(Topic ID: 39177)

The Hobbit cabinet artwork revealed - what do you think ?

By PinballSTAR

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Tomcat
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    hobbitart.jpg
    image.jpg
    hobbit_rap.jpg
    239.jpg
    vicki-grossed-out-at-gs-vm.png
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Jersey Jack Pinball has released the Hobbit cabinet artwork. Email us at PinballSTAR Amusements if you would like to see it. We are an authorized Jersey Jack Pinball Distributor.

Pricing for the Hobbit is also going up on 2/15 next week from $ 7,500 to $ 8,000 - get your order placed now before then and save yourself $ 500. The Hobbit LE models will sell out. Don't get left out like all of those who are now looking for a WOZLE and can't find one or are paying thousands more than they sold for originally.

We are also taking orders for the WOZ standard model getting ready for those to start shipping to customers hopefully before the end of March ! Stay tuned.

Orders for both WOZ and The Hobbit will go towards the fund PinballSTAR Amusements has set up to purchase a WOZ and donate the game to a Children's Hospital. Get a great game and do something good at the same time !

Joe Newhart
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    [email protected] (Sales AT PinballSTAR DOT com)
    570-357-0042
    www.PinballSTAR.com

#3 11 years ago

thanks for posting link eggbert52 i forgot in my excitement !

#4 11 years ago

Sure do prefer the look to WOZ but it seems they are very similar designed art wise, still happy.

#5 11 years ago

Not blown away. I think they should have put some images of Smaug on there, maybe even some trolls. I guess we are only seeing one side, so they could be on the other side.

#6 11 years ago

Looks good. Not a fan of the "Motion Picture Trilogy" line though.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Not blown away. I think they should have put some images of Smaug on there, maybe even some trolls. I guess we are only seeing one side, so they could be on the other side.

I posted this in another Hobbit art thread but I don't think JJP would be allowed to reveal Smaug yet.

#8 11 years ago

I was first put off that the cabinet was done only using pictures from the first movie, but then I saw that the entire cabinet wasn't shown or possibly wasn't even done yet. I would hate for the game to say it is based on the motion picture trilogy and not have any art or content from the 3rd movie.

#9 11 years ago

vicki-grossed-out-at-gs-vm.pngvicki-grossed-out-at-gs-vm.png 239.jpg239.jpg

#10 11 years ago

I think it looks phenomenal!

However, and I hope someone form JJP is reading this..you need to add a drop shadow behind the word HOBBIT with an opacity of 75% so that it is easier to read over the image in the background. Other than that..Awesome.. love the gold theme and legs.

#11 11 years ago

Cabinet artwork looking nice so far, have to see how the backglass art changes when the time comes.

#12 11 years ago

I thought it was awesome. Trying to imagine it clear coated like the WOZ cabinets.

What a companion it would make if you had a LOTR.

LTG : )

#13 11 years ago

Ok why have the bubbling cauldron without the three cave trolls, nitpicking but it seems silly and just used to fill space. Lazy JJP.

#14 11 years ago

Sort of like this..

hobbit_rap.jpghobbit_rap.jpg

At least that is what I would do if I were the designer for this badboy..

#15 11 years ago

If it weren't for my daughter,I'd dump WOZ & throw the $ at Hobbit in a second!!

#16 11 years ago

It's a bit collage-y, like WOZ ...but that seems to be common for licensed pinball artwork these days. Do we know if it's "Photoshop" or "painted" (in Photoshop lol)? Even though it was theoretically a good idea to have Jerry paint the WOZ cabinet - his style is so hyper-real it might as well have been assembled & painted in Photoshop....I don't think anyone would have known the difference. Anyway - I'd personally prefer a more dynamic scene w/ a few characters and more interesting composition vs. "lets stuff as many characters and scenes onto the cabinet as we can" ...but at the end of the day, it's nice enough. I'm more interested in what the GAME itself is like...but we won't see that for a while.

#17 11 years ago

I think it looks really good.

#18 11 years ago

It's missing Gollum too, they could have knocked this out of the park, the more I look at the more I think "LAZY". Fortunately we dont play on the side of the cabinet so on to more positive things the legs look nifty in gold.

#19 11 years ago

A bit too busy. LOTR is better.

#20 11 years ago

Let the LOTR vs. Hobbit comparisons begin...

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Do we know if it's "Photoshop" or "painted" (in Photoshop lol)?

I was wondering this myself.

#22 11 years ago

Hand painted? Funny.

#23 11 years ago

The people who make comments about "photoshop" don't really know much about it

Photoshop is used for a multitude of things. If what you are saying is that it is just a random collage of movie stills thats one thing (and it's not) but its another to use photoshop as a drawing platform with a proper tablet.

#24 11 years ago

I think it looks bich'n!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 11 years ago

I think for an early render it looks very slick.
    The LCD really gets me thinking about how JJP games will have a much richer connection to the license than any other pin has. Being able to show the actual full Motion picture clips draws you deeper into the theme than ever before. Hopefully this will be true for the original themes as well, this pinball platform has such amazing creative possibilities.

#26 11 years ago

Looks pretty cool to me. Of course if I owned it, it would be sitting 5 inches away from another game and I'd never see the sides anyway

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

The people who make comments about "photoshop" don't really know much about it
    Photoshop is used for a multitude of things. If what you are saying is that it is just a random collage of movie stills thats one thing (and it's not) but its another to use photoshop as a drawing platform with a proper tablet.

If you're referring to Greg I'm pretty sure he knows about Photoshop. He was making a joke. But yes, we're wondering if it's hyper real original art or photos/stills.

#28 11 years ago

I think it is a lot darker than most recent cabinet art. I like the art I just do not like the color scheme for the trim. As for the game I am hoping to play WOZ soon so I can decide if I want to buy the next JJP machine. Cannot wait to see more updates but want to play game 1 first for many reasons.

#29 11 years ago

Very similar to LOTR.

#30 11 years ago

isn't it supposed to be wrap around art left to right, with the 2nd and 3rd movie not yet shown,,so far so good

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

It's missing Gollum too, they could have knocked this out of the park, the more I look at the more I think "LAZY". Fortunately we dont play on the side of the cabinet so on to more positive things the legs look nifty in gold.

Looks like he might be on the front of the machine (bottom left possibly).

#32 11 years ago

Well, first impression is same dark gold/blue as LOTR but better resolution..
    Obviously much more to be revealed... no view of right side of cabinet.. and of course pf.
    Will look fantastic right next to my LOTR... both in gold trim..
    So glad I waited for this game...and took up on Hobbit LE..

#33 11 years ago

Very nice, machine is going to be beautiful

#34 11 years ago

Looks great but it's still bs that the price goes up before a playfield design is released.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Looks great but it's still bs that the price goes up before a playfield design is released.

Don't look at it as the price going up. It's an early pre-order discount that's going away!

It's refundable for many months yet, so anyone who winds up disliking the eventual layout can get all their money back.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Don't look at it as the price going up. It's an early pre-order discount that's going away!
    It's refundable for many months yet, so anyone who winds up disliking the eventual layout can get all their money back.

Good point Dan.

#37 11 years ago

I think the only way I can afford it is if my WOZLE can be sold for the price of TH. These games are getting way over my price range, and we are not getting much of a discount for tying up our money that long.

#38 11 years ago

Care very little about cab art but I think it looks nice and would compliment WOZ in a lineup. Look forward to avoiding future updates.

#39 11 years ago

looks great to me!

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

If it weren't for my daughter,I'd dump WOZ & throw the $ at Hobbit in a second!!

You don't play the cabinet. Wait until you see the playfield before doing anything crazy.

Quoted from RobT:

A bit too busy. LOTR is better.

Quoted for truth!

The cabinet looks decent so far, but yeah... Too busy. Color scheme-wise it will fit nicely next to LOTR though. Hopefully with time they'll refine it a bit more. Doesn't matter much overall. In the end the most important part is the playfield. Will be interesting to see how that turns out.

#41 11 years ago

I must be in a negative mood, I clicked on a link thinking the cab would be plastered with your preorder money

It looks okay. A little busy upon initial inspection (lots of different scenes, characters of wildy different sizes etc...).

I don't play the sides of the cabinet, so at the end of the day it is moot.

#42 11 years ago

I like it. Not enough to add $7500 to my mortgage. But I like it. Hmmm. wait a second.... I could actually 'sell' something out of my collection to fund this..... But then I would be out a pin for bare minimum of 12 months.. ( like I dont have plenty to play right now, LOL)

But if I was going to get a jjp title, I would be down with the hobbit more than woz just theme for theme.

#43 11 years ago

I like it, but I want to see the other side of the cabinet.

#44 11 years ago

The Hobbit theme does not appeal to me at all, however it seems obvious they are trying to appeal to fans of LOTR, because the cabinet artwork sure looks a lot like Stern's LOTR.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

exactly what i was thinking, different like lotr.
    i like the artwork, chrome with this game will look crazy!

#46 11 years ago

My thoughts, it's a fantastic start and sold of its the final artwork for one side, I suspect the artwork will change over time till the 2nd half is completed. I recall with WOZ the cabinet graphics went through an extensive approval process to get where they finally did, I believe the same will hold true with this license agreement as well. Like WOZ, it has a story telling theme on the cabinet artwork, good/evil - left/right, I'm sure the other half will be pretty dark, trolls and all. With still a year + away I'm pretty damn excited...

#47 11 years ago

I just wonder if it'll be the"must have mate"to LOTR,or: its to much unlike & you should only have one,or the other? Ill wait a couple years & decide then.

#48 11 years ago

I'm fairly certain Jack wouldn't even be able to show it if it wasn't approved already. That's not to say it won't have changes over the next year+.

#49 11 years ago

Posted on the village boards and figured I would share. Take it up with K7 if you have issues

hobbitart.jpghobbitart.jpg

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from gdeleon:

The Hobbit theme does not appeal to me at all, however it seems obvious they are trying to appeal to fans of LOTR, because the cabinet artwork sure looks a lot like Stern's LOTR.

You do know that The Hobbit and LOTR are from the same book series right? With the same people and storyline I expected it to look very similar to LOTR.

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-cabinet-artwork-revealed-what-do-you-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.