(Topic ID: 193092)

The Hobbit - Attempt Backstab still unknown?

By goldant

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Hogbog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Can someone *definitively* say what the attempt backstab button does? These are the two versions I've heard, and I've been unable to prove that any of them work.

http://papa.org/wp-content/uploads/HobbitRulesheet.pdf lists this in red indicating it needs confirmation:

Whenever one or more beasts are above the playfield and the ring button has enabled
“Attempt Beast Backstab” you can press the button to kill (back stab) a beast. This is particularly
useful when you only have the spider or warg left to hit to start Beast Frenzy or if you wish to
hit the shot that a particular beast is blocking.

^ I've never seen a beast drop because I've hit the attempt backstab button.

Via word of mouth I was told:

If you hit the attempt backstab button, and then hit the ball up the opposite ramp the diverter at the top of the ramps will come down and direct the ball into the back of the beast that is standing up.

^ I've never had the diverter ramp activate for this (glass on or off), plus the timing of getting it up the opposite ramp is tricky.

As far as points go, the points look the same regardless of if I press attempt backstab before hitting the beast.

So... what does this button do? We're up to 1700 games on hobbit in our household and still haven't figured it out. I don't think it is supposed to be this big of a mystery.

#2 3 years ago

The 2nd version of what you heard is accurate. Shoot up the opposite shot (right ramp for killing the upper left beast, right orbit for killing the spider, left orbit for killing the Warg, etc) after you have hit the button. If the switches are detected from that ramp/orbit shot, and then the beast is detected, you get the 'backstab'. Beast has to be sensitive enough to register hits from behind. It is worth 2x points, I believe.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Hogbog:

The 2nd version of what you heard is accurate. Shoot up the opposite shot (right ramp for killing the upper left beast, right orbit for killing the spider, left orbit for killing the Warg, etc) after you have hit the button. If the switches are detected from that ramp/orbit shot, and then the beast is detected, you get the 'backstab'. Beast has to be sensitive enough to register hits from behind. It is worth 2x points, I believe.

You're right, it does work. Are all beast hits generic or is there a specific "hit from behind" switch on the beasts? I managed to get a backstab (difficult because of the timing of getting the ball to the other flipper or stopping it) I didn't see a larger score. I'll keep trying.

Thanks!

#4 3 years ago

There is no specific "hit from behind" switch. The face switch has to be adjusted so that it is sensitive enough to read a hit from behind.

Glad you got it to work!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside