20170618_120714 (resized).jpg
20170618_120718 (resized).jpg
20170218_161501 (resized).jpg
20170218_161435 (resized).jpg
20170218_161421 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_1377 (resized).JPG
IMG_6540 (resized).JPG
There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.
#451 7 years ago

What are these fixes, can you elaborate?

#452 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

What are these fixes, can you elaborate?

The pop up mechs have been changed and they have moved the wireforms.

#453 7 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I wonder what changes were made. Mostly the mechs work great, they just needed adjusting on my game.
Now the ball trapping in the mechs is a troubling problem that may need some new ideas, I think.

#454 7 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Haven't read this elsewhere. Any necessary fixes for Hobbits already on site?

#455 7 years ago

Maybe they have, I got my game middle of last week and the pop up mechs started failing within the first day. If I run the coil test they all just pop up about halfway and drop back down. I have investigated somewhat looking for disconnected wires, but I have not looked for just rubbing. I hopefully can spend some time later today looking for if they rub the playfield. There is a lot going on under there. Otherwise things appear to be fine.

#456 7 years ago
Quoted from VT8man:

Maybe they have, I got my game middle of last week and the pop up mechs started failing within the first day. If I run the coil test they all just pop up about halfway and drop back down. I have investigated somewhat looking for disconnected wires, but I have not looked for just rubbing. I hopefully can spend some time later today looking for if they rub the playfield. There is a lot going on under there. Otherwise things appear to be fine.

Check your side to side level first, the mechs kinda "hang" loosely in their weldments (to allow for the 4 or 6-way motion maybe?).
Next check your playfield pitch, 6 1/2 to 7 degree's, I have mine at slightly less than 7.

The mechs might have enough play in the mounting holes to be moved slightly (after loosening their mounting hardware) away from where they rub.

Lastly, thin washers can be inserted to tilt the mech away from the edge that it is rubbing on.

On my game the mechs can be extremely close to the playfield wood and work perfectly, they just cannot rub or touch the wood.

Upon delivery of my game:

Orc pop-up was rubbing ever so slightly
Goblin and Warg were perfect
Spider did a peek-a-boo then dropped down (needed adjusting).

The spider needed the most adjustment.

Currently after many games there are no more problems other than the before mentioned ball traps under the flaps, mostly under the goblin and orc figure.

#457 7 years ago

Got to play TH at Allentown, played two of the 4 or so that were there.. Big thanks to Joe at Pinball Star for bringing all the games for us to enjoy..

Games played great except the pop ups. Both games I played only had one of the 4 working.

#458 7 years ago

My game arrived from R&L Carriers. After plugging in one loose connection my machine is playing perfectly out of the box. Attached pic is curbside delivery.

I haven't had any issues with the pop up mechs.

Awesome game!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#459 7 years ago

I played hobbit at Allentown and hated it. I'm hoping it can be tweaked as it felt horribly slow. I ended up feeling bored while playing. I really hope the games at the show where not set up right.

#460 7 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

My game arrived from R&L Carriers. After plugging in one loose connection my machine is playing perfectly out of the box. Attached pic is curbside delivery.
I haven't had any issues with the pop up mechs.
Awesome game!

Congrats on the new game! Its always nice to see no or little box damage! R-L seems to be a good and patient pinball carrier over all.

#461 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I played hobbit at Allentown and hated it. I'm hoping it can be tweaked as it felt horribly slow. I ended up feeling bored while playing. I really hope the games at the show where not set up right.

All 4 at the show are not set up correctly. The pitch needs to be 7. The flipper power needs to be set at 24 to 25. I think Joe has them at 22. Make these changes and the game plays fast and i love it.

#462 7 years ago

My pitch is 6.5 and factory settings on all coils, plays great.

#463 7 years ago

6.5 degrees & factory makes it so you can't backhand the main ramps, unless you hit a lucky/amazing shot.

I strongly suggest leaving coils on default!

#464 7 years ago

I guess everyone will dial their game differently.

I like the game to play fast so will set it up to be just that.

#465 7 years ago

I've had my SE for over a month now, as others have said there is nothing quite like it, can't think of another game to even compare it too in terms of either playfield layout or game rules.

Even in it's current 1.01 state it is already insanely involved, I'm at a loss to imagine what it will eventually evolve into, the term epic may be quite insufficient!!

What I'm most impressed by though is the display and the audio, simply in a different league from anything else out there and I include WOZ in that, they have upped it big time on TH. I find it hard to get into some of my beloved DMD games because they just don't have the eye/ear impact by comparison.

#466 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

All 4 at the show are not set up correctly. The pitch needs to be 7. The flipper power needs to be set at 24 to 25. I think Joe has them at 22. Make these changes and the game plays fast and i love it.

Why in the world would Joe not set them up correctly? This has to have a negative impact on JJP's sales. If a game is displayed and plays horrible, does anyone think this can help sales? It's almost better to not have a game.

Was Rob Zombie dialed in? It played fast, but something felt off?

One of the Ghostbusters had a gate issue as well. The Ghostbusters HEMI had was the best playing game at the show.

#467 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Why in the world would Joe not set them up correctly? This has to have a negative impact on JJP's sales. If a game is displayed and plays horrible, does anyone think this can help sales? It's almost better to not have a game.
Was Rob Zombie dialed in? It played fast, but something felt off?
One of the Ghostbusters had a gate issue as well. The Ghostbusters HEMI had was the best playing game at the show.

Great question. Not sure why????? Even WOZ was set with weak flipper power. I set my hobbit power up and it plays great. If I had not played the hobbit or WOZ and tried them at the show, I would not buy them based on that experience. GB was fun but it's not for me.

#468 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Out of the box I had similar feelings, I didnt understand the game, I didnt know what I was doing, game felt off.

Skyemont has it right, the games were setup factory, but not fun! I have also found out with a lot of testing, and making assessments after each adjustment and then numerous plays.

The pitch makes a huge amount of difference in this game, not only in regard to the speed of play, but in the over-all feel.

7 degrees, flippers at 25 is fast and furious, ramps are easily made from clean or cradled shots, Not slow or boring at all, but you might get a lot of air balls if the flippers are set too high. Balls can fly off the wireforms. Flipper fatigue is a lessor issue on long games.

6.5 degrees or less flippers at 22 can be super smooth but a little bit floaty on missed shots. Ramps are hard to make even if the PF is freshly waxed, very few air balls, game behaves but seems docile, doesnt have a crisp rewarding feel. Flippers at 22 can feel fatigued on long games. Ball speeds can be too slow to register the ring save without nudging.

My game is currently set at slightly less than 7 (6.85 degrees?) flippers at 25. Game plays aggressive, balls stay on the wireforms, less air balls during multi-ball, ramps can be made from either flipper from a cradled position. flipper fatigue is felt less on longer games, game feels crisp and rewarding.

A huge part of the game is managing the ramps. You have to be able to make them consistently to select or reject the modes, from either flipper.

One of the things that makes pinball fun is the ability to fire the ball fast if needed, flipper settings are key to this.

#469 7 years ago

Do any of you guys that have received your machines have the playfield protector on it? I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to order it or not and just wanted to get some opinions from those that got them.

#470 7 years ago

Out of the box I had similar feelings, I didnt understand the game, I didnt know what I was doing, game felt off.
Skyemont has it right, the games were setup factory, but not fun! I have also found out with a lot of testing, and making assessments after each adjustment and then numerous plays.
The pitch makes a huge amount of difference in this game, not only in regard to the speed of play, but in the over-all feel.
7 degrees, flippers at 25 is fast and furious, ramps are easily made from clean or cradled shots, Not slow or boring at all, but you might get a lot of air balls if the flippers are set too high. Balls can fly off the wireforms. Flipper fatigue is a lessor issue on long games.
6.5 degrees or less flippers at 22 can be super smooth but a little bit floaty on missed shots. Ramps are hard to make even if the PF is freshly waxed, very few air balls, game behaves but seems docile, doesnt have a crisp rewarding feel. Flippers at 22 can feel fatigued on long games. Ball speeds can be too slow to register the ring save without nudging.
My game is currently set at slightly less than 7 (6.85 degrees?) flippers at 25. Game plays aggressive, balls stay on the wireforms, less air balls during multi-ball, ramps can be made from either flipper from a cradled position. flipper fatigue is felt less on longer games, game feels crisp and rewarding.
A huge part of the game is managing the ramps. You have to be able to make them consistently to select or reject the modes, from either flipper.
One of the things that makes pinball fun is the ability to fire the ball fast if needed, flipper settings are key to this.

Your setup is exactly like mine. Plays fantastic.

#471 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Do any of you guys that have received your machines have the playfield protector on it? I'm on the fence as to whether I'm going to order it or not and just wanted to get some opinions from those that got them.

Personally Im not a fan. It will indeed protect the game, but so does partial Mylar. It will reduce but not eliminate dimpling.

For home use its not necessary, I think for heavily routed games, It makes sense.

One thing hat has come up is dust getting under the protector, grinding into the clearcoat and being difficult to remove without a big tear-down.

Also the game plays differently, plays slower, but the ball might go over the mech flaps and roll-overs better.

#472 7 years ago

Streaming now! New unreleased code V1.10

https://www.twitch.tv/texas_pinball

#473 7 years ago

I saw Texas_Pinball titled the stream as an LE with version 1.10 code. I didn't know if that was a typo or a new version. I hope my game ships with the latest version. I'm not so good at updating memory.

#474 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Hey Ed,
Just caught the end of the stream where Kim scored massive. Arkenstone modes not in there yet? Didn't see any modes lit up

#475 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

I saw Texas_Pinball titled the stream as an LE with version 1.10 code. I didn't know if that was a typo or a new version. I hope my game ships with the latest version. I'm not so good at updating memory.

New code sent to the game owner just prior to the stream. Not my game so I know very little about the code, modes, etc. I will ask the game owner to chime in and try to answer questions.

#476 7 years ago
Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Broadcast is already over, I'm watching the reply of it though. Thanks for putting that up .

#477 7 years ago

#478 7 years ago

#479 7 years ago

I listened the video and the guy said they are now running 1.10 and one of the new modes was Feast Frenzy... Is this new?

#480 7 years ago

Looks like they also fixed the interrupted jackpot call outs. No more 'JACK'
I think i heard another jackpot call out possibly not from Gandolf?
Sounded like Thorin but I don't think so

#481 7 years ago

Anyone have spec's on the size of the box?

Just figuring out if I need a trailer or if it will fit in the back of my mazda tribute (same as a ford escape).

Normal non-box pins fit fine with a bit of clearance on the top and heaps of side clearance.

#482 7 years ago

30x31x57.5in

#483 7 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I guess everyone will dial their game differently.
I like the game to play fast so will set it up to be just that.

After experiencing more modes, I'm now convinced you need to be able to hit either ramp with each flipper.

At 6.5 pitch and factory settings, it is extremely hard to backhand a ramp. There just isn't enough time to post pass during timed modes.

Time to dial up the flipper strength!

#484 7 years ago
Quoted from xsonics2k2:

After experiencing more modes, I'm now convinced you need to be able to hit either ramp with each flipper.
At 6.5 pitch and factory settings, it is extremely hard to backhand a ramp. There just isn't enough time to post pass during timed modes.
Time to dial up the flipper strength!

7 pitch and 25 strength you can hit the ramps with ease. I asked the programming team about 1.10 code and they said it was still being tested. I told them Texas Pinball Streaming was playing with 1.10 and he was confused how, it's not released.

#485 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

7 pitch and 25 strength you can hit the ramps with ease. I asked the programming team about 1.10 code and they said it was still being tested. I told them Texas Pinball Streaming was playing with 1.10 and he was confused how, it's not released.

Any news on more callouts and voices?

#486 7 years ago

Not that I am aware of. The 1.10 code does has Feast Frenzy multiball which is new with new sounds. Watch the Twich Stream above.

#487 7 years ago

Smaug 11 has arrived...though work prevents me from getting her unboxed until the weekend. Will be a long week waiting to get home.

#488 7 years ago

WOW! Congrats!

Nice to see they spelled "Smaug" correctly!

And I see that you have a cool number sticker on the box instead of the regular stamping.

You might have all the tweaks and fixes that have been rumored to be available.

Im anxious to se if there are any differences on your game.

(I had to wait a week to unbox my WOZ...It was all I could think about for a week)

#489 7 years ago

WOW! Congrats!
Nice to see they spelled "Smaug" correctly!
And I se that you have a cool number sticker on the box instead of the regular stamping.
(I had to wait a week to unbox my WOZ...It was all I could think about for a week

Just like you spelled see correctly..

#490 7 years ago

Ouch, caught me between edits, thanks for catching this, my typing is terrible

#491 7 years ago

My game pitch is just slightly under 7 degrees.

I have a couple hundred plays on my game now (7 weeks of NIB ownership).
Last night I had trouble making ramps with backhand shots. I upped the flipper power but it didn't help.

I put the PF in the lower maintenance position and checked the flippers.

Flipper coils were very warm, but not burning hot, as I had been running it for a hour straight.
There was no binding in anything, springs were perfect.

EOS switches needed adjusting a little, mostly to close a little farther up.
The coil stop screws had loosened a little on both mechs (half a turn to a full turn), I tightened them up (no blue Loctite yet) the mounting screws were slightly loose like a half a turn. Ill check it in a couple hundred more plays and probably Loctite these like on my other games.

I reset the flipper power to 25, started a game, and WOW! WAY more powerful than ever!

Played a game, put 1.5 million on the board, and had the best game ever!

I don't think the problem was flipper fatigue per se....

So, I guess if you are constantly raising the flipper power, and it doesn't work or give the desired result, tune up the flippers a bit?

#492 7 years ago

My game pitch is just slightly under 7 degrees.
I have a couple hundred plays on my game now (7 weeks of NIB ownership).
Last night I had trouble making ramps with backhand shots. I upped the flipper power but it didn't help.
I put the PF in the lower maintenance position and checked the flippers.
Flipper coils were very warm, but not burning hot, as I had been running it for a hour straight.
There was no binding in anything, springs were perfect.
EOS switches needed adjusting a little, mostly to close a little farther up.
The coil stop screws had loosened a little on both mechs (half a turn to a full turn), I tightened them up (no blue Loctite yet) the mounting screws were slightly loose like a half a turn. Ill check it in a couple hundred more plays and probably Loctite these like on my other games.
I reset the flipper power to 25, started a game, and WOW! WAY more powerful than ever!
Played a game, put 1.5 million on the board, and had the best game ever!
I don't think the problem was flipper fatigue per se....
So, I guess if you are constantly raising the flipper power, and it doesn't work or give the desired result, tune up the flippers a bit?

Thanks for that. Good to know for when my game gets here, hopefully next month.

#493 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Smaug 11 has arrived...though work prevents me from getting her unboxed until the weekend. Will be a long week waiting to get home.

Really looking forward to some photos of the unboxing and your first impressions.

#494 7 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

Really looking forward to some photos of the unboxing and your first impressions.

Me too! Another tease...and new code dropped today! Woohoo!

#495 7 years ago

When I download the patch from JJP site onto the thumb drive, is the slot to install the thumb drive in the same location as WOZ?

#496 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

When I download the patch from JJP site onto the thumb drive, is the slot to install the thumb drive in the same location as WOZ?

Yes, but it may have dropped behind the cash box on the left.

#497 7 years ago

Just tried update and it isn't working for me. It says it is starting and then reverts to "coin door open" screen. Checking version confirms it is still 1.01, not 1.10

#498 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Just tried update and it isn't working for me. It says it is starting and then reverts to "coin door open" screen. Checking version confirms it is still 1.01, not 1.10

That sucks. Call Frank at JJP.

#499 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

Just tried update and it isn't working for me.

Download file and put on your desktop. Extract ( unzip ) it to your USB stick. Go to game with game turned on and put USB stick in cable. Go to Utilities and go to USB Update and hit enter. Screen does the update progress, may go off, after awhile it should game up then remove USB stick and you are good to go.

If you did this, maybe you got a bad download ? Start over and try again.

It's a big delta update, takes awhile to download and awhile to put on USB stick.

LTG : )

#500 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Download file and put on your desktop. Extract ( unzip ) it to your USB stick. Go to game with game turned on and put USB stick in cable. Go to Utilities and go to USB Update and hit enter. Screen does the update progress, may go off, after awhile it should game up then remove USB stick and you are good to go.
If you did this, maybe you got a bad download ? Start over and try again.
It's a big delta update, takes awhile to download and awhile to put on USB stick.
LTG : )

Is the update the exact same way WOZ is done?
For my future reference.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 806 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-club-members-only/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.