Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,009 posts
  • 332 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Brtlkat
  • Topic is favorited by 65 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    IMG_1269.gif
    IMG_0069 (resized).jpeg
    97D18CBD-4C1A-443B-8CCA-ADBB33BAF683 (resized).jpeg
    51FE0CB8-9EF2-41CC-ADDB-1B10DEE2EBB6.gif
    pasted_image.gif
    Shithead 2 (resized).png
    Shithead (resized).png
    knowMore (resized).png
    Screenshot 2024-07-14 at 2.25.24?PM (resized).jpeg
    baby-throw.gif
    Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 5.07.26?PM (resized).png
    Daffy (resized).png
    Jaws (resized).png
    freight-train-I_hpMain_20210516-232202_16x9_992 (resized).jpg
    There are 2,009 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 41.
    #1551 39 days ago
    Quoted from shopguy:

For me, pinball is more valuable than gold, because I value happiness and fun, and pinball helps provide that to me.

You, sir, have obviously never thrown a gold bar around like a football or worn one as a hat.

#1552 39 days ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Im sure these guys are everywhere, but there is a flipper in my area that has bought up every single reasonably priced machine in the last several years only to double the price and list it the next day (after doing literally nothing to it). I lost out on several decent deals due to this guy. The best part of the dropping prices for me is seeing his numerous ads sitting week after week, despite him dropping the price. Makes me smile.

First time?

#1553 39 days ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Im sure these guys are everywhere, but there is a flipper in my area that has bought up every single reasonably priced machine in the last several years only to double the price and list it the next day (after doing literally nothing to it). I lost out on several decent deals due to this guy. The best part of the dropping prices for me is seeing his numerous ads sitting week after week, despite him dropping the price. Makes me smile.

A tale as old as time…

#1554 39 days ago
    Quoted from NPO:

First time?

Not really. I just find it funny seeing these assholes stuck with machines they can't sell.

#1555 39 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Money isn't the problem. Then you say they are overpriced.... so money is the problem?

Lack of money isn't the problem. Wasting it on overpriced bullshit they keep churning out in piles that I have no interest in is.

But, that's not really a problem either, now is it?

#1556 39 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Lack of money isn't the problem. Wasting it on overpriced bullshit they keep churning out it piles that I have no interest in is.
    But, that's not really a problem either, now is it?

Talking in circles sure is

#1557 39 days ago

That’s insane. For the price of a Stern accessories package, you can have a whole ass game. Ultraman rules, someone needs to jump on this.

#1558 39 days ago

those deals never come to the west coast...

#1559 39 days ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:

those deals never come to the west coast...

Or the East coast.

#1560 39 days ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Or the East coast.

Or anywhere in Canada.

#1561 38 days ago
    Quoted from JakeFAttie:Spice; spice is the problem! You can only find it on Arrakis, and you need it to see the future of the pinball market.

I hate missing out on an inside joke!

Also, someone please pick up that Ultraman, that's just crazy...

#1562 38 days ago

That Ultraman is now sold. Not to me.

#1563 38 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Talking in circles sure is

If they were to do a Circle Jerks machine, I might be interested. How can they fuck that up?

1 week later
    #1564 30 days ago

Seeing HUO Spike 2 Stern Premiums falling below $7,500. Honestly surprised. Seems we’re in the lull until the tax returns revitalize the market. When Spike 3 gets released I’d imagine the 2’s could take another hit.

#1565 30 days ago
    Quoted from MiniPinHead:

Seeing HUO Spike 2 Stern Premiums falling below $7,500. Honestly surprised. Seems we’re in the lull until the tax returns revitalize the market. When Spike 3 gets released I’d imagine the 2’s could take another hit.

Remember all summer and fall people are going to be getting notice of final payment for Looney Tunes, Funhouse, Texas Chainsaw, Pulp Fiction, Alien Ripley's..
    Then a possible Metallica Vault..
    Then JJP announces Harry Potter right before expo.
    Then Jack Dangers next Cornerstone.
    And Spooky with Beetlejuice in December.

If that's how it happens.... there's gonna be a mass of collector's looking to raise cash and make some room.
    This summer could be the best used prices are going to be for sellers.
    I wouldn't want to try selling a recent game in the fall... if the above games are announced.

#1566 30 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s insane. For the price of a Stern accessories package, you can have a whole ass game. Ultraman rules, someone needs to jump on this.

That layout, whether halloween or ultraman is only about $4000 worth of fun to me. So, sure, thats a deal. Go get it.

#1567 30 days ago

If it hasn't been said yet, I'll throw my opinion out there: I think we've reached the beginning of The Great Pinball Crash.

Prices are falling on used games in a big way. I just took a bath on a game and I'm about to take a bath on a second. I also purchased two games WELL below market value, and I'm about to get a third for a good 2-3k below market vs the last few years. Plus, just observing the prices on games out there, it's as good as it's ever been.

It's a buyers market right now, imo. We're here guys. This is the crash you've been talking about.

#1568 30 days ago
    Quoted from MiniPinHead:

It usually pops back around Halloween…. But the wind feels different this year…. Will be interesting to see how prices roll at Xmas.

In the meantime I’m enjoying buying the dips.

#1569 30 days ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

If it hasn't been said yet, I'll throw my opinion out there: I think we've reached the beginning of The Great Pinball Crash.
    Prices are falling on used games in a big way. I just took a bath on a game and I'm about to take a bath on a second. I also purchased two games WELL below market value, and I'm about to get a third for a good 2-3k below market vs the last few years. Plus, just observing the prices on games out there, it's as good as it's ever been.
    It's a buyers market right now, imo. We're here guys. This is the crash you've been talking about.

It was silly that people could USE something and the price went up. It should be like any used item, unless actually rare and desirable. Not every game that comes out from every little manufacturer should retain value. Some are not as good as others. In the end, its just a wood box of blinky lights.

I bought a 7k prem with topper, shaker, blades, armor, and a couple other mods recently. Felt like I did pretty good considering the added stuff. Ended up being like a 6k prem before the adds? Game was $8500 new? Prices be fallin.

#1570 30 days ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Remember all summer and fall people are going to be getting notice of final payment for Looney Tunes, Funhouse, Texas Chainsaw, Pulp Fiction, Alien Ripley's..
    Then a possible Metallica Vault..
    Then JJP announces Harry Potter right before expo.
    Then Jack Dangers next Cornerstone.
    And Spooky with Beetlejuice in December.
    If that's how it happens.... there's gonna be a mass of collector's looking to raise cash and make some room.
    This summer could be the best used prices are going to be for sellers.
    I wouldn't want to try selling a recent game in the fall... if the above games are announced.

With the exception of Harry Potter, I don’t think any of those titles will excite the market. Tons of Jaws LE’s (AAA themed Elwin) still available and a basically new one with over $1k in mods sitting at $11.5 OBO. Even so, used prices will probably continue to soften until overall economic sentiment turns up and/or Stern throttles back price. Stern’s, and JJP’s, strategy of including more mod-like extras in MSRP is falling flat.

#1571 30 days ago

To sum it all up, “the juice simply ain’t worth the squeeze” at these prices.

#1572 30 days ago

I'm happy to see this finally happening. I find it so delicious watching all the panic selling. It's going to be nice for the prices to return back to normal after this period of noobs coming into the hobby and driving the prices up to ridiculous levels.

It's a great time to be a collector and a horrible time to be a flipper or pin investor. It's going to keep going down from here. No new themes are going to relight the fire in the coming months.

#1573 30 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I'm happy to see this finally happening. I find it so delicious watching all the panic selling. It's going to be nice for the prices to return back to normal after this period of noobs coming into the hobby and driving the prices up to ridiculous levels.
    It's a great time to be a collector and a horrible time to be a flipper or pin investor. It's going to keep going down from here. No new themes are going to relight the fire in the coming months.

Good

#1574 30 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Couldn't have said it better. The gentrification of this hobby was fucking absurd. $13K for an LE - GTFOOH with that shit. Absolutely stupid for prices to get that high. Premiums at $9500...yeah, blow that out your ass too.

And IF Stern ever drops MSRP, that'll just prove they raked people over the coals for years and maxed their profits. Yeah, I'll remember that. There's a reason my latest two Sterns were Game of Thrones and JP...prices got stupid and I got tired of being given less lube while the ankle bruises got deeper in purple.

Bowen's video on JP got me to purchase, else, yep, GOT would be my most recent Stern. Enough was enough FFS.

#1575 30 days ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Couldn't have said it better. The gentrification of this hobby was fucking absurd. $13K for an LE - GTFOOH with that shit. Absolutely stupid for prices to get that high. Premiums at $9500...yeah, blow that out your ass too.
    And IF Stern ever drops MSRP, that'll just prove they raked people over the coals for years and maxed their profits. Yeah, I'll remember that. There's a reason my latest two Sterns were Game of Thrones and JP...prices got stupid and I got tired of being given less lube while the ankle bruises got deeper in purple.
    Bowen's video on JP got me to purchase, else, yep, GOT would be my most recent Stern. Enough was enough FFS.

I can't see how Stern doesn't drop prices. These games don't have shit on them. Lift up a playfield and there's nothing there. They were stacking money on these things. The noob cash well has dried up and we're due for a correction. Probably won't be till next summer though because Stern will continue to be hopeful. A huge idle factory is expensive tho so I could be wrong.

#1576 30 days ago
    Quoted from NPO:

The gentrification of this hobby was fucking absurd. $13K for an LE - GTFOOH with that shit. Absolutely stupid for prices to get that high. Premiums at $9500...yeah, blow that out your ass too.

WORD.

#1577 29 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

So if the noobs, pin investors and flippers are gone, who's buying anything new to "panic sell" to you at a steep discount?

Stern raised the price of premiums by $2k in the last few years and added nothing besides a QR scanner. For your master plan to work, the manufacturers are going to have to slash pricing as well

#1578 29 days ago

Pinside’s price estimates always lag far behind market reality. I wonder why? It is using an average of all sales? If it used an average of sales in the last six months only maybe that would be more accurate. robin

#1579 29 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I can't see how Stern doesn't drop prices. These games don't have shit on them. Lift up a playfield and there's nothing there. They were stacking money on these things. The noob cash well has dried up and we're due for a correction. Probably won't be till next summer though because Stern will continue to be hopeful. A huge idle factory is expensive tho so I could be wrong.

It’s kind of shocking really.

Wick is puny sitting next to Venom and FOO LE’s. And that’s saying something. MM is on the other side of it.

Stern is trying to over sell the benefits of IC in place of physical mechs and innovation.

Gotta have BOTH!

#1580 29 days ago

I have no desire to buy a NIB game right now, despite a potential dream theme. I have games that I enjoy and keep me busy. No rush to sell any unless I can buy a replacement used game at the same price. Losing $1k on a NIB pro or up to $3k on a premium is not a sustainable lifestyle for me.

I’m sure Stern’s revenues are trending downward and that is not sustainable when cost of capital is so high. I’m sure they are paying around 9% on their line of credit. I predict we see a shift in their strategy come 2025. Whether it’s lower pricing or by packing more in their games.

#1581 29 days ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Stern is trying to over sell the benefits of IC in place of physical mechs and innovation.

Dude, Wick has a diecast car and brown plastic box on the playfield. What more could you possibly want?!

#1582 29 days ago
    Quoted from mbl1116:

So if the noobs, pin investors and flippers are gone, who's buying anything new to "panic sell" to you at a steep discount?
    Stern raised the price of premiums by $2k in the last few years and added nothing besides a QR scanner. For your master plan to work, the manufacturers are going to have to slash pricing as well

There is no master plan, it's simple supply and demand. Stern is going to cut pricing. The panic selling is temporary and is a nice time to buy except we don't know where the bottom will be.

Panic selling is going to lead to an overall reduction in NIB sales both with people buying up the discounted games as well as people that are afraid to jump in since they don't want to take the instant depreciation hit on their new game.

Organically this theoretically should allow the invisible hand of the market to cause prices to stay relatively stable except people are emotional and as prices continue to drop more people will try and get out. You see it now. There's a run on the market already happening.

It's not going to stop anytime soon until prices hit that sweet spot of adjustment. I'm thinking Stern pros will probably settle in at pre covid prices.. sub 6k for pros and sub 7k for premium.

Time to short sell some Sterns esp any LE model.

#1583 29 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

There is no master plan, it's simple supply and demand. Stern is going to cut pricing. The panic selling is temporary and is a nice time to buy except we don't know where the bottom will be.
    Panic selling is going to lead to an overall reduction in NIB sales both with people buying up the discounted games as well as people that are afraid to jump in since they don't want to take the instant depreciation hit on their new game.
    Organically this theoretically should allow the invisible hand of the market to cause prices to stay relatively stable except people are emotional and as prices continue to drop more people will try and get out. You see it now. There's a run on the market already happening.
    It's not going to stop anytime soon until prices hit that sweet spot of adjustment. I'm thinking Stern pros will probably settle in at pre covid prices.. sub 6k for pros and sub 7k for premium.

Stern will follow auto manufacturers where, rather than cut prices, they'll cut production. Instead of flooding the market with machines like with Venom or Zeppelin where no demand means prices get cut, they'll just scale back production to keep the prices where they are for as long as they can. And just like GPU/car/phone manufacturers, pinball makers that raised their prices to higher amounts will depress the market for a while until funds recover for their demographic.

#1584 29 days ago

To add to what's being said, particularly with Stern...

Aren't they owned by a PE firm? It's going to be hard for them to price adjust given the fact that every single PE firm wants their portfolio to grow. Stagnation isn't an option. And even though a smart PE firm will diversify their portfolio, if there's a clear underperformer, something will have to change. The question will be if Stern's investment group will be smart enough to readjust projections.

Spoiler alert. They aren't. Because NO PE firm I have ever been involved with is ever willing to LOWER profit.

I think EVERYONE got greedy with the COVID money injection. Why would I sell you a game for $5000 when there's a line of people willing to spend $6000?

#1585 29 days ago

I see numerous complaints about Wick and $13K LE's. However keep in mind that the Premium $9700 and LE $13K price tags started with James Bond in September 2022.

Before that time, the LE's were (almost) always sold above MRSP on the secondary market and Stern decided "join the party" on these (missing) profits.

Not drinking Stern's Kool-Aid, just bringing facts.

Now in Early/Mid 2024, things have changed and is finally starting to go back to normal where used merchandise (cars, boats, RV's...and pinball machines) are hitting the "usual depreciation market".

Now it is time for Stern to re-adjust their pricing. Not saying they will (or won't), but either they do to keep some inventory flow or they'll be stuck with a crapton of inventory to which they'll need to sell at liquidation prices.

Dropping their price will sure as hell make people here pissed off of paying "Covid premium" if they did, but some industries has done it before (Current/Previous Tesla owners can attest to that!). The other option is..err...I don't know why (well I do, but to make a point!), but I know that currently in Canada, a crapton of brand new Fisker Ocean SUVs are available at roughly 50% of their MRSP...with warranties (LOL!).

And Oh! BTW!, Stern DID drop pricing before (albeit a few hundred) from 2017 (pro 6200/prem 7900) to 2019 (6000/7600)...time to bring this back IMHO.

#1586 29 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Try 4k pros and 5500 prems. Its already getting there.

#1587 29 days ago
    Quoted from HayfieldDad:

Stern will follow auto manufacturers where, rather than cut prices, they'll cut production. Instead of flooding the market with machines like with Venom or Zeppelin where no demand means prices get cut, they'll just scale back production to keep the prices where they are for as long as they can. And just like GPU/car/phone manufacturers, pinball makers that raised their prices to higher amounts will depress the market for a while until funds recover for their demographic.

^ This.

Nothing is changing until at least December regarding this "Great Pinball Crash". The world is volatile.

#1588 29 days ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

^ This.
    Nothing is changing until at least December regarding this "Great Pinball Crash". The world is volatile.

Hmmmm.....seems like its already started...my guess is it will continue for a couple years especially on modern Sterns (premium/LE), and all JJP games. Personally I think Stern IC is a waste of time and energy.

#1589 29 days ago

It’s just beginning.

#1590 29 days ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

It’s just beginning.

No doubt

#1591 29 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Stern is also a big part of the supply problem... they'll likely start to choke supply before dropping prices. Cut down on the # of releases a year is the obvious step #1. Monetize existing sales with accessories and future DLC to keep going back to the well. That drives up revenue in the existing addressable market.

The issue in this market is the high durability of used product. That means the movement of used games significantly impacts the buying of new games. The less new buyers are entering the market, the more pronounced this effect. The sale of new games is tightly linked to the ability of buyers to liquidate their used games at a friendly rate.

This isn't simple 'supply and demand' - This is a luxury durable good. The Demand line is driven the most by expanding the buyer base. That's what happened the last 5+ years. New buyers flooding into the pool. That's why you see Stern trying to embrace social media people OUTSIDE the normal hobby folks... Stern is still trying to drum up new buyers, not just keep selling to the existing market.

When selling a game at nearly no loss due to the lack of supply and simultaneous growth in buyers.. the price pressure on NIB games was low.. because of high residual value and the liquid nature of the game's value. Just lowering prices won't sustain that... you need fresh buyers. Otherwise demand will plunge as potential buyers will get stuck trying to move their games. And lowering prices hurts that market even more (see recent telsa price drop).

The correction is here now because supply is healthy and the number of options is expanding as fast as it ever has... while growth of the hobby/buyers hasn't kept pace with recent supply expansion.

They'll cut supply to keep that more in check... and startups are going to have to increase their desirability significantly to become relevant. Games at the level like Ninja Eclipse aren't going to do it. You need a game like Labyrinth.

#1592 29 days ago

I can't speak for others, but I'm done paying these bullshit prices for machines. And with the themes I'm hearing could come out, nothing is gonna change my mind. Shame on them (and us) for the prices becoming what they are.

#1593 29 days ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Dude, Wick has a diecast car and brown plastic box on the playfield. What more could you possibly want?!

Wait wait, are we there yet? Looking back fondly on the “Mick on a Stick” days?

I might be there. lol

#1594 29 days ago
    Quoted from HayfieldDad:

Without a doubt... they will try to cut variable costs. They'll have layoffs, reduced 401k contributions, bonuses, healthcare... all of the stuff we deal with out own jobs. They'll hit their suppliers over the heads with price reduction requirements and so on. I am sure some of this has probably already happened.

Ironically.. games like Venom and Wick are probably the ones that will be worth the most in 5 years because of the limited runs.

If I was running Stern... I'd be pushing as many new releases as possible. The spaghetti on the wall theory. Pump out 5 releases a year in hopes that a couple blow up to be big sellers. It prevents too much inventory of any one title so the prices should be stickier.

A lot of the (expensive) parts are common (boards, cabinets, LCDs) so it gives them a fair amount of flexibility.the designers and programmers are essentially a sunk cost (unless you get rid of them). I am not sure how they license their IP .. if it is a set amount, a % of each game, or a hybrid that has a minimum amount and then a % after the min has been reached (which is probably likely).... so there may be an issue of amortizing the cost license through fewer units... but I bet they could figure that one out.

#1595 29 days ago

Folks expecting Stern to start cutting prices AND packing their machines with more extras and such are taking crazy pills. Price cuts are just going to lead to more cost cutting as well all around, they aren't going to suddenly be giving us more packed playfields, complex mechs, and all these cab extras suddenly ontop of price cuts.

#1596 29 days ago

It's funny watching so many people finally say what I've been saying for multiple years. Stern trying to make profits off flipper prices is what led to this, and will continue to be the ultimate downfall. Too many other things out there to spend money on that actually feel like value. Most of us have always known that the main driving factor to NiB sales was resale value, and since they clearly didn't care about that and were more concerned about short term gouging, they will now suffer for it. Maybe they won't go out of business, but tick off enough of your niche client base, and you will not recover. It's the same story for almost any company who has done such things. Clearly though, they will probably be the last to feel it the worst. Sadly, we'll probably lose some other manufacturers first, and we'll be back in the 2000-2010 era of meh.

#1597 29 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

It's funny watching so many people finally say what I've been saying for multiple years. Stern trying to make profits off flipper prices is what led to this, and will continue to be the ultimate downfall. Too many other things out there to spend money on that actually feel like value. Most of us have always known that the main driving factor to NiB sales was resale value, and since they clearly didn't care about that and were more concerned about short term gouging, they will now suffer for it. Maybe they won't go out of business, but tick off enough of your niche client base, and you will not recover. It's the same story for almost any company who has done such things.

Stern definitely let the kitty out of the bag, time will tell if they can round it back up again.
    First place to start is to bring pricing back down to pre-covid or at least early covid pricing. LE's 9500, Premiums 7500 and Pros 6000

#1598 29 days ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

ames at a friendly rate.

This isn't simple 'supply and demand' - This is a luxury durable good. The Demand line is driven the most by expanding the buyer base. That's what happened the last 5+ years. New buyers flooding into the pool. That's why you see Stern trying to embrace social media people OUTSIDE the normal hobby folks... Stern is still trying to drum up new buyers, not just keep selling to the existing market.

This is a great point. I didn't look at it this way. Stern having that media day trying to bring in these 'influencers' is a complete move of desperation.
    It's the canary in the coal mine. They realized that their typical market is on pause so they need to drive new blood into the hobby.
    Great observation.

#1599 29 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This is a great point. I didn't look at it this way. Stern having that media day trying to bring in these 'influencers' is a complete move of desperation.
    It's the canary in the coal mine. They realized that their typical market is on pause so they need to drive new blood into the hobby.
    Great observation.

They should focus on the CONSUMER and not the “content creators”

If some fool buys a game or doesn’t based on what some blowhard says then they deserve to get screwed.

There is no amount of BS sales techniques that will get people to keep paying these prices.

I’d like to hear the justification for the LE going from $10,500 to $13k with Bond.

And that ridiculous $20k Bond SLE. 500 is not SLE

And then it stays there for a pin like Venom and now Wick.

That’s idiotic.

It’s not a one size fits all strategy.

#1600 29 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Great observation.

Good luck, Stern, on getting the communities behind those Arcade 1up influencers to fork out the crazy money your machines cost.

There are 2,009 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.