(Topic ID: 171478)

The Hobbit has been out for a while, how do owners feel about it?

By jgentry

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 252 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by indybru
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5186 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPG
IMG_5018 (resized).JPG
pinside pica (resized).jpg
IMG_20161105_204206496 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cornelius.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#92 7 years ago

Non-owner chiming in - sorry Vid. I've already been chastised for commenting in the Owners thread when I'm not an owner, so I hope my comments are okay over here.

I played it a few times at ReplayFX, in its early stages and when it had been on the market for a few months. I found it beautiful but boring. "Floaty", as they say.

Then I came across it at the Fremont Arcade in Las Vegas. Didn't quite know what I was doing yet, but after being able to really play around with it for a while, I could tell there was something there. Plus, one of the staff members at the Arcade congratulated me on my play and that's always a lovely feeling

And then one day, during my habitual checking of Pinballmap, a Hobbit popped up for the first time in Southern California. Alas, it was at a bowling alley known for having some pretty beat up games. And it's 30 miles from my house. But it's the Hobbit!!

I've made the trip there and back at least a dozen times now. I'm infatuated with the goddamn thing. It's so immersive and strategic and just wonderful to play, that I can't get enough of it!

So, yawl, believe me when I say I love this freaking game. And understand that loving something sometimes means you gotta be critical of it. Constructively! Or as best as my layman self can.

First of all, I'm VERY curious as to how this rudebwoy plays on route vs. at home. There is just no way around the fact that this machine needs some TLC to work properly. I feel so incredibly awful when the ball hits a beast at just the last moment and the door closes on top of the ball, leaving it stuck there. It's quite a testament to the strength of this game that it just doesn't break then and there when that happens! So the ball eventually pops out when you drain or during a ball search and hey, it might even be a devious way to keep a MB going (that hurts my heart to do that, but as I type this out, I wonder if maybe next time...). Eventually though, stuff just stops working. The Warg target, for example, just doesn't wanna raise out of the playfield (so I can never beat Into the Fire! ). I don't know if it's an easy fix at home, you take the glass off, adjust some screws, voila? But on route, the player doesn't have much of a choice. I've heard 1.90 adjusts for non-working pop ups, but the one I play is on 1.31.

Another reason I wonder if this game is worth putting on route is how it tends to have pretty damn long ball times. Let's say I play ten games on The Hobbit during a visit. Five of them will be horrible, done in under 90 seconds. Four of them will be about 10 minutes long. And then I'll (hopefully!) have that one, epic, 45 minute game. I do my best, but I'm nowhere near a pinball champ and so I wonder, if someone IS an amazing pinball player, will they just be rocking this thing on one credit for hours at a time?

As immersive as this game is, I feel that the call outs tend to be repetitive. However, the incredible sounds of battle whenever you get into a Smaug Multiball or a mini-wizard mode more than makes up for that.

I don't like that the game shipped without a BOTFA mode, yet with an insert announcing its' eventual arrival. That's on the state of the industry though, and I'm already annoyed with being chastised for asking questions about the AC/DC Cannon inserts elsewhere so I'm not really interested in taking up arms about it. Just mentioning it. And if I understand correctly, there isn't anything in the code for beating all 31 modes?!?!? Come on now, that's some "we're sorry, the princess is in another castle" type letdown right there.

Please, don't take what I just said for me not liking the game. I think it's pretty obvious that if I'm willing to drive 60 miles on a regular basis to play it that I'm pretty INTO IT. Maybe someday I'll hit the lottery and be able to buy one. Or maybe Ron will get one in at Pinball Land. Whatever. This game is the absolute bees knees and big, big, big ups to all those involved with the creation of it!

PS I've killed Smaug twice now, and I don't know how the eff I did it!

PPS my highest ring score is 7000. Oooh every smack to the ring button feels so incredible when you're making those crazy points every time!

IMG_5018 (resized).JPGIMG_5018 (resized).JPG
IMG_5145 (resized).JPGIMG_5145 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#123 7 years ago
Quoted from oyvindmo:

I have had a Hobbit on route since August. It is typically the #2 game in earnings; behind GoT, but ahead of games like LOTR, AFM and SM.
The game came with the playfield protector installed. It was removed last weekend, and the game plays quite a bit faster now, so now I'm looking forward to seeing how it affects the game's popularity and earnings.

That's good to hear, oyvindmo ! Do your pop-ups need to be adjusted a lot?

2 weeks later
#138 7 years ago

Finally was able to get the Grand Champion score!! Two rounds of Barrel Escape, three rounds of Into the Fire, killed Smaug and had the ring valued at over 16k per activation! Holy cow, it was one epic game.

But now I'm to the point that I'm going to wait until they bring the code up to date and fix the pop-ups because I don't feel like I'm getting the full experience. Can't get past Into the Fire with a non-working Warg!

IMG_5186 (resized).JPGIMG_5186 (resized).JPG

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

The only WTF I have is the upper right flipper. They should make a mode or shot that you have to hit the upper right sling by hitting the left loop and using the upper right flipper just to make it relevent.

I was down on the upper right flipper too at first, but now that I'm more familiar with the game, it's starting to make more sense. Some things it is used for:

*Hitting the Dwarf targets after the ball rolls out of the Bag End pops - it's how you kick a barrel over
*Hitting the captive ball between the ramps
*Hitting the ELF targets (it's not easy, but it's a lot easier than trying to hit them off your bottom right flipper)

and most importantly

*Killing Smaug! Although many others have observed, you can also get off the killing blow from the lower flippers.

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I use it for the right vuk shot too if time is running out and I need that shot!

Oh yeah, for sure! Feels so good when you pull it off.

#151 7 years ago
Quoted from Metalzoic:

Wow... Mine has over 800 plays on it and 1 million has only been cracked once, Into the Fire has never been completed, Barrel Escape has only been started once and no ones ever been able to even qualify Battle of the 5 Armies.

A good way to get a high score is to make sure you never start a mode without having a ball locked for multiball. Start something easy, like The One Ring, where it's over after one successful ramp shot - then try to rack up as many lit shots as you can during the Treasure Hunt portion.

Also, don't sleep on activating the ring for the score bonus as much as possible! One good spinner rip is good for one, sometimes two activations... same goes for the pops. That score builds up quickly!

#154 7 years ago

I have to admit, I find the screen overwhelming. I have to use the musical cues for Dwarf Frenzy and Super Spinner or else I'd never know they're happening. And even then, I usually don't realize it until there are only a few seconds left on the timer.

#157 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The small screen on the PF? Not overwhelming in any way, shape, or form in my opinion. Quite the opposite.

No, no. That I can handle. I mean looking up at the big screen, I'm usually too, uh, balls deep in a mode to look up at all the things happening on the screen. For example, I know it shows how close you are to starting a Beast Frenzy, but it surprises me every single time it happens.

#159 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yeah, the big/main screen is a challenge to look at with a ball in play. The small screen is what I use/look at with a ball in play much more than the main screen.

I really wish the game had more call outs telling you where to shoot (but I play on 1.31, so maybe it has been updated). I know there are "shoot the __ ramp", "shoot the __ loop" and "shoot the bumpers" callouts, but does it ever call out the holes or the drop targets? Maybe it does, and I'm just too busy to notice it.

Oh and I don't know what the hell "they started without us!?" is supposed to signify, but man, I hear Bilbo saying that in my sleep!

#164 7 years ago

(somebody might have to repeat this, cause I'm pretty sure ol' guy has me on ignore)

Quoted from Rarehero:

I have a question about the Lite Mystery inserts on the inlanes...they seem to change color and sometimes blink...what does this mean? I'm assuming maybe it affects what type of award you get...but the actual Mystery insert always seems to be blue.

The mystery insert is always blue. The inlanes are indeed color coded by award type. First is the basic mystery award. Second is award + mode skill shot. Third is award + ring save. Fourth is award + add-a-ball.

#166 7 years ago

Actually, you should just directly consult what I refer to as The Hobbit Bible:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet/page/3#post-3421626

Level 1/Blue – Mystery Target: Collect a random award
o Immediately awards one of the following:
 1,000/5,000 Points
 Add-A-Ball
 Add Book Time (can resurrect a timed out mode)
 Add Bonus Multiplier
 Add Feast Frenzy Time
 Add Feast Frenzy Value
 Add Tilt Warning (Can go beyond the normal threshold, allowing for
triple+ danger saves!)
 Advance Erebor (~3/4 of a screen)
 Light Beast Lanes (i.e. inlanes)
 Light Gollum (i.e. Preciousss)
 Light Kickback
 Light Thorin
 Spot Beast Hurry Up
 Spot Dwarf
 Super Jets
 More tbd
 Level 2/Orange – Captive Ball: Add a dwarf to the party
o Awards ability for a captive ball hit to substitute for a dwarf shot (awarding
collection of that dwarf).
 Level 3/Purple – Load Arrow: Start mode, shoot a MAN target for bonus scoring
o Awards ability to get a special award at your next mode start. Basically, after
hitting the right ramp to start a mode your ball will be diverted into the arrow
(left outlane). You then use the ring button to shoot an arrow and if you hit the
MAN targets you get a Windlance Award. These awards can be points (1000 or
5000), additional time (5, 10, 15, or 20 seconds), 2x mode scoring, 2x playfield
scoring, add-a-ball, light extra ball, and more tbd???.
Page 15 of 32
 Level 4/Green – Precioussss: Ring save
o Awards a right outlane ball save feature where you must time your ring button
press to fall within a specified window.

#171 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

And can any of you actually read anything on the book LCD? This thing is virtually a complete waste to me. I can read the countdown timer, and sort of the mode names as they change when I hit the left ramp. Almost everything else is super tiny and in that script font. I don't have/need glasses, but that screen makes me feel like I'm Mr Magoo. Really wish there was a mod to put it in the apron, unless there really isn't much useful info on it beyond the countdown.

The only mode I had trouble with was the one where it tells you that the left shots unblock the right shots. I had to squint to see that. But other than that, I find the book easy to read, much easier to read than what's happening on the monitor.

However, I have quite a few issues with reading comprehension. Can't tell you how many times I'm hitting the left ramp and going WHY AM I NOT COMPLETING THIS MODE only to realize at the last second I was supposed to hit the left ORBIT. Totally my fault, not the games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cornelius.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-has-been-out-for-a-while-how-do-owners-feel-about-it?tu=cornelius and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.