(Topic ID: 171478)

The Hobbit has been out for a while, how do owners feel about it?

By jgentry

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by indybru
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5186 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG
IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
pinside pica (resized).jpg
IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I owned the game since they first shipped and just sold it.
- Beautiful game to look at, just stunning
- Great theme and art package
- LCD screen is incredible and ties in well with the theme and gameplay feedback
- Modes are plenty and fun to play, but easy
- Progression on each of the 3 tiers is easy to complete
- Layout is way to open and simple (this is my #1 issue with the game)
- I find the game very easy, with long ball times
- Multi-balls are very easy to achieve and can go on for a long time
- Drop targets are so loud and can get annoying clicking and clacking
- Smaug toy is a let down
- And ……………………..It’s heavy as *&#%
I really gave the game a chance, but in a home environment I need something harder and more compelling to master. If I had ultimate room I would keep it, but with a max of about 12 games I need to be more selective. Ghostbusters prem is replacing it.

Tweaking the software settings to make the extra balls less frequent and the multiballs harder to start makes the game a LOT more enjoyable. Otherwise with factory settings it's just one multiball after another with extra balls raining down. I really think JJP would be well served to rebalance the factory default settings. For home players, it's too easy in general. For locations, without tweaks, the ball times will be too long. With just a few adjustments, both of these things are easily fixed and the game is more fun, IMO.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

31 modes though...
Tweaking the factory defaults could make it too tough to get to the end.

Nah. I got through pretty much everything in 1.31 with the settings tweaked, and I'm not a fantastic player, just a good one. Before tweaking things, the multiballs and extra balls were so plentiful, that I often had the urge to just walk away from games in progress. Turning down the noise (literally and figuratively) helps make it easier to focus on the goals at any particular time, IMO.

I don't think the 1.9 update has the super wizard mode in it, so there's still more to look forward to now that Battle of the Five Armies is finally in.

3 weeks later
#114 7 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Played the game for the first time yesterday. I had a couple of decent games and it played fast and fun. The sound was a little annoying though. Each time a new sound started there was a slight, very low popping/clicking sound. It wasn't like a loud static, it was more like the sounds abruptly ended and a new one started. To me, it was distracting. Anyone else notice this, or was I playing a machine with sound problems? I would have played it more, but there were two other machines, and I chose to play them because of the sound issue.

This is a known problem with certain Hobbits and will happen even if the sound isn't clipping. You have to call JJP to get replacement RCA headers for the sound connectors to fix it.

Here are the part numbers:
22-008004-02 RCA Bulkhead Jack, Red, F-F
22-008004-04 RCA Bulkhead Jack, Yellow, F-F
22-008004-09 RCA Bulkhead Jack, White, F-F

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from FrankJ:

Played the game for the first time yesterday. I had a couple of decent games and it played fast and fun. The sound was a little annoying though. Each time a new sound started there was a slight, very low popping/clicking sound. It wasn't like a loud static, it was more like the sounds abruptly ended and a new one started. To me, it was distracting. Anyone else notice this, or was I playing a machine with sound problems? I would have played it more, but there were two other machines, and I chose to play them because of the sound issue.

Following up on this, I went to replace the RCA bulkhead jacks and found that the cables INSIDE the box had come loose slightly. Pushing those back in solved the popping without having to replace the bulkhead jacks themselves.

1 week later
#125 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Following up on this, I went to replace the RCA bulkhead jacks and found that the cables INSIDE the box had come loose slightly. Pushing those back in solved the popping without having to replace the bulkhead jacks themselves.

Following up on that followup - the popping is back (although less frequent). Checked the connections inside and outside the metal box for the RCA cables and all were fine. I'll be replacing the RCA bulkhead jacks after all, I guess.

#129 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

1.94 software is supposed to fix the sound popping

It's also supposed to fix the lockups at the score entry screen.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#135 7 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Do we know when its coming?

Version 1.94 is in a wider beta now, so maybe next week if all goes well? It definitely solves the sound popping and lockup issue on the high score screen.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

I've run across a couple issues in 1.94b that probably need to be sorted before an official release. At least I hope they get fixed before release.

And after more play, it hasn't stopped the popping, just lessened the incidence.

#189 7 years ago
Quoted from Ransom99:

Couple weeks I've had my TH LE. It's growing on me but there have been issues, biggest one being the audio. We've been trying to pinpoint the problem, the process is ongoing. I can't give this game my seal of approval until everything is running smooth

Do you have a recording of what the sound was like? 00:50 you can hear the... thing lol
» YouTube video

Can't really hear much at 0:50. However, following up, plugging in more firmly did not solve the problem, in the end. Neither did unplugging the subwoofer. The popping eventually comes back. It seems to be fine for the first 2-5 games after a cold reboot (off, then on), but then it comes back and gradually gets worse. It HAS to be software...v 1.30 doesn't do it. It started with 1.90 and continues with 1.94P.

#190 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

If you figure out your audio issue please let me know what fixed it, mine has frequent static/popping too

I've found that a cold reboot will take care of it for a number of games before it comes back.

#201 7 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

would it be possible to twin the book lcd and place one on the apron?

It's just VGA, so with a powered VGA splitter - yes.

1 week later
#210 7 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I have serious concerns with this game...when the game DOES work, i see an wide open PF with 20 shots on it and the gameplay is BORING?!? How does this happen? Has Jersey Jack forgotten that this industry is driven by operators? Even as a home buyer, I would not consider buying this game.
It's just how I feel about this table.

The one I know of on route does very well, and works fine (except for the sound popping problem introduced on 1.90) so fail on that assumption.

#212 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Mine will be going on location March/April next year after I bring WOZ back. Hoping it does well, WOZ certainly has.

It doesn't to as well as WoZ, but it does well. However, once it has complete code, it could be even better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-been-out-for-a-while-how-do-owners-feel-about-it?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.