book-9.jpg
book-8.jpg
book-7.jpg
book-3.png
book-5.jpg
book-6.jpg
book-4.jpg
book-1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraZ4Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

CraZ4Pin has not chimed in on this thread yet? I'm starting to get concerned. I'm going to start calling hospitals!

I'm reading and I'm trying really hard to bite my tongue. Honestly .. who knows, maybe the book really is a placeholder and there will be an lcd or something else?

I actually like the book though! A nice little nod to Tolkien. I just think the book should be smaller and placed in a much less prominent place.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

If you think about it, the book makes no sense. It serves no purpose, blocks the view into some nice looking pops, and most certainly adds some cost to the build.
Those of us who were along for the ride during WOZ know that Jack likes to throw curve balls. He is a consummate showman, and like all good showmen likes to save something for the last. I don't think we have seen the final version of this game yet.

Anything is possible!! However, if this is the case .. I would chalk this up to even yet another very poor business decision. People are considering pulling their orders and jumping to TBL or Wrath of Olympus or several other options. Why would you wait nearly 2 years ... until expo .. arguably the biggest pinball week of the year, to hold back on something awesome like an lcd there and instead intentionally disappoint people with the book? Why would you not WOW folks in every way you possibly can? What would be the point of holding back for just 2 more months?

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from toyboy6:

I think CraZ4pin has been a bit over the top with his distain for JJP lately, but I actually like the idea he presents here. The book itself is not bad, but would be better served if scaled down and located in a better location (maybe mounted over the top of the shooter lane so as the pinball is launched it is symbolic of beginning your journey).
Scott

Thank you. I think.

Actually, what you describe is exactly what I was thinking. Something on the size of the Toto figure in Ruby Red WOZ, and right over the shooter lane. That would be a nice little touch.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Perhaps the rationale is put the book in - if people like it (or are ok with it) we are done. If they aren't happy we tweak a bit more. People will be buying THLE for the next year. If they show an improved model in a few months they will get more sales from people that my have decided not to.

Possibly. Or it's possible the toy that goes there (lcd or otherwise) still has issues that have not been worked out thoroughly (it just wasn't ready in time for expo). That could be the same reason they put a standard lockdown bar on this game instead of with the button (perhaps that mech still has issues being worked out.)

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

TH was never announced as a single LE model. The LE was just announced first. And there is still just one LE.

No and NO!! Lie. There was absolutely a discussion on the JJP Google forum regarding why folks should pre-order Hobbit LE in case there would be another "special" edition down the line. Jack absolutely did state something to the effect that he wouldn't do it again, the 75th WOZ edition was a unique case, and there would be only the one limited edition for Hobbit. I would so go find that discussion on the Google forum if I was still on there (and if Jack hasn't now deleted it.)

And the Smaug Edition is absolutely a limited edition. How can you possibly consider it anything else? You have only until December 31 to order one ... that's IT ... after that they will not make another one. How can you not consider that "limited"?

Excuses excuses excuses ...

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

......all though i havent heard anyone complain that keiths the same programmer on the second game

There should be a better title than "programmer". There should be a standard title like "Lead Rule Architect" or something. Because there are other programmers beyond Keith (I think) and it's really more his architecting of the rules that we appreciate than the actual programming.

Just another random thought.

#85 9 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm convinced the expo version of TH is not the final Playfield build. Based on the following points...
1) Jack specifically stated during the presentation that the area between the speakers was a placeholder, and vaguely mentioned it could be a camera at some point, while basically avoiding the question. So there are definitely areas that are not finalized yet (such as the out-of-place book).
2) jack also stated that the central ramp diverter acts as Smaugs tail, but it sure doesn't look like a tail in this build. Further proof that all has not been revealed yet.
3). To me, the areas in the back left & right corners of the playfield are completely barren. It just doesn't look like it's finished. They could add more mountains by smaug, waterfalls by the poppers, more gold, more smaug body parts, anything really. I'd be super surprised if they didn't maximize that space. And who wants to see the bare metal parts of the ramp diverters by smaug? I bet all of those back ramps get covered up.
Even with the concerns of the playfield appearance, I haven't wavered one bit about my preorder. The code, lighting, targets, sounds and total package has incredible potential. Especially when the 3rd movie assets are added. They're not done with this design by a long shot IMO.

Could be completely true, all good points. However, I would only caution against getting your hopes up. I just don't see how it would be wise to hold back so much on your "big reveal" that people have been anticipating for nearly 2 years. And with all the hype of "just wait until Expo!" ... why would you not show almost everything? I think there are a few small things yet to show up which will be somewhat cool. Just don't expect the other 50% of the playfield to show up, you know?

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Bostonbuzz:

It's obvious the game shown at the Expo was not a completed version rather one with just enough going on to satisfy the minions without infringing on any licensing agreements. From what JJP has been saying all along only so much can be shown and no pin to be shipped before the third movie hits the theaters. The Expo pin was missing a few things like the fire button on the lock down bar, whatever goes into the empty space between the speakers and the five inch LCD. People upset about the 'book' really? Anyone think that's not just a temporary place holder? It will probably end up on the pin but where? Maybe over the shooter lane like Toto on WOZ?
IMO...the finished product is much closer than many may think and I believe they will be able to start shipping finished product on time. Time will tell if I'm talking out my a** but I doubt it highly.

Again ... could be completely true. But why not just make a simple statement to that effect? Why on Earth would you just let so many of your customers feel a bit sick and upset right now? That just seems terrible. If there are elements tied to the 3rd movie that can't be revealed yet ... please don't make a silly statement later that you weren't allowed to say "there are other toys coming" or "there are certain things that are just placeholders right now" because the licensor wouldn't allow you to say something sooner.

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

If nothing changes I would be out - but I don't think that is the case. There will be more, but will it be enough?

Where do you think they can fit more under here? Everything seems accounted for ... and no room left? Those target mechs (and pop-up toys) take up a lot of space I think. No wonder there are so many fewer inserts than WOZ.

The new design/solution for the light boards? Just eliminate all those lights! I kid, I kid.
underside.jpgunderside.jpg

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'd be out, too, but I'm in for the long haul. Of course, if I hate it I'll just sell it to CraZ4Pin since I know he secretly wants one but is too cheap to buy NIB.

I'm gonna hold you to that, lol. It's no secret .. I want one! I just don't think it's worth the current price though (just my opinion) and I really don't want to do business with JJP directly. I would seriously be pulling my hair out right now (again) dealing with this.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

It is supposed to have them though isnt it?

The brochure only mentions a "player-controllable orbit subway". Whatever the heck that is (a new definition of a "subway"?) I think in early designs they did show a couple of subways (one leading from the Smaug area in particular) but it appears those were not able to be fit into the final game.

#141 9 years ago
Quoted from bmunn1:

Or they decided to cut costs.

Or they "had" to cut costs. Reality may be sinking in. Nearly 4 years in business now? High startup costs? High operating costs? Thinking you could have an unlimited BOM cost as long as you sold thousands of games? Perhaps there was a reality check on how much they could do? At the end of the day .. if you want to keep producing great games, your business must be solvent.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not trying to stir up the TBL shit pot here, because I really think it's a beautiful machine. But can somebody explain to me how the book toy differs from the white Russian drink in TBL. Both non-functioning toys (as far as I know), but DP gets a pass and JJP gets whalloped. And you can say the book looks like ass and out of place, and I can agree with that. But it's still just *there* like the drink is.

I guess because the drink is slightly smaller, cooler looking, not right in the middle of the upper playfield, not considered one of the "toys" in the game (there are plenty others in TBL), and it's something directly from the movie?

I do think the book may well get replaced, however .. so yes, let's see what changes get made to that area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CraZ4Pin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-book-toy?tu=CraZ4Pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.