New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 281589)

The “hey I’m coming to your town, what should I eat” thread

By Chisox

16 days ago

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by romulusx
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 20 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F830E9B2-FA63-43C5-9A93-BF832E762179 (resized).jpeg
    61A05761-B324-45C3-A452-D1E1E9ED81A7 (resized).jpeg
    17892D83-81C8-47F3-8B1F-FE87784DC902 (resized).png
    576F86E8-B129-44C2-8EAB-2A7BAEC6536E (resized).jpeg
    5BD2F33E-77F2-47CE-8D51-203DEE568EEC (resized).jpeg
    620A8906-C521-4DAB-B138-E885D2AE1C6E_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    unnamed (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpeg
    E4741CCB-5171-4D66-8CD4-78BAFB5A558F (resized).jpeg
    413454DC-E76F-4A04-B426-11F5436DC438 (resized).jpeg
    03C98189-3669-4CD8-9C69-725C05AC12A0 (resized).jpeg
    235B9615-F2BD-44DA-B6AD-0FFD5DCE1160 (resized).jpeg
    39630877-3747-4E5F-A514-AC8B0FADA946 (resized).jpeg
    EC00C718-0B53-4674-A28F-1F3EAF0D3EF7 (resized).jpeg
    e60d341702ff0c5328843a25ba7d7be6 (resized).jpg
    _MG_3400.0.0.1508370006 (resized).jpeg

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 16 days ago

So I was just stuffing my face with a delicious combo sandwich from Portillo’s while scrolling Pinside (weekends have lost their lustre) and thought “man there’s so many people who will never know how great this sandwich is”. So what would you recommend someone to eat that’s somewhat unique and a must have from your general area? My usual response is the aforementioned Italian beef/sausage combo sandwich with hot peppers (or giardiniera) from Portillo’s (I prefer Mr Beef or Johnnies but chances are Portillo’s will be closer). It’s a ridiculous brick of thinly shaved garlicky beef surrounding a perfectly grilled link of Italian sausage with some pickled hot peppers drizzled with some au jus. When I travel I like to ask the hotel bartenders where they like to go to drink and eat and they’ve never steered me wrong. What do you say locals?

#2 16 days ago

A really good Italian beef sandwich is probably my favorite meal .... dipped with sweet peppers!

#3 16 days ago

Here you have to try St. Louis style thin crust pizza with toasted ravioli on the side. Many restuarants will offer this, but close to me Mike Duffy's is good. If you want take out/delivery pizza do Imo's (local chain). Our main go to for pizza is Dewey's, another local chain. If you are a BBQ fan definitely find a Sugar Fire, it's also a local chain. Their BBQ is solid, but they win with the sides. For Mexican/Tex Mex I love Canyon Cafe, Hacenda, and Mission Taco (local chain).

#4 16 days ago

Love me some Portillo’s!!! Went to Chicago Land show a couple years ago and we ate there every day. Need one here in Houston!

So many good restaurants in and around Houston the list is too long. It will be forever changed though because of the pandemic....many places have closed and some may not survive. Sucks!!!

#5 16 days ago

Old town drive in: coney w/ onions. Nothing else like it anywhere.. kind of a sweet sauce that pairs well w/ the white onions. I’ve been addicted my whole life.

#6 16 days ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Old town drive in: coney w/ onions. Nothing else like it anywhere.. kind of a sweet sauce that pairs well w/ the white onions. I’ve been addicted my whole life.

What is a coney? Sausage?

#7 16 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Here you have to try St. Louis style thin crust pizza with toasted ravioli on the side. Many restuarants will offer this, but close to me Mike Duffy's is good. If you want take out/delivery pizza do Imo's (local chain). Our main go to for pizza is Dewey's, another local chain. If you are a BBQ fan definitely find a Sugar Fire, it's also a local chain. Their BBQ is solid, but they win with the sides. For Mexican/Tex Mex I love Canyon Cafe, Hacenda, and Mission Taco (local chain).

I’ve had the fried ravioli down there (good stuff) but my daughter fought me on the pizza (she heard from friends it was weird) so we got burgers.

#8 16 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I’ve had the fried ravioli down there (good stuff) but my daughter fought me on the pizza (she heard from friends it was weird) so we got burgers.

The pizza is definitely different. Besides the very thin crust, the cheese is different. It's a made up blend only found here. It's thin so slices are cut into squares instead of pie shaped. Besides the yummy cheese, the best part is they F'ng load the pizzas with toppings and each piece isn't so filling, so you decemate the whole pizza.

Oh, BTW, the ravioli is not fried, it's toasted. But really it is breaded and deep fried.

#9 16 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

A coney is a hotdog with chili. If you are in Cincinnati get it with Cinci chili, cheese, mustard, and onions if you are into that.

One of the best local things to eat in Cincinnati is goetta for breakfast. It is sausage, oats, and spices. Made originally to make the sausage last longer, it has become a Cinci staple.

#10 16 days ago
    Quoted from thirdedition:

A coney is a hotdog with chili. If you are in Cincinnati get it with Cinci chili, cheese, mustard, and onions if you are into that.
    One of the best local things to eat in Cincinnati is goetta for breakfast. It is sausage, oats, and spices. Made originally to make the sausage last longer, it has become a Cinci staple.

Nice! My daughter goes to school in Oxford and that Cinci coney sounds awesome. I looked up goetta and it looks just like scrapple from Philly which I’ve had and enjoyed very much. Thanks!

#11 16 days ago

Any time I'm traveling I always try to ask locals what is good. Unfortunately more times than not they recommend a chain restaurant. Italian Beef might be my favorite out of all the regional things I've tried. Boston is such a mixed bag, I'm not sure that anything defines it. I'd probably say a lobster roll.

#12 16 days ago

if you’re in MA make the drive to Ipswich and go to woodmans for some fried clams

#13 16 days ago

Couple favorites here — hot mamas pizza in Capitol Hill has THE best slices hands down. Unhealthy and huge as hell but so freak’n delicious!

Classic go-to is Cuban sandwiches at paseos— they have 2 locations now and are a little different since switching from cash only and opening the sodo location.. but still pretty delicious. I’d hit the Fremont location.

Tats sub /delicatessen downtown has huge sandwiches that are pretty amazing.

There’s some excellent food tucks as well.. at least one with fluffy tacos that are beyond amazing. Don’t know if those are a ‘thing’ everywhere or not but they should be!!

#14 16 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Chili sauce for a hot dog. A hot dog w chili sauce is a coney dog. Could be regional slang? Not sure, but it’s delicious that I know.
    A Detroit style coney is served w/ mustard and onions... that’s good shit too, but here in Saginaw just onions as it’s a different style sauce.

#15 16 days ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Chili sauce for a hot dog. A hot dog w chili sauce is a coney dog. Could be regional slang? Not sure, but it’s delicious that I know.

Nah I looked it up and realized I just had a senior moment. I’m all about the often overlooked chili dogs and the ones described so far sound like they’re money.

#16 16 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

So I was just stuffing my face with a delicious combo sandwich from Portillo’s while scrolling Pinside

Whenever I was up in Chicagoland always made it a point to get Portillos, and tries going to different ones to check out the different building themes since they do them up. Now that they are downstate, I can get it a lot easier. One going up in Springfield about 40 miles away.

Quoted from RyanStl:

If you want take out/delivery pizza do Imo's (local chain). Our main go to for pizza is Dewey's, another local chain. If you are a BBQ fan definitely find a Sugar Fire, it's also a local chain.

Ate all all of those, all good. Imo's is a love it or hate it proposition (I love it, my kids not so much). Not a huge fan of Toasted Ravioli but if you live in the Saint Louis area you will eat it at just about every wedding, corporate function etc. so it will grow on you

Quoted from thirdedition:

If you are in Cincinnati get it with Cinci chili, cheese, mustard, and onions if you are into that.

I always get Skyline Chili when in Cincinnati. I dont think I could eat it everyday but it is good to get a couple of times a year.

Instead of a Coney Dog, in Springfield IL get a Cozy Dog, right on Route 66. Its basically a corn dog, a state fair staple but available year round (sorry no elephant ears or turkey legs though )

#17 16 days ago

We have Portillo's here in AZ. I think all the people who live here that are from IL demanded it or something.

Love the Italian beef with the hot peppers.

Anyways, down here we love tamales. Beef, pork, chicken... red chile or green chile... you can put anything in them, really. We eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Most Mexican restaurants and grocery stores have them.

#18 16 days ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

Any time I'm traveling I always try to ask locals what is good. Unfortunately more times than not they recommend a chain restaurant. Italian Beef might be my favorite out of all the regional things I've tried. Boston is such a mixed bag, I'm not sure that anything defines it. I'd probably say a lobster roll.

I refuse to eat chain when I'm traveling and just look for a local dive or greasy spoon and take my chances. I've run it to some real gems out on the road, and I've been all over the USA. In my neck of the woods, this little dump called Bunn's BBQ is the place to go.

#19 16 days ago

In Philly it's cheesesteaks, of course. Can be had at any pizza shop, avoid the tourist traps like Pats or Genos.

#20 16 days ago

We have a awesome donut shop that's been in business forever. You can go at 7pm and get them fresh right up out of the fryer.... so good they melt in your mouth.
    http://krumpesdonuts.com/

#21 16 days ago

Packos hot dogs and stuffed cabbage

#22 16 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

In Philly it's cheesesteaks, of course. Can be had at any pizza shop, avoid the tourist traps like Pats or Genos.

John's Roast Pork is probably my favorite sandwich shop in the world.

#23 16 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

The pizza is definitely different. Besides the very thin crust, the cheese is different. It's a made up blend only found here. It's thin so slices are cut into squares instead of pie shaped. Besides the yummy cheese, the best part is they F'ng load the pizzas with toppings and each piece isn't so filling, so you decemate the whole pizza.
    Oh, BTW, the ravioli is not fried, it's toasted. But really it is breaded and deep fried.

I lived in St.Louis for a while. A lot of nice food in that town. I used to eat at Sidney street cafe a couple of times a month. The one thing I could never get used to was IMO’s or St.Louis style pizza. I don’t know if they were trying to have a style to compete with Chicago, NY or Detroit. It was just was a bad idea (provel cheese). Most people in the area of St. Louis treated it like marmite. Love it or Hate it. Otherwise good stuff in St.Louis.

#24 16 days ago

Beefy King in Orlando is pretty good. Been going there since the ‘60’s.

531FEDD3-CCFA-4B23-A4CD-80876C4B592C (resized).jpeg
    #25 15 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I almost prefer the roasted pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe. Good lord are those amazing. But yeah, REAL Philly cheesesteaks are bomb. I work with a couple dudes from Philly who bring them back when they go home to visit.

#26 15 days ago

There's a Portillos in Woodbury, MN! It's pretty good!

If you're in Western New York, go to Duff's forn the best wings... I miss them. There is one near Dallas, TX too for some reason. http://www.duffswings.com/ Of course any wing placenin WNY will be better than most places in the rest of the country.

If you're in MN, check out Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter in Stillwater - great German food and they evem have an acordian player sometimes! https://gasthausbavarianhunter.com/

#27 15 days ago

If you are in Mass, Chicopee area onwards, you absolutely MUST go to Bueno Y Sano. Ever since ejacques told me about them when I bought my very first machine from him, I’ve been hooked.
    It’s so damn good it’s criminal.
    The pulled pork burrito is truly incredible.
    I regularly drive 2 hours each way just to get that shit
    In fact... they need to start paying me for how much I advertise them.

If you’re out in the middle of New York, Oneonta, above Binghamton, below Syracuse, go to The Depot and order some Hot Garbage wings.
    Absolutely incredible.

When I head down to Pittsburgh, or Wilkes-Barr, PA, I just cut through NY to get delicious Hot Garbage

#28 15 days ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

There's a Portillos in Woodbury, MN! It's pretty good!
    If you're in Western New York, go to Duff's forn the best wings... I miss them. There is one near Dallas, TX too for some reason. http://www.duffswings.com/ Of course any wing placenin WNY will be better than most places in the rest of the country.
    If you're in MN, check out Gasthaus Bavarian Hunter in Stillwater - great German food and they evem have an acordian player sometimes! https://gasthausbavarianhunter.com/

There's one in Roseville and Maple Grove as well. They are all super close to accounts I go to weekly and I have to stop myself from eating there more than once or twice a month. Sausage/beef combo, hot peppers, extra side of gravy, fries and cheese sauce is my default order, so damn good!

#29 15 days ago

There are a few Portillo's locations in Milwaukee as well. I love me some Lou Malnatis deep dish pizza and the Lou Malnati salad. I lived in San Diego for a stretch and I discovered my lifetime favorite dish there, Carne Asada fries.

#30 15 days ago
    Quoted from I-Closed-Wolskis:

There are a few Portillo's locations in Milwaukee as well. I love me some Lou Malnatis deep dish pizza and the Lou Malnati salad. I lived in San Diego for a stretch and I discovered my lifetime favorite dish there, Carne Asada fries.

Love Lou Malnari and Giordanos - they opened the latter in Minneapolis a few years ago.

#31 15 days ago

In Bloomington IN go to Hinkles Hamburgers. Don’t think about it, just go!!

#32 15 days ago

To expound on my previous post, if you live in or are in the ocean beach area of San Diego and haven't gotten the carne asada fries from "its a taco shop" at 3910 w. Point loma blvd,. You haven't lived your best life. Knibb high football rules!!

#33 15 days ago

Johnsons in Siler City. Consistent award-winning cheeseburgers.
    Second Chris Drive in, as good or better than Johnsons some days.

#34 15 days ago

Come visit. We'll have a plate of Rouladen and a big beer at Freiberg's, then cross the street for some Pinball.

#35 15 days ago

Not my town, but the best corned beef sandwich I've ever had was at Slyman's Restaurant and Deli in Cleveland, OH.

#36 15 days ago

Here in Pennsylvania, literally every county has it's "what should I eat?" fare.
    And in the southcentral region, we're the snack food capital of the world, LOL.

#37 15 days ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Anthonias Taverna on the Hill for Toasted Ravioli and Emo's is so unique with the provel cheese is addictive.
    Sugar fire is excellent my son in Kirkwood is having Thanksgiving this year so we'll be having smoked turkey and key lime pie from Sugarfire.Where can I play some GnR's close by,use to go to Chad Keller for new games

#38 15 days ago
    Quoted from Fezmid:

Love Lou Malnari and Giordanos - they opened the latter in Minneapolis a few years ago.

What about that Nick& Vitto's thin crust pizza?

#39 15 days ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

Not my town, but the best corned beef sandwich I've ever had was at Slyman's Restaurant and Deli in Cleveland, OH.

Slyman's looks de-lish and piled high! Best corned beef sandwich I can find around my area is at Greenberg's Deli in Las Vegas.

Slyman-s-Restaurant (resized).jpg20157753_10211686761099481_61354015812525805_o (resized).jpg
    #40 15 days ago
    Quoted from Charger68:

Packos hot dogs and stuffed cabbage

Now that there are no more Red Wells locations, I hit Packos up for the hot roast beef sandwiches. I usually add a dog as well. Plus full bar service is nice.

#41 15 days ago

Although I dont go there as much as other places, Portillos is still damn good.

Plus, ever since White Castle opened there first single location in AZ, they have taken away some of the long lines from Portillos.

20201114_222019 (resized).jpg
    #42 15 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Jim’s Steaks is my go-to for steaks when I’m in the South Street area. You’ll get the South Street tourist crowd at certain hours but so much better than the “big two.”

Quoted from beergut666:

John's Roast Pork is probably my favorite sandwich shop in the world.

I haven’t been to John’s, but my first roast pork, provolone and broccoli rabe sandwich at DiNic’s in the Terminal Market was a goddamn revelation.

#43 15 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Anthonias Taverna on the Hill for Toasted Ravioli and Emo's is so unique with the provel cheese is addictive.
    Sugar fire is excellent my son in Kirkwood is having Thanksgiving this year so we'll be having smoked turkey and key lime pie from Sugarfire.Where can I play some GnR's close by,use to go to Chad Keller for new games

Awesome, I'm in Kirkwood. I would invite you over, but all I have is a dismantled Baywatch. I'll be doing a Mad Max Turkey on the BGE this year for first time. Anyway, CP's Pinball is a must for anyone in the St. Louis area. Chuck has a GNR, but you need to check his website for when he is open. Typically, only Saturday's.

#44 15 days ago
    Quoted from fuseholder:

I lived in St.Louis for a while. A lot of nice food in that town. I used to eat at Sidney street cafe a couple of times a month. The one thing I could never get used to was IMO’s or St.Louis style pizza. I don’t know if they were trying to have a style to compete with Chicago, NY or Detroit. It was just was a bad idea (provel cheese). Most people in the area of St. Louis treated it like marmite. Love it or Hate it. Otherwise good stuff in St.Louis.

I honestly think pizza styles happen locally on accident really. You have a place trying something different and it really takes off. You are right, St. Louis style is a love it or hate it. Friends I have from New York hate it as much as the Cardinals.

#45 15 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

What about that Nick& Vitto's thin crust pizza?

Vito and Nicks is a good representation of what Chicagoans eat. Thin crust cut tavern style (squares). There are a few places that I like that make pan/thick crust/deep dish like Pequod’s and Louisa’s, but 9 times out of 10 we’re ordering local thin crust. And while I’m at it, I can’t recommend Pequod’s and Louisa’s enough. They’re next level pizza.

#46 15 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

Vito and Nicks is a good representation of what Chicagoans eat. Thin crust cut tavern style (squares). There are a few places that I like that make pan/thick crust/deep dish like Pequod’s and Louisa’s, but 9 times out of 10 we’re ordering local thin crust. And while I’m at it, I can’t recommend Pequod’s and Louisa’s enough. They’re next level pizza.

America’s Test Kitchen has a You Tube vid on how to make Vito&Nic’s
    Pizza.From scratch pizza dough thru freshly ground sausage and sauce.Anyway they turned out great and I learned a few skills along the way.My som and his girlfriend stopped by to eat and asked us where we got the pizza.

#47 15 days ago
    Quoted from SunnRAT:

Although I dont go there as much as other places, Portillos is still damn good.
    Plus, ever since White Castle opened there first single location in AZ, they have taken away some of the long lines from Portillos.
    [quoted image]

I guess I’d forgotten that Portillo’s has branched out west, and in Florida. So much for my regional food thread haha. Well they’ve been around for a while up here and there’s still a 20 car line from open to close in the drive thru and packed inside. I think I’ve ordered everything on the menu and it’s all great.

#48 15 days ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Where can I play some GnR's close by,use to go to Chad Keller for new games

Quoted from RyanStl:

CP's Pinball is a must for anyone in the St. Louis area. Chuck has a GNR, but you need to check his website for when he is open. Typically, only Saturday's.

St. Louis Escape's Pinball Party Room has a GNR LE as well, they have more hours.
    https://www.stlouisescape.com/play-vintage-arcade-pinball/

CP is doing something different during COVID - two separate sessions on Saturday you have to sign up for, I think limited to 30 people each.

#49 14 days ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I almost prefer the roasted pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe. Good lord are those amazing. But yeah, REAL Philly cheesesteaks are bomb. I work with a couple dudes from Philly who bring them back when they go home to visit.

Personally not a fan of the broccoli rabe You guys in Chicagoland have some amazing places like Portillo's, loved their Italian beef sandwich with giardinaire!!

#50 14 days ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

If you are in Mass, Chicopee area onwards, you absolutely MUST go to Bueno Y Sano. Ever since ejacques told me about them when I bought my very first machine from him, I’ve been hooked.
    \e

No kidding?

I am from over that way and used to work for the town allot, I dont remember anything good being in Chicopee.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 150.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Tx Sector Ramp Set Out of stock
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 30.00
    Apparel - Men
    Pinball Haus
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 52.00
    $ 64.95
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 26.95
    $ 219.99
    $ 14.95
    $ 339.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 259.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet Parts
    Troxel Repair
    $ 229.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 195.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    WOZ - OZ lanes Out of stock
    The Art of Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 109.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 95.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside