book-9.jpg
book-8.jpg
book-7.jpg
book-3.png
book-5.jpg
book-6.jpg
book-4.jpg
book-1.jpg
There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

What is it? Is it just a static toy there for aesthetics or something yet to be?

I was hoping for a small LCD screen that would display scenes from the movie to show where your at on your journey.

What are your thoughts, ideas or mods for this toy?TH Book.jpgTH Book.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Why does the story start in the middle of the book? That must be a heck of a long prologue.

#3 9 years ago

The book toy and the coloring of the 3 targets look out of place. I thought for sure we were going to be seeing an LCD type toy in this area. Personally I thought it was going to be Bag End and the door would open to reveal the LCD behind it. Sadly that doesn't appear to be the case I was expecting more from JJP in this area.

Here's kinda what I thought the Bag End toy would look like.

bag end.jpgbag end.jpg

#4 9 years ago

So Bilbo starts writing not on page one but in the middle of the book, riiiight.

Whoever is responsible for the book should think again about that concept...

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The book toy and the 3 targets look out of place. I thought for sure we were going to be seeing an LCD type toy in this area. Personally I thought it was going to be Bag End and the door would open to reveal the LCD behind it. Sadly that doesn't appear to be the case I was expecting more from JJP in this area.

Me too!

#6 9 years ago

I'm sure that's the "untold" epic adventure that will be made into another trilogy that happened before The Hobbit

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The book toy and the coloring of the 3 targets look out of place. I thought for sure we were going to be seeing an LCD type toy in this area. Personally I thought it was going to be Bag End and the door would open to reveal the LCD behind it. Sadly that doesn't appear to be the case I was expecting more from JJP in this area.

This is spot on. My guess is this will be an early mod by someone. Maybe something like the TSPP TV mod?

#8 9 years ago

It's Bilbo's high school year book.

#9 9 years ago

This is the worst thing on the machine and the most disappointing. It's out of place, an eye sore and like I have said in other threads it looks like a quick fix. Obviously something else was planned for this area and was cut due to budget and time.

I really hope that this area of the game is re-done and a new prop or mold is put in it's place before production starts. There are so many cool creatures and scenes from the films to pick from and the book was chosen it's uninspiring and an overall disappointment.

I feel that JJP wont go to bat to get this changed do to the license issues, but for me it's really worth the fight to get something else in it's place. It's in such prime real estate and is a wasted opportunity.

#10 9 years ago

If the rumored LCD toy is not coming I rather see 3 or 4 more drop targets in that area with just a stationary Bag End model above it. At least the drops would do something gameplay wise and a Bag End model toy would look much better then the book.

I understand that the area can be modded but for the price of the game it should be more impressive / interactive out of the box.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

What is it? Is it just a static toy there for aesthetics or something yet to be?
I was hoping for a small LCD screen that would display scenes from the movie to show where your at on your journey.
What are your thoughts, ideas or mods for this toy?

Yup, I just got in on a Hobbit pre-order and I will be working on modding my LCD into the game. That book if I can. If not then somewhere else on the play field.

Heres a link to my current mod: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-tz-tv-mod-w-beautiful-video-playback

#12 9 years ago

I think it'd be cool if the book had blank pages and there was a small projector inside (either front or rear projection) that showed pages being written and drawings coming to life.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

Yup, I just got in on a Hobbit pre-order and I will be working on modding my LCD into the game. That book if I can. If not then somewhere else on the play field.
Heres a link to my current mod: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-ish-tz-tv-mod-w-beautiful-video-playback

That's totally what my buddy and I thought this toy initially was. If you can mold the screen into where the picture is, I'd be all over it!

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

That's totally what my buddy and I thought this toy initially was. If you can mold the screen into where the picture is, I'd be all over it!

yup that would be the plan, as soon as I have more info on size and whatnot I can look into it further. So if someone has more details on dimensions, that would be great.

Else I will have to wait until me (or someone around me) gets the machine. Or maybe if I can get a peak at it at an expo before then.

#15 9 years ago

Ok, on this one... I agree. I don't think the book looks good at all. I just think they could have done better.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

What are your thoughts, ideas or mods for this toy?

I didn't think much at first becasue your picture has no scale. I just saw Skypilot's picture though, and this thing looks freaking horrendus...it's massive.

303826-i.jpg303826-i.jpg
#17 9 years ago

My mom would always yell at me that "Books are not toys!".

Respect.

#18 9 years ago

You could make a replica of a miniature Amazon Kindle to bring "The Hobbit" into the 21st Century

#19 9 years ago

TH first pinball to actually get modded by removing stuff....that book has to go.

#20 9 years ago

This is one instance when you can judge a book by its cover.

#21 9 years ago

The book looks like it blocks the view of the cool barrels. The book can become a topper once removed.

#22 9 years ago

The book really blocks those cool looking pop bumpers, too. Seriously, they could screw ANYTHING else to that area and it'd be better.

#23 9 years ago

Page 2 of the book describes how to obscure views in pinball games.

#24 9 years ago

Agree, the book hides the some of the nicest topper ever put on a pin IMO

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I didn't think much at first becasue your picture has no scale. I just saw Skypilot's picture though, and this thing looks freaking horrendus...it's massive.

303826-i.jpg 55 KB

Ugh. At this point I wish they would replace the 3 stand up targets below it with 3 or 4 drop targets or at the very least replace the book with a model of Bag End. The book looks out of place and odd in this game.

#26 9 years ago

It'll be a perfect place for a tiny screen playing the movie vids or some other mod spot. No game is perfect...

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

The book really blocks those cool looking pop bumpers, too. Seriously, they could screw ANYTHING else to that area and it'd be better.

Agree. I thought the barrel models would have been up higher. Even if the book was replaced by a Bag End mode the barrels could have been placed higher with a spacer or just by making the barrels longer.

#28 9 years ago

Those big VUK casings should be replaced with wireform.

#29 9 years ago

Looks like somebody bought a X-mas ornament, glued it to the game, and is selling it on ebay.

#30 9 years ago

It looks to me that they built this one with a calculator. Not so with WOZ. Bummer!!

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Those big VUK casings should be replaced with wireform.

Agree. Wireform VUK's would look much better in this game.

Here's one from LOTR

vuk_LOTR.jpgvuk_LOTR.jpg

#32 9 years ago

Instead of the book how about putting the ring on the mantle, or his sword? Something with a lower profile. Or do a hobbit hole door and add spacers to the barrels behind.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

It looks to me that they built this one with a calculator. Not so with WOZ. Bummer!!

Next time someone is in Jack's messy office check around and see if you can locate a calculator. I have a hunch you may be correct on this one

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

Sadly I feel the same way. Jack mentioned something last night about not building a game with a calculator and how the WOZ team took that literally and then something was said about TH. It was something along those lines but it sounded like build of materials cost was more important this time.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sadly I feel the same way. Jack mentioned something last night about not building a game with a calculator and how the WOZ team took that literally and then something was said about TH. It was something along those lines but it sounded like build of materials cost was more important this time.

+1000

#36 9 years ago

Not that it matters, but the more I see of this title the less I like it. I should note, I felt the same way about WOZ until I played it.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Agree. Wireform VUK's would look much better in this game.
Here's one from LOTR
vuk_LOTR.jpg 197 KB

and would still fit the esthetics of this game as well. Also provide better visibility to the back barrels which look nice - and be cheaper to build?

#38 9 years ago

CraZ4Pin has not chimed in on this thread yet? I'm starting to get concerned. I'm going to start calling hospitals!

#39 9 years ago

He called and said he is still pissed off

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

CraZ4Pin has not chimed in on this thread yet? I'm starting to get concerned. I'm going to start calling hospitals!

I'm reading and I'm trying really hard to bite my tongue. Honestly .. who knows, maybe the book really is a placeholder and there will be an lcd or something else?

I actually like the book though! A nice little nod to Tolkien. I just think the book should be smaller and placed in a much less prominent place.

#41 9 years ago

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm reading and I'm trying really hard to bite my tongue. Honestly .. who knows, maybe the book really is a placeholder and there will be an lcd or something else?

Whew. Okay, just don't scare us like that again.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well the good thing is they have Keith Johnson to save there ass, you know he will kill it in the code department. KP needs a raise ASAP.

#44 9 years ago

KIETH JOHNSON for president!!!!!!! He would figure out how to cure Ebola and smoke Isis at the same time with a multiball.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I actually like the book though! A nice little nod to Tolkien. I just think the book should be smaller and placed in a much less prominent place.

Mark this on your calendar: I agreed with CraZ4Pin on something.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I think the switches below the book say "switch mode". If so, I'll wager the book will be replaced with an LCD screen that displays the mode you're on in the form of a page. Hit the switches to flip the pages right and left.

#47 9 years ago

If you think about it, the book makes no sense. It serves no purpose, blocks the view into some nice looking pops, and most certainly adds some cost to the build.

Those of us who were along for the ride during WOZ know that Jack likes to throw curve balls. He is a consummate showman, and like all good showmen likes to save something for the last. I don't think we have seen the final version of this game yet.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from fuko:

If you think about it, the book makes no sense. It serves no purpose, blocks the view into some nice looking pops, and most certainly adds some cost to the build.
Those of us who were along for the ride during WOZ know that Jack likes to throw curve balls. He is a consummate showman, and like all good showmen likes to save something for the last. I don't think we have seen the final version of this game yet.

Dude I'm hoping you are right. There's no way they think the book is a good idea

#49 9 years ago

I don't see the lock bar button in the Expo prototype. With that missing this game can't be the final build. I don't think it is in the pictures of the expo cab I have seen.

#50 9 years ago

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more the book doesn't make sense at all. I really think it's a placeholder. Looks like two pieces of paper were thrown on top of a model and screwed to thin plywood. It's totally prototype-looking. I still think we may be in for an LCD there, like others have said.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-book-toy/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.