FullSizeRender-1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2064-1 (resized).JPG
IMG_2076 (resized).JPG
IMG_2074 (resized).JPG
IMG_2069.JPG (resized).jpeg
300C_new 773 (resized).JPG
300C_new 801 (resized).JPG
300C_new 775 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 8 years ago

Congrats Kaneda! Awesome car.

The Hellcat I test drove was white. White looks even better in person. It shows off the lines of the car well.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from pinbum:

I am curious at what kind of warranty do you get on the motor & drivetrain?

5 year 100,000 mile warranty on the 2015's. That's amazing to have that kind of warranty on a 700+ HP motor with a blower on it.

For 2016, they reduced the warranty to 50k miles I believe.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I've also heard after next year they'll stop making Hellcats with this engine and will be downsizing a bit.

Not consistent with anything I've heard. We have a great insider who posts on the Hellcat forum.

Quoted from michiganpinball:

I hear a Cuda is coming...seriously. When they roll out the new rear drive platform cars.

Yep, this rumor has merit. Just a matter of when it will happen. People are clamoring for the 'Cuda, and considering how well Challenger's have sold, it seems like a no brainer.

#98 8 years ago

Fun thread about an awesome car with 707 HP from the factory, and Alex comes in as the biggest buzz kill ever....over window tinting?! WTF?

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Kaneda might as well have a plate that says "FTHPOLCE"

Whew! For a minute there I was worried you might engage in hyperbole!

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I had a S2000 and it was not modified at all, I got pulled over for a rapid acceleration (basically my tires chirped, not a burnout LOL) didn't get a ticket, I don't think they could possibly have given me a ticket for that)

Actually if they wanted to be dicks, yes, they could have given you a ticket for that. It's considered an "exhibition of speed" which is basically a way to ticket you even if you aren't exceeding the speed limit.

#116 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Can you get a manual transmission?

Yes, and they are way easier to get than the automatic 8 speed, which is in high demand and low in supply.

#139 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The only frustration I have with the manual is the clutch release is so high. It's easy to stall as you feel like you're riding clutch to get her going. I've stalled her more in a weekend than I ever did my Shelby.

It really is very high, and it bugged me a lot. It was embarrassing to get in the car for a test drive and stall it going out of the parking lot because of the engagement point being so high.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The reason people don't like you aside from having to be forced to not rip off a kid is your "hey look at me" peacocking.

Pot calling the kettle black?

#245 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

So, in answer to that one, I just shot this video 5 minutes ago, on a nice rainy New Zealand day
» YouTube video
Quick "lol" video of my IS-F accelerating on a wet road, just in Drive with the traction control on, and a soft start. Standard engine, with rear mufflers removed and straight pipes installed. Disclosure ... country area, no houses around, no people within 5km. Safety first people! For others at least
rd

What year is your IS-F Dave?

Been considering looking at Lexus as it might be a bit more practical. My daughter will be getting a car within the year, so I don't know if I want to have two cars (a daily driver and the weekend/sports car) like I have in the past.

Was looking at the Lexus RC F, but if I am going to spend that money, I'd need to look at the M4 as well. Then again, I don't know if either of those is any more practical than a Hellcat would be.

Might consider going with a used one. This looks cool:

ebay.com link: Lexus IS F

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That Blue eBay one looks sweet, but I thought the ISF was like $49,000 new in the U.S.?

It's probably just overpriced. There is no ISF in the current lineup. And I agree about the 2 door thing, which again defeats the purpose of looking for something more practical.

In doing my research for a new car, I did find one that fits what I personally prefer in a sports car: small/lightweight, and a mid engine layout (but not at all practical):

Not sure what I think about it only coming with an auto tranny though.

#257 8 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Hey now I had a 64 Giulia that thing was THE SHIT! Loved it.

Maybe I should just hold out for the return of the Guilia then?!

#264 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Rob what happened? You were all set on the cat! Get it! It's like a demon spawned Nascar for the street. It's not a sports car but it will put a smile on your face like nothing else. In it you feel like you're piloting a star destroyer. It's so much more fun that the light toss able cars I've had.

The Hellcat is not out of the running. But I am slowing down and need to consider all of my options. I'm likely to wait until the first half of next year before buying another car. This will give me the chance to see what the 2016 Hellcat rollout is like, and hopefully the stupid ADM's of $10k to $20k will be gone.

Lightweight sports cars will always be what I enjoy the most, but I've had more than my share of them which is why I am considering a muscle car this time around, like the Hellcat.

#275 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've got a subaru on order...can we talk aboot that or is this 'Merican only?

Which model?

#280 8 years ago

Since we have some WRX / Sti fans here, what do you guys think of the upcoming Focus RS?

345 HP from a 4 banger is pretty damn impressive. Love the fact that it's AWD. Decent gas mileage and 4 doors too, so it's more practical for a daily driver.

#283 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not a ford guy but all reports say that's a bad ass ride. When I got my 02 Subaru were so far ahead of everyone...people now catching up and maybe passing them.

Funny, I'm not a Ford guy either. I've never owned a Ford, including cars that my wife has had.

But the Focus RS definitely has my interest for a daily driver.

#285 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Hopefully they'll have less problems than the focus & fiesta st had/have.

Uh oh. What problems have they had?

#288 8 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

The automatics have had horrible transmission issues... at least the fiestas have....

I was hoping it would be something that has nothing in common with the RS. The RS will not have an automatic offered as an option.

Quoted from kaneda:

Rob I've had a 2004 STi and 2008 STi. The Focus RS is and will be the best AWD bang for your buck, ever. It's a hoot to drive I hear and will be a monster of the line. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will beat a rally car from A to B. The driver confidence you get in an AWD rally car can't be matched by anything. On most backroads, the STi would crush the Hellcat.
Good luck securing a Focus RS though...they are bringing over hardly any of them.

The handling of an AWD car is very confident inspiring! I have driven EVOs and I will never forget what a completely different feel it had compared to a RWD car. At first I actually wasn't sure that I liked it, but that didn't last long at all. So yeah, I agree completely with the term "confidence" that the AWD platform brings.

And adding more HP and Torque over what the older EVO had will really help take advantage of the AWD system and all it has to offer.

I've read about the limited number that will be coming in 2016. More ADM! Ugh. Every single car that I get interested in has dealers marking them up well over sticker: Hellcat, Alfa Romeo 4C, Porsche Cayman GT4, Focus RS.

Does that mean I have good taste in cars? Or the opposite: I go with what everyone else wants?

#290 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

But they are just so goddamn awful inside ... Seats are nice, but the plastic dash, toy clock, Walmart stereo.... Not a nice place to be.

That will suck if that's true. One thing I like about the Hellcat is the fact that Dodge finally did a good job of updating the interior. The prior Challengers interior wasn't very good.

I am glad to hear that it has nice seats though, that's the most important and I can forgive some shortcomings in things like the dash. Stereo's can be replaced, but I probably wouldn't bother in a car like this. I don't expect it to be a quiet car. It comes down to what my priorities are. If I want a super nice interior that's quiet so I can enjoy a nice stereo, I'd probably want a Lexus.

#297 8 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Ouch.
I like my custom interior Rob.
image.jpg image.jpg

I like what you added Rick! I just think the stock interior of the previous Challenger wasn't as nice as what they have now. It needed to be improved and it was.

Quoted from PiperPinball:

I just received my Hellcat yesterday. Took over 9 months to get. But super stoked because I got it MSRP/ no mark up! And it drives like a beast!

Congrats! That's awesome. I know guys who ordered back in November of 2014 and they never got their Hellcat. Now they are in line for a 2016.

#312 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I have to believe they will solve it...otherwise it's just an uglier hellcat charger. Noone is going to pay 65k for 2wd jeep, hellcat or no. I'd heard the price was more like 65k than 85k. I don't think anyone really knows right now...even the dealerships are in the dark.

The thought of having more than 700hp on an AWD vehicle is extremely appealing. But putting it in the Grand Cherokee SRT is obviously going to cost more than $65k.

The starting MSRP for the current Grand Cherokee SRT is already $65k. So add the Hellcat motor and the new 8 speed tranny, I'm thinking you will be getting close to $80k pretty quickly. That's twice the cost of the Focus RS.

#313 8 years ago

The Focus RS will only come in 4 colors: black, white, grey, or supersonic blue. Black is out (I've had my share of black cars, and they just aren't worth the trouble of maintaining). I still can't decide if I like the blue. The Grey looks pretty nice.

Messages_Image1954775931.pngMessages_Image1954775931.png
Messages_Image2033054357.pngMessages_Image2033054357.png
Messages_Image1026147800.pngMessages_Image1026147800.png
Messages_Image1220800265.pngMessages_Image1220800265.png

#320 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Those focus are cute

The funny thing with your statement is the fact that, if anything, the Focus RS is disappointingly "big" in terms of weight. It's going to be about 3500 pounds, which is 1500 pounds heavier than my Lotus was, 650 pounds heavier than my Porsche Spyder, and 700 pounds heavier than my RX-7.

I know that AWD system will add weight, but that car should be lighter than it is.

#322 8 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Ha the srt Cherokee is already 65k so the trackhawk 700hp will be at least $10k more...

Yep!

Quoted from RobT:

The starting MSRP for the current Grand Cherokee SRT is already $65k. So add the Hellcat motor and the new 8 speed tranny, I'm thinking you will be getting close to $80k pretty quickly.

#324 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is the Focus RS only available in stick, or can you get it in automatic?

It will only be available in stick, when it's available next spring.

People on the Focus forums believe that it will be available in limited supply, and ADM's will apply.

#329 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Holy crap! That's roughly the same weight as my ATS.

Yeah, I am really surprised (and turned off) by the weight of the RS.

345 hp from a 4 banger is very impressive, but it would be put to much better use if the car was a lot lighter.

#337 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

An intriguing alternative to the Focus RS might be the 2016 Mercedes GLA45 AMG. The HP on the new model has been bumped up to 375, and I believe it will have some new features as well.

The problem for me with the Mercedes is that I don't care for the looks, and it will be around $15k or more than the RS.

#341 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Plus it will come with a slush box. Who the hell wants that?

And the one that's in there now has received really bad reviews.

#345 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Went to price out a Focus RS today. It's a tick over $40,000. Didn't realize it was so heavy, but it's got some decent power. Should be a blast to drive. I'd also test drive the Subbie STi...heard the new one is amazing. The subbie needs 400bhp.

I don't need/want leather, so it prices out to exactly $38k for me. The weight is a turn off for sure, just doesn't seem like this type of car should way that much.

Sti is a car I need to look into a little more, but my wife doesn't like the looks of them at all. And yes, her opinion counts.

I'm open to any other suggestions for cars that I should consider. I'm actually pretty open in terms of what direction I will go. The RS is appealing because it's a sporty car with 4 doors that comes in at less than $40k.

What about the EVO? Is it disappearing altogether?

#348 8 years ago

Wow! That proto of the STi looks sweet. Too bad that it doesn't look more like that. I'd be seriously interested.

Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I watched a video of Ken Block driving the RS, and I wasn't all that impressed. It didn't look to me like it carried it's weight well, and if he can't put out a video that makes it look fun, I'm sure it underwhelms in the hands of mortals.

Do you have a link?

AWD probably isn't going to make for exciting video as there isn't going to be much hanging of the tail.

Edit: found the video. Ive seen it before. I don't think you can tell much of anything from that.

#351 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

How come these get no love? They actually go around corners quite well instead of straight line only...and not so conspicuous..

I did some research on this car previously (it's a 4 door with a big motor so it appealed to me as being a bit more practical than one of my typical 2 seaters). Bottom line: way too expensive for what it is. Too many better options for the money in my opinion.

#357 8 years ago

So the VW Golf R400 is something a friend told me to look into. I really dislike the looks of the Golf R, so I thought this was a non-starter, but the R400 will look a lot better with just some minor tweaks with an aero package. 400 HP on a AWD car? Yes, I am interested.

Sadly, it appears the price will be $55k. Sorry, not buying a VW Golf for $55k.

Messages_Image1901745608.pngMessages_Image1901745608.png
Messages_Image890871107.pngMessages_Image890871107.png
Messages_Image292746870.pngMessages_Image292746870.png

#359 8 years ago

So the STi is no longer offered in a hatchback?

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

No, sedan only. When they switched to the hatchback only format for a few years, sales in the US tanked. They switched back.

I'm suddenly becoming very interested in the STi. I think my wife will just have to get over the looks. lol

Sounds like Subaru might put a different engine in the STi in 2017 though? Might be worth waiting?

#379 8 years ago

Nice post Kaneda.

I agree, for a pure driving experience with great feedback, it is very hard to beat a Miata. Add to that the price, and it's a great value. Super fun to drive. What makes it so fun to drive? It's LIGHTWEIGHT and it's a convertible. Obviously not very practical and it would literally be impossible for me to use it as a daily driver (I can have a large number of huge files with me in my car at any given time).

The new Miata looks better than that car has ever looked.

#383 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I also drove a friend's Elise, which is probably lighter than the Miata ? (can't recall) but the Elise was so tight, no power steering either and really just about impossible to be comfortable driving in (for me).

The Elise is at least 400 pounds lighter than the Miata! Pretty amazing.

My Lotus Exige S was a great lightweight car (supercharged), but that car always pushed through the corners a lot more than I liked. My Porsche Spyder was much more neutral and had a better steering feel even though the Lotus had no power steering.

I shopped the S2000 back in the day. The car handled pretty good, but the lack of torque/power until you had the revs way up was something that kept me from buying it.

#395 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

One of my RX7 buddies has an early model Miata (or MX5 as they are known here) and he put a 13b Bridgeport in it.
Quite cool to see a Miata idling at the traffic lights going blaaaaap blaaaaap blaaaaap blaaaaap
rd

That's classic.

*Nothing* sounds like a rotary, especially when uncorked!

Quoted from Roostking:

What about the joint Toyota/Subaru car. It looks good in both configurations and is supposed to be a pretty sweet handling car. Never drove one, just reading.

What car is this?

#399 8 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Sorry I was so lazy Subaru BRZ. Plus I'm partial to the pearl orange..Toyota-86-GTS-05.jpg Toyota-GT-86.jpg

Ah, but of course. It's a great looking car! Just not enough power, and a bit small for a daily driver for me. Still really like the car overall though, and it's only about 2800 pounds.

#413 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

The Scion FR- S has a center-of-gravity height of 18.1 inches, which is lower than that of the Porsche Cayman and Nissan GT-R, and less than an inch higher than that ofexotics such as the Lexus LFA, Porsche 911 GT3 and Ferrari 360

That's all great, but not too many people care since the car is under powered (as Kaneda says). That platform is worthy of a much more powerful engine.

#416 8 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Isn't it funny how maybe 25 years ago, we were happy with 225hp out of a V8 mustang

Actually I have very clear memories of talking to my car buddies about how the power of those cars sucked ass.

I did have a 1993 Z28 that made a whopping 275 horsepower and I was pleased with that at the time.

We are living in the golden age of horsepower right now, which is why the 200 hp of the FR-S isn't acceptable to most people. Currently I have an HHR SS with a 4 banger turbo that makes 270 hp and there is a factory tune you can do for 290. 29 mpg on the highway. It's been a great daily driver, zero problems. 4 doors make it easy to pick up the kids from school.

HHR-SS1.jpgHHR-SS1.jpg

HHR-3.jpgHHR-3.jpg

HHR-8.jpgHHR-8.jpg

#421 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Rob. Yes back in '93 275 H.P. was a lot, now a days a Honda Accord almost has that. Different fuel management. More aerodynamic autos.

It really is amazing. 275 hp from a V8 back then (which was good at the time) and today I'm getting 270 hp from my 4 banger (could easily be 290). Of course torque was still better on the V8, but it's still very impressive how technology has improved horsepower and made engines more efficient.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How bout the 2004 Corvette interior?

It's much, much more than just 2004! I have been interested in Corvette's all my life. You know why I have never bought one? The interiors have been just embarrassingly bad! The new one seem to have *finally* improved, but still aren't fantastic.

#440 8 years ago

How come nobody has brought up the new Shelby GT350?

Motor has the flat plane crank, which I believe is one of the things has given Ferrari's such a great unique sound.

I've never owned a Ford, but between the RS and the Shelby GT350...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=98&v=l-UmFO_RpYs

#444 8 years ago

#449 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I never worried about the cockpit noise for this reason
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
Car was just a bit loud

Holy crappy video quality Batman! You can't even make out the red cones, nothing but a blur.

I had that same HJC helmet when I raced shifter karts.

#452 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No idea if they're putting in a new engine in 2017, I haven't heard anything. That would be the 3rd year the WRX has anew engine so it might happen.

I'm still doing my research, it's all speculation at this point, but the motor in the STi has been around for what...8 model years now? So it's probably time for a new one. The WRX motor is direct injection, and would get better mileage than what's in the STi right now.

And what's with all the ringland issues I'm reading about?

Still...there is a lot about the STi that really appeals to me.

#456 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Most ring land stuff I always assume is over tuning.

It seems like it is, thank goodness. Funny to see guys do these stage 2 or 3 tunes under warranty and then try to get Subaru to replace their motor when it pops.

Seems like there are plenty of people who think the WRX is the better value and has the better (but less powerful) motor.

#460 8 years ago

The Shelby GT350 and it's motor look very promising.

526HP, 429 lb ft toque, 8250 redline!

#468 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

my 4'6" son doesn't even fit in the back seat of a mustang... at least not behind me! (i'm 6'5").
to reiterate what others and i have said previously, i don't think the challenger is even in the same class as a camaro or mustang. full grown adults can actually sit in the front and the back of the challenger.

I figured as much. Reduces the practicality quite a bit. Hellcat's back seats are pretty good, but it's two doors so getting in and out of the backseat is a pain. But I couldn't buy a Charger Hellcat over the Challenger.

Quoted from kaneda:

The Shelby GT350 is gonna me awesome! But try landing one for sticker price. Impossible. I think people will be surprised what a high redline will do to a car with more power but a smaller power band. The Hellcat should win in a straight line, but not by as much as people think. Well, maybe Not sure.

Of course there will be big ADM on these! Why? Because it's another car that I am interested in buying!

The only car that I am interested in that I can get without ADM is the STi, and that's because the motor has been around and people are waiting for them to put the FA in it.

The GT350 sounds bad ass! Just incredible the difference that flat plane crank makes.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Higher compression ratios usually mean higher top end and lower torque. Not what you usually expect out of a "muscle" car. It's usually displacement wins all. I'm this case they are going the German approach. Smaller force fed block with long swing top end.

Yeah, the torque is 429 ft lbs which is obviously good, but doesn't match what you'd get with more cubic inches. Will be interesting to see what the specs will be in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.

They are going smaller cubic inches in order to have a reasonable MPG number.

#483 8 years ago

I'm just curious why?
I actually prefer the charger hellcat. It's more practical (that sounds funny to say) for my purposes, and it's a bit more of a sleeper. Maybe I'm missing some options that are available to the Challenger that aren't to the Charger though (like M/T)?

It's solely based on my subjective preference, which is that the Challenger is the much better looking car. I'd rather have four doors, but I would always worry that I made too much of a compromise in looks to get those 4 doors in terms of overall appearance. The Challenger is the best job any company has done in terms of the retro look.

#484 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is this the beginning or the end of a horsepower war?
I guess most everything is going forced induction as most new 911's will now be turbo as well as most new Ferrari and BMWs etc..
I'm old enough to remember when the Buick GNX was a powerful car.

I was talking to a friend about this just two days ago. This is really sad that all these high end sports cars are going forced induction. Smaller motors with turbo's to make the power to be more efficient, but they simply aren't the same in terms of torque and drivability.

#489 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The Cayman handles like a go-kart

If you want something that handles like a go-kart, just buy a go-kart. Nothing else comes closer to the real open wheel racing experience. You will *never* get the adrenaline flowing in a Cayman like you would in a shifter kart!

Kart8.jpgKart8.jpg

#490 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

The 911 is going to 3.0L smallest in decades, however I'm not all about power, cars such as GTI, WRX or Miata are quick enough for me.

Why talk about GTI, WRX or Miata when the point you raised to begin with was cars like Porsche, BMW, and Ferrari going to smaller forced induction motors?

GTI, WRX, and Miata have always had small motors and aren't relevant to the new direction that those other car manufacturers are heading.

#494 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The whole rush to FI is for fuel efficency/emission standards.

Yes, I know.

And it sucks.

#495 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Man that looks like fun!

Trust me, it is an absolute blast! It is *serious* racing. You need to be in good shape physically, or you will not be on the track very long.

It's by far the best bang for the buck racing that anyone can do. Way less expensive than racing any type of car. I really miss it.

#498 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Cmon, man. there has never been a point in automotive history where so much horsepower has been for sale. Maybe you'd prefer to go back to the good old days when elite supercars like the Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari Testarossa made 350 horsepower?

I think you missed my point.

I agree with what you are saying. I am the one who just posted that we are currently living in the golden age of horsepower. Things like the Hellcat and Z06 aren't exactly efficient in terms of MPG. It's the fact that cars like the BMW M3 are going to forced induction instead of relying on torque from cubic inches. The cars don't drive the same. Turbos have come a long way, but all things considered, I'd much prefer going naturally aspirated (for the same horsepower).

#501 8 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm the exact opposite...having had my fill of big block horsepower I much prefer the whine of a supercharger or the horse sneeze of a waste gate. Guess I'm weird that way

Oh, I don't think it's weird at all. I've had several turbo charged cars and a supercharged car, so it's not like I hate them by any means. But HP for HP, NA is the way to go. If you are on a road coarse you want the instant throttle response that you get from a NA car. Superchargers are better in terms of throttle response than you get compared to a turbo.

One reason that the top of the line Camaro Z28 gets less horsepower (despite costing a lot more) than the ZL1 (which is supercharged) is because the Z28 is a pure track car and they didn't want the extra weight or slightly reduced throttle response.

#503 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Yes and no. I went from a Hemi Charger with the Road & Track Package to an Audi A7. Big V8 to a Supercharged 3L.
Sound - Hemi wins big time. There's just no substitute for the sound a V8 can make.
0-60 Audi wins (it will run with a Camaro SS to 60 stock.....mine is not stock).
Fuel economy - Hemi 24mpg cruising at 76mph - Audi 31mpg
Not to mention the Audi is better in the winter with its AWD.
The Audi is certainly no muscle car and I do miss some of that but overall it's a great car with sleeper performance.

No surprises there. But that is a apples to oranges comparison in my opinion.

To me the more valid comparison would be something like a prior generation Audi with the V8, compared to the current supercharged 3L.

#507 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Sorry RobbyT, I'm gonna have to disagree a little here.
Your points were correct with the older turbo cars (big time) but not these days. More efficient turbos and much more computer power has taken turbos to the next level (to the power of ten...)
There's a reason that all the new performance cars (M3 M4 RS4) have gone to smaller motors with turbos. More power, less fuel use, less weight (better handling) less emissions.
The last two days, I had to drive down to the bottom of the North Island. 500km each way. I was in my Lexus ISF, 310kw high revving V8 muscle car. NZ roads are not freeways, they are windy 2 lane roads that go around (and over) the volcanos that make up NZ. I was just thinking today, a small turbo car would simply carve up my 1700kg V8 beast on these roads. That's why my turbo RX7s were so good here, 1200kg with 400-450hp on windy roads, just unbeatable. A Hellcat would be pretty useless around here (unless you just wanted to cruise)
FYI the ISF averaged 9.9 liters/100km (24mpg) on these roads, generally sitting on 100-110km/h (limit is 100kph here) with the odd squirt to 130-140kph when passing trucks. Passing is a breeze in this car, flick the paddle shifter, give it a little gas, and you rocket past.
Some pics of central North Island roads ... There's a huge snow covered volcano behind these clouds. You may have seen it in LOTR... The closest road I found to these in the USA was the road from Denver to Durango up Aspen way.

Like I said:

Quoted from RobT:

Turbos have come a long way, but all things considered, I'd much prefer going naturally aspirated (for the same horsepower).

You are making the same type of apples to oranges comparison that someone else did. Why compare a 2800 pound RX-7 to a 4500 pound Hellcat to make a point about turbos being the way to go? Especially when the Hellcat itself is supercharged?

Your weight savings argument for smaller turbocharged engines is a common one but over stated. Turbos themselves add weight. On a car like the RX-7 (or any smaller car) you can only fit so big of an engine in them, so forced induction is the way to go to get more power. This is obvious, and it's why I have owned several turbo and supercharged cars.

And man, I wish we had more roads here like you do!

Quoted from flynnibus:

Great for torque tho And considering how much road we really need to take advantage of that top end HP that displacement would get us.. I think it's a great tradeoff. My bigger issue is concern about the durability and sensitivity of the FI motors vs raw grunt displacement.

Huh? Forget about "top end hp" of the bigger displacement motor, I'm talking about the *lower end torque* as that's where larger displacement engines have a huge advantage over smaller displacement motors with turbos.

#510 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I can tell you the power (or torque I'm not very technical) on the 2016 WRX is much better then my 02. Spools up quicker and seems more even these days. Guess that twin scrolling is doing it's job.

From what I've read it appears that the low end torque on your WRX is better than the STi. Makes for better regular/daily driving.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Yes in the days of old big monster single turbo's bolted on for max power output.. they suffered down low. That's not the case anymore.. and they actually perform better at those low RPMs compared to NA.. because they are designed to be on the boost in those low ranges.

Exactly, it's because they are designed that way. But it's usually a trade off. See above. The STi doesn't give the torque down low like the WRX does, but the STi has more HP and Torque overall.

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Just buy a PT cruiser with a turbo, rob. that's only like $3-4K. Haha. sorry, couldn't resist.

Did you see the post of my daily driver? I already own the GM equivalent!

Quoted from robertmee:

Rumor is the next Hyundai Genesis R-Spec is ditching the 5.0 and going with a twin turbo setup.

2017 possibly?

#517 8 years ago

I have loved my HHR SS! I've had it for more than five years, I have 90k miles on it and have not had a single problem with it. With a factory tune at the dealership (so still under warranty) it has 290 HP which is the same as the Mitsubishi Evo, and only 15 hp short of the Subbie STi. Brembo brakes, launch control, sport suspension, great seats, and as practical as can be with a nice big hatch in the back that makes it super easy to load and unload carts worth of case files, avg. 25 mpg, 4 doors for easy access when I pick up the kids. And I paid a ridiculously small amount of money for a brand new one during their last year of production. Zero regrets here, it's been one of the better purchases that I've made in terms of value.

#518 8 years ago

So, which do you think is the better looking car, the Ford Focus RS, or the Subbie STi?

Messages_Image1631157817.pngMessages_Image1631157817.png
Messages_Image1892434733.pngMessages_Image1892434733.png

#520 8 years ago

I think you got them backwards. The Ford RS is the hatchback. The STi is the sedan (first pic).

#522 8 years ago

Front ends:

Messages_Image2082222579.pngMessages_Image2082222579.png

Messages_Image1745959839.pngMessages_Image1745959839.png

#523 8 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

They're both ugly as a monkeys ass

So you aren't a fan of the rally look?

#524 8 years ago

Rear:

Messages_Image686178280.pngMessages_Image686178280.png

Messages_Image897603886.pngMessages_Image897603886.png

#530 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The Mercedes A Class AMG - 381hp. Don't you have these there?
Not those god awful 4wd high suspension ones ... These ones.
image.jpeg
Sexy beast!!
rd

OMG! That is bad ass. Of course we don't get the good stuff here. Ugh! I'd be all over that.

They have that same motor in some of their AMG cars here, but it's been reduced to 355 HP.

Make sure I didn't miss it here:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/amg

#532 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The Mercedes A Class AMG - 381hp. Don't you have these there?
Not those god awful 4wd high suspension ones ... These ones.
image.jpeg
Sexy beast!!
rd

This is what we get instead

Messages_Image288059465.pngMessages_Image288059465.png

#534 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Just not a fan of wings on cars in general. Pull me off the focus and the Subi and the cars look 100x better.

I've had several of my car buddies tell me how much they dislike the wings. I completely understand.

That said, if I get either the STi, Focus RS, or even the last year of the EVO, it *will* have the wing on it. They are just very much part of the heritage of the rally cars, and I consider them very much part of what they are known for.

#547 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Rob,
Don't fool yourself man...the FOCUS RS is the way to go. But good luck finding one. Last year EVO? WHY!?!?!? That car is an overpriced pile of crap waiting to fall apart. Mitsu quality is the worst. Plus the RS is the hot one to get. The US has been waiting for the RS for years...both the EVO and STi have been here for a while and quite honestly, they've both lost their luster.
Get a White Focus RS, put some gold rims on her, tints and have the time of your life. Boom.

The EVO was something I just added to that post to make a point about the fact that I would have the wing on any of those 3 cars if I buy one as I consider it their trademark. The EVO is not really in serious consideration for me (you will see that that last post was about the only time I've mentioned it in this thread).

What you say about the Focus RS being the hot one right now actually makes it less likely that I will get it because I will not pay an ADM on it. The question is whether Ford will make this widely available in a year or so. Even the first ones won't be available until spring 2016.

Still...the best course of action for me will be to wait another year from now anyway, as there is also the chance that Subaru will put a new motor in the STi.

Quoted from TOK:

I am, but these don't really have it anymore. They used to have a functional ugliness, like stuff was bolted on for necessity instead of appearance. That is something that really appeals to me, but they're all slick and appear to be wearing costumes of that now.
Does that make sense?

That actually makes perfect sense. I know exactly what you mean. It's kind of funny though, because while what you say makes sense, most people will say that the current STi is the best looking one yet.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Nope not here and if it was here it would have a shitty amg speedshift slushbox making it worthless.

True.

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Scooby without a doubt. Not a hot hatch fan personally.

The sedan does look better than the hatch. I just prefer the convenience of the hatch as it makes it a lot easier to get big files (often put inside a crate) in and out of the car.

#552 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well obviously I'm going to say the Subaru, so that's probably not worth a lot.
Even if it was another car, the focus has too many years looking like a focus to me to really be impressed with it. I just can't not see the evolution of Ford Fiesta to this. It would be like a 350HP Plymouth Neon coming out now...it would just be too hard to overlook. The FMIC is cool, but that huge plastic piece above it...wtf is that? Probably can rip it out and replace with a big grill or something?
Of course I don't doubt the RS looks better in person, because the WRX sure does. It DOES NOT photograph well all around...they love showing this pic which IMO is not a pretty angle

2016wrx.jpg

Can't disagree with a word of this. I have the same thoughts/concerns with the RS and it's roots, and I still can't decide whether I like that front end.

And you are definitely right regarding the STi not usually photographing well. The picture you posted is a common angle, and it makes the car look much shorter/squatty than it really is.

What color did you get your WRX in ?

I'm trying to figure out what color this is, or if it's even a stock color:

Messages_Image1631157817.pngMessages_Image1631157817.png

#568 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Rob, seriously, how can you actually consider an STi over a Hellcat or something similar. I'm just gonna say it...An STi is a car for a 21 year old with a good summer job. Man up my brother and let's start talking about some car with balls. An STi is barely breaking 100mph in the 1/4 mile. Can we start talking about real performance again?

Pretty simple really, and I mentioned it several times earlier in the thread. In a word, practicality. Not to mention price (which is obviously related to practicality).

I can get a fully loaded STi limited for less than $40k. We are talking $30k less than the Hellcat, minimum. I have two girls that will be starting college in 2 years, so I prefer to save that extra $30k. I have to be more practical. I still have to pick up my kids several days a week. Getting in and out of the back seats of the Challenger Hellcat would be a pain in the ass.

Implying that the STi doesn't have "real performance" is stupid, especially since you are comparing it to a car that costs $30k more and weighs 1000 fucking pounds more! Tell me how the Hellcat handles again? Do you think the Hellcat would out handle the STi?

I'm not taking any car that I buy to the track. My thing has always been canyon carving. Do you think that the Hellcat is the right car for doing that in over the STi? I don't think so.

Look, I love the Hellcat for what it is. A great looking car that you can clearly see it's heritage in, and a monster 707 HP supercharged Hemi. Pretty bad ass. But it's a lot of money, it's heavier than shit and doesn't handle well because of it, and it's just not very practical.

Remember, you were the one that said this:

Quoted from kaneda:

I won't lie. The Hellcat is a hoot but it's not the most engaging ride. It's more like strapping into a rollercoaster and waiting for the big dip (hammer down) to happen. But on windy roads the Hellcat is no fun at all. It's not that it handles bad, but it's not comfortable there.

So you admit that the Hellcat is no fun at all on the windy roads, and it sounds like you don't think its much fun to drive unless you have the hammer down. That's a lot of money to pay for a car that isn't that engaging, as you put it.

By the way, the Hellcat is not 100% out of the equation. It's still a small possibility, maybe in a year or so, and possibly a used one when/if the prices come down.

#570 8 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Subies are cool, but they draw a lot of attention, and you need to wear your hat sideways when you drive one. Get a Volkswagen R. Much more understated, but a great car with similar power and awd to a subie, plus much better build quality and more comfortable to live with every day!
I wanted a fun to drive awd car and was originally looking at subarus. I ended up getting an 04 r32 instead and I'm glad I did. It's awesome! The new golf R's are supposed to be really really good.

I have a friend who has the Golf R and he absolutely loves it! He has recommended it to me.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I pretty much can't stand the looks of it, so it's a complete non starter for me (looks are subjective obviously, so don't take it personal...just like I told my friend). The upcoming Golf R400 looks like it will be improved in the looks department, but it's probably going to cost $55k, and there is no way I'm paying anywhere close to $55k for a VW.

#588 8 years ago

Makes me miss my FD Dave!

I'm still considering a 2011-2013 Lexus IS F as well (hey....four doors)! 416 horsepower V8. You can get these with pretty low mileage for right around $40k.

Messages_Image1549485426.pngMessages_Image1549485426.png
Messages_Image1155610237.pngMessages_Image1155610237.png
Messages_Image673382161.pngMessages_Image673382161.png

#591 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

It must take a lot to get me to turn my head, because I wouldn't bother for either an M4 or a Hellcat. They are fine enough cars, but neither stand out from the crowd in my opinion.

I pretty much agree, especially on the M3 or M4. There are just WAY too many of them in SoCal. The Hellcat is super cool looking though, and it can be a real head turner, but one of my main issues with it is the fact that it does NOT do enough to distinguish itself from the non Hellcat Challengers.

When I see a new Challenger on the road, I always have to do a double or triple take to determine if it's a Hellcat.

#593 8 years ago

I agree with Kaneda. The interior of the Challenger Hellcat has been improved tremendously over prior year Challengers. It's pretty nice inside.

Edit: Kaneda, I hope you are ok with the fact that this thread has become a general car discussion? If not, let me know, and I can start a new thread. I do feel like I have kind of taken over this thread with all of my going back and forth on what my next car might be, so I have no problem with starting a new thread if you prefer.

#596 8 years ago

Kaneda, see my edit in my post above.

#598 8 years ago

Head turner? Beautiful looking muscle car, clearly rooted in it's history?

FUCK YEAH!

Messages_Image601711288.pngMessages_Image601711288.png

#600 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I don;t disagree with anything you've said in this thread, and I understand the point you're making, but do we really need a heated steering wheel? I mean, come on; that;s what your skeleton gloves are for

I lol'ed

#602 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I have to say I was surprised by how awesome of a feature a heated steering wheel is. Not sure I can ever go back to having a car without one now!

This sounds hilarious to me....considering that it was 101 degrees here today.

#656 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That car makes so much sense for you on your LA roads RobbyT.
Ideal... so reliable, lexus quality, comfortable to drive, room for the family, plenty of power if you floor it ... Winner.
I couldn't think of a better car for a quick blast from LA to Vegas for the weekend, or up the coast. Sweet.
rd

Thanks RD. Last night I really started thinking that going this route might make the most sense for me, and I really have to seriously consider the IS F from 2011-13. 416 horsepower from a naturally aspirated V8 is very compelling to me. No, it's not Hellcat type power, but it's plenty of power for that car, it's dependable, they hold their value extremely well, they are comfortable to drive compared to cars with tighter suspensions like the STi, and I personally think its a very nice looking car.

Plus, I wouldn't have to wear my cap sideways like I would in the STi.

I'd have to consider whether to buy from a private party (cheaper) or certified pre-owned from a dealer.

Messages_Image75115347.pngMessages_Image75115347.png

#659 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

plus it's a lexus, not a dodge...

I love the heritage behind the Hellcat. And the 2015 Hellcat has one hell of a good warranty.

But Lexus as a brand obviously maintains it's value way better overall than Dodge, and is also known for their reliability. Dodge, not so much.

Hellcat's will probably retain their value pretty well though.

#674 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

I just took this. Now this is the original hellcat. gtx. 426 hemi image.jpeg

Like I said!!

Quoted from RobT:

I love the heritage behind the Hellcat.

Quoted from davewtf:

that is a million times cooler than a hellcat IMHO.

Just not in a single performance category. Not one.

#675 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Second, the m4 turns way more heads than the hellcat.

Bwhahahahaha!!!!

The only people that will turn their heads to look at an M3 or M4 are other M3/M4 owners.

#681 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

i hear you but my definition of cool isn't entirely based on being the quickest. That GTX in that picture is a rare beast. 1 of 30 hemi gtx made that year, if it's the real deal. that's a car that would make me whip a $hitty (u-turn in wisconsin-speak, don't know if that's common venacular) and try to see it again. By the same token, i've seen 3 hellcats on the road in the last month. I realize they are super fast, would love to own one but i wouldn't stop to look at one in a parking lot or a car show.
how about quickest to an empty gas tank?

Yep, well said Dave.

Quoted from taimaster2005:

All very nice cars guys, wish I could afford any of those!
Here's my weekend play toy, '65 El Camino 400sbc
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG
IMG_1816.JPG
1116207_10200375376492521_2015719813_o.jpg

Very cool!

#695 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

but it's not a P.O.S. ford

Hey, at least they finally decided to catch up to last century and put an IRS on the Mustang.

#699 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Fact. And he's referring to the e92 m3. Not the new generation. It eats the Mustangs lunch on the track.
The new one is a land missle.

A land missile? At 425 horsepower?

What does that make the Hellcat?

#700 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Not a fan of the SRA are you?

What's SRA?

#703 8 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

solid rear axle

Ah, but of course.

And of course I'm not a fan. That's why I made the comment about them finally catching up to last century by putting the IRS in the Mustang.

#725 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Here is your link, show me the camber/caster plates in this kit since I fail so hard at the Internet? And electronic dampers eat dick. Every race team rips it out. You won't find a single track car that leaves it in because it's not controllable. Having 2 settings "comfort and sport" is a joke. It's for luxury and road use not racing.
image.jpeg
The gt500 is in fact faster around the ring except it took 150 more horsepower and a force fed v8 to get there . VS a v6.
There is a reason that the m3/4 is the gold standard for GT class cars. It took ford 40+ years to make a car that did more than went in a straight line and for that I commend them. Took GM nearly as long. (The c5). BMW has been doing it for 30 straight.

#729 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

The gt500 is in fact faster around the ring except it took 150 more horsepower and a force fed v8 to get there . VS a v6.

I don't understand your argument? It's like you are saying that having more horsepower and a force fed V8 is somehow "cheating", because the other car is a V6. If you want to compare cars, you take them as they are. Guess what? The GT500 came with a force fed V8 and 150 more horsepower!

#731 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

You missed the point. He was comparing them I wasn't but what I meant is it needed 30% more power to gain a few second advantage which means there are faults in other places. There are cars with much less horsepower pulling better times. The argument is HP sometimes used to make up for engineering elsewhere.
Can't make it corner faster? Make it faster in the straights.
A good car does both.

Yeah, no shit, but that doesn't mean that can't or shouldn't be compared. Wasn't the GT500 in the similar price range to the M3, or more than likely even less? Yeah, I think you can compare them.

And based on your logic, I must point out the fact that your M3 has "faults in other places" as well. Namely: horsepower. Can't make it faster in the straights? You have to make up for it with handling in the corners.

A good car does both!

#733 8 years ago

You know I don't have anything against the M3, it's a damn sweet car, and I'd love to have one. It's just that they really aren't anything special in SoCal because you see Bimmers *everywhere* !

I was on my FB page and got a message that it was 7 years ago today that I shared this picture:

Lotus10.jpgLotus10.jpg

#735 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

God the exige is a special car. Nothing handles like a new lotus. If I remember correctly that car had a Toyota power plant in it right?
*edit* yup. The new ones with north of 350hp in a car that weighs as much as a paper bag must be insane to drive. Weighs about the same as a Miata with 2.2x the hp. Holy shit.

Yep. Supercharged Toyota 4 banger, pretty much bullet proof.

The Lotus handled great overall (super lightweight....2000 pounds) but it actually required a lot of suspension tuning if you really wanted it to be neutral. I had pretty bad understeer on mine.

The Porsche Spyder I had was much more neutral handling, and had excellent steering feel.

#737 8 years ago

It was about 4 years ago when I bought my spyder I remember seeing a super sweet looking GT3 on the lot. It was slightly used, around 5k miles, and they were asking $115k. It was pretty close to what I'd consider my dream car. I remember thinking that maybe 4-5 years down the road used ones would come down in price and maybe I could justify buying one. Ha! What a joke that turned out to be. Amazing how well they maintain their value.

But yes, that is really as pure of a track car as my Lotus was.

I think part of the reason the Lotus pushed like it did was that the tires in the front were too small compared to the rears. I always ran R compound tires.

#751 8 years ago

Roostking:

I love this shot! It really shows how they did such a great job on the current Challenger in terms of basing it off of the original.

Like I've said before, Dodge did the best retro design based on it's heritage with the Challenger than any attempt by anyone else (such as the Camaro being based on the '69 Camaro, the 2005 Mustang, the early 2000 Thunderbird etc.).

Messages_Image2066192004.pngMessages_Image2066192004.png

#757 8 years ago

I test drove the STi a couple of hours ago.

Bottom line: I actually liked it *more* than I thought I would. The car handles great. I mean really surprisingly good, and I have had some great handling cars. They did this one right.

My biggest pleasant surprises: the interior was nicer than expected. It really looks and feels nice. The second biggest surprise was how much room there is in the back seat. I sat back there and I had plenty of extra leg room and head room was fine. You'd almost have to buy a larger SUV to have more room.

The car was not lightning quick by any means, but it had really good throttle response. Brakes are excellent.

I really like this car a lot. It's definitely going to remain on my shortlist. One thing that's nice about the STi is that I don't feel like I have to jump on one now for fear of missing out (unlike cars like the Hellcat, or what the Focus RS will be like) as they are plentiful. The dealer even said I could order one exactly how I want and it would only take 6 weeks to get it (that seems really fast to me).

By contrast, it seems that 2011-2013 Lexus IS F's are quite hard to come by. They just don't pop up for sale that often.

#768 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 16 STi but not happy it's got the exact same engine that was in the car 8 years ago.

Normally I might argue that this is a good thing because it means that the engine has been proven, why fix it if it isn't broken, etc. But the truth is in this case that the FA motor is better (direct injection) and the current motor in the STI does have some known issues including the ring land problems that have come up (though it appears those are almost always related to ones that have modified/tuned).

I also think the motor in the STI should be more efficient than it is. Gas mileage is pretty bad.

I'll probably wait to see if the 2017 model will have the FA engine in it before buying an STI.

#773 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I agree with that approach. I really wanted an STI in March of this year but stopped short of getting one because the local dealer wanted more than $41k and I didn't see the value at that price. My local dealer is now telling me I can get one for $39k but for me going over $40k with everything included is more than I want to spend.
I read some of the Mitsu bashing earlier in this thread and I have had the direct opposite experience with their performance vehicles. I've personally had 7-8 of them over the years with no major problems. My previous car was on 03 Evo that I had for more than five years and I had great luck with it. I think owning the Evo is what makes me want the STI.
I had made a stand that I wasn't going to buy a Dodge because of the bailout but I find myself drifting back to them as a brand. My dad owned a Dodge dealership in the 80's/90's when I was growing up so I have a soft spot for the brand. I really wish I could buy a brand new Stealth right now!!

Probably doesn't matter at this point since it sounds like you will go a different direction, but if you do decide to come back to getting an STI you should consider getting a quote from Heuberger Motors in Colorado. They are the number 1 Subaru dealer in the U.S. and their prices really can't be beat, even if you have to pay to have the car shipped when it comes in.

Sign up at IWSTI.com forum and give them your membership name for the best price possible.

As far as Mitsubishi and the EVO, it's pretty much a complete non starter for me since the EVO is dead, and Mitsubishi as a whole might disappear from the U.S. altogether. Not to mention the fact that the interior of the EVO is not even remotely as nice as the one in the STI.

I've driven EVO's in the past and was very impressed with the car. The handling of the AWD is something you don't forget, as its quite unique. This is the reason that I had the STI on my short list to begin with.

#774 8 years ago

What about a Maserati Gran Turismo? I haven't looked into the maintenance requirements, but the initial pricing of some nice used examples seems reasonable (I use that term loosely).

Funny you mention this one, because it comes up often as one of the best bang for the buck used sports cars that you can buy for less than $50k.

Really, the issue would be the maintenance requirements that you make reference to, as well as a less than stellar reputation when it comes to reliability, both of which undoubtedly play a large role in the fact that these can be had for such a "reasonable" price.

I very much appreciate the suggestion. Keep 'em coming!

#778 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Don't tell Alex but that wouldn't be a wise purchase.
(Prepares for thumbs down...)
rd

It would be cool to own, but like I said, there's a reason that they sell for as little as they do. I wouldn't risk it.

#783 8 years ago

I'm also in the "Grand Touring" market - gotta have something with 4 seats, a fairly comfortable highway ride, but not out of place in the twists.

I'm going to test drive a 2012 Lexus IS F today. Seems to fit the bill.

Messages_Image1777872268.pngMessages_Image1777872268.png

#787 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It is VERY small inside. Like honda civic small. The rear seat is unusable for all but children.
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011-lexus-is250-f-sport-rear-seats.jpg That's with the front seats at a neutral position. With a 6 foot driver the seats in the back are not really usable by an adult with legs. If you are carrying around a few amputees you are good though

Yep, by far my biggest concern with this car. I've seen a video on youtube with a 5' 10" guy sitting in the back seat, and his knees were touching the front seat. My daughters are both pretty tall, but still well below 5' 10". If I decide I love the car, they would have to go back with me to see how easily they could sit back there.

I was really surprised at how small that back seat is for a 4 door car.

#789 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

It is VERY small inside. Like honda civic small. The rear seat is unusable for all but children.
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/2011-lexus-is250-f-sport-rear-seats.jpg That's with the front seats at a neutral position. With a 6 foot driver the seats in the back are not really usable by an adult with legs. If you are carrying around a few amputees you are good though

How would a 2011-2012 M3 sedan compare in terms of back seat leg room?

#806 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm going to test drive a 2012 Lexus IS F today. Seems to fit the bill.

Messages_Image1777872268.png

I hate it when work gets in the way of play!

Hopefully I can make it out there soon.

#819 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Those are sweet! Love the exhaust! Ever consider one of these? and no i'm not referring to my TDI mistake in the background
DSCN4415.JPG

Nice. I have only briefly looked into the S4. The S5 seems better, with the V8, but do they only come in coupe?

Quoted from Pinchroma:

Rob, get a cpo m3. Where else can you get 450+ hp and 30 hwy mpg? (I've gotten higher than 30 but I was in stop and go for a bit this morning)image.jpeg

It's in the running with the Lexus IS F. If I went with an M3 it would definitely be CPO. If I went with Lexus, getting a CPO wouldn't be as important to me.

A new Mazda rotary has been rumored since the day they stopped production on the RX8, but this is one of the more promising clues regarding its revival:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-teases-sports-car-concept-not-a-miata-hopefully-rotary-powered/

Cool. I've owned two rotary cars in the past (3rd gen RX-7 and an RX-8). Would be cool if they bring it back.

Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Quit see-sawing back and forth and just get a bicycle....
» YouTube video

lol

WTF?!

#821 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

So it looks like you're open to buying anything as long as it's fast, huh? Is this going to be a daily driver or just a fun vehicle? Love how the hellcat thread turned into the "what should Rob buy" thread. hahaha! Sorry.
This thread is way more fun than talking about pinball, btw.

I'm pretty much open to any and all ideas at this point. Which is why I said to keep the recommendations coming. Window shopping is fun!

Yes, it's going to be a daily driver, which includes picking up kids from school a few days a week. This is why I am leaning towards a car with 4 doors, although it isn't absolutely required. It does not have to be fast...but it does have to be "fun" in some way. Hell...I've even had the thought of buying a used Range Rover Evoque go through my head!

And I agree about it turning into a "what should Rob buy" thread, which is why I made a post asking Kaneda if he would prefer that I start a new thread. Never got a response, so I hope it's cool.

I think it is, because like you said, it's a fun thread.

#823 8 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

srt 392 charger not fast enough for you? if i needed a fast 4 dr car, i'd go scat pack charger. starts at $40K but dealers will go lower. 485 hp is enough for me. going srt would get you the adjustable suspension. I say go beat on one of those....

I've always had this thought in my head that I would feel like I was sacrificing too much in the looks department by going with a Charger over a Challenger, but the truth is that the Charger really is a good looking car on it's own merit. I didn't realize you could get a scat pack Charger for $40k. Hmm.

#832 8 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Have you thought about a certified used late model CTS-V?

That's just weird and scary. I was just coming into this thread to ask what people think of the CTS-V. Wow.

I don't know much about them, other than they have a big ass supercharged V8. Cadillac though...old man's car?

I do think some of them look pretty cool.

#834 8 years ago

Those look great! I assume those are 2016 models? I'd be looking for used ones, probably no newer than 2013 (3 model years depreciation).

Edit: the new CTS V sedan starts at $84k.

#840 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Hey guys...I've been absent from this thread because my Hellcat had issues last Friday (on my birthday no less). Here's what happened. I went to the car wash by me (hand wash) and as I was leaving, I blipped the throttle and all of a sudden the check engine light comes on. I'm like grrrrrreat. Then as I go to drive, the car feels sluggish. No super charger whine. No power at all. The engine wouldn't rev over 2,000rpms. Luckily I was a few blocks from my parking space so I get her there and call Dodge. Now as many of you know, Friday night is a bad time to have car issues because the service departments are closes/closing and normally they don't open up again until Monday. Dodge wanted to tow the car to the nearest dealership but I said no. Why?
Because SRT cars can only be worked on by SRT techs. The nearest dealership may not have a tech and then it would go there, sit, have to be towed to another dealer or what for a tech to visit. I did the smartest thing I could have done...I called the guy I bought the car from in Pittsburgh. Super nice guy. He gets an SRT rep on Saturday to contact the best SRT dealership in the area, White Plains NY. We schedule a pick up for Monday AM.
Here's a photo of my baby getting towed Now when I went to the Dodge forums to explain what happened everyone started saying I'd need a new engine, it was a crank pulley failure, etc. Later I would learn this was like going to WEBMD with a fever...you'll leave thinking you have Aids. Anyway, got a call from the dealer today and the issue is a small one. At the car wash, the guys with the power washers must have sprayed too hard into one of the vents and got a sensor wet. They just had to replace the sensor. She'll be back on the road in no time.

IMG_2811_1.jpg

That must have scared the crap out of you. You did the right thing by waiting until the car could go directly to an SRT certified dealership. Glad to hear that it was an easy fix. Seems strange that water would get into a sensor and fry it so easily.

#842 8 years ago

The new CTS V is simply BAD ASS! (we need a drooling emoticon on Pinside)

http://www.cadillac.com/v-series/cts-v-sedan.html

#847 8 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Yep. That is one sexy machine.

Very! But I kind of agree with Kaneda, those prices are high. $84k starting price, and going up to $102k!

The new one does look to be a rather large improvement over the prior generation though.

#851 8 years ago
Quoted from jamjam:

They are awesome cars! I've also seen the upcoming Cuda

What do you mean by "seen"?

When is it coming?

#861 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I don't think it looks all that different from even the 2013's:
2013vsedan.jpg
Edit - Under $50,000 with under 25,000 miles all over the place.

Yeah, I'm looking at 2013's, well under $50k.

The interior looks to be a huge improvement on the 2016's.

#866 8 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I give you a lot of credit for wrapping the hood vs painting it. You can put it back to stock easily. This may become a collectible car someday, it would be a shame to make a permanent modification. Actually even if it's not collectible I'm not a fan of mods that aren't reversible.

You can order the Hellcat with a black hood from the factory.

#871 8 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

The wrap black is nicer than the dodge black hood. Much easier to keep clean and has more of a shine to it. Wrap ftw!

Not to mention the problems with the black factory hood that have been reported on the Hellcat forum.

#879 8 years ago

So nobody has mentioned Infinity in this thread. Anyone have experience or opinions?

#906 8 years ago

Hey Alex, stop being a dick.

#916 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Hey Rob. Mind your business .

Hey, Alex. You are posting in a public forum. In a thread that I like.

And you're fucking it up.

7 months later
#1098 7 years ago

I wonder what car RobT decided on?

I went with the Subaru STi.

Got the limited edition hyper blue, which looks WAY better in person than in pictures. In fact, I was *really* struggling with what color to go with. 2 weeks later I drove by the dealer and they had the Hyper Blue sitting out front, and it made it crystal clear to me that that was the color I had to have.

I've had the car since October '15 and I love it. Zero regrets so far!

#1101 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good job....that's a nice engine. I mean...it's old as shit, but good
--->2016 WRX Owner

Yep, you have the more up to date motor for sure. In fact, this is the first time I have ever leased a car, and one reason I did so was because of concern that they might put the updated motor in the STi in a couple of years. It would be fairly easy to switch over to the new model if they do that.

Quoted from rotordave:

Dirty old Robbie T is back in the fold.
Just one question Robbie ... When you got the Subie, did they give you a hat to wear backwards when you're driving it?
rd

I'm proudly wearing it as I type this!

#1115 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Chevy managed to get the Z06 around nearly 10 seconds faster with 200 less HP.

When did Chevy reduce the power in the Z06 by 143 HP?

#1116 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I'd love a new 650hp Corvette for example ... But having only 2 seats doesn't really work for me.

When I was shopping for my next car back in October, I test drove a BMW M4 that had 440hp if I remember correctly. I was very impressed with the car overall, especially in terms of power delivery and the fact that there was almost no turbo lag.

But you know what I also realized after driving it? There is just no way that you are going to get as much fun and enjoyment out of that car driving it on public roads as you would with something with less hp that you can drive closer to it's capabilities. I.e., driving the M4 at 8/10 of it's capabilities will get you in trouble pretty quickly. Driving something like the STi at 8/10 not so much.

The M4 was so powerful, I would feel like I was always having to hold her back while driving on public roads. With something like the STi, I can more easily get her out to stretch her legs. (as an aside, the new BMW M2 seems to be a *perfect* compromise in this very regard with 365 hp and by many accounts is actually the better handling car vs the M3/M4)

I can only imagine how it would be with the Z06. You'd never come close to using all that hp on the street. The 480 hp Stingray (or upcoming Grand Sport) would make more sense.

Of course, when it comes to sports cars, sense usually has very little to do with it.

#1126 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

The brown and red are track mules. Not in any way street legal. The other 4 I own I drove daily. 83 911 SC, 2014 Carerra S , a 2014 GT3 RS and a 2015 Cayanne.
But I guess you've never had the joy of driving one. The barrier for entry is having all your teeth which they obviously don't check for at the "hemi" dealer. My original "Eurotrash" are highly soughtafter collectibles that were assembled by hand by craftsman not some fat man in Michigan. 'Murica!

For someone so over the top proud of his Porsche's, you'd think you'd know how to spell "Cayenne" correctly.

#1137 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Why do car conversations inevitably turn people into huge douchebags?

Some people. We've had plenty of good conversation in this thread as well. Not all car guys are DB's.

#1142 7 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Actually, Jeep,which is a Chrysler brand, has the highest resale of every car manufacturer.

But Jeep is not a car manufacturer. Chrysler is.

Taken as a whole, Subaru has the best resale value of any car manufacturer.

Semantics aside, there is no doubt that Jeeps do retain their value very well. There are certain vehicles that when you buy one, it makes you an automatic member in a club (part of a community), and every time you see someone else with one, you always acknowledge each other. The STi is like that. But I think the Jeep club takes the cake.

#1144 7 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

Don't listen to him, fiberdude. I have a '16 GT350 Track Pack on order. If you can pick one up for MSRP, I say go for it: it is the best Mustang ever built IMHO and is fun to drive... and that exhaust note!
We are experiencing what may be the last run of American muscle/sports cars before the CAFE laws basically force the manufacturers to stop mass-producing these beauties. I think the competition right now between Ford, Chevy, and Dodge is awesome and we as consumers should be happy and not hatin'.

That flat crank really makes a difference on that exhaust note. Love it.

Sadly, you are exactly right about the CAFE laws forcing the auto makers to abandon these great HP motors that we've been spoiled with over the last few years.

Porsche is going with 4 banger turbos instead of their boxer 6 in the Cayman/Boxer. BWM is going this route as well. A turbo charged inline 6 is a great motor, definitely better than their last v8 in the M3 (I couldn't believe the lack of torque in that motor when I test drove one), but a turbo 4 banger just isn't going to cut it.

Most of the Camaro's are going to a turbo 4 banger as well.

1 week later
#1147 7 years ago

I saw that thread. He is spot on with his comments.

2 weeks later
#1151 7 years ago

^ Very nice!

4 weeks later
#1162 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

All right, I know I said this about 2 weeks ago.
Then I thought "AHHH F*CK IT - LONG TIME DEAD!" and went and bought a new car.
Yeah, I'm a hypocrite. Blow me.
rd

Man, if you are going to be a hypocrite, at least get a brand you haven't owned before!

#1176 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Most people just aren't as familar with the Lexus F-types. Pretty aggressive styling. I think they are sweet, but just crazy money for what you get.

What specifically are you referring to when you say "Lexus F-types?"

What RD got is an RC-F. That car has a V8 with 467 hp. Sweet car.

But if you are talking about something like the RC-350 F sport (306 HP V6) or the RC-200t (4 banger turbo) I agree with you.

When I purchased my car in October, I narrowed my choice down to the STi and the Lexus RC-350 F Sport. Test drove both cars 3 times. The last time I test drove them, within 30 minutes of each other, it became crystal clear to me that the STi was *much* more fun to drive than the Lexus.

The RC-350 F sport, for lack of a better phrase, has zero soul. The 8 speed auto tranny is a sluggish slush box. For 306 hp the car felt slow and lifeless (again, the transmission didn't help). Very nice looking car, but even the handling wasn't that impressive compared to the STi.

I didn't test drive the RC-F because it was out of my price range. But if I were going to buy a Lexus, that would be the one that I'd have to consider, as I imagine it has plenty of soul with that V8 and 467 horses.

#1180 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

With the greatest of respect (as always!) though, comparing those two cars is like comparing apples and oranges.
STI is a point and shoot rally car. You could pop a cage in it and do entry level rally events. It's 400 pounds lighter, turbo, 4wd ...
The Lexus 350 is a powerful touring car. If you were driving to Phoenix every week, that's what you'd buy. Not comparable performance wise to an STI or Evo, just totally different cars. The power might be he same, but it's a radically different type of power delivery.
If you wanted "fun" (as defined by boy-racer terms) then the STI would be the only choice.
Here's pinsides first ever PINgument! (The opposite of CARgument..) It's like comparing Ironman to Woz! Totally different categories of game.
I'd venture to say STI and RCF are totally different too. STI would be very hard to beat for bang for the buck, they have always been a performance bargain.
rd

No reason to preface your opinion by saying "with the greatest of respect" RD, especially considering that you didn't really disagree with anything I said.

Even though I didn't come out and specifically say it, the sum of my post was exactly what you said: those two cars are indeed *very* different. They are both four door cars that are "sporty" though, so I would not go as far as saying that it is an "apples to oranges" comparison. Just like you *can* compare IM to WOZ because they are both pinball machines...which excel at different things.

The slushbox in the Lexus was worse than I expected, and in the end did more to kill any chance of me buying that car than anything. Combine that with the V6 that really felt like it had been detuned (probably to keep it more bulletproof), and the much lower price of the STi, the decision was easy. Still love the looks of the IS-350 F sport though. Fit and finish of the car is great. They really do need to ditch that ridiculous analog clock in the middle of the dash though. Totally out of place IMO. Yeah, it's retro, but not in a good way.

#1181 7 years ago

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these for my next vehicle in a year or two. Went out with a few friends yesterday and had a blast.

Messages_Image(3888561431)_(resized).pngMessages_Image(3888561431)_(resized).png

#1184 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That'll be handy on the Riverside freeway.

Well, that's redundant too, because *nothing* comes in handy on the Riverside freeway!

Quoted from MrBally:

Rob, remember, if you will do any off roading, never get a Sahara. The painted fenders get ruined every trip out. The black rubber/plastic ones on Sports & Rubicons are easily "repaired" with some Armor-All or black shoe polish.
San Bernardino & Riverside; what lovely places. I'll be in the area this week.

I'm already doing my research!

There are some people who are of the opinion that you should go with the cheapest option (the sport) because most people upgrade the majority of components anyway. However, even if that is the case, there is still a very compelling case for the Rubicon because of all the other upgrades that it comes with over the sport, including things like the Dana 44 rear end.

There are a ton of great places to go wheeling out here. We found some great off road spots in Angeles Oaks, Forest Falls and towards Big Bear.

We didn't try this one though because one of the guys in the group was a newbie....but some day I'd love to take this trail:

#1188 7 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

If you dont plan on going balls to the wall with upgrading, then go with the Rubicon. Its stock features with just a few essential aftermarket add-ons will suffice most. If you plan to do some serious wheeling and want to upgrade nearly everything under the body, you are better off starting with a sport.
As for painted fenders I say go for them if you like the look. You could always modify them to be easily removable like I did. I could remove or install all 4 in a couple of min.

Nice Rubicon! I love that color. I really like those wheels too. What size are they? How much of a lift did you do?

That soft top looks great too. Haven't seen one like that.

#1190 7 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

Thanks! The wheels are Rugged Ridge XHD's with the optional rock rings attached. They are 17x9 and I am running a 35" tire in those pics. I only run a 2.5" lift because with the fenders removed I still get more than enough flex for the wheeling I do (which is still more adventurous than most would do).
The soft top is an OffRoad Heros Multi top. It comes with 2 different rear sections. The cargo top (which is pictured) and a fastback top. http://www.californiatops.com/

Thanks for the info. My friend's Rubicon also has a 2.5 inch lift with 35" tires. He felt like the tires hit a couple times, so he's not sure if the 2.5" lift was quite enough. Not sure what/where they were hitting though. It was minor. I know you don't want to lift any more than absolutely necessary.

As I said before, I am probably more than a year away from being able to move to a Jeep, and this is probably a good thing anyway, as the rumors are that the next gen Wrangler (2018 MY) will have an 8 speed auto tranny. It also appears likely that they will offer a Diesel motor as an option.

Not sure how I feel about going with a Diesel. I know a lot of people are very excited about this option though.

Edit: forgot to add that the other rumor is that Jeep will offer a pick up version of the Wrangler for the first time as well.

#1196 7 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

I wouldn't call it a "low power" car, but it certainly was built to handle the road/track/twisties:

Did you have to pay over sticker? The dealer out here was asking $20k over sticker.

#1200 7 years ago
Quoted from Olddragon:

Now, I expect a lot of folks to jump on here and accuse me of being an idiot for paying MSRP for a car (a Ford, no less!) but, believe it or not, MSRP is a good deal for a GT350.

I do believe it based on my experience.

Every single time I show interest in a vehicle it turns out that they want a premium over sticker. Porsche GT4, Hellcat, Alfa Romeo C4, GT350 (not even to mention the R variant). Even my STi (special edition) was marked $5k over sticker by the dealer (I wound up paying a tad under sticker).

You watch, when the next gen Jeep Wranglers are announced, the dealers will be charging a premium on some of them, especially if the truck version comes out.

#1212 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

why would he want his car to be slower?

Funny. Slower by .1 of a second 0-60? Yeah, I'm sure he would miss that huge disparity in speed driving on the NZ roads.

As stated by TheLaw, the reason someone might want his car "to be slower" is to make it more fun and involving to drive, and requiring more driver skill.

Quoted from rai:

IMO a manual is still fun, especially in my anemic Legacy. I'd still prefer MT in a S2000 , Miata type car but luxury/GT like a M3 probably just as well with paddle shifters.

I couldn't agree more! If I had gone forward with the purchase of the BMW M3, I definitely would have gone with the DCT. With my STi? Even if an automatic was an option, I never would have even considered it in that car.

Quoted from Astropin:

With modern 8 speeds and paddles I don't (personally) see the need to ever own a manual ever again.

It depends on the car! See above. I can't imagine having something like a Miata or STi with an automatic tranny. When you get near 400hp, then the 8 speed DCT's make perfect sense.

The upcoming Camaro will have a 10 speed auto tranny!

#1213 7 years ago

Now we have confirmation that a Jeep Wrangler pickup truck is coming. Spy photo:

Messages_Image(1876578597).pngMessages_Image(1876578597).png

Messages_Image(3152700667).pngMessages_Image(3152700667).png

#1215 7 years ago

Upcoming Camaro ZL1 will have 640hp and available 10 speed automatic. I wonder what the price will be? Won't be cheap. I'd probably rather have a Corvette Stingray even though it won't have nearly the same hp.

http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1.html

#1217 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You can also get it with a 6 speed manual. That thing is going to be pricey. I would also take a Stingray over the ZL1 (since the ZL1 really doesn't have a usable back seat anyway). Buddy of mine has a convertible ZL1 (2014 ?) with 580hp. Cool car, but I need a usable back seat (for now).

That car is a perfect example of one where I would definitely go with the automatic over the manual. 640hp?! Yeah, a 10 speed auto tranny with paddle shifters would keep me plenty busy and engaged. That much hp with a manual would be challenging to drive in terms of getting all the performance out of the motor. The manual does have auto rev matching for down shifts though.

#1223 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

And paddle shifters aren't all that unless we have dual clutches behind them

Absolutely! Anything less than a DCT in an automatic tranny is a non-starter.

On another note.. I love the Wrangler Unlimited, and have thought about getting one for years as a sort of "around town" vehicle. The highway ride with appropriate tires would probably wear on me after a short time.

Please don't get a Jeep Wrangler for use as a "around town" vehicle. That's the very definition of "poser."

#1225 7 years ago

Please don't misinterpret. I would use it as it was designed (as much as I'm able in my area), but it would also serve as a nice vehicle to drive around the area I live. I live a few blocks from a lake, so getting to some fishing spots or places to hang out would be well within its capabilities. I don't intend to keep it exclusively on paved roads with stickers all over it telling people they don't understand.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

#1230 7 years ago

Saw this article today, and it goes to exactly what I was talking about earlier in this thread in terms of not getting the full enjoyment out of an expensive sports car with lots of capability and speed when on the streets. These cars belong on the track. Article discusses a modified Lotus Elise with 305hp. That's the same hp as my STi.....but it weight 1500 pounds less!

http://www.6speedonline.com/articles/drive-lotus-elise-streets/

#1231 7 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Gonna try and hold out for one of the new mid engine vettes

You got big bucks? Because I've heard that the mid engine Vette is being designed to compete with the Ford GT, and will be priced accordingly (but not in Ford GT territory). Most people believe it will be priced at a minimum of $150k. And if it does come out, you can be sure that they will sell for above sticker price for a good while.

#1232 7 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Wonder if it'll fit a pin inside?
» YouTube video

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that transmission is not a dual clutch. Shifts are slow and ....slushy.

#1234 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My buddy had an Elise and let me drive it...jesus that thing is fun, but it's really really tiny.

Yep, ridiculously small. But that's what makes them so fun to drive! Loved my Lotus Exige S, but that was purely a weekend car.

Lotus10_(resized).jpgLotus10_(resized).jpg

Lotus6.jpgLotus6.jpg

#1237 7 years ago
Quoted from BoozeMarlin:

Purely speculative for now, but I've read by 2020 it's expected the C7 will be phased out and that all future models, even the base Corvette, will shift to the mid-engine platform. Time will tell.

I hope it happens. I have owned 3 mid-engine cars, and there is just no beating them for handling. The Porsche Cayman can handle better than the 911.

#1239 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

The last 2 mid engined american made cars didn't fair so well. One blew up when it was hit from the rear and the other spent the latter half of its life as a fake ferrari
I'd let Ferrari and Lambo stick to the mid engine builds. (Or Porsche depending on the model).

lol

It probably goes without saying, but none of the mid engine cars that I've owned were American made.

#1243 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Covair was rear engine and didn't blow up that was the front engine Pinto.

My dad owned a Corvair when I was a kid. Car was a piece of crap. I remember sitting at a stop light with the top down and my dad sees smoke and flames bellowing out of the back. He starts yelling "get out of the car kids, the car is on fire!"

Good times!

#1250 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Tried to talk my wife into a Tesla, but she was INSISTENT on another Chrysler minivan. *shrug* what can you do. I mean the Chrysler IS a great deal right now -- since the Town and Country is being discontinued, they're selling them for peanuts. but sighhhhh. The upside is, being there re-ignited my desire for a hellcat. I told the salesman if he can find a plum crazy one with the two-tone interior ... We'll talk. Very very nearly pulled the trigger back in January, but decided it was too close to my current ride (a plum crazy SRT8 from 2010). I'll continue to think about it. Model S would probably be the alternative.

Are they selling Hellcats at sticker price yet?

I checked local inventory about a week ago, and there appears to be a ton of Hellcats in stock at dealer lots here in SoCal.

#1253 7 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Hellcats are not being listed above sticker here anymore. I'm not interested in paying above MSRP anyway.

Right, which is why I was asking if they even list them over MSRP anymore. Not surprised to hear that they don't since, like I said, the supply of them here in SoCal is plentiful. That was obviously not the case when they were selling well above sticker.

The Hellcat is actually a good deal at or below sticker for what you get.

Another interesting thing to see is that the vast majority of the new Challenger Hellcats in stock are the 8 speed automatics. Those were selling for a premium last year as well because they were even harder to find (and were in high demand). Dodge really underestimated the demand for the auto.

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Yes they are. Check out Hellcat.org for all things Hellcat!

I'm already a member of that forum, just haven't been keeping up with it for several months now.

Edit: wow, this is local to me. New red Challenger Hellcat with 8 speed auto selling for nearly $2800.00 below sticker. How times have changed in 13 months:

http://www.redlandschryslerdodgejeepram.net/new/Dodge/2016-Dodge-Challenger-8ac7ac2e0a0e0ae8318c7be2be60ec86.htm

#1258 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I just saw a show where they did a "Head to Head" with the Dodge Charger Hellcat vs the Tesla S85D with the question of which one is more "Bad Ass"?
Their thought was, both American made sedans.....both super quick. Of course one is $130,000 and the other is half that. The Tesla was quicker to 60 and in the 1/4 mile (barely) but the Hellcat was going 124mph at the 1/4 mark and the Tesla was going 113! So the Hellcat was closing fast.
Winner - Hellcat by a nose. He said driving the hellcat made his cheeks hurt from smiling so much. The Tesla was super cool in a techno way but just didn't have the visceral impact of the Hellcat.

I saw the same video. I completely agree with their conclusion. No way that the Tesla is going to have the same visceral feedback as the Hellcat.

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

How often are you really getting over 120mph?

Straw man alert!

#1263 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Unless you're on the track, none of us are likely to be going 120mph very often.

Again, straw man.

Who said anything about going 120mph on the street?

Quoted from flynnibus:

I would never buy a car because it did 200+ instead of 175mph...

Straw man alert.

#1275 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Is it part of lawyer training to say Straw man a lot?

No, the training is to only say it when it applies.

#1276 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Lots of people I work with drive Tesla, they're nice cars but IMO a bit bland for 6-figures.

Exactly right. An attorney I know has one, is really proud of it, and loves it. He gave me a ride in it and showed me the all the gadgets and the acceleration. Yes, the acceleration was definitely impressive (and unique), but still, for having such good acceleration the car still seemed a bit bland and boring overall, especially considering the price. Car is much more of a higher end luxury car to me than anything.

I agree with Roostking, the V8 is going the way of the dodo bird. V6 turbocharged motors, and eventually more electric motors similar to those in the Tesla, are in our future.

#1281 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think you are both underestimating the ZF "TorqueFlite" 8 speed transmission which is capable of 160ms shifts. Not to mention the 14% fuel economy gain over a modern 5 speed.

After reading some more articles about the Camaro ZL1 and it's 10 speed auto transmission (interesting that it was co-developed with Ford!) and they claim that it shifts about 25-30% faster than Porsche's PDK (DCT) transmission.

You can hear the passenger say how fast it shifts, and the driver says "faster than a DCT":

#1284 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Here's a question what would be your pick
Mustang GT350
Corvette Stingray
Camaro Z28
Hellcat
911 Carrera

Substitute the new Camaro ZL1 for the Z/28.

#1291 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Ok, think I'd go 911 (GT350R or Corvette) before the Cat or ZL1, price is higher for the Porsche though.

I am a Porsche lover. I'd rather have the 911 too. But I think something like the GT350R or the ZL1 (which will eat the GT350R alive) is the better value/performance ratio, by far. I don't expect the ZL1 to have the same (world famous) steering feel as the 911, but the 911 Carrera won't have the same hard hitting acceleration as the ZL1 either (especially since you are talking the non "S" version). 370hp for 911 vs 640hp for the ZL1. The Porsche will be about $40k more.

#1292 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Being 20% faster than pdk isn't an accomplishment. It's slow as shit.

Huh?

#1297 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

I would not even blink and buy the Gt350, even more so if R. That car is special and will be worth way more down than 'vette and Porsche because they are normal models. Hellcat and whatever special Camaro of your choice may hold money like the GT 350.

What's so special about the GT350? The motor is great with the flat crank, but what else?

The ZL1 will run circles around it when it comes out.

Corvettes don't hold value well at all. Porsches hold their value much better. The value of Hellcats are on the decline. As I mentioned earlier, there are a ton of them sitting on dealers lots locally, and you have them advertising prices nearly $3k below sticker (and I figure if they are advertising them for that, you can get them for even less).

#1308 7 years ago

I've been arguing with myself over which would be the better way to go (not anytime soon, mind you).

The new ZL1 Camaro packs quite a punch. The official numbers are out, and it is actually putting out 650hp and 650 ft lbs of torque, which is the same as the Corvette Z06. The suspension includes the Magnetic Ride technology that is also on the Z06. It will also have available the 10 speed automatic as discussed previously.

It appears that the base price will be about $62k. This car will not have too many options available, mostly the 10 speed tranny.

By contrast, the new Corvette Grand Sport has the Z06 wide body and vents/skirts as well as the Z06 suspension. However, it has the non supercharged V8 that puts out 460hp (instead of the Z06 and ZL1's 650hp). The advantage of this is that it will not overheat like the Z06 is known to do. Base price of the Grand Sport is $66,445.00. It will not have the 10 speed as an option, but the old 8 speed that wasn't particularly well regarded.

If you add the Z07 package (which includes carbon ceramic brakes) it will add $8k to the sticker price.

I'm honestly not sure which car I would rather have. I really love the looks of the new Camaro's front end. But I can't stand the rear end. The complete opposite is true with the Corvette. Can't stand the grille, but absolutely love the back end.

One thing that works against the Camaro is the fact that there are a billion of them out there, but I do think the ZL1 distinguishes itself well with that big cowl on the hood. Corvette's aren't exactly rare around here either.

Which would you choose between the two?

Messages_Image(3293467851).pngMessages_Image(3293467851).png

Messages_Image(2022437692).pngMessages_Image(2022437692).png

#1311 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

If you want to carry people in the car with you, or take a road trip, neither car works, so you might as well do a Vette.

Definitely agree with the back seats in the Camaro not being able to do anything like a road trip with kids in the back. But having the backseat would be nice if I found myself in a pinch.

The main drawback to the new GS Vette vs the new ZL1 to me is the fact that the 2017 GS will not have the 10 speed that the ZL1 will have.

I have not owned an auto transmission car since 1996. The new automatics are really good, and I am willing to give one a try. But the 8 speed auto in the currrent Vette isn't very good, especially compared to what the new 10 speed (that will be in the ZL1) can do. I would imagine that they will get the new 10 speed in the Corvette sooner than later, but not for the 2017 MY.

And what about the extra 190 hp that the Camaro ZL1 would have over the Corvette Grand Sport?

#1316 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

How many more pounds is the camero lugging around? That will eat that up quick

About 400 pounds heavier than the Corvette. GS: 3450 lbs. ZL1: 3850 lbs.

The HP to Weight Ratio for each car:

Corvette Grand Sport: 7.5 lbs per HP

Camaro ZL1: 5.9 lbs per HP

So the ZL1 still has a fairly significant power to weight advantage over the GS (about 22% better?). Having said that, lighter is always better, and I would expect the GS to handle noticeably better than the ZL1 simply based on weighing 400 pounds less. Braking would probably be better on the GS as well.

#1317 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

FYI in other news, you can buy a new right hand drive Mustang here in NZ and Australia now. They have sold heaps of them too. Becoming dime a dozen ... You see them every time you go out.

You are talking about the new GT350 with the flat plane crank V8? Seems crazy that Ford can get production ramped up for down under so fast but the US market is still lacking.

No question that they will be a dime a dozen here eventually as well.

That's the good thing with the RCF (and the ISF before it). You never see them around, so you have something pretty unique.

Agreed! And that's something that I have always tried to do: have something unique that you don't see a ton of. My Porsche Boxster Spyder was very rare. Same with my Lotus Exige S. Third Gen RX-7's were fairly rare too. And even my STi isn't something that you would say are a dime a dozen.

Like I said earlier, my biggest problem with the ZL1 would be the fact that it's a Camaro, and there are millions of them out there. Corvette's aren't as common as a Camaro, but they are very far from unique or rare here in SoCal.

That's why I should just get a Jeep Wrangler. You don't see *anyone* driving those!

#1321 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Nah, just upspecced GT Models thus far. But you can order "go fast" bits with the car.
rd

Ah, but that is a completely different animal than the new GT350.

STis are pretty common around my area. It makes sense, it's a great daily that's actually practical in winter. They're not nearly as common as Mustangs or Camaros, though.
Is the backseat of the Camaro really that bad? I like the power and the looks, but I've heard the sightlines are dreadful. A rear seat of any kind is better than nothing for a guy like me with a (small) kid, but I'd like them to be able to stand the back for a drive when they're a little older.
That's a tough call between the GS and the ZL1.. if you think you could go without the rear seat, I think I'd rather have the former.

Visibility in the Camaro is as bad as it gets!

And I agree it's a tough and interesting choice which is why I was interested in seeing what others thought. Backseat would still be nice but I just bought my oldest daughter her first car so a backseat isn't going to be as important as it was...especially by the time I'm ready to buy again.

#1323 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

No shit Sherlock!
rd

So why did you bring it up, Watson?

#1330 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

LOL, if you think Mustangs are a dime a dozen there, you should see it stateside. They are basically chick cars...

Exactly. That's why I thought RD was talking about the GT350.

Quoted from rotordave:

This. Amazing how many people buy a car based on "headline" performance figures, and then sit in traffic jams all day.
You may as well buy a Prius.
rd

I sit in traffic jams on a regular basis.

I can guaranfuckingtee you that I ain't buying no GD Prius!

Quoted from Roostking:

Magazine racers who never even come close to the limits of a car. You have to think about what you will be doing with the car 90% of the time, not the 10% that you may or may never come close too.

Agreed. The ZL1 is obviously way more power that I would even need or use on the street. Wouldn't make much sense to buy a car like that unless I was going to take it to the track. Of course even though it has a lot less power, the same could be said for the Corvette Grand Sport.

#1335 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

"It is the Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, and it can be yours for a starting price of $62,135 for coupe models, and $69,135 for convertibles, General Motors announced Monday. Those prices include destination charges, but do not include tax, title or dealer fees. "

Ha! I guessed the price pretty damn close.

Quoted from RobT:

It appears that the base price will be about $62k.

Been looking at the Corvette Grand Sport pricing, and the base price is $66,450.00, so it's a little more than $4k more than the ZL1. But the difference appears to be that the Corvette will have quite a few more options that many will "need" vs the Camaro, so it will probably cost at least $7k-$8k more than the ZL1.

#1339 7 years ago

I bought the RX8 so I could haul a kid or two. I already have one. My wife had an ultrasound yesterday.. we're having TWO more...
That puts a pretty serious limitation on the cars I can have that still haul the whole family. I'll probably sit tight with what I have for now, but I'm also thinking about eventually turning it into a Chevy SS. It would be a 3rd car, so I'm not wild about spending the SS money.

When I first read your post I thought you were referring to the Camaro SS. I went and found this video which I thought would make you feel real good about that purchase too. Then I realized a Camaro isn't going to have more room than your RX-8 (which made me read closer and saw you were referring to the SS). Posting video regardless. lol

#1342 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

No, it is not just you. I completely agree and love the new Corvette styling. The GS looks awesome with the wide body rear fenders and all the other touches. Not having a supercharger would be a plus in my book because that is less to go wrong and it already makes great horsepower.

The Z06 is well known for having heating issues related to the SC. Many are also of the opinion that the Z06 can't really handle that power well at all, while the Viper ACR handles it's power extremely well. The early reviews of the Corvette Grand Sport are extremely positive, saying that it is a much better balanced car than the Z06.

I'm starting this video where they discuss their subjective opinions of the Z06:

#1348 7 years ago

The new generation Ford Raptor with the High Output Ecoboost V6 can be ordered now. Base price for the Crewcab is $52k. Options add up quickly, and many people on the Raptor forum have optioned theirs out to around $61-$66k.

The Raptor looks pretty bad ass though. The stock suspension with Fox shocks (3 inchers) with reservoirs are impressive. 2 inches more movement than prior gen Raptor.

Raptor or Jeep Rubicon? Hmm. The Jeep really needs suspension and tire upgrades from stock. I don't think the Raptor does, so the cost difference between the two isn't quite as much as it would seem on paper.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150raptor/

1 week later
#1362 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

RobbyTs new car search is over!
But you gotta wait 4 years for it ....
I'd upload a photo but I can't on my iPhone at present. Pinside is broken.
So click on the link instead.
http://www.motoring.com.au/mazda-rx-9-locked-in-103563/
rd

Very interesting! Glad to see that the rotary will live on.

#1371 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Probably not the thread for this (but what the hell). We just picked these up last Saturday:

2016 Kawasaki STX-15f and Ultra LX
My wife and I have ridden for years (but never owned) and our kids really just started riding this summer....so we decided to get our own. These are not "top of the line" supercharged models. We just like to have fun on them....tossing them around and making sharp diving turns......no need to do over 70mph on the water. The Green one will top out around 65 and the big one around 57. Both can pull skiers, tubers...etc...
First day out:

Very cool! Brings back great memories.

Skiing behind a Jet Ski is better than a boat...the wake is a lot smaller. We've done houseboat vacations on Lake Powell more than a half dozen times. So nice to take things at your own speed, go out on the ski boat or Jet Ski's whenever the urge hits. Have fun!

Lake-Powell-2008-35 (resized).jpgLake-Powell-2008-35 (resized).jpg

Lake-Powell-2008-37 (resized).jpgLake-Powell-2008-37 (resized).jpg

Lake-Powell-2008-45 (resized).jpgLake-Powell-2008-45 (resized).jpg

Lake-Powell-LG (resized).jpgLake-Powell-LG (resized).jpg

#1373 7 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

This would be the Muscle Car I would buy today if I didn't want my Raptor anymore (2017 Mustang Shelby GT350):

Post pictures of your Raptor!

What's your opinion on the new one?

#1375 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

20k markup near me on a 350R

Never mind the R version, stupid dealer here had $20k markup on the regular GT350.

#1386 7 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

2014 Roush Supercharged 600hp Raptor. The Roush exhaust on this truck sounds amazing, better than any muscle car I've had in the past. It's tough to think of getting rid of this, it does everything, and does it well.. rides like a cadillac, hauls pins and arcade machines, and getting on the 600hp motor is a blast on the street or in the dirt.
I like the new Raptors coming out, but I prefer a V8 and the 6.2 motor over a ecoboosted V6. The most appealing part of the new Raptors to me is the upgraded electronics and options, like lane change warning, parking cameras, and all the new stuff. As of now I have no plans on upgrading, the Roush factory supercharged Raptors are pretty rare and I'm still smitten with this package.
I really have fell in love with the GT350 though, and my dealer wants my Raptor back badly. Wish I could haul a pinball machine in a Mustang!

That's super sweet! Would definitely hang on to that for awhile

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to get a Raptor or Jeep Wrangler for my next vehicle.

1 week later
#1408 7 years ago

Hey RD, your custom plate is a non-sequitur on the Lexus.

3 weeks later
#1437 7 years ago

Damn, Pez = Darryl from TWD!

Messages Image(498814025) (resized).pngMessages Image(498814025) (resized).png

#1446 7 years ago

Looks like Dodge wants a piece of the Ford Raptor pie:

#t=58

37 inch tires!

#1449 7 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Concept truck, but I certainly hope it goes into production. I see Raptors everywhere..

Yes, concept. Looks like it has the Hellcat motor in it.

I hate the front grille.

5 months later
#1505 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Not an issue for other manufacturers. Audi R8 v10. Ferrari. Lambo. All make massive power with awd cars.

Did you just compare Audi, Ferrari and Lamborghini to Chrysler?

3 weeks later
#1531 7 years ago

1 month later
#1549 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Anyone here have an STI? Considering getting one. Any problems?
robt I believe has one?

I sold my STi (actually I traded it in) for a new 2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock.

The young salesmen at the Jeep dealer thought I was crazy! Their jaws dropped when I drove up in the hyperblue STi. Even a young female salesperson asked to sit in the car and listen to the exhaust.

I loved the car overall. It handles incredibly well. Still felt that it was just a bit underpowered (I leased it so other than the exhaust I kept it stock). Never had a single problem with the car. Overall a great experience and nothing but good memories.

But the Jeep bug hit me, and there's no looking back.

#1551 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah plus hyperblue is fucking awful

lol

There does seem to be a love/hate thing with that color.

#1561 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

They're not the only ones.
Mind you, better to choose a Jeep for your mid life crisis than a Harley I guess. Haha!
rd

In all honesty, I can't see myself selling the Jeep for a very long time.

You can't sell a way of life!

#1562 6 years ago

...and, suspension upgrades being installed as we speak..

Skids also purchased and ready for installation.

IMG_2069.JPG (resized).jpegIMG_2069.JPG (resized).jpeg
IMG_2074 (resized).JPGIMG_2074 (resized).JPG
IMG_2076 (resized).JPGIMG_2076 (resized).JPG
IMG_2064-1 (resized).JPGIMG_2064-1 (resized).JPG

FullSizeRender-1 (resized).jpgFullSizeRender-1 (resized).jpg

FullSizeRender-2 (resized).jpgFullSizeRender-2 (resized).jpg

#1564 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Now you need a BBK

I sure do.

Was tempted to buy one that was on sale a few weeks ago, but with the money I've put out in the last month I am trying to recover before I buy one. It's definitely on the list.

#1567 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Big balls kit?
Haha!
rd

I already got me one of those RD!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hellcat-has-arrived?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.