(Topic ID: 171478)

The Hobbit has been out for a while, how do owners feel about it?

By jgentry

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by indybru
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5186 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG
IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
pinside pica (resized).jpg
IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

So after playing The Hobbit at several shows I was largely down on it. It played slow and it felt like all you do is bash the pop ups over an over. I realized the slow floaty play was due to setup but it still just didn't feel that fun. Since then I just mostly brushed it off and haven't thought about it again much. So now that a lot of people have had one in their home for a while how do you really feel about the game? Does it stand up well against other new games? Is it different enough to be a keeper in a home collection? Is the code fun?

With all of the price increases of future NIB games I'm circling back to this one to give it another look and just wanted to know peoples honest opinions that have had a lot of time on one. I tend to be more of a short ball time game person so that concerns me but I do enjoy a game of XMENLE or LOTR mixed in from time to time.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Just one question before I give you my thoughts. Did you play it at shows like York, Allentown?

Played it at TPF 2 years in a row, at expo last year, and another show or 2. Been about a year though.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How long will it be until non-owners start chiming in about their feelings?

I'm sure it's coming, bring on the non owners opinions though as long as they have played it a lot and have an honest educated opinion.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from mummite:

I owned the game since they first shipped and just sold it.
- Beautiful game to look at, just stunning
- Great theme and art package
- LCD screen is incredible and ties in well with the theme and gameplay feedback
- Modes are plenty and fun to play, but easy
- Progression on each of the 3 tiers is easy to complete
- Layout is way to open and simple (this is my #1 issue with the game)
- I find the game very easy, with long ball times
- Multi-balls are very easy to achieve and can go on for a long time
- Drop targets are so loud and can get annoying clicking and clacking
- Smaug toy is a let down
- And ……………………..It’s heavy as *&#%
I really gave the game a chance, but in a home environment I need something harder and more compelling to master. If I had ultimate room I would keep it, but with a max of about 12 games I need to be more selective. Ghostbusters prem is replacing it.

Thanks for your honesty. If you don't mind me asking did you take a pretty good hit on the resale price or did it hold up pretty good? Not trying to be nosey but I could see myself getting it, loving it for a few months, then tiring of the same journey over and over. Pins that tell a great story are awesome but I find they get old much quicker.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

My friend's enjoyed his Hobbit and I got to play it, but the announcement of another newer, better version has left a sour taste in his mouth.
He says it's hitting the road so he can get a new Batman instead.

Do you have another friend that is mad at stern for making a newer, better version of Batman

Quoted from dtowndobe:

I can't answer for mummite, but if you are interested in getting TH, you have to go into it with the assumption that you will not recoup all your investment. That's my opinion.
It's easy to get NIB and will most likely be that way for quite a few more months. JJP is still producing WOZ. I wouldn't be surprised if they're still producing both WOZ and TH when Dialed In is on the main assembly line. They'll certainly be producing TH on the smaller secondary line while Dialed In occupies the main line.

I don't mind losing a little, that's just part of it. I don't want to lose a lot on a game though if I can help it. I was mainly asking as the HUO market price is a great indicator of how well the game is being received. I saw a lot of people dump it quickly after they started shipping, but that seems to have dried up a lot.

#19 7 years ago

I can see people getting a little upset at the different versions that come out later. To me they are all one in the same so it doesn't really matter. Can't play the trim color or the cabinet art.

#50 7 years ago

Sounds like it's worth trying. I have a decent sized collection so I can have some games that I don't want to play very often. Just got a pretty good deal on the BA edition used at expo. Looking forward to getting it in a couple of weeks. It's been played enough to work out any bugs and is being gone back through by a really good pin tech so it's a win win. Worst case is I hate it and I lose $100 or so.

#53 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Pinball as an investment for money is a fools paradise.
As an investment in fun and excitement, its second to none for a lot of us.

I'm not worried about making money and I don't look at them as investments. It's a hobby and they cost money. I'm not overly interested in losing a bunch of money though. I wouldn't think that anyone would want that.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

What? Are you kidding me? You got it 90 days after the order? I paid 8k for mine in October of 2014. They wanted the whole payment and wouldn't take just a deposit. That's 2 years they've been holding onto my money.
First they said I'd have it January of 2015, then June 2015, then October 2015, then June 2016 and now November 2016 and they said it's gonna be delayed again due to the toys being on back order. At this point I feel I should have some stock options in the company. When I made a stink about it on Facebook they kicked/blocked me from their page. I saw another guy complain here;
https://www.yelp.com/biz/jersey-jack-pinball-lakewood-township
and they cancelled his order and told him they didn't need his business so I'm afraid of complaining to much. His whole story is on yelp (see the attached link). All I want is my table.
Can I ask when you ordered your table?

Did you order directly through JJP or a distributor? If you ordered through JJP the problem becomes they have huge distributor orders in front of you and the distributors seem to always get priority. Anyone can buy one right now and get it immediately. It just comes at a higher price. Sounds like they are almost done though. If any BA edition ship before you get yours I would lose my mind though.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from B_DUB_311:

I ordered it directly from JJP. That would make sense though. I just wish they would update me through e-mails. It's crickets unless I contact them directly. Just a "hey we haven't forgot about you, we've shipped xxx amount and your number is coming up". That would suffice me.

I think Jack said at expo there are only 300 more to go. So it sounds like you will get it in the next month or 2.

2 weeks later
#77 7 years ago

Made it home with a Hobbit today.

IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpgIMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

#102 7 years ago

Haven't had a chance to play mine much yet. But from just a few games you can tell that it needs more call outs. It can be pretty hard to figure out what to do at times. So far I like it a lot though. Hopefully the keep working on the code.

3 weeks later
#183 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I was reading this post and I was going to respond to you about having TH and RRWOZ. Then I saw you mentioned me about finally got my RRWOZ. Boy, I love them both. They are so different. I have played WOZ not stop for 2 weeks. Great game. Then I played TH today, such a different game but fun as hell. I too would love to get DI but the prices are getting out of control. I will play it at Replay FX in 2017 and see if it's good enough to buy.

Isn't dialed in cheaper then a RRWOZ? 9k vs 9.5k

1 week later
#215 7 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

I have serious concerns with this game. There are some elements on the PF (upper flipper) that make no sense at all. When I see this game on location at least half the monster pop ups are broken. When the game DOES work, i see an wide open PF with 20 shots on it and the gameplay is BORING?!? How does this happen? Has Jersey Jack forgotten that this industry is driven by operators? Even as a home buyer, I would not consider buying this game.
It's just how I feel about this table.

I think your criticism is fair. I have seen a couple on location broken but I've also come to expect most games on location do not work 100%. It's definitely an odd shot layout that I have not gotten fully used to yet. The modes are fun though so I think with more code work it can still turn into a really good game. I'm still enjoying it but not 100% sold on it yet.

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from Brickshot:

Can you be more specific on what you think the code needs? I think 1.9 seems extremely polished and extremely deep. Given that JJP has said that 1.9 is the final release (minus bug fixes) I'm not sure what it is that you think is still needed? What game has more?

There are a few really easy things. The Beast frenzy multiball constantly starts if you start Smaug multiball and it makes it almost impossible to defeat smaug. That is a huge glaring one in my opinion. Prevent beast frenzy from starting once smaug is started. The game needs a lot more call outs, I'm constantly trying to read the screen to figure out what to do as the game does not tell me. Those 2 things alone would make the game a ton better. I never said anything about adding more modes. The game is not even remotely close to as polished as WOZ is.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jgentry.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-been-out-for-a-while-how-do-owners-feel-about-it?tu=jgentry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.