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman at Dol Guldur. That was my favorite scene of the movie.

#322 8 years ago

Just got Hobbit 3 Extended Edition in 3D....and R Rated! Should be fun!

#323 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just got Hobbit 3 Extended Edition in 3D....and R Rated! Should be fun!

Is that just 9 hours of bilbo giving the camera the finger?

#325 8 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I agree with what you say that it shouldn't be judged yet. But what the hell do the movies not being to your liking have anything to do with the how good the machine could be? If someone made a really shitty Medieval Madness movie would it ruin the pinball? It's a rubbish statement.

As mentioned earlier, Shadow is a great "player's" game. Does it bring AFM or MM money? No and the only reason is the theme. There are a number of other machines that have great layouts and rules, but have never been worth the same as the top machines all due to theme.

As a book, the Hobbit is a great theme. The movies, were a travesty. Great actors hamstrung by the need to stretch 1 movie into 3. Back when they announced the first movie I was sure if they made a pinball based off it, I would be first in line. Honestly have no eagerness to see it because of how terrible the films were. In time if the code pans out and people get over the justification stage while still giving it good reviews I will look into it.

That being said I heard the same things said about WOZ. Is WOZ a bad game? No, but its just ok. This crap happens everytime a new game comes out. Fanboys come out of the woodwork spouting how amazing it is. You have to wait a year or two just to get honest reviews of it. Longer if its a Stern waiting for a code release

#326 8 years ago

I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed the Hobbit movies more than the Lord of the Rings.

#327 8 years ago

This thread is the best infomercial ever!

#328 8 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

IMO there should be some mode revolving around The Battle with Galadriel, Elrond and Saruman at Dol Guldur.

I would think there would be. Should have great video and more importantly sound from that part of the movie.

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoyed the Hobbit movies more than the Lord of the Rings.

I liked the Hobbit too, but LOTR movies were better I think (there were so many epic battles)

#330 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Ha! Wait until Lawlor's game is announced.

We might just break the internet.

#331 8 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I won't go that far, but I've been watching the 3D extended versions (getting ready to watch the last one soon), and upon repeated watchings they come off better than I originally thought. I can't watch a whole extended version in one sitting though. I treat it like a miniseries and watch one disc (roughly 1 1/2 hours) per viewing. I seem get a lot more out of them that way. They're not perfect movies or anything but I like em. There are plenty of things I don't like about Lord of the Rings too, mostly how they turned Gimli into a bafoon for cheap theater laughs.

#332 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You've obviously never seen this

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I liked the Hobbit too, but LOTR movies were better I think

Agreed!

#334 8 years ago

This is probably the best Hobbit thread so far. The reviews from the party have been the most thorough and helpful. I can't wait to get my hands on this machine.

#335 8 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

This is probably the best Hobbit thread so far. The reviews from the party have been the most thorough and helpful. I can't wait to get my hands on this machine.

You won't be disappointed. It's kind of like AFM, MM and CC, only it's got great rules. AFM because it's an open playfield and plays really fast. MM because it's got 4 popup mechs like the trolls. And it reminds me of CC because these 4 mechs pop up at various times and need to be hit. I'll also say, the graphics on the screen in the head are incredible. One of the best things jack ever did was hire Jean Paul de Win. Jean Paul is the motion graphics artist. One hell of a nice guy and incredibly talented.

I will also say, the Hobbit theme does nothing for me. Never cared for LOTR either. However, once I started playing, the theme meant nothing. It was just a blast to play!!

I would venture to say, Hobbit will easily outsell WOZ. There. I said it.

#336 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You won't be disappointed. It's kind of like AFM, MM and CC, only it's got great rules. AFM because it's an open playfield and plays really fast. MM because it's got 4 popup mechs like the trolls. And it reminds me of CC because these 4 mechs pop up at various times and need to be hit. I'll also say, the graphics on the screen in the head are incredible. One of the best things jack ever did was hire Jean Paul de Win. Jean Paul is the motion graphics artist. One hell of a nice guy and incredibly talented.
I will also say, the Hobbit theme does nothing for me. Never cared for LOTR either. However, once I started playing, the theme meant nothing. It was just a blast to play!!
I would venture to say, Hobbit will easily outsell WOZ. There. I said it.

Bryan, Listening to your reviews it appears that you think its a great game. But I have to ask, is it good enough for you to buy one? I ordered one day one, but really frustrated with the wait again and keep trying to talk myself to into not getting out. I wasnt thrilled with the wait on my WOZ, but was unterstanding mostly that it being a new company that there would be hick-ups. But with Jack's lack of communication again and the changing of the cabinet art to decals, Im not excited like i was when i ordered.

#337 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This is especially reassuring to hear as I'm in the same boat. The game looks and sounds very cool from the videos though!

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'll also say, the graphics on the screen in the head are incredible. One of the best things jack ever did was hire Jean Paul de Win. Jean Paul is the motion graphics artist. One hell of a nice guy and incredibly talented.

Yes! If it wasn't clear previously when I said JP I was referring to Jean Paul, and he did a hell of a job with the graphics.

#339 8 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

Bryan, Listening to your reviews it appears that you think its a great game. But I have to ask, is it good enough for you to buy one? I ordered one day one, but really frustrated with the wait again and keep trying to talk myself to into not getting out. I wasnt thrilled with the wait on my WOZ, but was unterstanding mostly that it being a new company that there would be hick-ups. But with Jack's lack of communication again and the changing of the cabinet art to decals, Im not excited like i was when i ordered.

I'm the wrong guy to ask, Troy. I don't play the ones I've got. I spend my entire day in the shop these days. I also think the prices have gotten out of hand. But that's just me.

I certainly can't speak for Jack, but after spending eight hours with him on Sunday, I can certainly understand the delays. The original they came out with a year ago, pretty much sucked. This new one, well, I already told you what I think.

#340 8 years ago

Looking great!

#341 8 years ago

Still no video?

#343 8 years ago

One from the party.

Multiball.

#344 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

One from the party.
Multiball.
» YouTube video

Thanks! While playing did you notice any custom Smaug call outs from a voice actor? I can't tell if all are from the films or if JJP hired a voice actor for custom call outs.

#345 8 years ago

The flippers look out of place. JJP should do a custom gold flake similar to the WOZ slipper flippers.

#346 8 years ago

Thanks for the video.
Not to be greedy but is there any more vids from the party coming?

#347 8 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

You've obviously never seen this
» YouTube video

There's a pinball link to that Infomercial; JS&A, Joseph Sugarman & Associates hawked the Bally Fireball home version pin and also the Bally Professional Arcade units in the mid-late '70's. The were in Oak Brook Illinois at the time before moving operation to tax-friendly Nevada.

#348 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Thanks! While playing did you notice any custom Smaug call outs from a voice actor? I can't tell if all are from the films or if JJP hired a voice actor for custom call outs.

Custom speech is done by our voice actor. There are 127 Smaug callouts in the build. Only a small fraction of them are used in the current code. The use of Smaug callouts in multiball will be better with much less repetition soon. Sooo much to do.

#349 8 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Custom speech is done by our voice actor. There are 127 Smaug callouts in the build. Only a small fraction of them are used in the current code. The use of Smaug callouts in multiball will be better with much less repetition soon. Sooo much to do.

Is it challenging to match the mouth's movement to the speech?

#350 8 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

Thanks for the update, David! The game looks to be shaping up nicely and looks like it will have one of the most impressive rule, audio and animation packages ever created for a pin. I may very well try to get back in on the game after seeing all of the recent updates

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

There are 494 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-landed/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.