Topic Stats

• 194 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

305652b.jpg
303471-i.jpg
compare_UP.jpg
facehuggers for everyone.jpg
cyclops.jpg
boob job.jpg
book-7.png
book-10.jpg
book-9.jpg
book-8.jpg
book-7.jpg
book-3.png
book-5.jpg
book-6.jpg
book-4.jpg
book-1.jpg

There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Excuse my lack of Hobbit knowledge apparently but what the hell is a 'Bag End'?

It's the "house" where Bilbo lived.

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_End

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not trying to stir up the TBL shit pot here, because I really think it's a beautiful machine. But can somebody explain to me how the book toy differs from the white Russian drink in TBL. Both non-functioning toys (as far as I know), but DP gets a pass and JJP gets whalloped. And you can say the book looks like ass and out of place, and I can agree with that. But it's still just *there* like the drink is.

The White Russian is a flourish next to a ramp. TBL has a lot of cool interactive toys. The hobbit is pretty sparse and the book is in a prime position and is static.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from Santeh:

I sincerely hope you are right, yet I have no confidence at this point with anything else major on TH. To this end, I hope that I am wrong.

There is no time to change anything major at this point. With production slated to start two months from now, I can't see how they can manufacture it in this time frame.

#154 4 years ago

As I first saw the book i thought cool they came up with a book that will turn through a few pages as the story goes...What a great toy!

Now that I knew it don't do anything it seems like a waste of space, unfortunately.
But then again it could be much worse.

#155 4 years ago

well...

let's toss it on the list of worst books ever

book-3.png
book-4.jpg

book-1.jpgbook-2.jpegbook-3.jpgbook-5.jpgbook-6.jpgbook-7.jpgbook-7.pngbook-8.jpgbook-9.jpg

book-10.jpg

#158 4 years ago

facehuggers for everyone.jpg
#159 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

LCD screen (approximately 5")

They're going to put a Myst linking book there.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not trying to stir up the TBL shit pot here, because I really think it's a beautiful machine. But can somebody explain to me how the book toy differs from the white Russian drink in TBL. Both non-functioning toys (as far as I know), but DP gets a pass and JJP gets whalloped. And you can say the book looks like ass and out of place, and I can agree with that. But it's still just *there* like the drink is.

The White Russian is basically a really cool flasher, that ties directly into the targets under it. It doesn't feel random and out of place or like it's blocking anything. People like to mod that flasher on Simpons with the beer mug, same kind of idea.

I don't think anyone hates the book in and of itself, it's just that it's sitting there, doing nothing, where there was hope that something cool would be.

If there was a section of There and Back Again targets on the side, where you had to collect different parts of Bilbo's adventure, and then the book lit up over them, people would probably think it was cool. Well, the book needs work, it's on page one and open to the middle and the art on it is boring, but you know what I mean.

#161 4 years ago

Maybe it'll have turning pages with cool artwork on them...

#162 4 years ago

Well of all the idea/things they could have put in that area (from a 9 hour fantasy adventure trilogy like The Hobbit), the last thing I would expect to find is a book. They could have gone so many different ways.

#163 4 years ago

Exactly. That's why it's not staying there.

#164 4 years ago

I do hope that the Bag End area will be something smart and cool. It's obvious that the book is not going to be in the final product.

#165 4 years ago

Quoted from spfxted:boob job.jpg 54 KB

You Sir are going to hell for that.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Maybe it'll have turning pages with cool artwork on them...

No...

that's what you'd EXPECT them to do!

#167 4 years ago

Jack just confirmed on the JJP forum that the book is a placeholder.

#168 4 years ago

Great thanks for posting.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Where is the JJP forum? Is it separate to Pinside?

#170 4 years ago

For those registered with JJP who have purchased a WOZ or TH. Most stuff seems to end up over here anyway, but just a forum for owners to share ideas/gameplay/tech stuff without all the usualy distracting comments.

Seems Jack's only mistake is not to state at expo that that game is NOT the final product - just a preview. Please don't bother to list any other mistakes, not needed. More book covers, thanks for the laughs.

#171 4 years ago

Told ya it was a linking book.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It is now...

#173 4 years ago

I see that as a win-win either way though. Either it's been intended as a placeholder all along, great to hear, they already have a plan, or they took the feedback and are making it right while they still can. So whether he's just saying it now or it has been the plan all along, I don't think it matters as long as if they get the end result right.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from Dalbok:

I see that as a win-win either way though. Either it's been intended as a placeholder all along, great to hear, they already have a plan, or they took the feedback and are making it right while they still can. So whether he's just saying it now or it has been the plan all along, I don't think it matters as long as if they get the end result right.

Agreed. Either you care about the game, and making it better, and are happy to hear about changes and improvements, or you just like twisting the knife on JJP. I don't want to drag anyone down, I just want the best game we can get.

I don't care if it was always planned as a placeholder (I personally think it was, and the only mistake was not just leaving that area black with a COMING SOON sign or something) or if he's just trying to listen to his customers. Frankly if it's the latter how could that possibly be seen as a problem? You want him to admit it or something or you won't let it go?

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I really hope they don't go with an lcd in its place. An lcd serves zero purpose other then to say "hey, we put another lcd on the playfield". I can't see anything from the movies that they would be reprsenting with an lcd (it was an ingenious idea with replicating the crystal ball in WOZ.) There is nothing you can show on the lcd that you can't show on the main lcd. They would be much better off creating some other scene or setting (the shire, Bag Ends, whatever) from the movies. Plus, that lcd would just take a pummeling. Not creative at all.

Edit: I really can't afford to buy this game anyway, but if I could, an lcd would just seem silly to me. Completely unimaginative. However, If you are buying the game and an lcd excites then that is great.

#176 4 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

I really hope they don't go with an lcd in its place. An lcd serves zero purpose other then to say "hey, we put another lcd on the playfield". I can't see anything from the movies that they would be reprsenting with an lcd (it was an ingenious idea with replicating the crystal ball in WOZ.) There is nothing you can show on the lcd that you can't show on the main lcd. They would be much better off creating some other scene or setting (the shire, Bag Ends, whatever) from the movies. Plus, that lcd would just take a pummeling. Not creative at all.
Edit: I really can't afford to buy this game anyway, but if I could, an lcd would just seem silly to me. Completely unimaginative. However, If you are buying the game and an lcd excites then that is great.

I disagree. The big LCD in the back box is great for the people who are watching you play and for the brief moments (like the start of multiball) where you can look up to admire the animations.

A smaller LCD on the playfield that is always in view of the player would be great to describe modes, give instructions, show status, etc...

I would much prefer this than some static toy. Best of both would be a small model of Bilbo's house with the LCD in place of the door. It could even show a picture of the closed door when it's not doing anything else.

I think a model like the munchkin huts in WOZ is right in Matt's wheelhouse.

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

I disagree. The big LCD in the back box is great for the people who are watching you play and for the brief moments (like the start of multiball) where you can look up to admire the animations.
A smaller LCD on the playfield that is always in view of the player would be great to describe modes, give instructions, show status, etc...
I would much prefer this than some static toy. Best of both would be a small model of Bilbo's house with the LCD in place of the door. It could even show a picture of the closed door when it's not doing anything else.

You really think there is a big difference between looking at a tiny lcd on the upper playfield and looking up just a little bit more at the 22" lcd in front of you? Honestly? You think one is easier to look at than the other? Especially when a pinball is whizzing around the playfield? Have you played a WOZ? There is nothing shown in the crystal ball that helps you in the game (and I don't recall even looking at it to be honest ... although I admit it's still really neat.) The point is .. what significant prop from the movies are they recreating with a tiny lcd on the playfield and why can't you just move your eyes up a little further to the 22" lcd?

#178 4 years ago

I was thinking bag end would be a nice toy and LCD. I had imaged that it would Bilbo's house (nice green door and gold doorknob, but would allow the programming to open (or slide the door away and expose an LCD inside - you would be able to see Bilbo and the dwarves/Gandalf walking around/talking etc. Kind of a cool effect - not interactive but just a cool toy. The mini LCD screen would be visible through the door and round looking.

The LCD would be blocked from direct hits by the doorway tunnel as to not take a direct hit. The thought I had is similar to the TRON Legacy pin TRON arcade mod that has the attract mode running on the arcade machine. Doesn't interact with the game, but is a real cool effect.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

You really think there is a big difference between looking at a tiny lcd on the upper playfield and looking up just a little bit more at the 22" lcd in front of you? Honestly? You think one is easier to look at than the other? Especially when a pinball is whizzing around the playfield? Have you played a WOZ? There is nothing shown in the crystal ball that helps you in the game (and I don't recall even looking at it to be honest ... although I admit it's still really neat.) The point is .. what significant prop from the movies are they recreating with a tiny lcd on the playfield and why can't you just move your eyes up a little further to the 22" lcd?

I own WOZ. The Crystal ball is cool but the image is small, you have to look at just the right angle to see it clearly and it's placement in the lower left area puts it out of the direct line of sight.

When I play, I would say I'm usually focused on the middle of the playfield. If I raise my head to see which Haunted mode I'm on in WOZ, I risk losing the ball.

So yes, I think a larger 3"-4" lcd in the Bag End location would work really well for providing information without having to take your eye too far off the ball (if at all).

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I was thinking bag end would be a nice toy and LCD. I had imaged that it would Bilbo's house (nice green door and gold doorknob, but would allow the programming to open (or slide the door away and expose an LCD inside - you would be able to see Bilbo and the dwarves/Gandalf walking around/talking etc. Kind of a cool effect - not interactive but just a cool toy. The mini LCD screen would be visible through the door and round looking.
The LCD would be blocked from direct hits by the doorway tunnel as to not take a direct hit. The thought I had is similar to the TRON Legacy pin TRON arcade mod that has the attract mode running on the arcade machine. Doesn't interact with the game, but is a real cool effect.

It would be easy to put a plastic shield in front of the display and if the display depicted the door, then they could use animation to open and close it without any fancy mechanics.

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I read that they would be making changes but I could not find where he said the book was a placeholder and would be going. Hopefully I am wrong.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

I read that they would be making changes but I could not find where he said the book was a placeholder and would be going. Hopefully I am wrong.

Since it's public knowledge now I can confirm that the book is a placeholder. I can't confirm it's not going somewhere else on the playfield or not, but it's not gonna be there.

#183 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Since it's public knowledge now I can confirm that the book is a placeholder. I can't confirm it's not going somewhere else on the playfield or not, but it's not gonna be there.

Interesting Aurich, very interesting....

You're not holding information back on us are you?

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Can you confirm whether it was always a placeholder or did it just turn into one?

The more I watch the latest video of the younger kid (Josh Henderson?) playing the game, the more I like the layout and shots (despite the pointless third flipper.) The layout combined with the rules will be just awesome! However, the fun "look and feel" of the game just isn't there at all. The aesthetics and artistic detail are completely absent. There is simply no fixing Smaug, and worse then Smaug is the block wall when hidden. What was the artist thinking with that blob? Anyway .. I hope they can get a lot of artistic details added and liven this baby up! I know this isn't a very clear picture of the upper pf of Hobbit, but I do think it's very telling that one game draws your eyes in and one seems bland and boring.

compare_UP.jpg

#185 4 years ago

Who would have thought a recent Stern title would be more colorful than a recent JJP title?

I'll bet the hobbit gets a little more colorful in the final. I think the hobbit them is going to make heavy use of copper, silver, gold metals - but the playfield, toys, and lights need to scream colors!

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Who would have thought a recent Stern title would be more colorful than a recent JJP title?
I'll bet the hobbit gets a little more colorful in the final. I think the hobbit them is going to make heavy use of copper, silver, gold metals - but the playfield, toys, and lights need to scream colors!

Agreed! I mean, manufacturer aside, both of these themes are not exactly bright and cheery. But this is pinball and it's meant to be fun!! TWD shows that it is possible to add all kinds of color and artistic detail and make that happen. Hopefully they can do the same with Hobbit.

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

You're not holding information back on us are you?

I watched Sopranos, I'm not going against people from Jersey!

#188 4 years ago

Sorry, posted in wrong thread, post moved to the "help improve hobbit" thread

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from OldPinster:

Can you confirm whether it was always a placeholder or did it just turn into one?

What difference does it make? The end result is they are correcting it & making their customers happy.

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

For those registered with JJP who have purchased a WOZ or TH.

Hmmm, I pre-ordered TH when it was first announced. I'm not aware of this forum. Linky?

#191 4 years ago

Having read the book and seen both of the movies I am surprised that a book is even contemplated as a toy for this machine. Most of the story in the movies isn't in the book. I would have thought the licensor would have wanted to distance itself as far as possible from the book to avoid obvious and unflattering comparisons.

#192 4 years ago
Quoted from phlegmer:

Hmmm, I pre-ordered TH when it was first announced. I'm not aware of this forum. Linky?

send an email to Jen and she will provide the access and link

Jen@jerseyjackpinball.com

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Having read the book and seen both of the movies I am surprised that a book is even contemplated as a toy for this machine. Most of the story in the movies isn't in the book. I would have thought the licensor would have wanted to distance itself as far as possible from the book to avoid obvious and unflattering comparisons.

If people are such big fans of The Hobbit that they're complaining about the movie, they're either such big fans that they'll want to play the machine, or they're such book snobs that they won't touch anything related to the movies.

Plus, "The Hobbit" book is written by Bilbo in the story, so it makes sense.

#194 4 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

If people are such big fans of The Hobbit that they're complaining about the movie, they're either such big fans that they'll want to play the machine, or they're such book snobs that they won't touch anything related to the movies.
Plus, "The Hobbit" book is written by Bilbo in the story, so it makes sense.

but... the Book snobs will get a book in the pin, so should be tickled pink

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
£ 58.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
$ 50.00
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 12.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Concord, CA
$ 279.95
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington, WV
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 399.95
$ 189.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
$ 21.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside