(Topic ID: 252246)

The Hobbit and all it's different incarnations?

By MurphyPeoples

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by cscmtp
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0D453C15-855D-4D2C-B078-ACC587EC5E32 (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Would someone please explain to me the differences between
The Hobbit Standard
The Hobbit LE
The Hobbit Smaug
The Hobbit Black Arrow editions?

I might have even left one out! lol
I want to purchase one in the near future, and need to be educated on the differences.
Bless the individual who bothers to reply.
Murph

#2 4 years ago

All the playfield are the same I believe. It's really just cosmetic and personal preference. Black arrow has a black ball I think in captive ball. Black arrows are still available nib, but others can be found at great prices. My preference is the LE with more character art, but smaug edition is sweet to. Any are great.

#3 4 years ago

LE and Smaug have hammered powered coated armour. Looks incredible, extremely high quality. Probably the nicest factory powder coat on a pin. Black Arrow does not, just flat paint. Standard has stainless steel armour.

#4 4 years ago

Think of all but the standard as variations of LEs.

So for the LEs they included things like Invisiglass and probably the shaker. I'm sure there was more but I'm forgetting.

Radicals, super-duper extra shiny and heavy weight side art were a $400 option even for the LEs.

#5 4 years ago

You can pick up a used Smaug edition for $6000-$6500. I sold one for that price. Personally I think it’s the best looking version.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

You can pick up a used Smaug edition for $6000-$6500. I sold one for that price. Personally I think it’s the best looking version.

$6500 - $7000 seems more in line with the average pricing. Sure there's been some quick sales closer to $6k but average price is above that.

#7 4 years ago

Hobbit looks and sounds amazing- here’s a few of the last sales on pinside. Good prices

0D453C15-855D-4D2C-B078-ACC587EC5E32 (resized).png0D453C15-855D-4D2C-B078-ACC587EC5E32 (resized).png
#8 4 years ago

Graphics, armor colors, black arrow has one black ball and a very very small amount of code difference meaning a splash screen.
There's literally nothing overly special from one version to the next. Just make sure it's running the latest code and has all the hardware fixes and get ready to go on an adventure.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Yep, I purchased my Smaug for 6K and my buddy snagged an LE for 5.7K. They’re a hard sell at much beyond 6K.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Yep, I purchased my Smaug for 6K and my buddy snagged an LE for 5.7K. They’re a hard sell at much beyond 6K.

One sold here locally not to long ago for $7200. Condition (HUO versus routed) and location impacts pricing as well. $6500 - $7k is still the average price range for a perfect HUO game.

Lowest priced sales don't automatically equal the new average pricing.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Would someone please explain to me the differences between
The Hobbit Standard
The Hobbit LE
The Hobbit Smaug
The Hobbit Black Arrow editions?
I might have even left one out! lol
I want to purchase one in the near future, and need to be educated on the differences.
Bless the individual who bothers to reply.
Murph

Play Field is the same on all of them just have different cabinet artwork, powder coat, and other cosmetic things my personal favorite is the Smaug edition.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

One sold here locally not to long ago for $7200. Condition (HUO versus routed) and location impacts pricing as well. $6500 - $7k is still the average price range for a perfect HUO game.

Both of the games I referenced were purchased HUO with less than 200 plays. I’ve had mine for over a year so maybe the market has rebounded some? Though, a base game was advertised in the classifieds of our local paper for $5,799 around June. For reference, my home is an hour from NYC and Philadelphia, and 15 minutes from JJP.

I happen to enjoy the game, but most of my guests become underwhelmed and move on to another machine after seeing the Smaug clips a few times.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You're right, it's all relative. I've paid it a bit of attention and my recollection is that the machines selling in the low $6s were all routed at some point, however briefly.

One thing the OP has going for him is the fact that since the pins started shipping three years ago there's probably folks like me that have gotten to the point where it's getting to be time to shake things up and thus they are ready to sell.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

LE and Smaug have hammered powered coated armour. Looks incredible, extremely high quality. Probably the nicest factory powder coat on a pin. Black Arrow does not, just flat paint. Standard has stainless steel armour.

Black Arrow's have gloss black hammered powder coated armour and all playfield fixes.

#15 4 years ago

The LE and Smaug also have;

-molded barrel pop bumpers
-gold Smaug (vs red on standard)
-moving axe on slings

I assume the Black arrow has these as well but I’m not 100% sure.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

You can't state truths that Hobbit has tanked because current owners will get upset. You have to say its the greatest pin ever and worth more than it is. lol

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

You can't state truths that Hobbit has tanked because current owners will get upset. You have to say its the greatest pin ever and worth more than it is. lol

I’m an owner, but I think a lot of folks are in denial on pricing. Any toy that is still worth half of what you paid is a good deal in my book.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

-gold Smaug (vs red on standard)

Red on LE’s as well

#19 4 years ago

Most of the differences between the pins are cosmetic. Molded barrels, Smaug, armor, decals. The moving axe / sword on the slings is the only mechanical difference I recall. I owned the standard and never felt like I was missing much vs the upgraded models. It’s is all personal preference and some people really like the cosmetic differences. For me, i typically go for the standard / pro models unless the differences are drastic (so I have some more $ for additional pins). That being said, LE versions can be found around the same price as some of the standards I have seen. I have seen prices vary widely based on location and it does seems that the standard version is harder to find than the LE in the used market.

#21 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the answers!
I guess I figured there must be differences like "the monkey is missing on the Yellow WOZ", etc.
And with the wildly varying prices I've been seeing, it seemed like there must be SOME differences. But just cosmetic is fine by me! : )

#22 4 years ago

Sold a smaug gold recently for 6800 and know of a few others that sold for 6600-7200. Its a lot of pin for the money and the new code is amazing. I really enjoyed the pin while i had it and the new owner and his family absolutely love it.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

My black arrow has a hammered or textured powder coat on the armor. I have a GOTLE that has shiny smooth black powdercoat. They are definitely different.

#24 4 years ago

Black Arrow is the most exclusive with 750 released. Not sure if it's the Smaug or LE but one has 1500 released and the other has an undisclosed number released.
Possible that Black arrow will hold value a smidge better for that reason. I paid a little more for mine than i wanted to for that reason (could have got an LE cheaper).

1 year later
#25 2 years ago

Love reading this old post the game goes for 9500-10500 now lol

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Love reading this old post the game goes for 9500-10500 now lol

Wish I had bought 1 back then. I made offers on a couple and backed away thinking that at 6K I might not get it all back if/when I sold!

#27 2 years ago

Believe I bought my huo Smaug for 6K and I thought I paid too much.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Believe I bought my huo Smaug for 6K and I thought I paid too much.

You did, game blows

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-and-all-it-s-different-incarnations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.