20170618_120714 (resized).jpg
20170618_120718 (resized).jpg
20170218_161501 (resized).jpg
20170218_161435 (resized).jpg
20170218_161421 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_1377 (resized).JPG
IMG_6540 (resized).JPG
There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.
#701 7 years ago

any bugs with the 1.90? i am still on 1.21 want to install 1.90

#702 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Install it. It's worth it and I've had no issues other than black screen in barrel escape.

#703 7 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Just do it. You won't be sorry.

#704 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Install it. It's worth it and I've had no issues other than black screen in barrel escape.

Don't you mean "Battle of Five Armies"?

#705 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

April 2014 order and shipped today! Looking forward to finally getting it here and set up!

I'm hoping to get on this bandwaggon soon as well. Paid in fulll December 2013, but still waiting

#706 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Oops. You're right. Battle of five armies. Typing quickly while at work. Lol

#707 7 years ago

Just placed my order today! My Smaug SE will be here next week!

#708 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wasn't black for me.

Also got this massive score in that same game. My best prior to it was about 1.8 mill or so.

wooo!wooo!

#709 7 years ago

^^^^^^
You did have a black screen during the battle of the five armies.

#710 7 years ago

I also noticed the book screen was black during BOTFA.
Thinking I'm going to break my cardinal rule of "3 balls per game" and up the ball count on my THLE so I can get to this wizard mode.
I'm also wondering if JJP will film a live stream or video tutorial on how to progress through the game. I've read most of the tutorials but I'm a visual learner.
In any case, I am still loving this game more than I could have imagined.

#711 7 years ago

Guys, do you like battle of five armies in it's current state? I personally think it's a bit boring hitting the beasts over and over again. Also, there is basically no light show. Why not use the moving drop targets more? I really love when they all go off at the same moment, which represent more of an army than the two beasts heads.

#712 7 years ago

Gameplay question. How do you get to barrel escape and battle of five armies? I've only seen into the fire. Thanks!

#713 7 years ago
Quoted from jamjam:

Gameplay question. How do you get to barrel escape and battle of five armies? I've only seen into the fire. Thanks!

After getting to into the fire, simply complete the same 5 runes again to light barrel escape, rinse and repeat for battle.

#714 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

^^^^^^

LOL, yes he did.

#715 7 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

Guys, do you like battle of five armies in it's current state? I personally think it's a bit boring hitting the beasts over and over again. Also, there is basically no light show. Why not use the moving drop targets more? I really love when they all go off at the same moment, which represent more of an army than the two beasts heads.

I agree, I think it is currently the weakest of the 3 Arkenstone modes.

#716 7 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

^^^^^^

oh sorry you meant the book. Sorry I misunderstood and thought it was the main screen itself.

#717 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Wasn't black for me.
» YouTube video
Also got this massive score in that same game. My best prior to it was about 1.8 mill or so.

Thanks for the great video!

#718 7 years ago

Laseriffic topper installed!

IMG_3581 (resized).JPGIMG_3581 (resized).JPG

#719 7 years ago

Hello
Im thinking of buying a hobbit pinball and is the third movie on it now with a update ?

Last i checked it was not on it and slot of people wanted the last battle in to the game ?

Cheers!

#720 7 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Laseriffic topper installed!

Needs more red.

#721 7 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I also noticed the book screen was black during BOTFA.
Thinking I'm going to break my cardinal rule of "3 balls per game" and up the ball count on my THLE so I can get to this wizard mode.
I'm also wondering if JJP will film a live stream or video tutorial on how to progress through the game. I've read most of the tutorials but I'm a visual learner.

arkenstone tutorial here ->

A video tute for all the modes would take aaaages.

#722 7 years ago

Cheers Koops!
(BTW- My pinball obsession started when i lived in Adelaide. Miss that crazy town.)

#723 7 years ago

Hobbit has arrived and just setup night before last. Playfield protector installed at factory and all of the beast trapdoors have a small edge/lip around them and do not rest fully flush with the protector. Is this normal? None of my others have protectors installed but I'm used to games with trapdoors that rest completely flush with the playfield and it does impact flow. Thanks in advance!

#724 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Hobbit has arrived and just setup night before last. Playfield protector installed at factory and all of the beast trapdoors have a small edge/lip around them and do not rest fully flush with the protector. Is this normal? None of my others have protectors installed but I'm used to games with trapdoors that rest completely flush with the playfield and it does impact flow. Thanks in advance!

Mine are flush but I don't have a playfield protector

#725 7 years ago

Mine are flush and I do have a playfield protector

#726 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

They do not sit "recessed".

This is how they are regardless of protector or no protector. I have seen both styles. The doors always sit above the play field. It is the weight of the beasts that hold them down.

They do impact the flow when it is a super slow ball but otherwise not really.

#727 7 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Check the rubber height adjustments on the bottom of the mechs.

#728 7 years ago
Quoted from koops:

They do not sit "recessed".
This is how they are regardless of protector or no protector. I have seen both styles. The doors always sit above the play field. It is the weight of the beasts that hold them down.
They do impact the flow when it is a super slow ball but otherwise not really.

Quoted from metahugh:

Check the rubber height adjustments on the bottom of the mechs.

OK thanks all for the feedback! Looking forward to digging into the game this weekend!

#729 7 years ago

Is it really hard for you to manually lift them up? Ie you have to put a finger nail below the flap to make a slight gap so you can pull them up? If so then they are probably in the right place.

Also if you push down on them they shouldn't actually go any lower. As metahugh said, you can check the rubber stoppers below them.

This is what mine look like for reference.

IMG_6540 (resized).JPGIMG_6540 (resized).JPG

#730 7 years ago

Thanks for the photo to confirm - mine are the same so all good!

#731 7 years ago

A coworker of mine came over the other night for dinner. For the record, he's not a pinhead. He saw my THLE and asked if we could play it. His jaw hit the floor. Absolutely amazed by the integration of artwork, lighting and video. He's a photography director in my department and a documentary he worked on earlier this year was accepted and being reviewed by the academy as an Oscar contender.
He's a harsh critic and is beyond impressed with THLE.
Well done Team JJP!
You are definitely turning heads.

#732 7 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

A coworker of mine came over the other night for dinner. For the record, he's not a pinhead. He saw my THLE and asked if we could play it. His jaw hit the floor. Absolutely amazed by the integration of artwork, lighting and video. He's a photography director in my department and a documentary he worked on earlier this year was accepted and being reviewed by the academy as an Oscar contender.
Well done Team JJP!

Agreed - just a couple weeks in with our Smaug and its a work of art and super fun to play....can't wait to have the extended family enjoy it over Thanksgiving.

#733 7 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

Well done Team JJP!

Those are the types of guys that usually fall over from shock or crap themselves when discovering the actual price of one.

#734 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Those are the types of guys that usually fall over from shock or crap themselves when discovering the actual price of one.

You'd think but because of our industry we understand product markup, how much "good creative" costs to accomplish and that paying a premium for quality upfront pays for itself in the long run (which I'm hoping hold true for my THLE...so far I've had minimal issues that have been easily fixable and don't think it will be a basketcase to maintain over the years).

#735 7 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

You'd think but because of our industry we understand product markup, how much "good creative" costs to accomplish and that paying a premium for quality upfront pays for itself in the long run (which I'm hoping hold true for my THLE...so far I've had minimal issues that have been easily fixable and don't think it will be a basketcase to maintain over the years).

I think the main issue will be access to non-standard parts and their general availability. Most of the lighting is custom board based. An led fails (which i've already had) and its a new board from somewhere (hopefully JJP still) or another supplier that fills the void.

1 month later
#736 7 years ago

Went to play a quick game before we went out. We were a bit late.

IMG_1377 (resized).JPGIMG_1377 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#737 7 years ago

So how is everyone enjoying their Hobbits? I've had my game over 4 months and I haven't even been able to kill Smaug yet

#738 7 years ago

Love mine, can't stop playing it. My high is 2.7 mil on factory settings. I have an extra Smaug for sale if anyone is interested, in the market. I can give a very good deal on a game that looks like new.

#739 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

So how is everyone enjoying their Hobbits? I've had my game over 4 months and I haven't even been able to kill Smaug yet

what is your strategy to kill smaug? i kill him alot any more sometimes 2x in one game. i make sure to not have anything but Smaug Mball running and cradle a ball on right flipper then shoot a ball up right ramp with left flipper and shoot the kill shot with right flipper cradled ball.

#740 7 years ago

If anyone is interested, I'm selling my Hobbit LE that has only 33 plays on it (half of which are factory testing), with the upgrade kit, inside side art, etc.

It is factory fresh. I literally played it 10-12 times and thats it. I have no time to play and its a waste sitting there.

$7300 out the door if anyone wants it.

#741 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I've done it twice, but honestly don't know how or what I did. Just know it's in multiball.

#742 7 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a topper? Just got mine a few days ago and love it so far.

#743 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

what is your strategy to kill smaug? i kill him alot any more sometimes 2x in one game. i make sure to not have anything but Smaug Mball running and cradle a ball on right flipper then shoot a ball up right ramp with left flipper and shoot the kill shot with right flipper cradled ball.

To be honest, I have no strategy. I haven't really played it that much and when I do play I'm just focusing on qualifying all the modes. My highest score is less than 2 million!

#744 7 years ago

Just got my Hobbit Smaug in a trade for a GB. Terrific game, but does need a bit of dialing in. Specifically, the left VUK 'double pumps' the ball trying to get out sometimes. Anyone else have this experience? Recommendations to fix?

#745 7 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Just got my Hobbit Smaug in a trade for a GB. Terrific game, but does need a bit of dialing in. Specifically, the left VUK 'double pumps' the ball trying to get out sometimes. Anyone else have this experience? Recommendations to fix?

Mine does that as well. I wouldn't think there's anything to fix if it only happens sometimes and it does get it out after two attempts.

#746 7 years ago

Sometimes it has to do with wall A/C current.

On a high power day my VUK's actually bounce the ball off the wire-form and go back down to the actuator.
On low power days it might take 2 attempts for the ball to get to the top.

This is happening while leaving the settings unchanged.

#747 7 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#748 7 years ago

I've got two hobbits right now, a smaug and an LE. Here's a couple of pics of them side by side. Smaug, which is for sale in the market, is on the left. The LE just came out of the box. Not much difference really, cabinet artwork, different color trim, both are really nice, and smaug is redder on the LE. The LE looks taller because the back end is jacked up a bit more. They play identical.

20170218_161421 (resized).jpg20170218_161421 (resized).jpg

20170218_161435 (resized).jpg20170218_161435 (resized).jpg

20170218_161501 (resized).jpg20170218_161501 (resized).jpg

#749 7 years ago

You can tune the vuk coil power in the settings.

Have a look at what is actually happening. Is the ball bouncing back from the top end? If so slightly reduce the power. This was what mine was doing. It was slabbing the ball into the far end and making it bounce back down again.

1 month later
#750 7 years ago

New member here as of today. Hobbit Smaug SE#777 checking in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-club-members-only/page/15?hl=touchingevil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.