Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pecos
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally MPU Parts List 2 (resized).png
    Bally MPU Parts List 1 (resized).png
    Bally Return Module (resized).png
    00606_37pL6TQMXiP_1200x900 (resized).jpg
    Williams Replace Boards (resized).png
    66063131_0.jpg (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I like mysteries. As I collect more and more pinball machines I find mysteries for which I have found no answers. Do you have any pinball mysteries of your own? If you do, please post them here!

My Mysteries:

1. Steve Kordek, while working at Williams, invented the drop target in 1962 for Vagabond. Williams used the drop target, but only one at a time. Gottlieb took the drop target idea and expanded on it with banks of drop targets. Without a doubt, Gottlieb can be thought of as the drop target king and many of their 70s games used them even though Williams was the first to use the modern drop targets that we are so familiar with. The Mystery - Why did Williams allow Gottlieb to have a monopoly on the popular and lucrative pinball feature drop target banks until the late 70s??

2. Many of the Project Pins I find are missing the backbox back door. I understand that back doors can be separated from their machines. The Mystery - Where all of these back doors?? Were they used to keep oil from dripping on garage floors? Is there a room somewhere in the universe where some alien has hoarded a gazillion pinball machine back doors?

3. I often find the coin boxes in the Project Pins I buy. However, the coin box top is usually missing. The Mystery - What happened to all of them? Why would they be removed in the first place?

4. The Mystery - Why didn't Williams label their early SS boards - IC, capacitor, connectors, etc.?

5. IPDB: "Triple Action was the first game to feature just two flippers at the bottom of the playfield. Unlike in modern machines, the flippers faced outwards. These flippers were made more powerful by the addition of a DC (direct current) power supply. These innovations were some of many by designer Steve Kordek." #Triple Action, Genco 1948.

The Mystery - Why did early EMs use DC powered flippers and later games, especially in the 70s, did not have DC powered flippers even when DC powered slingshots and pop bumpers were standard?

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Why would they be removed in the first place?

Easier for coins to drop in and not jam up on the lid. Especially if you had a mound of coins in one spot.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Easier for coins to drop in and not jam up on the lid. Especially if you had a mound of coins in one spot.

Good answer! So the manufacturers didn't make the coin boxes deep enough and put the coin mechs high enough?

The coin box lids are designed so they can be locked with a common key or combination lock that only the operator has. The operator can distribute keys for the coin door allowing for removing stuck balls without access to the coins in the coin box. This keeps the honest employees honest. Removing the coin box lid defeats this design. I won't be removing mine!

#4 6 years ago

Speaking of pinball mysteries......whatever hapened to Timeshock being made into a real machine????

#5 6 years ago

Why do we continue to pay big money for the latest game, before we have played it?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

The Mystery - Why did Williams allow Gottlieb to have a monopoly on the popular and lucrative pinball feature drop target banks until the late 70s??

In interviews with the designers at the time, they've all said that they really didn't pay that much attention to what their competitors were doing, so I'd assume the williams designers just liked single drops. Similarly Gottlieb using tons of banks wasn't because they were super popular or anything, their designer just decided he liked them.

Quoted from Pecos:Why didn't Williams label their early SS boards - IC, capacitor, connectors, etc.?

Williams seems to have tried to save some money by not having a silkscreen layer at all. They did label the pin numbers in copper, so maybe they just couldn't fit all the IC numbers in with the actual circuitry?

Quoted from Pecos:The Mystery - Why did early EMs use DC powered flippers and later games, especially in the 70s, did not have DC powered flippers even when DC powered slingshots and pop bumpers were standard?

It should be noted that only Genco used DC, and they used it for everything. Other manufacturers at the time used all AC, probably due to problems with early diode tech. Once bridge rectifiers got better/cheaper williams+bally started using them on their pops to liven up the games. Why didn't they use them on flippers? I asked once and no one could give a good reason: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/why-no-dc-flippers.

#7 6 years ago

I thought I'd read in one of the Pinball Compendiums that Gottlieb didn't patent their playfield devices. They just wanted pinball to be awesome and didn't care if a competing company used their ideas.

I have a mystery of my own to solve: who did the artwork for International Concepts? We know that Trudeau was the designer and Premier/Gottlieb manufactured the games, but no artist is credited. A lot of the elements and style look like the work of Larry Day, but he left Premier the year before the IC games were released. Maybe IC pieced it together from sketches Day left behind or hired him as a freelancer after he left? Or maybe it's a different, unknown artist's work.

#8 6 years ago

My question is what happens to all the bells & chime units? I can understand missing back doors but why are bells or chime units missing for a good many machines?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

My question is what happens to all the bells & chime units? I can understand missing back doors but why are bells or chime units missing for a good many machines?

People needed doorbells for their house? lol

#10 6 years ago

What do people do with their used balls?

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I have glass jars filled with used balls. Figure ill make something one day with a used ramp, wire form or something.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I tried recycling them once. Got about $0.012 for each one. Two dozen used balls didn't even pay for one new one.

I still hate to just throw them away, though.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

I tried recycling them once. Got about $0.012 for each one. Two dozen used balls didn't even pay for one new one.
    I still hate to just throw them away, though.

Somone was selling a pyramid stacking device on pinside. Cant find it. Looked clever.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Somone was selling a pyramid stacking device on pinside. Cant find it. Looked clever.

Here it is, looks like the kickstarter was not funded

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pyramid-bracket

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

It should be noted that only Genco used DC, and they used it for everything.

Bally also used them on certain machines that required a consistent kick, like 1955's Gay Time, with the Magic Pockets unit.

And some of the earliest electromechanical machines used DC (dry cell batteries).

Quoted from too-many-pins:

My question is what happens to all the bells & chime units?

From another thread I read recently, certain export games did not have bells or chimes installed. Why? Dunno. I would imagine that whatever locality/country didn't allow bells/chimes would require an importer to remove them as well. Eventually, some of these found their way back to the States. I do not know if this is true or not, but seems plausible, as many of the games without bells or chimes have fresh screw holes as well. Modular chime design probably also made them easier to swap in from a game that was in storage vs. taking the time to change a coil.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

So the manufacturers didn't make the coin boxes deep enough and put the coin mechs high enough?

Then you'd need the floor of the cabinet lower.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

No idea what to do with them. I have a box of rusty ones. May be good anti-Zombie shot in the future.

#18 6 years ago

Maybe not one of the "greatest" mysteries, but...what was the REAL reason Solar Fire production was limited to less than 800 units? I think many of us have heard the story about a lawsuit from some sci-fi show/movie production company regarding the artwork, but I wonder if anyone knows the truth, and specific details?

Richard

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Why did Williams allow Gottlieb to have a monopoly on the popular and lucrative pinball feature drop target banks until the late 70s??

It wasn't exactly a monopoly as Williams continued to use drop targets. Maybe they never found the need to put 10 to 20 of them on almost every game and used other interesting features instead, like the swinging target for example.

After all, Williams had already used drop targets in many different interesting ways so they were moving forward by then.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from Reznnate:

I just bought one here:

I was going to get one, but I thought $20 was a bit much....

#22 6 years ago

On the flip side, Gottlieb was the first to use spinners, but it was other manufacturers like Williams and Bally that really put them to good use in the 70s.

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

The Mystery - Why did early EMs use DC powered flippers and later games, especially in the 70s, did not have DC powered flippers even when DC powered slingshots and pop bumpers were standard?

I didn't think it was a mystery that Gottlieb did indeed use DC flippers on EMs in the latter part of the 70s.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I didn't think it was a mystery that Gottlieb did indeed use DC flippers on EMs in the latter part of the 70s.

Gottlieb is the only one that does make sense. Although they waited a long time to introduce DC at all, once they did they used it for everything as you'd expect.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Although they waited a long time to introduce DC at all, once they did they used it for everything as you'd expect.

It wasn't on many, but a few of the last EMs they did.

I remember playing an EM Joker Poker on location, and had to take a double look at the "Gottlieb" name on it, because I was amazed at how powerful the flippers and everything else were on this one. Back then, that seemed like a bit of a mystery I guess.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Some spanish pins has a belly under the pinball, at the front, to allocate a deeper cash box, I Will take pics if you like

Type 1

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

Type 2
    66063131_0.jpg (resized).jpg66063131_0.jpg (resized).jpg

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from waffen_spain:

I Will take pics if you like

No need. Lots of the gambling pins had full fronts on them to the floor.

Makes a pinball cart useless.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No need. Lots of the gambling pins had full fronts on them to the floor.
    Makes a pinball cart useless.

Check the pics, no full fronts

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from waffen_spain:

Check the pics, no full fronts

Like this one ?

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2735&picno=5391

#30 6 years ago

Aaaarrrghhhh! My eyes!!!

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Why do we continue to pay big money for the latest game, before we have played it?

Typically in most manufacturer's cases because a pre-orderer can either:

A: obtain a refund prior to final delivery when a product iteration doesn't meet the initial promised expectations. Strike one.

B: be assured of a quality product designed and built by those with industry experience and no tainted reputations. Strike two.

C: that the title will have universal appeal/recognition, have kept up with current technological pinball trends and thus will have good resale value on the secondary market. Strike three.

#33 6 years ago

I might have an answer to this mystery:

Quoted from Pecos:

4. The Mystery - Why didn't Williams label their early SS boards - IC, capacitor, connectors, etc.?

After posting this mystery I remembered reading somewhere that operators were expected to return their Williams boards for replacements. This blurb from the Black Knight Operators Manual supports that.

Williams Replace Boards (resized).pngWilliams Replace Boards (resized).png

Perhaps the early Williams boards weren't meant/designed to be user friendly?

Quoted from LTG:

You mean like this cabinet from Moulin Rouge?

00606_37pL6TQMXiP_1200x900 (resized).jpg00606_37pL6TQMXiP_1200x900 (resized).jpg

This style of pinball cabinet didn't last long.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

This style of pinball cabinet didn't last long.

I'm thinking Gottlieb used a similar drop down cabinet for a while.

But the biggest mystery of all is why did they ever stop making that cabinet with the shelf on the front where you could set your drink down.

#35 6 years ago

Here's a mystery for you: Wheel of Fortune. How do you play it?

There doesn't seem to be a rule sheet available online and Bowen's "tutorial" on YouTube is reactive, explaining what just happened rather than explaining the game logic and detailing what to shoot for and why. It focuses mainly on Multiball and mostly ignores the puzzle-solving aspects.

Can someone who knows their way around WOF please write up a detailed rule sheet?

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

I might have an answer to this mystery:

After posting this mystery I remembered reading somewhere that operators were expected to return their Williams boards for replacements. This blurb from the Black Knight Operators Manual supports that.

Perhaps the early Williams boards weren't meant/designed to be user friendly?

I'm about 100% certain that warning is meant simply to inform operators when replacing boards in the game, what level of boards must be used and how they must be configured. In other words, don't try to pull an MPU from a level 6 game sitting in your warehouse in an attempt to quickie repair your level 7 Black Knight out on location so it keeps earning. Don't swap the wrong game ROMs in. Don't plug in the game ROMs with the jumpers set incorrectly. etc.

Richard

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

There doesn't seem to be a rule sheet available online and Bowen's "tutorial" on YouTube is reactive, explaining what just happened rather than explaining the game logic and detailing what to shoot for and why. It focuses mainly on Multiball and mostly ignores the puzzle-solving aspects.

Can someone who knows their way around WOF please write up a detailed rule sheet?

It is like any other modern game, it doesn't come with rules. But with each code update there is a read me sheet that explains features as they are added to the game.

So basically when the next code update comes, you read that sheet and it will explain more in depth what the goals of the game are.

#38 6 years ago

Why were pinball o-rings traditionally white? Seems like black would have been a better color to not show dirt.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from 64bsstp:

Why were pinball o-rings traditionally white? Seems like black would have been a better color to not show dirt.

It's not about dirt. White rings have superior bounce qualities. Still many games well into the 90s used white from the factory. Quality of available white rubbers went down, so now almost all new games come with black. If you look hard enough, great quality white rubbers are available, but not from most of the usual vendors.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from 64bsstp:

Maybe the same as with car tires?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm thinking Gottlieb used a similar drop down cabinet for a while.
    But the biggest mystery of all is why did they ever stop making that cabinet with the shelf on the front where you could set your drink down.

Because while they are cool looking, they do not "feel" right. You can't lean up against the cabinet. They throw your playing stance off.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

You can't lean up against the cabinet.

That's a big plus IMO. I am yet to start a game just by leaning on the cabinet.

Nothing wrong with playing stance either. I stand back and rarely if ever have my junk close to the coin door.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

Set up in a tournament you nail the skills shots and that's like 75% of it

#44 6 years ago

When I go on road trips why do the waitresses not look like the ones on Bally Night Rider?

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

When I go on road trips why do the waitresses not look like the ones on Bally Night Rider?

Because you only eat at Waffle House?

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It is like any other modern game, it doesn't come with rules. But with each code update there is a read me sheet that explains features as they are added to the game.
    So basically when the next code update comes, you read that sheet and it will explain more in depth what the goals of the game are.

I'm pretty certain WOF isn't getting any code updates ever. It was a dud from the start and I think only a few hundred were made. Yet Somehow they sell for over 3K and I've seen them in the wild now and then. I'm still curious about it, not that I'm looking to buy.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Set up in a tournament you nail the skills shots and that's like 75% of it

I never much cared about points or tournaments. What about solving puzzles, spinning the wheel and collecting prizes?

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from TopMoose:

What about solving puzzles, spinning the wheel and collecting prizes?

I'm fairly certain I read a rulesheet on it one time but I can't turn it up on google now...

2 weeks later
    #48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Not Williams, but the Bally Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man manual refers to replacing the 'modules' as the last option in their trouble-shooting guide. I'm sure that Bally preferred this option over fixing the boards since they would make more money sending out replacement boards. There is no mention about returning the old boards.

Bally Return Module (resized).pngBally Return Module (resized).png

Quoted from someotherguy:

I'm about 100% certain that warning is meant simply to inform operators when replacing boards in the game, what level of boards must be used and how they must be configured. In other words, don't try to pull an MPU from a level 6 game sitting in your warehouse in an attempt to quickie repair your level 7 Black Knight out on location so it keeps earning. Don't swap the wrong game ROMs in. Don't plug in the game ROMs with the jumpers set incorrectly. etc.

Richard

Yes, the warning is included to warn the operators, but Bally included the 'module' parts numbers in their parts with instructions how to order.

Bally MPU Parts List 1 (resized).pngBally MPU Parts List 1 (resized).png

Bally MPU Parts List 2 (resized).pngBally MPU Parts List 2 (resized).png

This conversation started with this question:

Quoted from Pecos:

Perhaps the answer is that, like Bally, they wanted operators to buy new boards and perhaps that is why they didn't label their early SS boards.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-greatest-pinball-mysteries-of-all-time?hl=waffen_spain and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.