book-9.jpg
book-8.jpg
book-7.jpg
book-3.png
book-5.jpg
book-6.jpg
book-4.jpg
book-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm reading and I'm trying really hard to bite my tongue. Honestly .. who knows, maybe the book really is a placeholder and there will be an lcd or something else?
I actually like the book though! A nice little nod to Tolkien. I just think the book should be smaller and placed in a much less prominent place.

I think the switches below the book say "switch mode". If so, I'll wager the book will be replaced with an LCD screen that displays the mode you're on in the form of a page. Hit the switches to flip the pages right and left.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

Can they at least start from the first page like normal people.

If you think of each mode as a chapter in the book, then it makes sense to start in the middle because the two targets to switch modes will move you forward and backwards through the book.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The problem with an LCD screen is that the location of the book is in prime "air ball" territory. They would need to have a sneeze guard or some type of protective shield to protect the screen. I don't even think "Gorilla glass" would hold up all that well to a steel ball. Plus, a digital screen lacks the timeless charm of a regular book. My guess is that an LCD screen was considered but the idea was tossed out when discussing the pros/cons and the costs involved.

It probably wouldn't be too difficult to put the LCD inside the book with a plastic protector over it.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

I really hope they don't go with an lcd in its place. An lcd serves zero purpose other then to say "hey, we put another lcd on the playfield". I can't see anything from the movies that they would be reprsenting with an lcd (it was an ingenious idea with replicating the crystal ball in WOZ.) There is nothing you can show on the lcd that you can't show on the main lcd. They would be much better off creating some other scene or setting (the shire, Bag Ends, whatever) from the movies. Plus, that lcd would just take a pummeling. Not creative at all.
Edit: I really can't afford to buy this game anyway, but if I could, an lcd would just seem silly to me. Completely unimaginative. However, If you are buying the game and an lcd excites then that is great.

I disagree. The big LCD in the back box is great for the people who are watching you play and for the brief moments (like the start of multiball) where you can look up to admire the animations.

A smaller LCD on the playfield that is always in view of the player would be great to describe modes, give instructions, show status, etc...

I would much prefer this than some static toy. Best of both would be a small model of Bilbo's house with the LCD in place of the door. It could even show a picture of the closed door when it's not doing anything else.

I think a model like the munchkin huts in WOZ is right in Matt's wheelhouse.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

You really think there is a big difference between looking at a tiny lcd on the upper playfield and looking up just a little bit more at the 22" lcd in front of you? Honestly? You think one is easier to look at than the other? Especially when a pinball is whizzing around the playfield? Have you played a WOZ? There is nothing shown in the crystal ball that helps you in the game (and I don't recall even looking at it to be honest ... although I admit it's still really neat.) The point is .. what significant prop from the movies are they recreating with a tiny lcd on the playfield and why can't you just move your eyes up a little further to the 22" lcd?

I own WOZ. The Crystal ball is cool but the image is small, you have to look at just the right angle to see it clearly and it's placement in the lower left area puts it out of the direct line of sight.

When I play, I would say I'm usually focused on the middle of the playfield. If I raise my head to see which Haunted mode I'm on in WOZ, I risk losing the ball.

So yes, I think a larger 3"-4" lcd in the Bag End location would work really well for providing information without having to take your eye too far off the ball (if at all).

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I was thinking bag end would be a nice toy and LCD. I had imaged that it would Bilbo's house (nice green door and gold doorknob, but would allow the programming to open (or slide the door away and expose an LCD inside - you would be able to see Bilbo and the dwarves/Gandalf walking around/talking etc. Kind of a cool effect - not interactive but just a cool toy. The mini LCD screen would be visible through the door and round looking.
The LCD would be blocked from direct hits by the doorway tunnel as to not take a direct hit. The thought I had is similar to the TRON Legacy pin TRON arcade mod that has the attract mode running on the arcade machine. Doesn't interact with the game, but is a real cool effect.

It would be easy to put a plastic shield in front of the display and if the display depicted the door, then they could use animation to open and close it without any fancy mechanics.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jvspin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-book-toy?tu=jvspin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.